Welcome Home [OU] - Peaked #7

vashta

"It was pretty cool to watch Tim Duncan from afar"
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Welcome Home

The DoctorDonna -- the inspiration of the team.

Introduction
------------------------------
OK guys, I have another Rate my team to throw at you! It's funny, since I started competitive battling in late 2008, I have never posted a Rate my team based on the offensive genre even though I am really an offensive player at heart, regardless of all the stall-based balanced teams indications with regards to my play-style. I find offensive teams to be the most easiest genre of team to utilize due to their hard-hitting nature and ability to finish games faster than if I was to use any other form of play; defenses aren't all that make a team successful, but resistances and other methods of synergical movements allow offense to be at its best as it then creates its own defense from this. Offensive teams, such as most balanced teams, consists of some sort of core that work together to open wholes for other Pokémon or a Pokémon in the core... usually a set-up sweeper.

The following team that I will present is as you may have already noticed, based upon the concept of the "offensive" play; the purpose being to demonstrate the full synergical potential of a team that would usually fall to teams that are of a more "bulkier" nature, such as stall through residual damage, but, however, do not share this common trait as it shuts down stall -- you could call this team "anti-stall", though that wasn't its initial intention when it was created. The team itself is based around the concept of absolutely shutting down stall teams's purpose that is setting up entry hazards easily and, from that, obliterate these teams and overwhelm all foes in general with a mixture of wall-breaking and all-out, hard-hitting attacks; attacking each side of the attacking spectrum equally to even out the possibility of encountering certain biased teams. This team is based around enabling the successful sweep of the Pokémon, Lucario as it is possibly the best late-game sweeper in Pokémon history, but, the highlight of the team, and probably the team player of this team is Heatran -- you'll see why later in this Rate my team topic.

I hope one enjoys this Rate my team, but, as it is far from being the best team, I hope one can possibly suggest help for this team to increase its potential. Note that the core of this team is: Salamence, Heatran, and Lucario, and this is not subject to change unless I am given a pretty good reason why it can or should for the best results. I have only used this team properly for the past couple of days; anyone you've seen who isn't "Vashta", "rose tyler", "Vashta Nerada", "white sparrows" or "welcome home" is someone I've let us the team, not myself. I've only used the team at this stage in its development on the latter alt.

For those interested in numbers, this team got me to a CRE of 1620~ and rank of #7 on the Smogon University Leaderboard. Now, onto the team...!

Through the Microscope
------------------------------

@

Gliscor (M) @ Leftovers *** 1983
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 208 HP | 80 Atk | 220 Spe
Jolly Nature [+Speed, -Special Attack]
- Earthquake
- Roost
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
Set Analysis:

Gliscor is probably one of the best leads in Pokémon existence due to the fact that it has very good Speed, decent Attack (meaning it can retailiate against other common leads and in late-game) and access to Stealth Rock. Gliscor works as my primary check to threats such as Swords Dance Lucario, Tyranitar and non-Ice Punch Machamp; Heracross and non-Ice Punch Metagross fall under the list to an extent, also. Having a Jolly Nature allows me to outpace all positive-natured base 90 Pokémon such as Jolly Ice Punch Lucario, etcetera. I chose Sand Veil over Hyper Cutter simply because the evasion increase is much more reliable and helpful to me on so many levels, especially when I encounter stall teams with Hippowdon / Tyranitar, etcetera -- with Sand Veil, Gliscor can laugh head on at most Scizors locked into a move that isn't Bullet Punch and spam Earthquake at it as if it was nothing. Obviously, Roost gives me a reliable recovery for stalling out Pokémon such as Tyranitar if I switch in on Stone Edge and can't afford to hit it back with Earthquake.

Taunt vs U-turn: I spent weeks trying to figure out how to deal with this dilemna; Taunt helped me deal with the odd Skarmory leads and other leads from setting up, however, once we had switched out our Pokémon, my opponent would end up switching in again and setting up, meaning Taunt is useless unless I need to stall out a Pokémon such as non-Ice Beam Blissey or Breloom; though this may be beneficial to my team to an extent, it is no where as beneficial as U-turn, as the aforementioned scenarios can be worked around albeit a bit dificult, mind you. U-turn is much more useful for this particular team because as a lead, Gliscor may encounter lots of faster leads with Taunt... leads that may not be hit by Earthquake - most notably, Azelf. These leads can Taunt me and I will be forced to switch, in which time, they can hit me with a variety of moves such as Fire Blast, Psychic, or Explosion -- all moves that I can't really afford to be hit by as Scizor is my only check to Azelf otherwise, and it is OHKOed by Fire Blast and takes a massive hit from Explosion -- I need Scizor to play as a team-player; long enough for it to do its job -- it cannot do its job if it is at ~30% health, or not very effectively at least. I eventually turned to using U-turn because I could scout out any lead that my seem a problem, breaking Focus Sashes that could cause problems, and switching to immediate counters; being able to do 50%+ on both Azelf and Celebi is great as I can go straight to Scizor without any problems, and, possibly prevent Stealth Rock from being set-up. U-turn is a great move also because it hits Celebi as I have said before -- it can switch into Thunder Wave because of its immunity to Electric-type attacks and deal hefty amounts of damage as sometimes Scizor nor Heatran can deal with Celebi as some carry Hidden Power Fire and Earth Power for them both, respectively, as Gliscor isn't taking major damage from Grass Knot.

