Other XY OU Pokemon of the Week #11: Gothitelle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, TRC. with Magnemite, CyclicCompound, and The Mega Lotad here bringing everyone the next Pokemon of the Week!

As you may have noticed, there was no Pokemon of the Week last week. This is because Magnemite was in the process of getting a new computer, and my own computer broke down several days before. We apologize for this, but to make up for it, we're adding a new member to our lineup, CyclicCompound! CyclicCompound has written many Pokemon analyses and is a member of the OU QC team, so his metagame knowledge is sure to be handy.

The XY OU Pokemon of the Week is an (obviously) weekly project in the Overused forum. The idea originated from when we were reading many of the discussion threads, often the discussion is a bit lacking in the content department. Our goal here to is to highlight a threat in the metagame that isn't as well known, or isn't used as much as it should be, and provide a concise amount of information about that Pokemon; this will encourage creativity during teambuilding, and it will also provide an instant wealth of knowledge about that particular threat. This will hopefully be more helpful to the massive influx of new players in the OU subforum and promote better discussion within the individual threads. In this thread though, the main point of discussion should be about experiences with that particular Pokemon and the sets featured, and how it has helped in some way during your battling. Niche sets and gimmicks can be mentioned as well, but bear in mind that this thread is mainly an informative source of knowledge through what is written in the OP; discussion is not its main focus, though it is most certainly allowed. we need to make this point clear. Think of this like an article introducing you to a new threat that you can use; and try it out! Oh yeah, you can also VM one of us what you think the next POTW should be, bearing in mind that they will be on lesser-used threats, such as Chesnaught, Krookodile, or Cofagrigus.

Remember, in order to be Pokemon of the Week, a Pokemon must be in a tier below OU (Including BL), based on the new 1760 stats.

This week's Pokemon of the Week is Gothitelle.

Type: Psychic
Base Stats: 70 HP / 55 Atk / 95 Def / 95 SpA / 110 SpD / 65 Spe
Ability: Frisk / Competitive / Shadow Tag

Introduction
Gothitelle is one of few trapping Pokemon in the game, and while a few things may not have gone its way in the generational shift, some things definitely have, such as the popularity of stall teams, an archetype which Gothitelle can dispatch with ease. You see, Gothitelle's main role on a team is to trap the members of stall teams, KO them, and rinse and repeat. It uses Choice Specs boosted attacks to KO the Pokemon on a stall team one-by-one, until the core is eliminated and a teammate can sweep. It uses its coverage, as well as Trick, to get the job done, but this is all only possible with Shadow Tag.

However, a weakness to Pursuit is ill-advised in the current meta, and with the way Gothitelle plays, Pursuit is easy to impose. Aegislash is also a bother, and Gothitelle often gives up momentum as its locked into a move, forced to switch out. It also doesn't hit that hard at all, even with Choice Specs, and its defensive typing and physical bulk leave a lot to be desired.

What to try:

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fire / Energy Ball
- Trick

Gothitelle's main set is designed to trap and KO the Pokemon in an opponents stall core, using a variety of coverage moves designed specifically for certain threats. Psychic is Gothitelle's most powerful STAB move, and it beats Mega Venusaur soundly, but Psyshock is an option to OHKO Conkeldurr, as well as defend Gothitelle from Calm Mind boosters if it has already used Trick. Thunderbolt is the only irreplaceable coverage option, as it hits Skarmory, Mandibuzz, Togekiss, and Azumarill. There is more leeway with the third slot: Hidden Power Fire allows you to break through Ferrothorn and defensive Mega Scizor, whereas Energy Ball is used for Hippowdon, Quagsire, and Rotom-W. Trick is arguably the most important move on the set, as it cripples Chansey, Clefable, Suicune, and a number of other defensive Pokemon that rely on their ability to switch moves. From hereon, you can tailor your moveset to your specific needs. Hidden Power Ground can be used if Heatran is a bother to your team, while Hidden Power Ice smashes Landorus-T and Gliscor, as well as Dragon-types. The EVs and nature are pretty simple, as is the item choice; Gothitelle needs all the power it can get.

