1v1 Resources Thread

Mega-Sableye For A Rank

Mega-Sableye has amazing defensive stats, typing, move pool and a one of the best ability combos for a mega. Having prankster can give you a huge advantage against fast pokemons, for example you can will o wisp or calm mind on the first turn depending on the opposing pokemon. Having access to calm mind gives this pokemon amazing stall abilities and pair that up with will o wisp and recovery and you have one of the best stall pokemon in this meta. Having Mega - Sableye on your team can mean that you don't have to worry about huge threats like Meloetta and Kyu-b.

Moveset

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Snarl
- Calm Mind
- Recover

This move set hits hard against many S and A ranked pokemon. Snarl as a sound move gives you a chance to hit through substitutes. It also has a 100% chance of lowering your opponents SpA which helps you even more against Special Attackers.
CM, WoW and recovery help you outstall the majority of the meta.

Common Pokemon that it beats: Kyu-b, Meloetta, Chansey, Pory-2, Mega-Slowbro + every stall and most of the band users.

Common Pokemon that it looses to: Mega-Mawile, Zard-x, Zard-Y.

In my opinion Mega-Sableye fills the requirements of A ranked pokemon. Its a threat you need to be vary of if you don't have a counter for.

Moving Meloetta to the S rank.

Thanks to it bulk, great typing and amazing special attack accompanied with unpredictable sets Meloetta earns itself a position in the S rank. It has the power and bulk to beat most of the 1v1 Pokemon, and if you don’t have a Pokemon for it you will suffer. Shifting through Perish Song set and Specs set, Meloetta becomes unpredictable. Perish song being able to bet Pokemon that normally win against the specs and vice versa.

Ban perish song. (Meloetta) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 244 HP / 196 Def / 68 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Perish Song
- Trick Room
- Substitute
- Protect

Common Pokemon it loses to:

Mawile-Mega, Salamence-Mega. Taunt.

Great Team Mates:

Kyurem-Black: Kyurem-Black serves as a great first bodyguard to Meloetta as it resolves some of it weaknesses such as Charizard Mega Y, Gyarados Mega, Dragonite.

Mega-Charizard-X: Second Bodyguard deals with Mega mawile, and to an extent chansey.

Mega-Salamence: With a substitute and dd can get rid of chansey, dragonite, other Meloetta, Gyarados Mega, Charizard Mega Y.

Mega Mawile: Deal with Mega Gyarados, Chansey...

Therefor Meloetta moves to S rank.

Rumplestiltskin is going to hate me for that
Why I suggest magic coat. Meloetta is slower than a lot of the meta regardless (other than megamaw), and if you manage sub first, then you'll have to TR the next turn.

Mega-Sableye For A Rank

Mega-Sableye has amazing defensive stats, typing, move pool and a one of the best ability combos for a mega. Having prankster can give you a huge advantage against fast pokemons, for example you can will o wisp or calm mind on the first turn depending on the opposing pokemon. Having access to calm mind gives this pokemon amazing stall abilities and pair that up with will o wisp and recovery and you have one of the best stall pokemon in this meta. Having Mega - Sableye on your team can mean that you don't have to worry about huge threats like Meloetta and Kyu-b.

Moveset

Sableye @ Sablenite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Snarl
- Calm Mind
- Recover

This move set hits hard against many S and A ranked pokemon. Snarl as a sound move gives you a chance to hit through substitutes. It also has a 100% chance of lowering your opponents SpA which helps you even more against Special Attackers.
CM, WoW and recovery help you outstall the majority of the meta.

Common Pokemon that it beats: Kyu-b, Meloetta, Chansey, Pory-2, Mega-Slowbro + every stall and most of the band users.

Common Pokemon that it loses to: Mega-Mawile, Zard-x, Zard-Y

In my opinion Mega-Sableye fills the requirements of A ranked pokemon. Its a threat you need to be vary of if you don't have a counter for.
Agreed. My moveset is different, but Sableye's ability to harass the meta is incredible.

moveset:

Sableye @ Sablenite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Metal Burst
- Taunt

taunt with MB seems pretty useless,but it stops setup sweepers and other stallers with recovery. Its EVs are in Sp.Def b/c WoW covers most physical attackers. 4 speed EVs to speed creep other sableyes.