Earthquake is for obvious STAB against foes and Stealth Rock is a necessity to this team in particular because of the need to remove Focus Sash and deal heavy damage to foes such as Gyarados and Salamence, both of which are major threats to this team if my checks are removed beforehand.
EVs & Nature:

The EVs are a slight variation from the standard EVs: 220 Spe, paired with a Jolly nature allows me to outspeed opposing Gliscors that run 308 Speed, so I am not subject to Taunt and I can deal with most Substitute + Calm Mind Jirachi - the unfortunate thing is, I end up making a revelation in my team, giving my opponent a slight upper-hand, to an extent I guess. The 80 Atk allow me to 2HKO most Metagross and Tyranitar with Earthquake, and 2HKO Celebi and Azelf with U-turn. The rest of the EVs are dumped into HP to compensate for the loss in original Defense that the original EV spread would have created.
Other Options
Before I ended up settling for Gliscor, I went through testing phases with two other Pokémon: Swampert, then, for a more offensive approach, Mamoswine. To be honest, all I was looking for was an effective lead with an immunity to Electric-type attacks and possibly some way of dealing with Tyranitar and/or Lucario as Salamence couldn't take the latter after a Swords Dance boost + Stealth Rocks + Life Orb, and Scizor isn't exactly the best switch-in to Tyranitar.
Lead Comparison

This is how Gliscor fairs against the top ten common leads according to the usage statistics; blue indicates little trouble caused, orange indicates that there is a bit of switching to do, and red is problematic:
  • Metagross: Metagross is a pretty simple lead to deal with; Earthquake on the first turn to scout its set; it will either be Trick Scarf, in which it is forced to switch out, or it is the standard set which is 2HKOed anyway, so I use Stealth Rock as he switches. Not a problematic Pokémon to deal with as a lead, to be honest.
  • Azelf: Azelf isn't really a problematic lead thanks to U-turn as I have already stated; I switch to Scizor to Bullet Punch / U-turn if Azelf has Taunted or if it hasn't, respectively.
  • Jirachi: This is in the same boat as Metagross, I guess. I must watch out for possible Ice Punch carriers, though.
  • Swampert: Unlike the top three leads, I have real problems with Swampert. I will never stay in; I will always U-turn out to Scizor to take Ice Beam, and then use that to U-turn to Latias, and then back to Scizor - a long-winded situation indeed. =[
  • Aerodactyl: Like Azelf but a lot easier to handle: U-turn out on their Taunt, breaking their Focus Sash, and move to Scizor to Bullet Punch or Pursuit.
  • Infernape: Thinking I'll switch due to the possibility of being hit by Fire Blast, I usually just Stealth Rock then go to Latias, or just U-turn to break the Focus Sash.... from there it just depends on the set.
  • Hippowdon: Not much I can do to it, nor is there much they can do to me; we both setup Stealth Rock with a 100% guarantee, then I'll just U-turn to Scizor, U-turn to Latias or whatever...
  • Bronzong: Again, I can't really harm it, nor can it really harm me -- we both setup Stealth Rock. Then I U-turn out to Scizor who U-turns, back and forth.
  • Ninjask: Heh, easy. Just Stealth Rock as they Substitute / Protect, then go to Heatran who Fire Blasts as they Protect (to conceil Taunt) and then use Taunt before they Baton Pass -- my team can't handle most recipients.
  • Tyranitar: As a lead, Tyranitar can be an absolute threat if it is Mixed; Scizor nor Gliscor can deal with it. U-turn to Scizor, maybe?

Gliscor is named after the lyric in the song "Turn your back", by Billy Talent. It also happens to be Haunter's birth year. =)

-----

@

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band *** Tab-batha
Ability: Technician
EVs: 160 HP | 176 Atk | 168 SpD | 4 Spe
Adamant nature [+Attack, -Special Attack]
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Pursuit
Set Analysis:

Special Defensive Scizor, the best variant of Scizor known to man. To be honest, I really needed something that could switch in to some special-based attacks from Pokémon such as Vaporeon, etcetera, cause some U-turn damage, then go to Latias to finish them off. Without Scizor on this team, and the resistances it brings, I wouldn't have a check to foes such as Blissey, Cresselia, Tyranitar, Gengar, Alakazam and most Salamences. I may have Salamence, Gliscor and Lucario with physical attacks that can do heavy damage to Blissey, but Scizor is the only one who can take potential status attacks and still deal with it and Cresselia. Having a trapper on this team is also welcomed because my team is otherwise really weak to foes such as Life Orb Latias, etcetera. The reason I wanted to go with the bulkier version of Choice Band Scizor is simply because I needed to be able to take the odd physical attack and more special attacks from Salamence and Latias' Draco Meteor.

