Words with friends*

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
I want to play.
You want to play.
If you don't want to play, you're not a cool qat.
So post your username and let's PLAY.

If you have my Facebook, why aren't we playing yet?

*Not sure if I'm posting in the right place.

Maybe we can set up a Smogon tournament or something... I'm thinking:

- A round robin where you play everyone twice.
- Top 8 get seeded for the knockout stages.
- Since we play only two games for each round, that gives an underdog a chance.
- Aggregate points would be the tiebreaker.

Interested?

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Unfortunately, the love I had for this game back when I first got it a year ago is gone and has been replaced with pure anger and hatred. I have stopped playing it in favor of Scramble With Friends.

I'm Boj_Angles, come at me.

Scramble in Friends is where it's at. Too many people use sites like this and cheat and it's bullshit. I like Scrabble in person because you actually have to use the words in your brain instead of the words the Internet tells you to play.

But in Scramble it's impossible to cheat and it's more enjoyable overall :3

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
McGraw is an honorable man.
Aside from leading hoards of innocent young Smogonites to their inevitable Scrabble doom...

I don't like the websites that tell you words but I do tend to spam words hoping to get lucky sometimes. It's stupid but...hey! Can't help it =(

obviously you can cheat in scramble lol

that being said it's still a far superior game

username is loukgv, come at me phags

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
They finally released WWF for Windows Phone but only the paid version for $2.99 and I just would feel dirty giving money to Zynga :( We'll see if I give in.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Scramble in Friends is where it's at. Too many people use sites like this and cheat and it's bullshit. I like Scrabble in person because you actually have to use the words in your brain instead of the words the Internet tells you to play.
I don't like the websites that tell you words but I do tend to spam words hoping to get lucky sometimes.
The problem is Scrabble and its derivatives are bad games whose competitiveness arise from pure dictionary memorization.

As someone who doesn't dabble in any of this shit, anyone wanna tell me the difference between WWF and SWF, besides both acronyms reminding me of very different things? Nevermind, the power of Google tells me that the latter is Boggle. Darn, I was hoping it was another knockoff that wasn't made by Zynga. Fuck them.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
The problem is Scrabble and its derivatives are bad games whose competitiveness arise from pure dictionary memorization.
I disagree.

- Defensive play
- Rack management
- Tile counting

etc.

There's also a significant luck element in the short run.

If it's being simplified to that degree, then I'm going to take a guess here and say no one has played a proper game of Scrabble.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
what mcgraw said is completely true and valid - scrabble is not just about trying to play for the most points each and every turn. sometimes it's a better move to play your tiles in a way that further hinders the board rather than opening it up for more word options, if you're in a tight spot. forcing your opponent to open up the board toward TW tiles, DW, TL that you can build off of in two directions… definite mind games!!

though I miss playing scrabble with a real board, my grandmother bought the 50yr anniversary scrabble game and the entire board swiveled, and had a raised grid so the tiles wouldn't slide around. so badass.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Problem with WWF is it allows some words of questionable legitimacy. You can play the words "QI" and "QAT" even though neither are real English words, for example. I've also seen many other words that were allowed by the game but were not real. Also why would someone cheat at a damn phone word game? Honestly that takes 100% of the fun out of it.

Echoing the sentiments of McGraw/Feeshy/blara that Scrabble is very much not solely about vocabulary. In fact, I'd say less than 50% of the game is about your vocabulary. Most of the game is about defense and tile placement strategy, where the longest/most complex word won't always net you the most points.

Problem with WWF is it allows some words of questionable legitimacy. You can play the words "QI" and "QAT" even though neither are real English words, for example. I've also seen many other words that were allowed by the game but were not real.
what? both of those are real words, the former being a spelling of 'chi', the chinese concept of spirit energy, and the latter being the leaf of a certain species of tree or plant. these have been 'real english words' for a while, since they were perfectly acceptable in scrabble back when i played semi-competitively a decade ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)