Other XY OU Viability Ranking Thread (V3) (Rank changes are over until ORAS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Weavile is stronger than you think.

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Icicle Crash vs. 144 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 156-185 (46.8 - 55.5%) -- 73.4% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Icicle Crash vs. 144 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 156-185 (46.8 - 55.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Charizard X can't switch in, and with rocks it's a guaranteed KO

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 183-216 (46.4 - 54.8%) -- 9.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Clef needs to be at full health to avoid the kill, which can be hard to do since it's usually relied upon to sponge hits.

-1 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 138-164 (41.6 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 299-354 (90.3 - 106.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Gyara cannot switch in.

Keldeo is crippled pretty badly. Azumarill counters it completely and Scizor gets a switch in, but I'm not claiming it's S-rank. I'm just saying it's better than something like Lucario, and way better than everything in B- rank.
Weavile can't run Icicle Crash until ORAS since it's illegal with Knock Off, which is one of the main reasons to use it in the first place. If ORAS were out right now you'd have an argument (which I would fully support), but it isn't and this is a reflection of the current meta so it doesn't matter.

Weavile can't run Icicle Crash until ORAS since it's illegal with Knock Off, which is one of the main reasons to use it in the first place. If ORAS were out right now you'd have an argument (which I would fully support), but it isn't and this is a reflection of the current meta so it doesn't matter.
Oh, didn't know that. Haven't played XY since ORAS ladder was up so my mistake.

Char X's chances of dying go from 73.4% to 62.9%. Gyara has a 98% chance to be 2HKO'd. Clefable is still hit pretty hard. It's not like it's a free switch in, it'll have to heal up and give you a free switch.

It's still not like it gives free switch ins to half the meta. There are very few pokemons that switch in without getting hit fairly hard in return. In addition, it has one of the best offensive stabs right now and gets super effective coverage on a ton of things

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
How are these comparisons even fair?

Crawdaunt is a niche wallbreaker generally outclassed by Azumarill. Lucario is a... what? He just dies for the most part.

Weavile is a revenge killer and late game cleaner that checks some of the most common pokemons in OU.

Weavile checks both scarf and defensive Lando-T, which is literally everywhere. It ohkos the Latis, probably the most popular pokemon in OU, and can switch into psyshock. Ferro and Heatran are 2hko'd by low kick so they can't switch in. Its checks are crippled by knock off. For example, Keldeo loses the scarf/specs and Rotom-W loses lefties, making it even easier to wear down. It has super effective coverage against the Pinsir/Mag combo while being faster than both. It kills the "catch all" pivots like Mew/Jirachi in balanced and offensive teams that have grown in popularity lately.

And how could I forget Greninja, the new golden boy of OU. Weavile destroys it.

I feel like I could go on. Weavile is much better than both of those mons.
Crawdaunt is not niche at all and an excellent wallbreaker. If you think it's outclassed by Azumarill you probably have been using it wrong.

Lucario is either a late-game sweeper or an early-game softener, and while he is not superb in any of those roles, its versatility allows it to deal with any of its checks and counters it wants (Nasty Plot fucks up physically defensive switch-ins, such as Landorus-T, Slowbro, Gliscor, and Hippowdon, while Ice Punch / Iron Tail / Bullet Punch / Crunch allow Lucario to deal with almost anything), making it an effective sweeper with the right support.

Weavile is a great Pokemon against offensive teams no doubt, but it struggles to get past too many Pokemon, such as Clefable, Mega Scizor, Mega Venusaur, Azumarill, Keldeo, SpD Mega Char X, Rotom-W, SpD Talonflame, Suicune, Alomomola, Gyarados, and Skarmory, and is also Stealth Rock weak, which makes it rather easy to wear down and play around. So, being relatively easy to check and being very easy to wear down (SR weak + LO) make Weavile a bit worse than Crawdaunt and Lucario.

Crawdaunt is not niche at all and an excellent wallbreaker. If you think it's outclassed by Azumarill you probably have been using it wrong.