Bullet Punch allows me to have a useful revenge killer to threats such as Salamence, Tyranitar, Gengar and Alakazam; maybe the odd Flygon, too. A lot of people argue about what move is better: Superpower or Brick Break, first latter has no side effects to its use, but the former is stronger even with its power weakening after its first use; the Defense drop isn't always attractive, too. Anyway, I decided to opt for Superpower because it hits foes much more harder even if the Pokémon walking into it resists. Hitting incoming Scizors for high damage is also favoured because sometimes I will be reluctant to switch straight to Heatran until I have forced my foe into using a resisted move. U-turn is for my second, obvious STAB which allows Scizor to take the role as primary scouter for me team; in tandem with Pursuit, Scizor can easily trap foes and either U-turn on them if they expect a Pursuit or Pursuit if they can't afford to lose the Pokémon later in the game. I will always U-turn on foes such as Blissey and Cresselia first, however, because they usually have a trapper of their own, like Magnezone, to protect them.
EVs & Nature:

The EVs allow me to switch into Draco Meteor from a Life Orb Latias and Salamence, and KOes the former with either Pursuit on the switch or U-turn; Salamence is hit by Bullet Punch and so are foes such as Tyranitar. The EVs provide physical bulk, to an extent, as I needed to be able to switch into Outrages much more easier and Earthquakes from Hippowdon or even Swampert. The EVs also also allow Scizor to OHKO most Gengar, 2HKO most Latias, and do a minimum of 55% on Salamences for revenge killing purposes. The EVs may seem wierd, but the bulk they provide is invaluable. Bulky Water-types such as Vaporeon and Suicune do about ~30% so they can be switched into easier just in case I am wary about switching to Latias due to trapping.
Other Options

Scizor
vs
Metagross; which is the best trapper?

Scizor was the best choice of trapper for this team because it does not share the same Ground-type weakness with Heatran and Lucario, thus I have little more to fear than I would with Metagross. With a trapper, it is always good to have an alternate method of damaging a Pokémon that I want to get rid of - take Celebi, for example: it may carry Reflect and therefore won't need to worry about getting Pursuited, therefore, if it was Metagross, it would have to switch out then in again, but with Scizor, I can use its STAB U-turn to damage Celebi or any Pokémon that may switch in, scouting my foe and giving me the upper-hand; even better if my foe has a Magnezone on their team. Not only this, but Scizor generally has the better use of Bullet Punch and Pursuit as their base damage is much greater due to Technician meaning I can hurt fleeing foes harder and hit foes such as Flygon and Salamence harder without needing a boost to revenge kill them.

Scizor
vs
Tyranitar; trappers; Round 2

Tyranitar was my second, and last candidate to act as trapper after Scizor became the dominant choice against Metagross. Now, Tyranitar looks all well and good on paper, but, to be honest, it isn't really the best addition to the team because of its shared Fighting and Ground-type weakness with Heatran and Lucario. It also cannot revenge kill effectively and it is hit hard by Water-type attacks - I only have one Pokémon that can switch into all types of Water-type attacks, and that is Latias - I have to make sure that my opponent's trapper is eliminated before I send it out. Furthermore, Tyranitar would increase my weakness to foes such as Metagross and Mixed Salamence. Scizor can switch into their odd moves and revenge kill the latter. Scizor and Lucario help with my revenge killing scenario between the two against foes such as Infernape who may get left open if I miss play Latias. Mamoswine plays into the same situation, but Scizor can OHKO it straight away with Bullet Punch, while Tyranitar falls.

Scizor is named after Tab-batha; the male-woman. He was a contributor with the construction of this team, and without his cheerleading spirit, I wouldn't be writing this - thanks tab. =]

-----

@

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf *** Saint Veronika
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
Timid Nature [+Speed, -Attack]
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
Set Analysis