Common pokes it beats: Kyu-B,Melo,almost all choiced physicals,almost all stalls, aggron, Greninja
Literally 50% chance to beat: Zard-Y 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Sableye in Sun: 280-330 (92.1 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
Common pokes it loses to:MegaMaw,Sylveon,Mega Altaria
Possibility: Zard-X. If I predict right, I can taunt their ddance and then metal burst. otherwise..
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Sableye: 237-280 (77.9 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Agreeing with Sableye to A rank

Genesect for B rank for higher.

Genesect has excellent coverage for facing the entire tier and with a choice scarf can outspeed and kill most offensive threats. It's afraid of all fire moves but it has reasonable bulk to handle priority and greats offensive stats. Kyurem-B, mega Mawile, non-bulky Salamence, Garchomp, Greninja and mega Slowbro all fall to a scarfed special genesect in one hit. It benefits from a large movepool that includes ice beam, bug buzz, flash canon, flamethrower, technoblast, hyper beam, dark pulse, thunderbolt/thunder, psychic and giga drain/energy ball on the special side as well as a large physical movepool.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Bug Buzz
- Flash Cannon

This Genesect OHKOs most anything with poor defences it outspeeds. Flash cannon takes out Kyurem as well as hitting all fairies hard. Flamethrower beats Mawile and other steel types. Bug buzz is a second STAB that also avoids substitutes to help defeat gimmicks and to handle greninja. Lastly ice beam is there to kill dragons and provide general coverage. Genesect easily functions as a bulkier greninja and with download gets a STAB level boost against physically defensive mons.

I've never tried a physical or mixed set but Genesect has equally great attack and a solid movepool. On the physical side it gets x-scissor and iron head for STAB, gunk shot, zen headbutt, e-speed, shadow claw and giga impact. All of which come with the download boost against specially defensive mons.

Good teammates:
Anything that can handle Charizard is really helpful. Garchomp, Gyarados, diancie and similar make great teammates. Also, when choiced it's a good idea to bring something that beats anti-choiced sets, I use sub-DD mence but anything with a substitute will probably work.

In summary

upsides:
  1. large movepool
  2. good bulk for an offensive poke
  3. 99 speed is great when scarfed
  4. 120 offenses is great, especially when combined with download
  5. when activated download functions like a STAB boost for all moves
downsides
  1. Cannot handle anything fire-type
  2. download is not always useful unless you run mixed

DoW

formally Death on Wings
Agreed. My moveset is different, but Sableye's ability to harass the meta is incredible.

moveset:

Sableye @ Sablenite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Metal Burst
- Taunt

taunt with MB seems pretty useless,but it stops setup sweepers and other stallers with recovery. Its EVs are in Sp.Def b/c WoW covers most physical attackers. 4 speed EVs to speed creep other sableyes.

Common pokes it beats: Kyu-B,Melo,almost all choiced physicals,almost all stalls, aggron, Greninja
Literally 50% chance to beat: Zard-Y 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Sableye in Sun: 280-330 (92.1 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
Common pokes it loses to:MegaMaw,Sylveon,Mega Altaria
Possibility: Zard-X. If I predict right, I can taunt their ddance and then metal burst. otherwise..
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Sableye: 237-280 (77.9 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Agreeing with Sableye to A rank
Given that Metal Burst only works if you move after your opponent you probably want a -Spe nature and 0 Spe IVs/EVs I'd say. Otherwise, it's a strong set.

Porygon-Z

Porygon-Z is one of the most powerful pokemons in the 1v1 meta. It has the power and speed to counter most of the meta. You can't really know what set it is before battling it and thats why it's amazing.
Pz is a threat u need to be vary of because if you don't have a counter for it well git gud scrub.

Why is it so good?

Amazing SpA + Adaptility + STAB Hyper Beam = Monster, its easy as that.