Lucario is either a late-game sweeper or an early-game softener, and while he is not superb in any of those roles, its versatility allows it to deal with any of its checks and counters it wants (Nasty Plot fucks up physically defensive switch-ins, such as Landorus-T, Slowbro, Gliscor, and Hippowdon, while Ice Punch / Iron Tail / Bullet Punch / Crunch allow Lucario to deal with almost anything), making it an effective sweeper with the right support.

Weavile is a great Pokemon against offensive teams no doubt, but it struggles to get past too many Pokemon, such as Clefable, Mega Scizor, Mega Venusaur, Azumarill, Keldeo, SpD Mega Char X, Rotom-W, SpD Talonflame, Suicune, Alomomola, Gyarados, and Skarmory, and is also Stealth Rock weak, which makes it rather easy to wear down and play around. So, being relatively easy to check and being very easy to wear down (SR weak + LO) make Weavile a bit worse than Crawdaunt and Lucario.
Of those pokemons that you mentioned that Weavile struggles against, the only one that Lucario does not also struggle against is Clefable. With that set you named, the rest all beat him before he beats them. So in this scenario you presented, Lucario is barely better than Weavile. And without CC, it's even easier to check. Heatran and Ferro are extremely common.

On the contrary, Weavile has the speed to check offensive things. Lucario is slower than Lando-T, Latios, Greninja, Keldeo, and basically every relevant offensive pokemon right now. And it's so frail that it can barely take a hit. So this Lucario has trouble with offense and stall. It needs SD to break through stall, but then it's checked by even more things. And if forced out, it would need another turn of boosting to be relevant again. Something he barely can do once without dying.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Of those pokemons that you mentioned that Weavile struggles against, the only one that Lucario does not also struggle against is Clefable. With that set you named, the rest all beat him before he beats them. So in this scenario you presented, Lucario is barely better than Weavile. And without CC, it's even easier to check. Heatran and Ferro are extremely common.

On the contrary, Weavile has the speed to check offensive things. Lucario is slower than Lando-T, Latios, Greninja, Keldeo, and basically every relevant offensive pokemon right now. And it's so frail that it can barely take a hit. So this Lucario has trouble with offense and stall. It needs SD to break through stall, but then it's checked by even more things. And if forced out, it would need another turn of boosting to be relevant again. Something he barely can do once without dying.
Lucario has no trouble with Mega Scizor, Mega Venusaur, Azumarill, SpD Mega Char X, Rotom-W, Talonflame, Alomomola, and Skarmory, because at +2 it OHKOes most of them with the help of Stealth Rock and a set of CC / Iron Tail / Extresmpeed. Other checks such as Gliscor and Lando-T can be beat with either Ice Punch or a Nasty Plot set.

Lucario has no trouble with Mega Scizor, Mega Venusaur, Azumarill, SpD Mega Char X, Rotom-W, Talonflame, Alomomola, and Skarmory, because at +2 it OHKOes most of them with the help of Stealth Rock and a set of CC / Iron Tail / Extresmpeed. Other checks such as Gliscor and Lando-T can be beat with either Ice Punch or a Nasty Plot set.
This is true, but this only happens if Lucario gets a free turn to set up. The things Weavile is good at, he doesn't need a free turn to achieve them. A lot of these pokemon have super effective coverage on Lucario. The only ones that he can easily take advantage of and set up on are really passive mons like Alomomola and Skarm.

Other mons in B rank include Mandibuzz, which gives a bunch of free switches these days. There's Rhyperior that's literally only good as a flying spam counter and nothing else. There's Scizor, which you can barely use anymore because HP Fire and Magnezone/Magneton are everywhere. With the pokemons that Weavile check, pokemons you will face really often because they are at the top of the usage stats, does it not offer as much to the team as these at B rank do?

The point I wanna get at is that Weavile is good against popular things. He's good against the things you will be facing most often. Lucario is good against things you will see once every 3-5 games. Weavile checks things you will literally see every single game.

Is a Pokemon that offers to your team match in and match out not more viable than pokemons that only ocassionally offer something and the rest of the time they might as well be dead weight?