Latias acts as my Choice Scarfed Pokémon and therefore, it acts as my revenge killer to a myriad of threats such as Life Orb Starmie, Zapdos, Heatran, and so on. Without Latias useful resistances, awesome Special Defense, and thus the ability to deal with foes such as Rotom-A, who Gliscor cannot touch, I very much doubt this team could function as effectively as it does without even more problems with certain threats such as the aforementioned threats. Thanks to Latias' awesome Speed and defenses, it serves as my main answer to various themed-teams such as Rain Dance teams and Sunny Day teams -- these teams usually fall short of outspeeding Latias unless, for the former, they have a positive natured Pokémon with a base Speed that is higher than Latias', or they have a Pokémon with an ability that doubles Speed in weather changing conditions (such as Jolly Kingdra in the Rain thanks to Swift Swim). Again, without Latias being able to switch into these types of teams, I would almost certainly fall without much effort on the part of my opponent. You may also notice that my team is weak to Gyarados with Dragon Dance -- Latias is my only answer to it -- as Latias can outspeed neutral natured Gyarados' who (somehow) reach +2, Latias is a reliable counter; however, I must be very wary of opponents who may carry a potential trapper, so I must play around this somehow or another. As I have already briefly mentioned, Latias is very susceptible to Pursuit users, because of this, it means that when Latias has done its job and my opponent's team has been weakened, I can sacrifice Latias, allowing Lucario to have an open path to set up and sweep. That is the beauty of Pursuit-bait.

When I initially thought up of the idea of using Choice Scarf Latias, I immediately wanted to use the following set: Draco Meteor / Surf / Thunderbolt / Dragon Pulse - the reasoning for this was quite simple: I didn't like taking risks with Draco Meteor when it came to finishing a game with Latias vs Salamence, etc. This was soon found to put me at a disadvantage because Pokémon such as CurseLax and CroCune used this as the opportunity to set up on me and sweep me after two or so Curses / Calm Minds, respectively. Being able to lock them into one move allowed me to use that as an opportunity to set up or force my opponents into a predictable switch, putting me in the driver's seat of the match. Thunderbolt was an obligatory move to his Pokémon such as Suicune, Vaporeon, Gyarados, and Starmie for super effective. In the same vein, Draco Meteor was deemed the superior choice of STAB move compared to any other Dragon-type move because of the fact that Latias lacks the required power to allow Dragon Pulse to hit those crucial OHKOes and 2HKOes, both of which I require at crucial times, especially on Pokémon such as Zapdos. I just wish that the accuracy was better, and therefore I have a better check to Bulky Dragon Dancers such as Dragonite and Salamence -- bulky variants of Salamence / Dragonite are not usually 2HKOed by Scizor's Bullet Punch, meaning relying on revenge killing is not an option. Surf is probably the best move when it comes to hitting weakened Tyranitars, Gliscors under Sand Veil, Rotom-A (as I don't want to waste Draco Meteor's PP), and Choice Scarf Heatran, another Pokémon that can cause a bit of trouble and cause for concern when strategising any move.
Other Options

Though it seems that Latias was a natural choice for this team, it is not exactly the truth; a lot of other options were tested during the time in which I had to create this team. All had their individual traits that benefited the team in various ways in terms of resistances, offensive traits, and ability to ease Lucario's potential set up. Here were the difference situations I had to confront when looking for a revenge killer. The following was my minimal criteria in which a Pokémon should make at least 75% of the criteria:
  • A Pokémon should be able to outspeed the standard Adamant / Modest Rain Dancing Kingdra, possibly resisting one of its STAB moves.
  • It can outpace Adamant Salamence and has resistances / immunity to one of its commonly used moves.
  • The Pokémon should be able to resist or have an immunity to Electric-type attacks to better switch into certain hits, especially from Zapdos.
  • It can walk into one, or preferably more, attacks from most variatants of Heatran -- notably Choice Scarf Heatran.
  • The Pokémon isn't fragile; it can take a hit from a multitude of foes regardless of type-pairings.
Latias
vs
Flygon; revenge killers; Round One.

My initial thoughts when I was creating this team were "Flygon makes a good revenge killer", and this is certainly true indeed. With average Speed and Attack, Flygon could deal with most foes -- access to STAB Outrage was a bonus, too, being on the physical side of the attacking spectrum. Flygon had decent resistances and it had an immunity to Electric-type attacks, meaning it had an immunity to Thunder Wave (if you haven't noticed already, I have no proper status absorber). Though Flygon had these traits, it really lacked the defenses to take certain super effective hits as it was that I really could have benefited from due to my team's lack of "proper" defense. One other thing that turned me off from selecting Flygon was the fact that it couldn't actually switch into foes like Kingdra / Ludicolo in Rain, Agility + SubPetaya Empoleon, and it lacked the Speed to outpace them -- this really turned me off as it made me instantly weak to Rain Dance teams, and as they are common, this was not acceptable. Flygon also added to the 4x weakness to Ice-type moves, shared by Gliscor and Salamence alike. Latias could do all these things that I needed, and, as an added bonus, it could outspeed Adamant Salamence and Gyarados up to +2 boosts. Aside from this, Latias also proved useful to benefit Lucario in late game as it acted as Pursuit-bait to Pokémon like Tyranitar and Scizor. Flygon also lacked the ability to stop Calm Mind Suicune (etc) from setting up, whereas Latias can cripple them severely with Trick, therefore Flygon was rulled out over Latias.