Movesets

Specs
Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SpA / 8 SpD / 248 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Trick
- Ice Beam/Toxic
- Thunderbolt/Trick room/Shadow ball

When running specs and modest you will be OHKO'ng pretty much everything that you are faster(Except SpD wall nublets cough chancey)
You don't really need Ice beam or Tbolt because hyper beam is your best friend, but because ghost pokemon exist i added them there.
Trick room is for Perish song Meloetta and toxic for Chancey and Blissey.
Shadow ball can help you hit against ghost type threats like aegi.

some calcs:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Hyper Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Meloetta: 446-526 (110.3 - 130.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Hyper Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Mega Mawile: 289-340 (95.3 - 112.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Hyper Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-B: 604-712 (133.3 - 157.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Hyper Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 634-746 (176.6 - 207.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Threats

Zard-Y, Not bulky Kyu-B, Mega-Lopunny, Mega-Salamence, Mega-Metagross.

Scarf

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Thunderbolt/shadow ball
- Trick/trick room
- Ice Beam/toxic

To be honest i prefer the specs set but if you need a scarfed pokemon that can OHKO threats this set could work for you.
Again hyper beam is gonna be your bff.

Some calcs:

252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Hyper Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 298-352 (100.3 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Hyper Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 384-454 (106.6 - 126.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Hyper Beam vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Mega Salamence: 408-482 (103.5 - 122.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Hyper Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Lopunny: 348-410 (128.4 - 151.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Hyper Beam vs. 12 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-B: 368-434 (93.4 - 110.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

Threats

Meloetta, ScarfKyu-B, Mega Mawile, Mega-Metagross.

In my opinion A rank is just fine for pz because it has some flaws too.
Note me if there is some flaws n_n

Last edited:
**Aggron+Mega Aggron > A**

Aggron and Mega Aggron are a bit predictable on their own, but clever use of both pokemon together make for a pretty scary pokemon to deal with in 1v1.

Positive traits:
-sturdy + metal burst
-two different abilities at its disposal in one battle
-acceptable attack
-sky high defense

Negative traits:
-vulnerability to substitute
-vulnerability to burns
-no reliable recovery
-vulnerability to perish song

Recommended moveset:
Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Metal Burst
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic

Sturdy + metal burst is a great noob killer, but metal burst itself still has great use on this set. Toxic is used to force setup users to attack aggron and risk being metal bursted to death. Against pokemon like mega mawile, it is possible to disgregard metal burst and simply wear them down with heavy slam due to the sheer amount of bulk that mega aggron possesses. Fake out users mostly still lose to aggron+mega aggron because a super effective hit is incapable of KOing mega aggron, but is enough to give metal burst the power it needs to OHKO them.

Head smash is a situational move that is meant to catch charizard Ys off guard that are hoping to will-o-wisp you. It is also meant to OHKO frail specs attackers that may not give enough damage to be OHKO'd by metal burst such as greninja and genesect. It is not guaranteed, but head smash has the potential to OHKO scarfed kyurem-b when mega evolved to avoid earth power OHKOing.

Shortfalls:
Aggon+Mega aggron is very vulnerable to burns and will almost always lose if it gets burnt. It also greatly stuggles against bulky pokemon that are able to recover health and can generally wear aggron down slowly but surely.

Aggron+Mega aggron stuggles against more defensive pokemon, but is capable of beating many common threats and is extremely versatile. In my opinion, Aggron+Mega aggron deserves A rank.

Last edited:
Given that Metal Burst only works if you move after your opponent you probably want a -Spe nature and 0 Spe IVs/EVs I'd say. Otherwise, it's a strong set.
The thing is, Mega Sableye is so slow, it doesnt really matter if I put in the 4 speed to speed creep other sableyes (while hoping they're not mega).
Also, I've been testing punishment instead of taunt recently. It doesn't work too well, but it does have a few advantages (including defeating other sableyes)

Porygon-Z
Movesets

Specs
Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 8 SpD / 248 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Trick
- Ice Beam/Toxic
- Thunderbolt/Trick room

You don't really need Ice beam or Tbolt because hyper beam is your best friend, but because ghost pokemon exist i added them there.
Trick room is for Perish song Meloetta and toxic for Chansey and Blissey.