EDIT: This will be my last post on the subject to not derail the thread. I suppose if no one else agrees then there's no need to talk about this further.

This is true, but this only happens if Lucario gets a free turn to set up. The things Weavile is good at, he doesn't need a free turn to achieve them. A lot of these pokemon have super effective coverage on Lucario. The only ones that he can easily take advantage of and set up on are really passive mons like Alomomola and Skarm.

Other mons in B rank include Mandibuzz, which gives a bunch of free switches these days. There's Rhyperior that's literally only good as a flying spam counter and nothing else. There's Scizor, which you can barely use anymore because HP Fire and Magnezone/Magneton are everywhere. With the pokemons that Weavile check, pokemons you will face really often because they are at the top of the usage stats, does it not offer as much to the team as these at B rank do?

The point I wanna get at is that Weavile is good against popular things. He's good against the things you will be facing most often. Lucario is good against things you will see once every 3-5 games. Weavile checks things you will literally see every single game.

Is a Pokemon that offers to your team match in and match out not more viable than pokemons that only ocassionally offer something and the rest of the time they might as well be dead weight?

EDIT: This will be my last post on the subject to not derail the thread. I suppose if no one else agrees then there's no need to talk about this further.
I'll chip in a bit in Weavile's favor. I'm not sure it's necessary to raise it a rank or not, but I'll go ahead and put my two cents in on some of it's more useful capabilities. Weavile's main niche for me is as a stall destroyer. Stuff like slowbro/mew/cresselia that are common on stall teams don't like STAB knock off doing severe damage and removing their items, which stall can't function without very well. It also knocks off chansey's eviolite, even though it wouldn't appreciate getting hit with toxic or t-wave in the meantime. It also functions as a decent wallbreaker, albeit a frail one. It can put big dents in some bulkier threats and pave the way for your sweeper to come in and clean up. Even though it's extremely frail and SR weak, weavile usually gets to do some good damage in any given match due to it's stellar speed tier which allows it to move first most of the time, and if not, there's always priority ice shard. I've actually had a lot of success with SD weavile myself, as after a SD boost, there's little that can survive weavile's boosted onslaught. Of course, it isn't easy to find weavile free turns to boost, so it's a high risk/high reward kind of thing. Weavile is pretty versatile too, being able to wallbreak, stallbreak, sweep, or revenge kill all in the same set, so it's not exactly hard to find a use for him, either. Really, I don't care whether he ends up in B or B-, but either way, weavile is a good poke who everyone should consider using.

Is the ability to hold Shed Shell to not being trapped by Gothitelle niche enough for Blissey to rise from D to C-?

I thought I would give something to talk about since nobody seems to care about her or rather want it to go because Chansey Master Race.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
actually now that I think about it Blissey has a niche in being able to actually beat Gengar, not sure if that really makes it worth using but it's definitely something to be considered.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Rhyperior: This was mentioned in the initial post by Alexwolf, but I don't remember any discussion on it. Rhyperior is one of my three most used/standard mons (the others being Victini and Latias), and it's not just personal bias for why I use it so much. Basically any physical attacker that lacks a Grass/Water move, in addition to some special electric types, finds itself checked by Rhyperior (including EQ users like Chomp + Landog); in using Rhyperior, you gain a reliable rocks setter, a Charizard-X counter, a BirdSpam (barring Hawlucha) check, a Manectric check, a (Mega) Tyranitar counter, a Victini counter, etc. It covers so much and is really effective at what it does, thanks to its excellent 3 move coverage and jaw-dropping physical bulk. I'd say A- would be plausible, but its bad special bulk probably would prevent it from ever being considered that good. It's absolutely on par with other B+ mons, and better (imo) than some, like Chansey, Skarm, and Hippo, so a rise to B+ makes sense.