Latias
vs
Rotom-W; revenge killers; Round 2

This lead me to my second possible choice of revenge killer to compare against Latias: Rotom-W. The reason I highlighted Rotom-W out of all the other Rotom-Appliances was because it was the only Pokémon I had that could possibly switch into Infernape's Close Combat and revenge kill it, though this was unreliable because Rotom-W was unable to work well after being hit by Infernape's Fire Blast. Both Pokémon were very similar when it came to jobs, resistances, and immunities: both could act as Pursuit-bait, they both resist Electric-type attacks, they both have decent attacking stats and good Speed. Unfortunately, Rotom-W lacked the ability to deal with Life Orb Zapdos effectively and also Infernape, it also didn't hit a reliable enough Speed stat to outpace those threats that were aforementioned in the required elements of my "revenge killer". Though Rotom-W did have access to Trick, it would be unable to stay in on those foes such as Suicune and Snorlax once they each have a Calm Mind or Curse, respectively. Latias' Fire-type resistance is also a great asset to the team because of the fact that I would otherwise still have trouble with Pokémon such as Choice Scarf Heatran, especially because it is an unreliable strategy to switch in my own, slower Heatran into these opposing ones because any good opposing player could potentially "predict" that nature of switch and remove Heatran from the game. Because of Salamence's lack of sufficient Special Defense, and its weakness to Stealth Rock, it is not a reliable switch / counter to Heatran.
EVs & Nature:

The EVs are your bog standard EVs for an offensive Pokémon: by maximizing Special Attack, Latias can hit as hard as possible given its nature, Timid. The random Defense EVs were put there because it was the only other useful stat I could find it suitable for as its Special Defense is already very high compared to its Defense stat. A Timid Nature + 252 Spe EVs means that Latias can outspeed most Adamant Gyarados and Salamence at +2 maximum -- it generally outpaces all other Choice Scarfed Pokémon that fail to reach a base Speed of 110. Thanks to Latias' Speed, I can also revenge kill those Agility SubPetaya Empoleons that may set up on Scizor's Bullet Punch. As aforementioned, I outspeed most common Pokémon that run a neutral nature on Rain Dance and Sunny Day teams, meaning I am most completely swept -- Latias' typing and defenses only makes this a more favoured factor. Not using a Modest nature, however, makes Latias incapable of hitting foes so much harder, especially because it lacks the boosts that Choice Specs and/or Life Orb present to it.

Latias is named after the song, by Billy Talent, "Saint Veronika" -- this is one of my favourite songs from their most recent album, and in general, also. As Latias is a life-saver to this team at many stages throughout a match, the title "Saint" only seems fitting.

-----

@

Heatran (F) @ Life Orb *** Mint Royale
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
Timid Nature [+Speed, -Attack]
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Grass
- Taunt
Set Analysis

Heatran; well, to be more specific, Taunt Life Orb Heatran – the ultimate stall-breaker – the most important member of this team, in its own right, of course. The destructive force that Heatran imposes upon foes is mind-boggling. Before I had written the analysis, I would never had imagine using a set that wasn’t carrying Choice Scarf due to its revenge killing qualities – fantastic, yes, though Life Orb Heatran surpasses this with its strength and its efficiency was definitely promising during the testing phase. People often question the ability Heatran has to destroy opponents because of its slow Speed stat, but the fact of the matter is that there is no Pokémon, bar Blissey, that can switch-in on Heatran without getting 2HKOed from its Fire Blast which is remarkable, and one would think that it is of “Uber proportions” – its STAB Fire Blast is certainly a danger to most.

Heatran acts as my check to Pokémon such as Will-O-Wisp Dusknoir/Spiritomb, Defensive Rotom-A, Scizor, and other Pokémon that I cannot be bothered to list. Hidden Power Grass hits Swampert for the OHKO, as well as hitting other bulky Water-types for the same damage as Hidden Power Electric. One may ask, however, ‘Why use Hidden Power Grass over Hidden Power Electric just for Swampert?’ – simple: though Gyarados is a more prominent threat, most common variants such as the offensive Gyarados are taking approximately 37% from Fire Blast on the switch, meaning, with Stealth Rock factored, I can hit it again, thus removing it from the game. Earth Power, naturally, complements Fire Blast as it removes opposing Fire-types and Heatrans who otherwise attempt to ‘cushion’ the hit, as it were.
Taunt