What else can you try?
There were a few other Gothitelle sets in BW that have faded into obscurity now, such as a Choice Scarf set to revenge kill faster Pokemon, a Calm Mind set, and an All-Out Attacker set. Unfortunately, they all suffer from major flaws: the Choice Scarf set is exceedingly weak, the Calm Mind finds trouble sweeping with its lack of reliable recovery and poor Speed, and the All-Out Attacker doesn't really excel at much over the Choice Specs set. The gimmicky Trick + Protect + Torment set is an option to infuriate your opponent, but it really doesn't do much else.

Good Partners for this Pokemon:
Generally teams with Gothitelle enjoy Sticky Web, as it opens up a much larger pool of Pokemon to trap. However, this compounds a weakness to Bisharp. Instead, try Pokemon, specifically sweepers, that struggle with the Pokemon that Gothitelle can remove. For example, Manaphy and Azumarill enjoy the removal of Mega Venusaur, Thundurus loves Chansey gone, Mega Tyranitar can do without Hippowdon and Skarmory, and Mega Charizard X has a much easier time without Quagsire.

Playing against Gothitelle: Checks and Counters
Pursuit is a generally obvious check for Gothitelle, especially if its locked into a move that the Pursuit user can take easily. Common examples include Bisharp, Aegislash, Tyranitar, and Scizor. It can also be revenge killed quite easily by faster Pokemon, such as Gengar, Mega Gardevoir, Greninja, Thundurus, Landorus-T, or Mega Charizard Y. Landorus-T can also considerably dent Gothitelle with U-turn.

There we go, that's the eleventh Pokemon of the Week! Let us know whether this has helped you at all, and your results of testing this Gothitelle set on the ladder. Also, don't forget to let us know via VM what Pokemon you want to see next. All opinions are welcome, as well as opinions about the Pokemon of the Week format and any ideas you want to see implemented, as well as questions for us about either Gothitelle or POTW itself. Go out there and try Gothitelle now, and we'll see you next time!

Gothitelle is GREAT. Trapping abilities are just so anti-stall it's not even funny. Gothitelle just murders common stall staples:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Gothitelle Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 332-392 (91.2 - 107.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Gothitelle Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 350-412 (104.7 - 123.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Gothitelle Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Quagsire: 740-872 (187.8 - 221.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Plus if you run into anything you CAN'T handle from stall, just trick it your scarf (Chansey, Clefable, Hippowdon, etc.) Gothitelle's the best.

Someone brought this set up in the VR creative sets thread, but I'll repost it here since it seems like a decent anti-stall set it can run.

Gothitelle (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / Some combination of Def/SpD
Calm/Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick
- Taunt
- Psyshock
- Rest

Basically the point is to switch into a wall such as Chansey, and trick scarf onto it. If it attacks, it shouldn't do that much (since its a wall) and you can heal off the damage with rest. If it uses any support move, you can taunt it and force it to struggle. Right before it dies, you can get your scarf back to do it all over again. This set also has a lot of use for getting rid of defensive defoggers such as Skarmory (while crippling defoggers like Mandibuzz that it can't outright beat) or the few defensive spinners out there. This allows defensive teams to hazard stack to some degree.

The Evs are flexible, though running some speed on it will allow it to come in and cripple a faster offensive pokemon with trick, when facing offense.

Credit goes to WECAMEASROMANS for discovering it.

Last edited:
Someone brought this set up in the VR creative sets thread, but I'll repost it here since it seems like a decent anti-stall set it can run.

EVs: 188 Spd / 252 HP / 68 Def
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Taunt
- Psyshock
- Rest

Basically the point is to switch into a wall such as Chansey, and trick scarf onto it. If it attacks, it shouldn't do that much (since its a wall) and you can heal off the damage with rest. If it uses any support move, you can taunt it and force it to struggle. Right before it dies, you can get your scarf back to do it all over again. This set also has a lot of use for getting rid of defensive defoggers such as Skarmory (while crippling defoggers like Mandibuzz that it can't outright beat) or the few defensive spinners out there. This allows defensive teams to hazard stack to some degree.

The Evs are flexible, I just made this one out-speed Latias with the scarf so it can trick it first.

I personally run this set on my stall team because I was having trouble with certain opposing stall pokemon and it works wonderfully. I usually run torment over taunt however because a lot of the time my opponent will know I'm about to trick them specs/scarf so they lock themselves into an attacking move making taunt useless. Torment forces them to struggle every other turn, wearing them down much quicker. This is a great Pokemon and I'm glad to see that it is getting some recognition!