Mega Ampharos: I totally disagree with dropping this. First, it has a really great RestTalk set. This set abuses Ampharos' godlike defenses, special attack, and defensive typing in order to check/counter a lot of common OU threats, including but not limited to: Keldeo, Charizard-Y, Mega Pinsir, Talonflame, Thundurus, Gyarados, Mega Manectric, Rotom-W, Slowbro, Stallbreaker Mega Aerodactyl, Magnezone, Manaphy, Breloom, Raikou, Victini, and Starmie. In a more compressed list, using RestTalk Ampharos gives you a reliable answer to bulky waters, birdspam, fire-type wallbreakers, water-types wallbreakers, and electric-types, capable of taking massive hits and dealing an impressive amount of damage. Next, Ampharos has its Agility set, and when paired with either a NastyPasser or Politoed, is able to easily sweep weakened teams. This set needs a lot of support, yes, but it isn't its main set or its best set, so the amount of support it needs shouldn't warrant it dropping. The argument for its dropping was that its use is very rarely warranted over any other mega. I disagree with this, because the selection of threats it walls is extremely unique. If using it on a stall team, it only really competes with two megas: Venusaur, which can be replaced with Amoonguss with relative ease, and Charizard-X, which, from my experience, isn't that great anymore on stall because of its Psychic, Fairy, and Fighting neutralities (ie. Victini works better nowadays as a fire type). If you're using Ampharos only a bulky offensive team, the amount of competition it faces does drastically increase, but not because of its role - merely because of its taking of the mega slot. This argument is valid, but it also shouldn't warrant a drop from B-, a rank of mons with high potential but held back by certain qualities (ie. Weavile is frail and relatively weak, Mega Garchomp takes the mega slot and is slower than base 100s, Empoleon is a bulky water neutral to Fire, Doublade is heavily reliant on its item, Houndoom requires the mega slot, Sylveon is a worse clefable in most scenarios, etc. Ampharos' bulky offensive set alone fits in this category well, since on paper it's A worthy, but its prohibiting you to use any of the other megas slightly devalues it, not to being comparable to Blastoise or Aggron, but instead to Houndoom and Sylveon.

edit: ok my main point wasn't victini outclasses charizard-x at all, but yeah, of course char-x is good on stall. It is different from victini, i just prefer using victini because it handles gardevoir/medicham. I know that they have different niches and that neither cannot completely replace the other on a team.

Last edited:
Charizard-X, which, from my experience, isn't that great anymore on stall because of its Psychic, Fairy, and Fighting neutralities (ie. Victini works better nowadays).
I think you are missing the point of using Zard X on stall. Zard X is a hard check to stallbreaker Mew, being immune to Will-O-Wisp and unaffected by Knock Off, and while Taunt is not fun, Zard X can work around it. Victini is much more Knock Off prone because not only is it weak to it, it also can lose its item, unlike Zard X, which makes it unable to switch into Mew as well as Zard X can. Also, Victini has no reliable recovery and gets worn down really easily, whereas Zard X has access to Roost, meaning that it is not that dependent on Wish. The resistances you mentioned are definitely useful, but there is a reason why Zard X is good on stall.

Mega Scizor OHKOes with Superpower while surviving +2 CC.
Mega Venu can put Lucario to sleep and use HP Fire or Leech Seed to break through it.
Azumarill takes a +2 Iron Tail and severely damages Lucario with Play Rough.
Char X can be checked by a ton of stuff with SR down, including Weavile.
Rotom-W: ok.
Talonflame can be checked by a ton of stuff with SR down, including Weavile (although it needs +2 Ice Shard).
Alomomola can fish for a Scald burn, while Skarm can just Whirlwind it out.

Weavile can also run a SD set if it feels like it (not recommended but still, since you guys like to rant about SD Luke), since it forces a lot of switches and is almost impossible for offensive teams to stop at +2 bar priority (or maybe AV Azu). Lucario is generally too slow to sweep, since +2 ExtremeSpeed will not really get the job done against too many things since it doesn't hit anything super effectively. Then there's Iron Tail's 75% accuracy. When you have to rely on a move with a move that has a lower accuracy than Stone Edge, there are problems.

Against stall, Weavile doesn't even need SD, since Knock Off and Low Kick are already very threatening to stall.