Scarf

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Trick/trick room
- Ice Beam/toxic

Note me if there is some flaws n_n
1) chansey is spelled "chansey", not "chancey".
2) There's this very interesting move that porygon-z learns called shadow ball which would probably be more useful in hitting ghosts, unless you have an explicit reason for having them there (maybe ice beam to hit dnite or something?)
3) Trick Room when choiced doesn't work: Turn 1: Meloetta uses Perish Song,TR is up. 2: TR removed,Perish=2. 3: TR added, Perish=1. 4: TR removed, perish. you're faster,you lose.
4)Toxic for chansey/blissey won't work because you're choiced. chansey/blissey will be able to seismic toss you to death before toxic kills them.

The thing is, Mega Sableye is so slow, it doesnt really matter if I put in the 4 speed to speed creep other sableyes (while hoping they're not mega).
Also, I've been testing punishment instead of taunt recently. It doesn't work too well, but it does have a few advantages (including defeating other sableyes)

2) There's this very interesting move that porygon-z learns called shadow ball which would probably be more useful in hitting ghosts, unless you have an explicit reason for having them there (maybe ice beam to hit dnite or something?)
3) Trick Room when choiced doesn't work: Turn 1: Meloetta uses Perish Song,TR is up. 2: TR removed,Perish=2. 3: TR added, Perish=1. 4: TR removed, perish. you're faster,you lose.
4)Toxic for chansey/blissey won't work because you're choiced. chansey/blissey will be able to seismic toss you to death before toxic kills them.
1) Uhm you are supposed to trick first against a Perish song meloetta and then use trick room :I
2) Chansey/blissey rarely uses seismi on the first turn, so thats why trick is your friend.
3) I agree on the shadow ball, gonna edit that now

DoW

formally Death on Wings
1) Uhm you are supposed to trick first against a Perish song meloetta and then use trick room :I
2) Chansey/blissey rarely uses seismi on the first turn, so thats why trick is your friend.
If you trick it turn 1, it'll be locked into perish song and you're faster, so you won't need trick room to beat it. It'd be somewhat useful vs. perish song azumarill, though.
I've played DEG enough with the Chansy vs. Melo matchup that I'll always go for seismic toss first turn. This is similar enough, you can't rely on your opponent not knowing your strats to win.

Illusio

Bold and Brash
Shedinja for Do Not Use Rank

Where do I even begin with this... Shedinja is extremely common in lower ladder 1v1, and, like Magnemite, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to beat it. Pretty much all major attacking types beat Shedinja, and Shedinja even loses it's niche in FU and below because it can't get focus sash. Shedinja is perhaps one of the worst mons that you can choose, and any somewhat competent teambuilder wouldn't bother to at least add one move to beat Shedinja

Tynamo, Magikarp, Wobbuffet, and other shit mons

Pretty much everything not listed in what it beats

Azelea If you could add, a sprite on your sableye analysis that would be great.
Illusio added.

~~~~
Discussing Gyarados-Mega

Does it deserve the S rank? And what kind of set(s) can it run effectively to outshine the other Pokemon in the metagame?​

Azelea If you could add, a sprite on your sableye analysis that would be great.
Illusio added.

~~~~
Discussing Gyarados-Mega

Does it deserve the S rank? And what kind of set(s) can it run effectively to outshine the other Pokemon in the metagame?​

This was the nomination I was going to make, and mega gyara definitely deserves it for a number of reasons:
1) Movepool: With moves that include Dragon dance, Waterfall, Crunch, Earthquake, Outrage, Ice Fang, Stone Edge, and Taunt, it can beat almost anything. It's so easy to just slap one of these on your team and then easily counterteam the rest of the ladder by adjusting the set to matchup well against everything else. Hell, you might even get into the top 10 or something by running 3 of these on the ladder; it's honestly that good.

2) Bulk: its bulk is literally off the charts. You can adjust the EVs to tank almost any hit; I mean, I can just explain this part with calcs (this just shows how bulky Mega Gyarados can get if you do choose to invest in defenses; basically I just want to show how nothing actually ohkos this thing (well, almost nothing):
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Hyper Beam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Gyarados: 332-392 (84.4 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 8 Def Mega Gyarados: 270-318 (68.5 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

3) Power: 155 Attack stat, coverage to hit almost anything; is there really more that needs to be said? Oh yeah, and it gets the dragon dance + intimidate combo too. And it breaks through multiscale and sturdy.

