1v1 Resources Thread

Rumplestiltskin

I will rain lels all over you and you will drown in them
I agree with this, i use babiri berry on counter togekiss though so it can beat mawile 100 percent of the time.
I wouldn't say 100% of the time if you're planning on KO'ing it with counter, since Mawile almost always has Swords Dance. If you're using Flamethrower on the other hand then yeah we're looking at pretty much beating it 100% of the time.

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.
I wouldn't say 100% of the time if you're planning on KO'ing it with counter, since Mawile almost always has Swords Dance. If you're using Flamethrower on the other hand then yeah we're looking at pretty much beating it 100% of the time.
It lives plus two iron head from mawile, and i never met someone who actually dances against it.

Updating the debate List:

Keldeo: Unranked~~> B or C
Chansey: A~~>S
Meloetta: A~~>S
Golem: C~~>B

Do you think these Pokemon deserve going up a rank? What are their niche in 1v1 and what does they check?
I agree with all of this, apart from keldeo. Easily checked by all of the s-rank threats, and most A rank threats. Besides from beating chansey it doesn't really do much to be honest. At most should be C rank but honestly i think D rank

Last edited by a moderator:

DoW

formally Death on Wings
Cloyster: Unranked ~~> B

Cloyster @ Choice Band
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Spike Cannon
- Razor Shell

Cloyster @ White Herb
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Substitute

I tested on Cloyster's Viability between these 2 Cloyster sets and did over 20 battles with them.

In my opinion, I'd say It's a rank B because it can actually KO a lot of Pokemon in the metagame, especially with its multi hit moves and after the 20+ battles, I found it it fairly adaptable to the metagame, it can possibly beat Pokemon higher than rank B Like Gyarados-Mega, Kyurem-Black, Chansey, Salamence, and Charizard-Mega-X for example, and It could easily tank physical attacks.

Below, are some big advantages and disadvantages of Cloyster
Big Brightsides
Can do a lot of damage with Multi Hit moves
Can beat down F.E.A.R. Pokemon with Multi Hit Moves
Can make Multi Hit moves hit 5 times all the time due to Skill Link
Can tank in Physical moves
Can increase Attack and Speed with Shell Smash
Great variety of movepools

Big Downsides
Extremely vulnerable to Special moves
Rock Blast misses
Status hitting Cloyster
Sometimes outclassed by Cinccino

Each of Cloyster's moves has a significant purpose to why it's even there

• Shell Smash to raise Attack and Speed, Of course it raises Special Attack too, but that's not needed for Cloyster
  • Icicle Sphere is asignificant STAB move for Cloyster to easily KO opponents and has 100% accuracy
  • Rock Blast against those who have rock weaknesses but not ice, or has a resistance to ice but not rock. This move also does a lot of damage but has a huge downside of missing regardless of its 90% accuracy
  • Substitute to prevent status especially from Chansey (which they usually first go for)
  • Spike Cannon against those resistant to ice or rock but not normal. The move is usually rarely used but still great for when it's needed. This move like Icicle Sphere has 100% accuracy
  • Razor Shell for STAB and when the opponent has water weakness. It can also be for steel types who can just easily resist your other moves. This move has 95% accuracy but has a 50% chance of lowering opponent's defense.
Even though Cloyster is rare in the 1v1 Metagame, it still deserves a pretty good viability ranking of B. It's too good for C and Not enough to A!
I'd say a scarf set is worthwhile. I haven't actually run it in about a year, but I found it was very useful against opponents expecting to outspeed and KO as it went for the Shell Smash. This allows it to beat pokemon such as Zard Y, Serperior and if it's lucky Mega Gardevoir, while specially defensive Sableye often makes the mistake of going for taunt first and also loses. That said, I simply don't find the mon all that impressive in the current metagame, and it's almost always outclassed by Kyurem-B from what I've found.