Mega Venu can put Lucario to sleep and use HP Fire or Leech Seed to break through it.
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Mega Scizor: 309-367 (89.8 - 106.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mega Venusaur: 261-308 (71.7 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Azumarill: 378-446 (93.5 - 110.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 232 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 413-487 (78 - 92%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 282-333 (84.4 - 99.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Whatever you say mate

Talonflame can be checked by a ton of stuff with SR down, including Weavile (although it needs +2 Ice Shard).

Weavile can also run a SD set if it feels like it (not recommended but still, since you guys like to rant about SD Luke), since it forces a lot of switches and is almost impossible for offensive teams to stop at +2 bar priority (or maybe AV Azu). Lucario is generally too slow to sweep, since +2 ExtremeSpeed will not really get the job done against too many things since it doesn't hit anything super effectively. Then there's Iron Tail's 75% accuracy. When you have to rely on a move with a move that has a lower accuracy than Stone Edge, there are problems.

Against stall, Weavile doesn't even need SD, since Knock Off and Low Kick are already very threatening to stall.
Most Mega Scizor are OHKOd by a +2 Close Combat.
Offensive Mega Venusaur is a guaranteed OHKOd by Iron Tail after Stealth Rock, and without Stealth Rock, 81.3% of the time. MVenu cannot even OHKO back with Hidden Power Fire, defensive variations can Leech Seed but will lose a lot of health anyways.
Azumarill is OHKOd by a +2 Iron Tail.
Standard Zard X (Adamant 160 Spe) fail to outspeed Lucario, and get OHKOd by Close Combat.
Rotom-W, yeah, it loses to Lucario.
Beating Talonflame is one of Lucario's strengths as a set-up sweeper.
Alomomola is OHKOd by a +2 Close Combat 87.5% of the time (we are talking the standard Smogon spread, 36 HP / 220 Def Calm) . Unless you switch Lucario into an Alomomola (which you should not), Alomomola will probably not be fishing for a Scald burn any time soon.
Skarmory is OHKOd by a +2 Close Combat 75% of the time.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 116 Def Mega Scizor: 341-402 (99.4 - 117.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Iron Tail vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 347-409 (96.6 - 113.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Iron Tail vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 347-409 (96.6 - 113.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mega Venusaur: 261-308 (71.7 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Iron Tail vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 499-589 (124.4 - 146.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 36 HP / 220 Def Alomomola: 468-551 (97.5 - 114.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 282-333 (84.4 - 99.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Weavile needs Swords Dance to break Skarmory, which is seen on stall.

Iron Tail does have accuracy issues, I will give you that.

Weavile does not have the space for Swords Dance. It wants Ice Shard / Ice Punch / Knock Off / Pursuit / Low Kick before Swords Dance.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion

Granted Weavile is much better than what alexwolf is stating, although it's not necessarily a case for it moving up, but the logic you're using to describe Lucarios inabilities to handle this stuff is not good at all. People used Sleep Powder M-Venu like at the beginning of this year lol so I don't see how that's an argument. It's already been established that Lucario is designed to clean up mid-late game. Every single scenario you presented is going off of some sort of fact that everything is miraculously at full health. How is speed a factor on Lucario when it's running priority to mitigate this issue? The inaccuracy logic can only go so far considering that a majority of the sets used by many top tier threats which include Focus Blast on M-Gardevoir, Hydro Pump on Greninja and Keldeo, Focus Blast on Landorus-I and so forth doesn't change the fact they are still extremely efficient and necessary or very viable options for said mons.

As far as SD Weavile goes the only real reason you would run this is with the Poison Jab set to break Azumarill and Clefable a bit better. With that said you now lose coverage due to a lack of standards in the form of something like Ice Punch or Low Kick, leaving you prone to other threats against it. Sure you can run SD with the usual but you're still going to be walled by the same stuff, basically what Poison Jab would handle. Also Idk what stall you're exactly speaking of but I don't think I've actually seen a capable stall team/player ever threatened by Weavile. Sure it can usually just spam Knock Off and some hits here and there but Weavile does indeed get worn down quickly and it's not exactly hard for such archetypes to break it down in the long run.