Easy S rank imo

also any reason why you didn't decide to add my other nominations? (skarm to c and magnemite to dnu)

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Isn't Dark Pulse>Shadow Ball 'cause flinches?

1. Mega Ampharos
    C Rank ~~> B Rank

My Thoughts on Mega - Ampharos are its a bulky powerhouse. A Mega Ampharos' max special attack is 471 which can deal damage. With Bulk if you add counter with 252 in defense you can tank a Kyu-B Outrage, Salamance-mega outrage- and Etc.. Speed is not a problem because one of the biggest problems in 1v1 can be Aggron with metal burst, but with min speed metal burst wont do anything being its not like counter or mirror coat with the "always moving last". Ampharos Can Destroy Water Types with thunder or thunderbolt and steel types, mainly ferrothorn, with Focus blast (Ot Hidden Power Fire). Also with counter it can take care of most outraged dragons, but if it is special then you can run Dragon Pulse which with stab and 165 Special attack, it can do major damage. Ampharos Even Takes Care of Rock Types, With Mold Breaker several rock poke are made useless.

Sample Set:
    Ampharos @ Ampharosite
    Ability: Static
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
    Modest Nature
    - Thunder/thunderbolt
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Fire]/Dragon Pulse
    - Counter

The Reason For Thunder is Extra Power. It Has The Same accuracy of Focus Blast so its not like your using a 50 Accuracy move, its a accuracy owned by very good attacking moves. Focus Blast is to take care of steel types. Hidden power [Fire] to take care of ferrothorn which can be a very amazing staller in 1v1 or Dragon Pulse which is for a stab Base 85 attacking move. Counter is used for (possibly) taking down 4/6 of S Rank Pokemon.

What i Beat, Mawile-Mega(Counter) - Charizard-Mega-Y (ThunderBolt) - Charizard-Mega-X (Counter Dragon Pulse) - Kyurem Black (Counter) - Salamance Mega (Mainly Counter but Dragon Pulse Can work) - Then Azumarill, gyrados, Greninja, Rhyperior, Togekiss, and Slowbro.

What I Lose To, Ground Types, special Dragon Attack.

Last edited:

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.
Ok guys i changed my reserve to Lando-I because TTar is shit.

Ok now onto what i think of Lando-I and how it does in this meta.

The set that i use most is this

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Substitute
- Earth Power
- Rock Slide
- Focus Blast

So when i play against zard X it usually delays it's mega an everyone goes earth power focus blast HP ice set up a d dance and win. What i do is set up sub and watch them set-up and proceed to see them break my sub without megaering so as to evade earth power. That's where rock slide comes in scoring a clean ohko and taking them by surprise. Focus blast hits like a truck and beats things like pory2 which earth power can't OHKO. Lastly there is earth power. Aegislash ohko. Mawile ohko. Chansey 3HKO. The power is unreal. CHANSEY 3HKO. Just for that earth power should be there. Kills all the other things this set needs to kill and rounds off its good coverage. Against aggron sub then earth power, so
Metal burst doesn't rape you.

This is only lando set i use and i think this is best one. Thx guys.

I'll reserve Mew because that's one of my favorite mons to use rn

Here's the set I use (and probably the only set worth running), and it does a good job of beating pretty much every single non-fire type physical attacker in the game:

Mew @ Kee Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Roost
- Reflect Type/Avalanche/Psychic/Knock Off/Stone Edge

There are some odd choices right here, let me explain everything:

Kee Berry: Gives an extra defense boost so that Mew can live extra hits like Crunch from Mega Gyarados, Two Play Roughs from Mega Mawile, and just stuff like that. Plus, since Mew is usually for physical attackers anyways, this ends up being its best item anyways. Of course, Lum is always an option, but it's not as good imo.

Synchronise: This isn't too helpful but at least it isn't truant.

EVs: Outspeed Adamant Salamence before mega evolving, and dumped the rest into defense. Max speed or Max defense is an option too, although imo they're not as good.

Will-O-Wisp: Racks up damage, halves damage from physical attacks, and compounded with Kee Berry, almost nothing physical can break you.