Greninja

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Naive Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Hydro Cannon
- Ice Beam / Gunk Shot
- Dark Pulse / Gunk Shot

Greninja is a potent threat in 1v1, as it has extremely good power, speed, and access to stab on two 150 power moves. A great ability in protean makes Gren even more powerful. Hydro Cannon and Hyper Beam are good due to the raw power of the attacks, and the ability to OHKO many mons with it. Ice Beam is for defeating Pokemon like Togekiss and other flying types easily. Gunk Shot is for dealing with Fairy Types like Gardevoir, Sylveon, etc. Dark pulse is for common Psychic type Pokemon in the meta. Other than that, Dark Pulse may provide Greninja a chance against Pokemon like Golem, who like to abuse Sturdy and Sucker Punch, by having the chance to flinch. The flinch chance also prevents sets like Sturdy Sandstorm Endeavor Aron and other sets like that from working on Greninja some times.

Good ways of beating this set are Scarf Porygon-Z, who can tear through Greninja with Hyper Beam, the rare Unburden Hitmonlee, Pokemon like Golem if the flinch hax doesn't come through, Specially defensive Mawile / Zards, and Kyurem-Black. Chansey also works wonders against this set if used properly, and some variants of the rare Talonflame sometimes pull of a KO. Faster Pokemon are generally able to pull of KOs, and Scarf Jirachi may hax it till it faints. Perish song Azumarill and Venusaur too prove problematic.

Notable Pokemon this set beats are Togekiss, Rhyperior, Non Specially Defensive Mawile, Dragonite, Non Specially defensive Zards, Aegislash, Sylveon (if only used with Gunk Shot), Wobbuffet, MegaMence and much more due to its potent beams and ability

An alternate EV spread with 248 SpA and 8 Atk may be used if using Gunk Shot, even though it still gets power.

Even though it has got many counters, Greninja still defines itself as a top tier threat due to many positive points and the ability to beat many S and A tier Pokemon if used right, and should remain A rank.

Last edited:
Reactions: DEG
Thanks for the review Amitghosh I'll add it to the post but I'd suggest you adding a 3D sprite of greninja above the set, and in a hide add the Pokemon it loses to and the Pokemon it beats. Thanks!

Edit: Amitghosh Thanks :]

Rank changes are going to appear soon. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Illusio

Bold and Brash
Crustle from B --> A Rank

Crustle @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Rock Wrecker
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast/X-Scissor

I find Crustle to be really underrated in this meta. While it's sort of like a Rhyperior clone (even though Crustle was used before Rhyperior), it has a better ability than Rhyperior which allows it to pull off a +2/+4 (if Weakness Policy activates) Rock Wrecker, which absolutely demolishes the meta.

Greninja, Mega Salamence, non-Will-O-Wisp Charizards, and pretty much every other Pokemon that doesn't get priority or can lower its attack.

Kyurem-Black, Mega Gyarados, Will-O-Wisp Charizards, Mega Mawile, Aggron

Last edited:

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Crustle from B --> A Rank

Crustle @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Rock Wrecker
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

I find Crustle to be really underrated in this meta. While it's sort of like a Rhyperior clone (even though Crustle was used before Rhyperior), it has a better ability than Rhyperior which allows it to pull off a +2/+4 (if Weakness Policy activates) Rock Wrecker, which absolutely demolishes the meta.

Greninja, Mega Salamence, non-Will-O-Wisp Charizards, and pretty much every other Pokemon that doesn't get priority or can lower its attack.

FEAR, Kyurem-Black, Mega Gyarados, Will-O-Wisp Charizards, Mega Mawile
It can also run Rock Blast to beat SubDD MegaMence and FEAR, and it beats Kyu-B if you predict right--Rock Wrecker KOs Scarf Kyu-B while SS then Rock Wrecker beats bulky WP Kyu-B. Plus, Aggron checks it too, with Counter/Metal Burst+Sturdy.

Latios
Latios Is an amazing pokemon to keep the Mega Charizards In. Both are out-sped and get killed with Draco Meteor. It outspeeds Greninja, Kyruem-B, And porygonz with Choice scarf. If you dont care for speed you can swap that out for specs to increase your damage output.

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball/Surf/HiddenPowerFire
Moves
Thunderbolt helps kill the Paraflincher Togakiss as well as dealing with azumarill(this OKHO's usually so thats why I didnt know that azumarill had other sets lol) It helps out with coverage to deal with pokemon that resist the stabs.