I missed a point:

Lucario is generally too slow to sweep, since +2 ExtremeSpeed will not really get the job done against too many things since it doesn't hit anything super effectively.
Lucario is meant to sweep when the opposing team is weakened, and while a +2 Espeed failing to KO most Pokemon can be a huge drag, it is not as big of a problem as you are spinning it to be.

Most Mega Scizor are OHKOd by a +2 Close Combat.
Offensive Mega Venusaur is a guaranteed OHKOd by Iron Tail after Stealth Rock, and without Stealth Rock, 81.3% of the time. MVenu cannot even OHKO back with Hidden Power Fire, defensive variations can Leech Seed but will lose a lot of health anyways.
Azumarill is OHKOd by a +2 Iron Tail.
Standard Zard X (Adamant 160 Spe) fail to outspeed Lucario, and get OHKOd by Close Combat.
Rotom-W, yeah, it loses to Lucario.
Beating Talonflame is one of Lucario's strengths as a set-up sweeper.
Alomomola is OHKOd by a +2 Close Combat 87.5% of the time (we are talking the standard Smogon spread, 36 HP / 220 Def Calm) . Unless you switch Lucario into an Alomomola (which you should not), Alomomola will probably not be fishing for a Scald burn any time soon.
Skarmory is OHKOd by a +2 Close Combat 75% of the time.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 116 Def Mega Scizor: 341-402 (99.4 - 117.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Iron Tail vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 347-409 (96.6 - 113.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Iron Tail vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 347-409 (96.6 - 113.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mega Venusaur: 261-308 (71.7 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Iron Tail vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 499-589 (124.4 - 146.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 36 HP / 220 Def Alomomola: 468-551 (97.5 - 114.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Weavile needs Swords Dance to break Skarmory, which is seen on stall.

Iron Tail does have accuracy issues, I will give you that.

Weavile does not have the space for Swords Dance. It wants Ice Shard / Ice Punch / Knock Off / Pursuit / Low Kick before Swords Dance.
Idk, I calc'd Jolly. In regards to Weavile, I agree that SD is bad, but it generally does a better job than SD Luke against offense due to much higher speed and Knock Off.

The inaccuracy logic can only go so far considering that a majority of the sets used by many top tier threats which include Focus Blast on M-Gardevoir, Hydro Pump on Greninja and Keldeo, Focus Blast on Landorus-I and so forth doesn't change the fact they are still extremely efficient and necessary or very viable options for said mons.
But if Iron Tail is your best option against Pokemon who resist Close Combat, you'll basically have a 75% chance to win? Against Mew, Lati@s, Azu, Clefable, Gengar, Gliscor/Lando-T and so many other things? Especially when you have STAB on it?

But if Iron Tail is your best option against Pokemon who resist Close Combat, you'll basically have a 75% chance to win? Against Mew, Lati@s, Azu, Clefable, Gengar, Gliscor/Lando-T and so many other things? Especially when you have STAB on it?
Is that any worse than using focus blast for coverage? Because that's what iron tail is, coverage. It isn't a primary STAB move, and if it lets Lucario bypass it's most common counters, like what focus blast does for pokemon who use it as coverage, then it is well worth the risk.

Idk, I calc'd Jolly. In regards to Weavile, I agree that SD is bad, but it generally does a better job than SD Luke against offense due to much higher speed and Knock Off.

Weavile is better against offense throughout a match (although Lucario is good too), but after Lucario sets up late game on a -2 Latios when everything is slightly worn down, it's way more threatening than Weavile can ever hope to be. One is an all-out attacker while the other one is a late-game setup sweeper, they're hard to compare. I think in terms of these two Pokemon, they're fine as they are in the rankings. Weavile is about as good as the Pokemon in B- rank in general, although it's one of the better ones in that rank, while Lucario fits pretty nicely in B because of strong priority + CC, and being a threat to offense or stall after SD.