Gothitelle is incredibly underrated. It's able to rip through stall like none other, being able to OHKO many components of a stall team. Looking over this thread, I'm inspired to use it again because of the TrickScarf taunt set.

I gotta say i have used Gothitelle on my rain team and it works incredibly well since it can defeat or at least cripple most of the usual rain counters. Mega Venusaur will be trapped and ko'd by Psychic / Psyshock, the rare Gastrodon dies to an Energy ball to the face and anything thit it can't kill has to continue the battle holding a choice item ( Ferrothorn, Chansey )

phil

could do worse
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
IMO Goth is a mon that is best used in high-level tournament play where you have an idea of what the opponent is going to bring. It ranges from fantastic to dead weight depending on what sort of team you're battling against, being essentially useless against offense teams which don't really mind being trapped and can deal with Goth easily, but then again puts incredible pressure and limitations on Chansey/a few other mons users as they can't bring in the stuff without the risk of losing it to Goth.

It's definitely an interesting and very good mon but it tends to blow hot and cold depending on what matchup you're against.

I like the choice scarf set a lot. I use hidden power ice, psyshock, thunderbolt, and trick. It gets the jump on keldeo, charizard-y, garchomp, landorus, gengar, megapinsir, and infernape. All of which are problematic pokemon who are very nice to trap and stop their spam for good. My teams aren't really bothered by trying to trap things like quagsire and vensaur. What I want to trap are the pokemon with unpredictably strong STABs and coverage moves that I'd rather not try to guess the right switch in. It's obviously weaker than the specs set, but it carries out its assassin jobs very well, and if it didn't quite kill something off, they'll still be in range for a scizor bullet punch or something. However, the frustrating thing about using ANY gothitelle set is the fact that no matter which move you're locked into, you're pretty much always set-up fodder for DD mega tar, DD mega gyarados, SD bisharp, sub aegislash, sub mawile, and DD dragonite. Sometimes getting the guaranteed kill actually isn't worth it because you can't do anything at all to their next threat.

I like the choice scarf set a lot. I use hidden power ice, psyshock, thunderbolt, and trick. It gets the jump on keldeo, charizard-y, garchomp, landorus, gengar, megapinsir, and infernape. All of which are problematic pokemon who are very nice to trap and stop their spam for good. My teams aren't really bothered by trying to trap things like quagsire and vensaur. What I want to trap are the pokemon with unpredictably strong STABs and coverage moves that I'd rather not try to guess the right switch in. It's obviously weaker than the specs set, but it carries out its assassin jobs very well, and if it didn't quite kill something off, they'll still be in range for a scizor bullet punch or something. However, the frustrating thing about using ANY gothitelle set is the fact that no matter which move you're locked into, you're pretty much always set-up fodder for DD mega tar, DD mega gyarados, SD bisharp, sub aegislash, sub mawile, and DD dragonite. Sometimes getting the guaranteed kill actually isn't worth it because you can't do anything at all to their next threat.
Just as a minor nitpick, Gengar cannot get trapped by Shadow Tag since it is a Ghost-type mon. But yeah it is really nice to be able to outspeed and OHKO a handful of key threats with minimal prediction required.

I am starting to hop on the Goth bandwagon as well; after my stall team got demolished by the aforementioned Trick/Taunt/Rest/Psyshock set, I decided to try it out for myself. I just slapped Goth onto my five-mon stall team and it has worked WONDERS. The five stall mons shut down offensive teams, and Goth can single handedly demolish defensive teams that I used to really struggle against. my EV spread is 252 HP/68 SpDef/188 Spd (Timid) so that I outspeed base 110s and be able to trap and KO Defog Latias and Latios if I play my cards right. I don't think I've had a single match where just the very existence of Goth on my team has put tremendous pressure on the opponent, often resulting in several misplays that I capitalize on. Goth is a freaking beast guys.

EVs: 252 HP / Some combination of Def/SpD
Calm/Bold Nature
- Trick
- Taunt
- Psyshock
- Rest

The Evs are flexible, though running some speed on it will allow it to come in and cripple a faster offensive pokemon with trick, when facing offense.