-Draco just reigns hell on everyone besides gardevior. Its a really amazing STAB move and paired with latios's very good special attack and the decent coverage its can easily OKHO many of the pokemon that dont resist or are immune.
-Psychic nice stab to 2HKO someone if you know Draco wont OKHO. Psyshock can be used over Psychic as it hits spedef walls really nicely. The STAB move hits very hard and paired with specs has a nice chance of OKHO'ing several prevalent mons.
-Shadow Ball/Surf/HPfire~Just a filler move that helps check certain threats

Last edited:

Goodra D ~~> C

Goodra is one of my favorite 1v1 Pokemon, and just like Togekiss, with some odd sets and a little support it can be amazing. Goodra checks dragon threats like Kyu-B and and Char X. As well as all this, it has massive Sp.def and and good Sp.atk, but wait, it also has Counter and Gooey to make up for the lack of Physical countering. Goodra also has a typing that leaves it immune to most super effective OHKOs with the right set.

Let me introduce you to the top Goodra sets on the block:

Goodra 1 (Goodra) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Rain Dance
- Counter / Flamethrower
- Rest
- Toxic

Goodra 2 (Goodra) @ Haban Berry
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpA
Modest Nature
- Counter
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave

Goodra 1 can beat:
a lot of Pokemon, including Char Y, and can Counter a lot of its physical threats.

Goodra 2 can beat:
Dragon threats like Kyurem-B, Char X, Band Dnite, and flamethrower Mawile and Sludge Wave Whimsi (who seems to be pretty popular lately).

Goodra is checked by
a lot of things, which is why I'm going for C rather than a higher rank (though it does check a lot of high tier mons itself).

Overall, I wouldn't recommend Goodra as the star of a team, just a Pokemon that covers enemies. I thought C because it does fit the description (C rank: Reserved for Pokemon that have a niche in the 1v1 Metagame. These Pokemon have some good matchups against other Pokemon but are hindered by being easily checked by other common Pokemon. These Pokemon have a hard time adapting with the metagame.)

Also Whiscash-Mega, I might run Trick or Psyshock over Psychic or else it can't handle stall threats.

Last edited:

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
(Where might I find a link to a sprite?)

Goodra D ~~> C

Goodra is one of my favorite 1v1 Pokemon, and just like Togekiss, with some odd sets and a little support it can be amazing.

Let me introduce you to the top Goodra sets on the block:

Goodra 1 (Goodra) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Rain Dance
- Counter / Flamethrower
- Rest
- Toxic

Goodra 2 (Goodra) @ Haban Berry
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpA
Modest Nature
- Counter
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave

Goodra 1 can stall out a lot of Pokemon, including Char Y, and can Counter a lot of its physical threats.
Goodra 2 can take out Dragon threats like Kyurem-B, Char X, Band Dnite, and flamethrower Mawile and Sludge Wave Whimsi (who seems to be pretty popular lately).
Goodra is checked by a lot of things, which is why I'm going for C rather than a higher rank (though it does check a lot of high tier mons itself).

Overall, I wouldn't recommend Goodra as the star of a team, just a Pokemon that covers enemies. I thought C because it does fit the description (C rank: Reserved for Pokemon that have a niche in the 1v1 Metagame. These Pokemon have some good matchups against other Pokemon but are hindered by being easily checked by other common Pokemon. These Pokemon have a hard time adapting with the metagame.)

Also Whiscash-Mega, I might run Trick or Psyshock over Psychic or else it can't handle stall threats.
I get my sprites from here: http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/
You add them to your post by clicking the image to the right of the smiley face on the options menu thingy up at the top, and copy/pasting the link for the sprite you want added there.

Sorry I couldn't help you with this!!
I Kept requesting for permission and they didn't respond. (To be honest I wasnt as Qualified as you XD.)
Latios: B~~>A
Latios Is an amazing pokemon to keep the Mega Charizards In. Both are out-sped and get killed with Draco Meteor. It outspeeds Greninja, Kyruem-B, And porygonz with Choice scarf. If you dont care for speed you can swap that out for specs to increase your damage output.