Taunt: Prevents set up, recovery, perish song, and various other gimmicks from stopping you.

Roost: Obligatory recovery on a stallmon that (the majority of the time) takes 9 turns or more to finish a match.

Reflect Type: This move makes it much easier to beat crunch Mega Gyara, Steel types with Toxic, Mega Venusaur, and a variety of other mons that have problems damaging themselves. Knock Off is used if you want some damage and remove lefties to speed things up, Avalanche/Ice Beam hits landorus, Psychic is probably your best choice for extra damage, and Stone Edge hits mega charizard Y.

Against stallmons and things that can set up, always use Taunt first, and then Will-o-wisp/reflect type/roost. Against choiced things, always use will-o-wisp first.

Last edited:

Illusio

Bold and Brash
Why I suggest magic coat. Meloetta is slower than a lot of the meta regardless (other than megamaw), and if you manage sub first, then you'll have to TR the next turn.
But Substitute beats Blast Burn/Giga Impact/Hyper Beam and all the other recharge turn moves.

DoW

formally Death on Wings
Dream Eater Gengar why is magnemite still listed under C rank u nub ._.

Terrakion for B or C rank

Terrakion faces some tough competition in this tier, especially from threats such as Rhyperior, however it has a few niches that allow it to remain viable in some ways. Its solid typing and stats allow it to beat a number of tough threats, both offensive and defensive, while a little variation in movepool allow it to remain somewhat unpredictable.
Sets:
Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

This set is reasonably standard and beats a large number of pokemon. Assuming Stone Edge hits it outright beats any charizard set, while Close Combat outright OHKOs even 252/252+ Chansey. It also beats threats such as Mega Gardevoir, Cloyster and Porygon-Z, while having a 37.5% chance of beating Specs Meloetta and Earthquake 2HKOing Mega Mawile after intimidate in case Play Rough misses. Its higher speed stat than Rhyperior is what allows for many of these things, as Rhyperior loses to Mega Charizard Y, Cloyster, Porygon-Z and (dependant on both sets) some Chansey due to this lower speed stat, while Terrakion's Fighting typing is also useful to it at times, such as when facing Porygon2. Poison Jab is chosen to beat whimsicott, while also 2HKOing 252/252+ perish song Azumarill, allowing Terrakion to win assuming azumarill can't manage a triple protect. Earthquake gives Terrakion a chance at beating Aegislash if it manages to crit, though obviously this is a very sturdy counter.
This set also gets a 50/50 with Gyarados, beats most Kyurem-B sets most of the time (252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Outrage vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 288-339 (89.1 - 104.9%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO from scarf, 252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Kyurem-B: 422-498 (92.9 - 109.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO against bulky WP), however it struggles against threats such as Mega Salamence (-1 252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Salamence: 258-306 (77.9 - 92.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO), protect/disable mons and certain stally mons such as counter aggron or pressure-stalling Deoxys-D. However, it still beats a large enough number of high-usage 1v1 pokemon.

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

This second set is in many ways better than the first, however in some circumstances requires more prediction than the Choice Band set while also losing out against a few key pokemon. However it is a strong set due to beating practically every defensive set that beats Choice Band Terrakion (despite many of these being somewhat rare), and still retains the ability to beat most of big threats such as Charizard, Mega Gardevoir, most Kyu-B sets most of the time, and Chansey. It also still beats Perish Song sets most of the time, and can boast beating Giga Impact Mega Salamence and other pokemon requiring recharge moves to beat it but which are slower (at least to start with). However, it should be noted that this set's inability to beat pokemon such as Sylveon and WP Kyurem-B gives it a severe disadvantage in some circumstances, while aggron that successfully predict the set may be capable of beating it with good prediction.
Swords Dance is rarely needed, however there are few better moves to be used in this slot, and it helps beat counter/seismic toss chansey or Mega Sableye that miss Will-o-wisp on turn 1.