Idk, I calc'd Jolly.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Lucario Iron Tail vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 454-536 (113.2 - 133.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 116 Def Mega Scizor: 309-367 (90 - 106.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Lucario Iron Tail vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 317-374 (88.3 - 104.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 36 HP / 220 Def Alomomola: 426-503 (88.7 - 104.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (though I will let you off the hook on this one, because you were probably using a more physically defensive spread)

Obviously, Jolly Luc has issues with Skarmory and has a chance to lose to Defensive Mega Venusaur, but Jolly Lucario still achieves some of the OHKOs on these Pokemon. It also has a much lower chance to OHKO offensive Talonflame with Espeed, but eh, Talonflame will generally be weakened when you set up with Lucario.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
People were asking why Seismitoad rose to C rank. Outside of McMeghan and ben gay both supporting this, you can check the rain offense team posted in this thread that features Seismitoad, as a good offensive SR setter and Knock Off user, that is not lacking in power at all and checks Electric-types. Earth STAB is also great over Kingdra and Omastar, the other specially attacking SS users that rain teams use, and helps against Ferrothorn, Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, Kyurem-B, Empoleon, and a few other niche Pokemon, such as Lanturn, Gastrodon, and Toxicroak, big threats to rain.

As for Zapdos, it does check or counter a lot of important stuff atm, such as Mega Scizor, Azumarill, Bisharp, Landorus, Mega Pinsir, Talonflame, Ferrothorn, Gyarados, Hawlucha, SR +3 attacks Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Tornadus-T. Btw, it's not even a must to have Defog, as 3 attacks + Roost is also a great set, being able to check much better Pokemon such as Landorus, Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Dragonite, or Toxic + Roost, which cripples many of the usual answers to Zapdos, such as Mega Charizard X, Mamoswine, Kyurem-B, and Hippowdon. All in all, i think that Zapdos deserves to go back in B, as some of the stuff it deals with are really popular, and its only real flaw is that SR weakness, so if Mandibuzz can be in B with the same SR weakness so can Zapdos. Those two are pretty close in terms of viability, as defensive SR weak Pokemon with Defog, reliable recovery, and good overall bulk.

Other changes i agree with

Sableye to C+: Haven't seen any good defensive team using this recently, so it's i think its niche isn't that important, not 100% sure but leaning towards C+
Quagsire to B: Bisharp, Mega Zard X, Hawlucha, SD Talonflame, SD Mega Scizor, Raikou, Mega Manectric, SD Garchomp, Magnezone, and BD Azumarill are all very important Pokemon for stall teams to cover, and Quagsire does this, so i think it's good enough for B.
Blissey to C-: Gengar is all the rage atm, so having a chance against it is great. Also, having a hard counter to Landorus helps.

Changes i am neutral about but will probably happen

Froslass to C
Zygarde to C-
Staraptor to B-

Changes i want to see being discussed a bit more

McMeghan, i would like to see why you think those changes should happen:

Mega Heracross to A
Garchomp to A
Conkeldurr to B-
Kingdra to B+
Rhyperior to B+

From my experience with Garchomp, it has issues getting past Landorus-T and Clefable (Slowbro now too), which has discouraged me from using Scarf Garchomp over Scarf Landorus-T, which is a much more useful Scarf user because it is able to U-turn out of most threats or spam Knock Off rather than sit there and be a momentum vaccuum because you just sit there, hopelessly walled instead. Offensive Stealth Rock in my opinion fits onto some teams, but Stealth Rock Terrakion is a better setter because it is faster, and has access to Taunt, whereas Garchomp is sitting there in no man's land. Sure, Garchomp has some clear advantages over Terrakion, but when I want a Stealth Rock lead, I usually stick with Terrakion, or even Mamoswine, but not Garchomp. Banded Garchomp comes at the price of bad STABs to be locked into, making it really easy for a more balanced or stall team to take advantage of. Swords Dance might not be bad, but I really have no good opinion on that, and usually people are talking about Stealth Rock or Choice Scarf. But all in all, Garchomp is way too easy to take advantage of to stay in A+ rank.