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball/Surf
This set Gives latios alot of options and helps latios take on most of the things thrown at it.
-Thunderbolt helps kill the ungodly Paraflincher Togakiss.
-Draco just reigns hell on everyone besides gardevior
-Psychic nice stab to 2HKO someone if you know Draco wont OKHO.
-Shadow Ball is is nice for aegislash and hits metagross really hard.

By the way you did an amazing Job with this. My drafts looked nearly identical :)
I have used Latios for a while now, and agree that it could move up to A, although I believe Specs is an inferior set, as otherwise you fail to beat the extremely common Scarf Kyu-B. Therefore, I think Scarf should be slashed first and Specs second, or just mention Specs as an option to rip apart stall teams after the set. Psyshock is also superior to Psychic to hit Chansey, and it still does a lot to Mega Venusaur.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
This is a viability ranking thread, not an analysis thread. You don't have to "reserve" a pokemon to write about it, you can post what you think about a pokemon's rank whenever.

I support that Meloetta from A to S.

Meloetta I've played against only run one set: Protect, Perish Song, Filler, and Filler. This set can be used in very cheap ways to easily snag wins. I've used it somewhat, and it has brought major success for me in this meta. That's about all I have to say though.

I support that Meloetta from A to S.

Meloetta I've played against only run one set: Protect, Perish Song, Filler, and Filler. This set can be used in very cheap ways to easily snag wins. I've used it somewhat, and it has brought major success for me in this meta. That's about all I have to say though.
Can't make a long post, but that's not even the most dangerous Meloetta set imo. Specs is something to be afraid of.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Dragonite A ---> S

His weakness policy set makes him truly amazing when combined with multiscale. He is almost guaranteed to live any hit and fire back with a powerful +2 move. Outrage demolishes everything and extreme speed if dosent kill right away

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Last edited:

DoW

formally Death on Wings
Dragonite A ---> S

His weakness policy set makes him truly amazing when combined with multiscale. He is almost guaranteed to live any hit and fire back with a powerful +2 move. Outrage demolishes everything and extreme speed if dosent kill right away

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
Eh, I'm really not sure Dragonite deserves S rank, as there's a large number of things that beat it. Kyu-B, Specs Greninja, Charm Chansey, FEAR, Cloyster, Whimsicott, Perish Song, and most things that can burn (notably WoW Zard X and Sableye) will beat it 100% of the time, while multiple things beat it a lot of the time such as Aggron, Mawile, CB Rhyperior, Mega Metagross with Ice Punch, Mega Altaria, Mega Gyarados, Ferrothorn, and many more.

Because of this, I think that Dragonite's position in A rank suits it just fine.

Last edited:
Well here goes

Kyurem-B

Kyurem B earns itself a spot in the S rank due to it's raw power, variety of viable sets and unpredictability. You never know what the opponent's kyurem-B set will be until you actually face it in battle, giving it an edge a lot of 1v1 mons don't have. Now let's break down why it is as good as it is.

1. It's ability. Terravolt is essentially mold breaker with a(n arguably) cooler name and it completely demolishes common 1v1 strategies involving sturdy or multiscale (dragonite).
2. Great mixed offenses. This allows it to run both band and specs sets to great success, each of them tearing through a lot of the meta and beating the counters of the more common scarf set.
3. Good offensive typing, high base power moves and a monstrous attack stat. This lets it run it's most common scarf set effectively (more on this in the actual desc of the scarf set)

Here's two things i won't be mentioning for any of the notable checks and counters because they can virtually beat every KyuremB set. Those two are Porygon2 (all except band, unless conversion) and Megagross with protect.