Taunt, however, is the definition of this set; it is what makes Heatran so threatening towards the opposition. Especially stall teams. Taunt absolutely shuts down Blissey that don’t carry Seismic Toss.
  • It shuts down stall RestTalkers
  • Most spikers cannot switch into Heatran and get shut down anyway.
  • Taunt prevents recovery, meaning no stall; the use of stats moves and stat modifiers / screens are also negated.
  • Trick is rendered useless.
Taunt is an unbelievably useful move but why use it over Explosion? Well, Explosion is generally used to remove Pokémon such as Gyarados, Flygon, Salamence, and Blissey – the first three listed Pokémon are 2HKOed by Fire Blast after Stealth Rock, where as the Defensively-orientated Blissey take about 32% from Fire Blast – it can’t fight back either without Hidden Power Ground (lol) or Seismic Toss. ‘But how does Taunt help my team, and, in particular, my two primary sweepers: Salamence and Lucario?’ – again, simple; Taunt prevents Pokémon from crippling these Pokémon as they sweep or set-up on opposing Pokémon. Let’s use Blissey as an example of a Pokémon that is crushed by Taunt: If it has Ice Beam + Thunder Wave, it is a risky thing for me to switch-in on without being severely damaged by paralysis. Ice Beam is left on Taunted Blissey, making it set-up fodder for my Lucario; the same situation for Salamence if Blissey has Seismic Toss. Heatran can obviously stay in on Flamethrower users to obtain a Flash Fire boost. Furthermore, with the utilization of Taunt, this Heatran is the best counter to Torment Heatran who only carries Lava Plume as an attacking move. ^___^
EVs & Nature:

The EVs are very generic; maximizing Heatran’s strong attacking power and allowing it to outpace all Pokémon that do not yield more than 278 Speed; Pokémon such as Breloom and Kingdra – both annoying Pokémon – OHKOing with Fire Blast and Taunting both Pokémon respectively.
Damage Calculations:

For those who are picky about damage calculations that can attest for Heatran’s strong attacking power, here are the top ten calculations that are currently relevant to Heatran’s common switch-ins.

Life Orb Fire Blast vs 252 HP / 252 Def Bold Blissey: 27.73% - 32.77%
Life Orb Fire Blast vs 0 HP / 0 SpD Adamant Gyarados: 38.37% - 45.32%
Life Orb Fire Blast vs 0 HP / 0 SpD Naive Salamence: 51.66% - 60.73%
Life Orb Fire Blast vs 4 HP / 0 SpD Jolly/Adamant Flygon: 50.66% - 59.60%
Life Orb Fire Blast vs 0 HP / 4 SpD Timid Starmie: 55.17% - 65.52%
Life Orb Fire Blast vs 136 HP / 0 SpD Timid Starmie: 49.49% - 58.31%
Life Orb Fire Blast vs 252 HP / 136 SpD Bold Rotom-A: 69.41% - 82.24%
Life Orb Fire Blast vs 252 HP / 0 SpD Bold Rotom-A: 87.27% - 102.91%
Life Orb Hidden Power Grass vs 252 HP / 0 SpD Bold Vaporeon: 44.83% - 53.02%
Life Orb Hidden Power Grass vs 252 HP / 0 SpD Bold Suicune: 44.06% - 51.98%

-----

@

Salamence (M) @ Life Orb *** House
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 16 Atk | 240 SpA | 252 Spe
Naive Nature [+Speed, -Special Defense]
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Brick Break
- Roost
Set Analysis
Old MixMence is the most dangerous variant of Salamence in the current metagame and one of the most dangerous Pokémon of all time. I originally ran the Mixed Dragon Dancer set consisting of Dragon Dance / Draco Meteor / Earthquake / Outrage, but I just couldn’t use Salamence when it still had to fight against hits Stealth Rock weakness – I originally had a Rapid Spinner, however, in Starmie > Gliscor, but the Stealth Rock weakness and the weakness to Lucario / Tyranitar was just unbelievable, so, thanks to a suggestion for Joshe / Schaft, I decided to test out the Old MixMence as it carried Roost. It worked like a charm even though I was originally reluctant to use it. Thanks to Roost, I could reinstate Gliscor without the need of a Rapid Spinner. I could also pose an even bigger threat to stall teams, who would rely on Stealth Rock + other forms of residual damage in the form of Life Orb and sandstorm, as this was no longer a problem for Salamence in particular.

Draco Meteor is a destructive move. So destructive, that I believe it to be the best attacking move in the entire game – so much damage is caused by the one move, even to Steel-types, the only resistors in the game, struggle to handle its might. Brick Break allows me to hit Blissey for the 2HKO, OHKO Lucario after Stealth Rock, in most situations (as Fire Blast’s accuracy could cost me the game if it was ever to fail me); it also allowed me to break Breloom’s Substitute without relying on Fire Blast’s poor accuracy to hit consecutively. It also OHKOed the most common variants of Tyranitar if they bared Fire Blast and Ice Beam (I would have to switch-in on the Fire Blast, obviously), after Stealth Rock. The inaccurate Fire Blast of Salamence puts Steel-types in further damage without having to worry about Brick Break or Draco Meteor’s awesome power; they would be forced into staying in or dying. I usually run Fire Blast when an obvious Draco Meteor is seen by my opponents, so I can remove their Steel-type ‘cushion’, then enabling Salamence to fire off Draco Meteor to finish off whatever decides to stay in or come in. Roost, again, is what makes this set fantastic – recovering from any incurred residual damage or damage of the sort. – it goes over Outrage – being stuck into one move for 2-3 turns was very unreliable and made Salamence vulnerable to being checked or being set-up upon.
EVs & Nature:

