Other Metagames Z-Head Smash Aerodactyl straight outta Cinnabar Island Lab! (STABmons)

Salutations everyone!
STABmons is by far my favorite Other Meta in Showdown, and I have some teams that I really enjoy using.
A while ago, I wanted to build a team using my favorite Pokémon (hard to guess from my profile picture tbh) and Mega Alakazam (my favorite mega evolution).
Here's what I came up with. The team has been decent so far, but there are a lot of things I can fix and would love to hear some suggestions:]

The team:

Flex (Aerodactyl) (M) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature

- Head Smash
- Brave Bird
- Hone Claws
- Accelerock

Hone Claws Aerodactyl is by far my favorite Pokémon to use not only in STABmons, but also in NU (even though it fails to do something useful), sometimes when I play UU with frens (Mega Aero of course) and mostly here in STABmons. I think that this set is pretty self-explanatory: Hone Claws up when you can (gotta appreciate the fact that you'll need only one to never miss Head Smash), hit Pokémon really hard with recoil-free Head Smash, recoil-free Brave Bird to have two good Dual STABs and Accelerock when Yanmega gets out of control with its Protect + Speed Boost or a Volcarona that has used Quiver Dance way too many times for my Scarfer to handle. I am aware that CB Aero can do better, but this one is more of a personal favorite set that I have (I also don't like CB Aero that much out of ADV OU), and so far it has been decent the times I'm able to pull it off in a battle. I have a hard time vs. King's Shield and Strength Sap users, so I have tried my best to cover that with my team because I wanna see my boy shine!:] I don't think I wanna change this set, but any suggestions are welcome:]

Andromeda (Alakazam-Mega) (F) @ Alakazite (I love this nickname for Alakazam tho)
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk

- Psystrike
- Focus Blast
- Recover
- Shadow Ball

Mega Alakazam is by far my favorite Mega evolution (I like it even more than Mega Aero), and I wanted to use it alongside Aerodactyl for the only reason that I these two are my favorite Pokémon. This set is pretty much the one that it uses in OU (relying only on Focus Blast for coverage to have a CM + Recover set seems unreliable to be because I land more Sheer Colds than Focus Blasts in my life). I went with Psystrike to have a better matchup vs. Chansey and, even though Psycho Boost is stronger, the drops in Special Attack in a Pokémon that usually stays in attacking made me went with Psystrike (and Psycho Boost struggles more with Chansey so). I ran Timid instead of Modest before, but most of the times I face Pokémon that, as long as they aren't using a Choice Scarf, are outsped by big Zam; thus, it is for this reason that I changed it to Modest to have even more raw power and I haven't felt the need to go back with Timid atm. Other than that, I am not sure what else to add about big Zam.

Gekkouga (Greninja-Ash) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature

- Water Spout
- Dark Pulse
- Parting Shot
- Ice Beam

Yes. This set is weird and I know it.
Nonetheless, Scarf Battle Bond Greninja has been a kind of consistent Pokémon on my team. Even though I am not using Water Shuriken to fully take advantage of Battle Bond, Scarf Parting Shot has helped me with pivoting against offensive Pokémon and some defensive ones to help Alakazam and Aerodactyl come in with a bit more safety because they are too fragile to take even hits from defensive Pokémon. I want to run the not-so-consistent Water Spout because it's an absolute nuke vs. a lot of Pokémon, and I have Dark Pulse instead of Night Daze because... well... if it ain't 100% accurate, you WILL miss in key moments. One of my doubts is with the last slot: I usually want a more consistent Water-type move, but Scarf Greninja (565) and Ash Greninja (598) outspeed +1 Garchomp (499) and OHKO's it with Ice Beam. Dragon Dance Garchomp is a huge problem, and this helps me with that. Nonetheless, if anyone can suggest me anything else please do it:]

Cherise (Ferrothorn) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Careful Nature