Here's the actual sets.
Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 148 Atk / 144 SpA / 216 Spe or 204 Atk / 88 SpA / 216 Spe or 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam takes care of dragonite and salamence and even 252 HP / 0 SpD donphan/golem depending on the spread
- Outrage strong STAB that deals with the everpresent ZardX, greninja and porygonZ.
- Earth Power/ Iron Head deals with mawile mega and aggro,n preferred on the spA sets/ deals with diancie, preferred on the physical attacker set
- Fusion Bolt deals with ZardY if you can predict it and deals more damage to Gyarados

I never really used scarf Kyub much, so I'm not sure what the optimal EV spread is. The first EV spread gives kyurem OHKO's on both donphan and golem with ice beam; ohko's ZardX and greninja and does this damage to zardY [148 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Outrage vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 276-325 (92.9 - 109.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO/fusion bolt KO's] and scarf porygonZ [148 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Outrage vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Porygon-Z: 301-355 (96.7 - 114.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO (needs 204 to completely ohko)]. The speed EVs let it outspeed timid scarf PorygonZ. The last ev spread is all out attack, it is more reliable in beating ZardY and actually beats PoryZ 100% of the time, so this is possibly the best spread.

Good partners to the last one could be mega gyarados to take care of both golem and donphan reliably and ZardY to take care of Mawile mega. The first spread can singlehandedly deal with more threats and requires less team support, provided you get a bit lucky with rolls.

Notable checks/counters:
Sableye, Mega Mawile, Keldeo (Dependant on rolls), Scarf Latios, Alakazam mega, Aggron, Avalugg, Sylveon, Gardevoir Mega (if anything but the last spread or just a weird set with larger defense investment), unburden Hitmonlee, Conkeldurr, Various Mega Gyarados Variants, Scarf Garchomp, Magnezone, Lucario Mega, Mew, Porygon 2, Heracross Mega, Aegislash, Rhypherior, Golem (depends), Cloyster.

Things it beats:
Zard-X, ZardY (depends), Diancie, Sturdy users (depends), any FEAR strat, non scarf Garchomp, Salamence Mega, Dragonite, Gardevoir Mega (depends), Azumarill(depends), Mawile Mega (depends)

Basically while it has it's uses in checking a lot of the dominant threats in 1v1, it is the easiest to counter of the choice sets.

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe or 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Timid / Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon/Shadow Ball

This reliably beats most of the things that counter scarf kyuremB thanks to specs boosting it's good special attack stat to amazingly high levels and can serve as a great lure. However, it now also loses to a lot of the things it beat before thanks to a lower speed stat.

Ice Beam gets ohko on donphan, rypherior, golem, and fear users. Draco is the main spam move. Earth power gets ohko’s on aggron, mawile and beats non balloon aegi. Flash cannon deals with the slower regular diance, making mispredicts more forgiving wheras shadow ball lets it reliably beat aegi.

Notable checks/counters:
Specs Keldeo (Dependant on rolls), Latios, Alakazam mega, Gardevoir Mega , unburden endure Hitmonlee, Conkeldurr, Garchomp, Lucario Mega, Sylveon, Haxorus, scarf modest porygonZ, Meloetta, Azumarill, ZardY, ZardX, Chansey.

Things it beats:
Mega Mawile, Entei, Aggron, Avalugg, Aegislash (depends on item/coverage), Dragonite (depends), Rhypherior, Donphan, Golem, Sableye (depends on its set), Sableye Mega (depends on its set), Mega Gyarados (roll dependant), Sylveon (depends on coverage), Heracross Mega (roll dependant), Cloyster, Magnezone (depends on it's item), Scarf Keldeo, Scarf Timid porygonZ (spread dependant), Greninja.

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe or 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe or 252 Atk / 144 SpA / 112 Spe
Adamant/ Naughty or Lonely Nature (if earthpower & ice beam)
- Shadow Claw/ Earth Power
- Outrage
- Iron Head / Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt

This set beats a few of the counters of the other sets. It beats mega gyara more reliably, beats all the perish song users the other sets lose to, and can beat donphan/golem without having to use a super effective move, however golem beats it with STAB stone edge + sucker unless you get really lucky with rolls.

The first one lets it get some important outspeeds like vs dragonite, the second one lets it win vs greninja and porygonZ, and the last spread lets it beat golem and mega mawile. Hp could be run instead of speed in the last set too.

Notable checks/counters:
Specs Keldeo (Dependant on rolls), Latios, Gardevoir Mega , unburden endure Hitmonlee, Conkeldurr, Garchomp, Lucario Mega, Sylveon, Haxorus, scarf modest porygonZ, ZardY, ZardX, Sableye and mega.