The EVs allow me to maximize Salamence’s Speed potential and enable me to tie with all other Pokémon that yield a positive base 100 Speed stat (with maximum EV investment, obviously), such as physical-based mixed Jirachi, while outpacing every other Pokémon that cannot hit a 328 Speed stat at minimum, of course. 240 SpA makes Draco Meteor as threatening as I have been saying this whole time. The remaining 16 Attack EVs is what allows Brick Break to break Breloom’s Substitute, 2HKO Heatran and Blissey, and OHKO Tyranitar, after Stealth Rock damage is factored into the equation. The Naive nature is used so I do not lose any stat points in my attacking stats, Speed, or Defense – the latter so I can take hits from Lucario and a Bullet Punch from Scizor after Stealth Rock, in particular. There aren’t many special attacks that Salamence is supposed / able to take anyway, so it would be pointless decreasing another stat for something as useless as that.
Damage Calculations:

For the benefit of those who like numbers to justify a Pokémon’s power –again- here are some damage calculations against ten Pokémon that Salamence is likely to encounter in battle, mainly its use of Draco Meteor.

Life Orb Draco Meteor vs 252 HP / 0 SpD Impish Hippowdon: 81.67% - 96.43%
Life Orb Draco Meteor vs 252 HP / 0 SpD Impish Gliscor: 93.50% - 110.45%
Life Orb Draco Meteor vs 252 HP / 0 SpD Relaxed Swampert: 71.29% - 83.91%
Life Orb Draco Meteor vs 252 HP / 0 SpD Adamant Scizor (Common Steel-type switch-in): 45.64% - 54.07%
Life Orb Draco Meteor vs 252 HP / 0 SpD Bold Zapdos: 75.00% - 88.28%
Life Orb Draco Meteor vs 252 HP / 0 SpD Bold Suicune: 57.43% - 67.82%
Life Orb Brick Break vs 252 HP / 0 Def Adamant Tyranitar: 84.16% - 100.00%
Life Orb Brick Break vs 252 HP / 252 Def Bold Blissey: 46.78% - 55.18%
Life Orb Fire Blast vs 252 HP / 0 SpD Bold Celebi: 73.76% - 87.13%
Life Orb Fire Blast vs 252 HP / 80 SpD Sassy Bronzong: 66.27% - 78.11%

-----

@

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb *** The Doctor
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk | 4 Def | 252 Spe
Adamant Nature [+Attack, -Special Attack]
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Crunch
- Swords Dance
Set Analysis

Lucario is my main sweeper on this team, and heck, is it a good one at that! Thanks to its 4x resistance to Pursuit, it can easily set-up after Latias has been sacrificed to either Tyranitar or Scizor, and commence sweeping with its awesome power. Not much can be said about this said, so I'm not going to bother attempting to say much. This is probably the most destructive Pokémon in the game, especially in late-game situations -- it has been established as such, but people still don't prepare for it as much as they should, to be honest -- at their own cost, of course. The whole point of the team was to overwhelm the opponent to a situation in which I would be left able to use Lucario to set-up and sweep the rest of my opponents team. Paired with Salamence in particular, its typing is balanced out excellently, and the attacking power of special attacks and Lucario's physical attacks make enable it to achieve excellent synergy with many-a-Pokémon on this team.

Close Combat is a STRONG move indeed. Even Pokémon that resist the attack have problems with taking it effectively, often causing opponents to carry Ghost-type Pokémon to do so instead. The obligatory STAB is what makes this attack, plus Lucario, special as it has the Base Power equalled to that of Heatran's Fire Blast: 180, and with similar attacking power on both sides of the attacking spectrum, it isn't something to be overlooked after physical foes have been annihilated by Heatran and co. ExtremeSpeed is another obligatory move, allowing me to revenge kill a lot of foes that I could do before with Scizor's Bullet Punch; not only that, I can generally hit faster foes for heavy damage, meaning I don't have to switch-out and attempt tp deal with it separately, ruining that opportunity to surprise my opponent. Now, Crunch vs Ice Punch; well, I have always found Crunch to be better as it OHKOes all major Ghost-type switch-ins that may attempt to shut down Lucario's sweep, but that leaves me open to Gliscor and Salamence -- or does it? Well, Ice Punch is more or less useless (in my opinion) in this metagame because of the abundance of Gliscors and Salamences that actually carry enough Speed that can out-do any attempt Lucario could possibly have of outpacing them and OHKOing with Ice Punch. Besides, I have checks for both Pokémon -- two Pokémon that are the minority compared to the amount of Ghost-types, and Cresselia, that attempt to check Lucario.