- Horn Leech
- King's Shield
- Stealth Rock
- Cotton Guard

This Pokémon has been my epythome of 4MSS. Since I don't want to run rocks in my Aerodactyl, I need another Pokémon to set up hazards. King's Shield is a move that is absolutely fantastic and I have used it in other Pokémon (like a bulky SD Scizor I have in another team). Helps a lot with physical attackers and allows me to scout if any Rotom-W is running a Fire-type move. I have Horn Leeck just to avoid being Taunt-bait and, for the last move, I honestly don't know at this point: Cotton Guard helps me to "set up" vs. certain physical attackers like Coil Drapion (which does less that you can imagine with x6 Megahorn), Leech Seed helps me to wear down Pokémon like non-Flamethrower Celesteela and plenty of Poison types and Strength Sap gives me the best and most buste recovery move in the game. I really don't know what to exactly run, so I would love some help here please:[

Here's the calc with Adamant Drapion:
+6 252+ Atk Drapion Megahorn vs. +3 252 HP / 92 Def Ferrothorn: 131-155 (37.2 - 44%) -- 99.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

And the one with Jolly Drapion:
+6 252 Atk Drapion Megahorn vs. +3 252 HP / 92 Def Ferrothorn: 120-142 (34 - 40.3%) -- 40.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Luke (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature

- Volt Switch
- Steam Eruption
- Strength Sap
- Blue Flare

Being the swiss-army knife of the tier is surely going to cause some 4MSS.
Rotom is imo the best Pokémon in the tier when it comes to versatility, and it has way too many good sets in this meta.
My idea behind this is to better face Landorus-T (I haven't seen a Z-Landorus around so), Celesteela, Garchomp that hasn't used Dragon Dance yet and many more.
Volt Switch and Steam Eruption are kinda self-explanatory, so I won't put too many details on them.
Strength Sap is (imo) the best recovery move in the game, and the ability to constantly recover HP while stopping (at least a bit) physical attackers is amazing, and I wouldn't really change it for other moves likes Roost, Synthesis or whatever.
Before having Blue Flare, I had Defog just to have another hazard removing Pokémon (Chansey is the other one). However, in matchups vs Ferrothorn and Celesteela (this one is specially though if Aerodactyl is down) I found myself pretty much useless, so I swapped it with Blue Flare. Even though I have missed it many times (Pokémon is a skill-based game), helps me against those two Pokémon A LOT. Also, I haven't seen myself in need to put back Defog in Rotom.

Maple (Chansey) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature

- Rapid Spin
- Slack Off
- Toxic
- Transform

Everyone's favorite Pokémon to face in battle after Toxapex!
Chansey is honestly here as my hazard removal (the only Special Attacker that doesn't allow big Maple to spin is Keldeo, specially the Specs one), Toxic + Slack Off helps me to wear down Pokémon like Quiver Dance users (specially Volcarona, whose x6 Searing Shot needs a high roll crit to OHKO big Chansey) and Transform allows me to scout sets from the opponent. The only change I made in Chansey was that, prior to Transform, I also had a Cleric option in Aromatherapy (since my team doesn't like status that much) but Transform has given me better results so far:].

EDIT: The Volcarona calc is this one:
+6 252 SpA Volcarona Searing Shot vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey on a critical hit: 639-753 (90.8 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO.

Here are some replays:]
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7stabmons-830729745 Chansey and Ferro for MVPs in this 98 turn battle.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7stabmons-830720909 Alakazam almost swept the opponent. I would've won nonetheless because my Ferro already used Cotton Guard in front of Gyarados.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7stabmons-830646476 I had Searing Shot over Blue Flare here, but it pretty much got rid of Ferrothorn. And Water Spout Greninja ftw vs. Zard X.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7stabmons-830198936 Here I had a Spikes Offensive Landorus over Ferrothorn, but I decided to change it since Landorus was doing pretty much nothing for my team.

Threats:
The main ones I have struggled with on the ladder are Leech Seed Celesteela and Rotom-W. This team has more weak points than these two only, but they excel above the rest vs. my team. Oh and pretty much a lot of status problems are a big problem for the team, which is why I had Cleric Chansey before using Transform). I have played against pretty different teams on the ladder, and several Pokémon have caused me trouble; however, I don't really remember them all :[ my bad for that.

The PokéPaste for the team is here: https://pokepast.es/6bdf94d4b9852845

I definietly have a lot to improve, but this team so far has been really fun to use and hope you guys like it just as much as I do:]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)