Things it beats:
Mega Mawile (if spread 3), Aggron, Avalugg, Aegislash (depends on item/coverage), Dragonite (depends), Donphan, Golem(spread dependant), Mega Gyarados, Sylveon, Heracross Mega (roll dependant), Cloyster, Magnezone (depends on it's item + spread dependant), Scarf Keldeo, Scarf Timid porygonZ (spread dependant), Greninja (spread dependant).

Kyurem-Black @ Haban Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 144 SpA / 112 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

This sets beats the mons that try to beat it with outrage like gyarados and charizard. The evs allow it to outspeed specs magnezone and scarf/air balloon mag just fails to KO it (unless modest). The 144 spA evs allow it to get always get ohko on 252 HP Golem and Donphan. There is however one problem with this spread, if gyarados goes for outrage turn one instead of dragon dancing, it wins. This can be avoided by running higher speed, but that makes you less likely to ohko golem and donphan (roll dependant basically) so essentially it's a trade. Some bulkier dragon dance sets can also reliably beat this.

Notable checks/counters:
PorygonZ, Greninja (roll dependant), Meloetta, Aegislash, Conkeldurr, ZardY, Gardevoir Mega, Sylveon, Heracross Mega, Sableye

Things it beats:
Aggron, Golem, Donphan, ZardX, Latios (specs can beat it, 100% of the time if modest), Garchomp, Dragonite, Haxorus, Salamence (giga impact rolls can beat kyub), Mawile Mega.