I've used Staraptor recently, and I'd say it still has a good spot in its B ranking. It's most useful in birdspam teams, but kinda hard to fit in because of Pinsir and Talonflame taking up the slots. That being said, Staraptor is flat out ridiculous in terms of how hard it hits. It at least 2HKO's literally any wall, no matter how defensive, with the sole exception being Skarmory (and Doublade I guess), which still takes up to 40% from CC. It even 2HKO's Rhyperior. If you have this thing on a team with Talonflame, not only is Skarmory is less of a problem, but Staraptor does a stellar job of killing everything Talonflame hates like Tyranitar, Rotom-w, etc. It also gets utility in the form of U-turn. A very good wallbreaker, frighteningly effective with Magnezone/Talonflame support. It's main downsides are its frailty, bad typing, meh speed, and the fact that it practically kills itself with all the recoil it takes lol. That being said, imo it belongs in B unless there are any flaws I've missed, because this thing is good.

From my experience with Garchomp, it has issues getting past Landorus-T and Clefable (Slowbro now too), which has discouraged me from using Scarf Garchomp over Scarf Landorus-T, which is a much more useful Scarf user because it is able to U-turn out of most threats or spam Knock Off rather than sit there and be a momentum vaccuum because you just sit there, hopelessly walled instead. Offensive Stealth Rock in my opinion fits onto some teams, but Stealth Rock Terrakion is a better setter because it is faster, and has access to Taunt, whereas Garchomp is sitting there in no man's land. Sure, Garchomp has some clear advantages over Terrakion, but when I want a Stealth Rock lead, I usually stick with Terrakion, or even Mamoswine, but not Garchomp. Banded Garchomp comes at the price of bad STABs to be locked into, making it really easy for a more balanced or stall team to take advantage of. Swords Dance might not be bad, but I really have no good opinion on that, and usually people are talking about Stealth Rock or Choice Scarf. But all in all, Garchomp is way too easy to take advantage of to stay in A+ rank.
The main boon to using Garchomp as a lead is that because of Fire Blast, it doesn't get walled by Scizor and Skarm. Otherwise Mamo and Terrakion are better leads though.

People were asking why Seismitoad rose to C rank. Outside of McMeghan and ben gay both supporting this, you can check the rain offense team posted in this thread that features Seismitoad, as a good offensive SR setter and Knock Off user, that is not lacking in power at all and checks Electric-types. Earth STAB is also great over Kingdra and Omastar, the other specially attacking SS users that rain teams use, and helps against Ferrothorn, Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, Kyurem-B, Empoleon, and a few other niche Pokemon, such as Lanturn, Gastrodon, and Toxicroak, big threats to rain.
252+ SpA Life Orb Seismitoad Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gastrodon: 185-218 (43.4 - 51.1%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Seismitoad Earth Power vs. 232 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 134-160 (37.3 - 44.5%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Seismitoad Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 120 SpD Amoonguss: 165-195 (38.1 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

I will be fair about Mega Venusaur, since you can theoretically beat it with Synthesis being nerfed in rain, but Seismitoad struggles to break both Gastrodon and Amoonguss without getting some prior damage on them.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I think Sableye can drop to C+ at this point. It was a bit more hyped when M-Cham was really relevant in terms of that timeframe after the M-Mawile ban. After that though it has become prone to just too many things in the tier. Spikes usage makes its common ability to come in repeatedly to take resisted or immune hits a hindrance because it's forced in so many occasions to spam recover to maintain longevity. Besides the spikes usage in general though Sableye is pretty easy to actually wear down. It's not exactly that bulky, its the illusion that is presented by its typing that makes people assume this when it doesn't want to be taking hits from a lot of relevant threats in the tier. It has a solid niche in having the advantage of burning the majority of physical threats in the meta. However, I've never actually seen a good player get there physical attackers burned by this thing unless they didn't care or it was for another purpose entirely. It slows down very passive stall, Knock Off for a bit added utility, and that's where it shines but Sableye doesn't like such an offensive meta and realistically isn't B rank material.

I posted my opinion on others a couple pages back so that's all I can speak on. Still wondering the justification for Conkeldurr moving up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)