Why the hell aren't you using him yet!?! (Rhyperior Discussion)

I use him for late game sweeping. I have heatran drag out any Bulky waters, switch to something else, demolish the waters, and then baton pass a sub to Rhyperior so he doesn't get any damage coming in(this is optimum, usualy I just switch him in) and then he just sweeps!

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It also takes over 50% from Scizor's Bullet Punch and a fair amount of damage from Ice Shard as well, though. When I used it, I kept coming up against all sorts of priority moves that Metagross didn't have a problem with.

Alice

The worst taste in music
Right now I'm using a very meh set:

Rhyperior @ lefties
Adamant
252 atk, 252 hp, 4 def

-fire punch
-ice punch
-SE
-EQ

And surprisingly, this thing deals a lot of damage to almost anything. Yeah, perhaps sub makes prediction easier, but still I like this set. The only things that can really damage it are stabbed grass/water attacks. But having heatran and vaporeon on the same team eases things a lot (especially vaporeon, who can wishpass). It's a great wallbreaker, but it's also a great asset to any stall team as a solid damage dealer (since almost everything gets nailed hard on the switch).

Max number of Metagross who actually use their Psychic STAB is 4.6% according to Dougs stats.
I think that is what he was saying in the first place. The reason only 4.6% of Metagross use a psychic-type move is because psychic isn't a very good type when paired with steel offensively.

It's pretty obvious that Rhyperior has the great offensive typing and quite bad defensive typing, and Metagross has the great defensive typing and rather bad offensive typing (it least it's not part Poison). However, they've both got the stats (and abilities) to almost not give a shit about either of those.

I don't see the point in elemental punches on Rhyperior, except possibly for Fire Punch but only for Forretress/Scizor. A STAB Stone Edge or Earthquake does just as much as a non-STAB x2 elemental punch, and therefore a STAB x2 Stone Edge or Earthquake does as much as a non-STAB x4 elemental punch. And even so, it looks like Fire Punch will really only be useful against Forretress...whom Swords Dance (or whatever set-up move of your choice) may actually be preferred against.

EDIT:
The reason only 4.6% of Metagross use a psychic-type move is because psychic isn't a very good type when paired with steel offensively.
More like in general...

I think that is what he was saying in the first place. The reason only 4.6% of Metagross use a psychic-type move is because psychic isn't a very good type when paired with steel offensively.
Lol yeah, I was backing him up... I thought the statistics rather backup up his point >_>

I don't see the point of Fire Punch on Rhyperior.

Sure it hits Forretress harder, but Forretress does not resist either SE nor EQ, and cannot do anything back to Rhyperior. A weak non-STAB EQ does nothing to Solid Rock Rhyperior. Gyro Ball does even less since Rhyperior has shit speed, and Explosion does lol-damage as well.

Scizor can't switch into Choice Band SE or EQ.

Fire Punch hits Bronzong harder I guess, but Bronzong also can't do anything back to Rhyperior (barring the very rare Grass Knot).

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Scizor can't switch into a CB anything, and dies to a +2 Earthquake, my point was that all the Bullet Punch and Ice Shard going around is a serious problem for the Rock Polish set to get around, and partly why I believe Agility Gross does a better job filling that particular role.

Yes Rhyperior has his good qualities, but in my opinion, solid rock just isn't enough to shield Rhyperior from that terrible 400% weakness to both Grass and Water. With a sandstorm user Rhyperior could work seeing as how most grass and water attacks (barring waterfall) are special, and his physical defenses are good however, you have to consider that first of all, the 2 users of sand stream are also weak to Grass and Water which could be bad for your team, and make your team 1 dimensional.
Also, popular pokemon, especially when they're meant to have bulldozing capabilities don't usually have hands down counters. Rhyperior has all bulky waters (Vaporeon, Milotic, Suicune and especially Swampert) to worry about, and although it's not seen very often, Torterra, due to it's typing walls Rhyperior completely unless Rhyperior has Megahorn.

Rhyperior has good Defensive and offensive stats (both in the physical department) a great ability and a fairly good movepool. However, it just doesn't have the Speed to really put holes in teams since most teams pack at least 5 moves that pack super effective hits on Rhyperior (Grass, Water, Ice, Earth and Fighting) and While the Rock and Ground combination provides fantastic tpye coverage, it destroys it defensively to the point where it's hard for even a great ability like Solid Rock to Save it. BL may be an understatement but that is where it belongs. Rhyperior is way too easily countered and is inferior to Swampert to what it does.

ages ago i used to run a very effective set that 6-0'd many teams

Rhyperior @ Life Orb
1. Rock Polish
2. Stone Edge
3. Earthquake
4. Megahorn

Sustained Serenity

I used RP Ryperior today and it was very hard to take down.

I was testing it at first, but I found out to be a very hard threat to take down. I've been able to sweep a good numbers of teams with QuakeSlide. My last slot would be Megahorn for Celebi. I can't tell you how much times the opponent has ignorantly switched in Celebi. They get surprised with a strong megahorn. Usually after that, I open holes on the opponent's teams for Lucario to sweep endgame.

Thanks Colonel M :)

I have not used Rhyperior for a long time, but A Ninjask BPed a rhyperior 2 speed boosts, and rhyperior then swept my team. Im thinking of using a Rock Polish Rhyperior soon.

Yes Rhyperior has his good qualities, but in my opinion, solid rock just isn't enough to shield Rhyperior from that terrible 400% weakness to both Grass and Water. You shouldn't be trying to do that. Those probably help balance it from preventing it from being TOO impenetrable, especially under sandstorm. With a sandstorm user Rhyperior could work seeing as how most grass and water attacks (barring waterfall) are special, and his physical defenses are good however, you have to consider that first of all, the 2 users of sand stream are also weak to Grass and Water which could be bad for your team, and make your team 1 dimensional. Tyranitar's special boost from sandstorm could help, and both are different types to Rhyperior. This may be your most viable point, however, but it works pretty well. You just have to ensure the rest of your team can make up for it.
Also, popular pokemon, especially when they're meant to have bulldozing capabilities don't usually have hands down counters. Rhyperior has all bulky waters (Vaporeon, Milotic, Suicune and especially Swampert) to worry about, and although it's not seen very often, Torterra, due to it's typing walls Rhyperior completely unless Rhyperior has Megahorn. Or avalanche. And other than that, Rhyperior doesn't have that many counters. You've got to be fair on it, considering it's ridiculous physical stats and HP as it is, which without these weaknesses would likely make it uber.

Rhyperior has good Defensive and offensive stats (both in the physical department) a great ability and a fairly good movepool. However, it just doesn't have the Speed Not everything needs to be faster than everything else. You're comparing it to Swampert who isn't exactly an olympic runner either, and he can't learn Rock Polish to correct this problem. And there is such a thing as a bulky sweeper, they don't all need to be fast ones. to really put holes in teams since most teams pack at least 5 moves that pack super effective hits on Rhyperior (Grass, Water, Ice, Earth and Fighting) You could say that about ALOT of Pokemon, not just Rhyperior. Any decent balanced team should be able to cover almost every type, if not all of them. and While the Rock and Ground combination provides fantastic tpye coverage, it destroys it defensively to the point where it's hard for even a great ability like Solid Rock to Save it. BL may be an understatement but that is where it belongs. Rhyperior is way too easily countered and is inferior to Swampert to what it does. Swampert works too differently for it to be fair to compare it to him as well. Rhyperior is not a bulky water, off cours Swampert fills that role better. Swampert can't hit nearly as hard, and doesn't take certain attacks as well as Rhyperior can either.
I can't say your argument against it is greatly convincing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)