Ok that took a while >_>

point out any mistakes i made or things i have to fix. n_n

edit- someone should write up the wp kyub set so that i can add it here tbh

Last edited:
This is a viability ranking thread, not an analysis thread. You don't have to "reserve" a pokemon to write about it, you can post what you think about a pokemon's rank whenever.
I have mentioned on the first post that suggesting a rank is different than the analysis. We need to tell why these Pokemon are ranked that way on a post alone mentioning it's full utility.

~~~
Regarding Dragonite: I don't think it should be moved to S rank due to it having many common checks present on everyteam, sure it is strong and can run different sets but it's easily checked by S rank Pokemon, such as Mega Mence, Gyarados, Mega Mawile, Kyub... and is threatened by bulky threats such as Deoxys-D, Mega Sableye therefor it should stay A rank.

Back for a while, here are my thoughts

Skarmory for C Rank

God, this thing is so good, but probably only for the choice band set. If you don't know, the set is:

Skarmory @ Choice Band
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Iron Head
- Payback
- Rock Tomb

Looks stupid, doesn't it? Well it probably is, but this thing is just one of the most anti-meta things out there. On the S and A rankings it beats:
Physical attacking Megamence, Will-o-wisp-less Zard X, Zard Y, Huge Power Azumarill, Dragonite, Garchomp, Mega Gardevoir, Greninja, Mega Metagross, Porygon-Z, Rhyperior, and *sometimes* Togekiss.

Will-o-wisp Zard X, Fire blast/Hydro mence, Kyurem-B, Mega Mawile, Defensive Azumarill, Chansey, Deoxys-D, Mega Gyarados, Meloetta, Mega Slowbro

Normally for something like that I would suggest B Rank, but honestly no one except me uses banded skarm anyways so I won't push for that yet.
Unless some breakthrough is discovered, I don't think there are many more viable skarmory sets. Also please don't run SD + custap berry ;-;

Another thing to note is that I went 19-0 on the ladder using this set before ladder reset, which is a pretty nice accomplishment for 1v1.

Magnemite for Do not use rank or at least D
Using this thing is so wrong on so many levels. Its most viable moveset, sturdy/toxic/protect/recycle, is easily the worst common set on the ladder, even worse than ditto.
Instead of listing specific mons that beat magnemite (because that list would span around 719 pokemon), I'll just list moves/abilities you can use to beat magnemite.
- Poison Types
- Steel Types
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Encore + Disable
- Will-o-wisp
- Leech seed
- Trick
- Mold breaker/Teravolt
- Substitute (pp stall)
- Rest
- Other FEAR pokemon
- Multi-hit moves
- Flinching
- Magic Guard
- Magic Bounce
- Poison Heal and Immunity pokemon
- Perish Song + Trick Room
- Multi-hit moves
- Lum Berry pokemon
- Pokemon with sleep moves
- Fake Out
- Bug Bite/Thief/Magician/Pickpocket
- Toxic Misses, Scald burns, and other 30% "hax" like that.
- Safeguard
Basically the only mons that can't be easily changed to beat Magnemite at no opportunity cost are Tynamo, Ditto, and Magikarp. Pretty sad if you ask me. (and if it all comes down to it Magikarp and Tynamo can run lum berry)

Basically, the point I'm trying to make here is that any pokemon can pretty much be effortlessly tailored to beat Magnemite; the same case happens with Ditto. It's just way too beatable, way to easy to counterteam to actually be effective. You can literally slap substitute on any non-choiced mon, or make sure that your choiced mon has one of the moves/abilities on that list (which really isn't hard at all to do).

I hope that wasn't too messy. (Also supporting Meloetta for S, may post thoughts on that later)

Last edited:

Breloom for C rank

I got to top 20 with a Aegislash/Garchomp/Breloom team before the ladder resetted last year (too bad no screenshot for prove). Now I am playing more ru/uu, but still you can find plenty of my alts in top 500 (most of them are randomly typed, unregistered; I can't remember which ones are mine though), and my main alt is sitting at 1400 elo.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Leech Seed
- Spore
- Substitute

This set beats plenty of defensive "anti meta" mons, especially lots of Sturdy abusers and Counter/Mirror coat/Metal Burst users like Golem/Aggron/Aron. It can beat slow offensive mons that would otherwise OHKO it (like Mega Mawile) by spamming spore and sub. For faster mons (that doesn't OHKO you like Garchomp/Dragonite), if you are lucky enough to get both sub and seed up before they awakes you still win.

The reason for using a special defensive set is for beating Scarf Greninja, one of the most popular mon in this tier, while also have chance to survive scarf Kyurem-B's Ice beam.

Protect can be used instead of sub/drain punch if you want to beat lopunny mega, and if you want to be more offensive focus punch can be used instead of drain punch.

Aggron for D rank

Study + Metal Burst, simple but effective, beats almost scarf/spec users (I am not sure what set exactly), and some that would otherwise OHKO Mega Aggron. Custap berry let it out speed other sturdy users. It can also use a weakness policy set like golem.

Last edited:
Can't make a long post, but that's not even the most dangerous Meloetta set imo. Specs is something to be afraid of.
Yeah, but Meloetta's versitality also makes it a huge threat to the metagame, and its excellent special bulk and typing helps it too.
Personally, I think it should go to S