Overall: This pokemon has a definite niche in the 1v1 metagame, due to being able to beat a large number of strong pokemon and being somewhat unpredictable due to two different sets. That said, many pokemon such as most Mega Salamence and Greninja comfortably beat the set, while pokemon such as Mega Mawile (especially with iron head), Mega Sableye and Aegislash beat it extremely easily. Moreover, being outclassed by Rhyperior in many ways reduces its viability significantly, meaning that in my opinion it sits somewhere between the following:
B rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are Good in the 1v1 Metagame. These Pokemon have a good matchup against other Pokemon yet suffer against common Pokemon. These Pokemon are adaptable to the metagame.
C rank: Reserved for Pokemon that have a niche in the 1v1 Metagame. These Pokemon have some good matchups against other Pokemon but are hindered by being easily checked by other common Pokemon. These Pokemon have a hard time adapting with the metagame.

Due to the lack of a C+ rank, I guess C rank will do. However, it shouldn't be overlooked if these common threats need an answer on your team and its teammates can cover threats such as Aegislash, Dragonite and Mawile.

I think Victini should move up to A rank. It can OHKO/2HKO many Pokemon. Here is the set I use:

Victini @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Zen Headbutt
- Bolt Strike
- Brick Break

This set has amazing coverage. V-create is it's main move. It OHKOs almost any semi-frail attacker. Zen Headbutt is another nice STAB move. Bolt Strike is to get Water types and Brick Break is just for Rocks, which resist V-create. The only wall/counter would be M-Charizard X, which isn't the most common to me on the 1v1 Showdown! ladder.

Edit: Oh and the 252+ speed outspeeds many fast attackers.

DoW

formally Death on Wings
I think Victini should move up to A rank. It can OHKO/2HKO many Pokemon. Here is the set I use:

Victini @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Zen Headbutt
- Bolt Strike
- Brick Break

This set has amazing coverage. V-create is it's main move. It OHKOs almost any semi-frail attacker. Zen Headbutt is another nice STAB move. Bolt Strike is to get Water types and Brick Break is just for Rocks, which resist V-create. The only wall/counter would be M-Charizard X, which isn't the most common to me on the 1v1 Showdown! ladder.

A few things. Firstly, can you highlight what this thing beats/gets beaten by a little more? For example, things that beat it include dragonite, chansey, aggron, and more which weren't mentioned. Also, what's the reasoning for running brick break over other moves?

Finally, I'm not sure it deserves A rank. While it beats a decent number of the A rank pokemon, it struggles to beat any of the S ranks outside of Meloetta (252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Victini: 330-390 (96.7 - 114.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO), and there's other pokemon that also do the job of physical attacker well in this metagame, with huge competition against Zard X for physical fire-type. Because of this I'd say B or C rank suits it just fine.

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.
A few things. Firstly, can you highlight what this thing beats/gets beaten by a little more? For example, things that beat it include dragonite, chansey, aggron, and more which weren't mentioned. Also, what's the reasoning for running brick break over other moves?

Finally, I'm not sure it deserves A rank. While it beats a decent number of the A rank pokemon, it struggles to beat any of the S ranks outside of Meloetta (252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Victini: 330-390 (96.7 - 114.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO), and there's other pokemon that also do the job of physical attacker well in this metagame, with huge competition against Zard X for physical fire-type. Because of this I'd say B or C rank suits it just fine.
It beats chansey easily e.e

Victini @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Zen Headbutt
- Bolt Strike
- Brick Break

100 base speed actually isnt too much in this meta...
And also, adding to Articuno I's comment, you lacked telling what itself is weak to.
Greninja nukes your victini with hydro cannon
Salamence-Mega intimidates, then giga impacts
Kyu-B outrages
Aggron uses Counter to KO
Aron/Magnemite/Probopass/Pineco say hi
Gengar-Mega uses Shadow Ball
Banded Dnite lives with Multiscale,then outrages
Golem tanks it in, weakness policy, then kills with EQ
Rhyperior tanks in attack and rock wreckers.
Edit: also,swampert mega can only be zen headbutted/brick breaked, and both of swampert's STABs are SE on victini

if you want calcs, i'll add it in, but they should be more or less self-evident.
This isn't meant to bash you, if you feel annoyed, its just that it has many flaws. Its mediocre (for this meta)'s speed and poor typing makes it difficult to adapt to the meta and succeed.

Last edited:
Reactions: DoW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)