80 hp. max speA rest in speed. Modest nature -_-

80 hp. max speA rest in speed. Modest nature -_-
You definitely want to invest in Def/SpD and even Speed more than in SpA, so modest really isn't a good nature. The point is to either make them struggle immediately with taunt if they use a support move, or drain the PP with rest (which isn't to difficult as they only have 1 move). Psyshock is somewhat situational, and the least important move on the set.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I honestly don't see TrickScarf Taunt Goth as a good set. It's good vs stall I guess, but it's just dead weight vs offense and setup fodder for dangerous sweepers such as Mega Tyranitar and Mega Char X. Specs still destroys vs stall but can actually chunk at offensive Pokemon (i.e. do damage) and is useful vs balance to kill their walls. Anything besides that is rather pointless imo ._.

I've been using the specs set to remove pinsir's counters. I also use talonflame with u-turn to lure in rotom-w and zapdos to gothitelle can trap and kill them.

I honestly don't see TrickScarf Taunt Goth as a good set. It's good vs stall I guess, but it's just dead weight vs offense and setup fodder for dangerous sweepers such as Mega Tyranitar and Mega Char X. Specs still destroys vs stall but can actually chunk at offensive Pokemon (i.e. do damage) and is useful vs balance to kill their walls. Anything besides that is rather pointless imo ._.
Yeah, I don't think its that amazing of a set either, it's just a set I thought was pretty interesting. I think that it definitely could have a small niche on stall teams that have problems with opposing stall teams, as the other mons can deal with offense. I don't have a lot of experience with it as I haven't used it on a serious team, but its worked reasonably well when I just tried it out for fun.

It wouldn't be good on an offensive team but it is great for a defensive/stall team. And it isn't really setup fodder for ttar and zard x because almost every stall team has quagsire/clefable with unaware and those two ddancers cannot touch them

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It wouldn't be good on an offensive team but it is great for a defensive/stall team. And it isn't really setup fodder for ttar and zard x because almost every stall team has quagsire/clefable with unaware and those two ddancers cannot touch them
just quagsire of those, clefable just gets 2hkoed... you're also playing 5v6 vs offense which is terrible, you're saccing a good mon that could help cover more threats. a perfect example of this is fingerscrossed's stall team which is basically 6-0'd by landorus and taunt mega garde because he has goth instead of a good defensive pokemon to deal with these threats.

just quagsire of those, clefable just gets 2hkoed... you're also playing 5v6 vs offense which is terrible, you're saccing a good mon that could help cover more threats. a perfect example of this is fingerscrossed's stall team which is basically 6-0'd by landorus and taunt mega garde because he has goth instead of a good defensive pokemon to deal with these threats.
Yes, it really depends on the team members. But on my stall team it fits in perfectly. Also daruude sandstorm peaked at #1 with a stall team with that gothitelle. He may still be #1 but I'm not sure and don't feel like checking

For what it's worth, I'm currently playing around with a 5mon Stall + TrickScarf Goth team and it's gotten me to the Top 20s on the ladder. Honestly there are games where Goth is by far the MVP (like there's no way I'm losing against any full-stall team), and there are games where Goth really lets me down. The cool thing about Goth is that if you play your cards right, he can shut down Defog Latias and Latios in its tracks. For example, if you switch in Goth in on a Defog and then go for the Trick right away, there is no way Latios can 2HKO Goth with Dmetor. Obviously with Latias its an even better matchup. Goth can then Rest stall up until the point where they run out of PP and Struggle to death. at that point the only thing you have to worry about is a crit.

Another cool thing about this set is that it can really mess around with Deo-D. Before I added Goth, my was so offensively weak that it couldn't KO Deo until it got up like 3-4 layers of entry hazards, and then the opposing team would put way too much pressure for me to recover from. But now I can just Trick a Scarf onto Deo-D and limit it to a max of 1 hazard, and then it makes it easier for me to switch into my Defogger of choice. Obviously you're not going to just slap this Goth set on your team and call it a day, and many teams would rather use a different mon/set, but if supported correctly, it can and will be the MVP of many a match. Chansey, Blissey, Skarmory, Suicune, Quagsire, defensive Heatran, defensive Latias, defensive Clefable... all these defensive pokemon (and probably several more) are basically LIABILITIES as long as Goth remains alive and well (which is very possible with Rest alongside Heal Bell support).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)