I've tried running a 3 meloetta team and it's been destroying the ladder. I'll get a replay later with an alt.
Specs Meloetta + Perish killer + relic song (die chansey) works very well.
And as for the perish song set, Meloetta also gets trick room to beat pokes which are slower than it. I use perish/protect/TR/magic coat to counter taunt.
list a poke which you think can beat it and i'll see if one of my melos has a way to beat it. then i'll compile a list of stuff it can(t) beat

Breloom for C rank

I got to top 20 with a Aegislash/Garchomp/Breloom team before the ladder resetted last year (too bad no screenshot for prove). Now I am playing more ru/uu, but still you can find plenty of my alts in top 500 (most of them are randomly typed, unregistered; I can't remember which ones are mine though), and my main alt is sitting at 1400 elo.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Leech Seed
- Spore
- Substitute

This set beats plenty of defensive "anti meta" mons, especially lots of Sturdy abusers and Counter/Mirror coat/Metal Burst users like Golem/Aggron/Aron. It can beat slow offensive mons that would otherwise OHKO it (like Mega Mawile) by spamming spore and sub. For faster mons (that doesn't OHKO you like Garchomp/Dragonite), if you are lucky enough to get both sub and seed up before they awakes you still win.

The reason for using a special defensive set is for beating Scarf Greninja, one of the most popular mon in this tier, while also have chance to survive scarf Kyurem-B's Ice beam.

Protect can be used instead of sub/drain punch if you want to beat lopunny mega, and if you want to be more offensive focus punch can be used instead of drain punch.

Aggron for D rank

Study + Metal Burst, simple but effective, beats almost scarf/spec users (I am not sure what set exactly), and some that would otherwise OHKO Mega Aggron. Custap berry let it out speed other sturdy users. It can also use a weakness policy set like golem.
MegaMence is a lurking threat to Breloom; Also, Breloom lacks physical bulk. Haven't seen much breloom, so I can't say much though.
Aggron usually has an aggronite due to Kyu-B's threat to it; also, the very presence of aggron in a team usually forces the opponent to use a poke that can beat it in the off-chance that you happen to choose it. That's probably the Aggron-Mega set in the rankings rn

MegaMence is a lurking threat to Breloom; Also, Breloom lacks physical bulk. Haven't seen much breloom, so I can't say much though.
Aggron usually has an aggronite due to Kyu-B's threat to it; also, the very presence of aggron in a team usually forces the opponent to use a poke that can beat it in the off-chance that you happen to choose it. That's probably the Aggron-Mega set in the rankings rn
For Breloom, that's the reason why I put it in a C rank; it's situational. Losing to a S rank mon doesn't mean that it's bad.

Last edited:
CHANGES: 9/5/2015 Perish Song aftermath, moving Meloetta to the A rank.

Bae af. (Meloetta) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Beam
-Trick
- Shadow Ball/Psyshock/Psychic
- Energy Ball

The specs set is one of the scariest set ever created (props to Bedford) combined with specs, amazing spA Meloetta finds itself tearing through most of available Pokemon on 1v1. Hyper Beam is the main STAB, Trick is used to deal with Lv.1 Pokemon such as probopass or stallers such as Deoxys-D, Shadow Ball can be used to deal with ghost types such as Aegislash, Psychock/Psychic serves as a Second STAB and a check to chansey/blissey, Energyball is present specially for Mega Gyarados which lives an hyper beam, and bulky types such as Mega Slowbro.

Common Pokemon it beats:
Kyurem-Black, Mega Charizard X, Aggron-Mega/Aggron, Lv.1 Pokemon, Slowbro-Mega, Aegislash, Conkeldurr, Venusaur-Mega, Diancie.

Common Pokemon it loses to:
Mawile-Mega, Salamence Mega. Assault Vest, Chansey, Golem, Tyranitar-Mega/Tyranitar, Dragonite, Mega Metagross.

Common Pokemon that goes 50/50 (Depends on evs)
Gyarados-Mega, Charizard-Mega-Y, Porygon-Z, Blastoise-Mega

Great Team Mates:

Kyurem-Black: Kyurem-Black serves as a great first bodyguard to Meloetta as it resolves some of it weaknesses such as Charizard Mega Y, Gyarados Mega, Dragonite.

Mega-Charizard-X: Second Bodyguard deals with Mega mawile, and to an extent chansey.

Mega-Salamence: With a substitute and dd can get rid of chansey, dragonite, other Meloetta, Gyarados Mega, Charizard Mega Y.

Mega Mawile: Deal with Mega Gyarados, Chansey...

Rumplestiltskin is going to hate me for that

Last edited:
Bae af. (Meloetta) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Beam
-Trick
- Shadow Ball/Psyshock/Psychic
- Energy Ball
Any reason to carry energy ball over thunderbolt? Tbolt has the added benefit of hitting azumarill while retaining the ability to hit gyarados (also parahax :] ). It's better off shooting off shadow balls at golem and co to make sure they don't get the wp boost. Thunderbolt also lets it hit aggron harder than shadow ball.

Any reason to carry energy ball over thunderbolt? Tbolt has the added benefit of hitting azumarill while retaining the ability to hit gyarados (also parahax :] ). It's better off shooting off shadow balls at golem and co to make sure they don't get the wp boost. Thunderbolt also lets it hit aggron harder than shadow ball.
Thunderbolt can be used as an alternative choice, but energyball hits ground Pokemon and gives drops on chansey if you don't run psyshock

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)