EVs & Nature:

Nothing too complexed here. Adamant nature + 252 Atk EVs means that I can absolutely abuse Lucario's strength to the max without having to rely on obligatory prior damage on all opposing Pokémon. Max Speed outpaces all Pokémon that yield less than 279 Speed -- a Speed stat that Lucario hits currently. The remaining 4 EVs are just dumped into Defense.
Damage Calculations:

This, again, is for those who like some sort of portrayal of the damage Pokémon can do; like Heatran and Salamence before, here are some damage calculations to do exactly that:

Close Combat vs. max HP / Def Skarmory 84.4% - 99.7%
Close Combat vs. max HP / Def Bronzong: 95.2% - 100% (67% chance to OHKO)
Close Combat vs. max HP / Def Hippowdon: 75.7% - 89.3%
Close Combat vs. max HP / Def Forretress: 79.7% - 93.8%
Close Combat vs. max HP / Def Donphan: 82.0% - 96.9%
Crunch vs. max HP / Def Cresselia: 63.5% - 74.8%
Crunch vs. max HP Cresselia: 85.1% - 100% (2.6% chance to OHKO)
Crunch vs. max HP / Def Dusknoir: 88.4% - 100% (21% chance to OHKO)
Crunch vs. max HP / Def Celebi: 78.7% - 93.1%
Crunch vs. max HP / Def Rotom - Appliance: 100%

Conclusion

Yeah, so that's it. Though it seems like a glorified team, it actually works well but has a lot of simple problems; I wouldn't be posting this RMT unless I honestly wanted you to Rate my team. I stopped playing this team back in June when I hit my peak and started to get haxed; that's why you don't see it in action anymore, or, for those who have (such as Infinity and pokeboss9), you probably won't rememeber it.

I hope you've enjoyed reading this (though I haven't re-read it since I wrote it, lol). I would just like to say thanks to ReyScarface who did the calculations for Heatran and Salamence for me as I, to be honest, couldn't be bothered to do so. Threat list up next!

vashta

Threat List
-------------------------
  • Blue indicates neutrality; it is a relatively easy Pokémon to handle.
  • Orange indicates that the Pokémon does cause switching and stimulates more thought processes of possible scenarios than usual.
  • Red indicates a cause for serious concern as it has the ability to sweep / cause damage to half of my team.
Offensive Threats
| Aerodactyl :
  • Leads: this thing outspeeds everything on my team except Latias. The only way I can effectively stop it without making myself prone to trappers such as Tyranitar, Scizor, etcetera is if I U-turn with Gliscor to break its Focus Sash, and go to Scizor; they will assume I will Bullet Punch, nullifying their attempts to set-up Stealth Rock -- if this is the case, they could most likely switch to Magnezone or Heatran, in which I use Superpower to be safe.
  • Sweepers: These are more or less non-existent now due to the abundance of Bullet Punch from Scizor. In which case, Scizor can switch into any moves that it resists and Bullet Punch them. Otherwise, Latias is happy to switch into Earthquake or Fire Fang (depending on how much I still need it), and deal with it from there. Not much of a problem in general.
| Alakazam :
  • Encore Leads: Yeah, Gliscor can't really do anything bar Stealth Rock and let it set up, or U-turn out to Scizor who will Bullet Punch / U-turn on its ass. It really isn't problematic thanks to its frailty. I often tend to U-turn instead of Stealth Rock, however -- just to be safe.
  • Generic Sweeper: Scizor is my main answer to this as it can easily switch into its Psychic / Shadow Ball; depending on the item it is carrying, I will use Bullet Punch, U-turn, or Pusuit - this is also dependant on what Alakazam's teammates are. Again, not a major problem as Latias can also check it, and, if at low-enough health, Lucario's ExtremeSpeed can deal with it if necessary.
| Azelf :
  • Leads: Azelf is the real reason for which I go with U-turn > Taunt -- I cannot let it set up and get one step ahead of me at the same time. I will usually always use U-turn to scout any Trick Scarfers or Taunts. If my opponent has Taunt then I know it also carries Psychic, Explosion, and Stealth Rock -- in which case I will go to Scizor and Pusuit as they will expect Bullet Punch; however, if they Stealth Rock straight away, I know that they use Psychic, Explosion, and Fire Blast as well -- in which case, I will U-turn to Scizor who will Bullet Punch as opposing Azelfs expect Pursuit as they think they can bluff me and Fire Blast my ass.
  • Sweepers: Hmm, I usually have to switch around and bluff certain moves. I will often force them to use any move that Latias can switch into so I can revenge kill it -- it is a pity that Scizor cannot do more than 70% or so on Azelf, and OHKO would have been nice; although, this is the case with Scizor, it may have previously been reduced to that amount of HP left, in which case I am happy to switch into Psychic and Bullet Punch its ass.
| Breloom :
  • Leads: I have no status absorber on my team, and as every other Pokémon on my team can cover Pokémon that Gliscor does (to a risky extent), so Gliscor is the unfortunate victim of Spore. I'll switch to Heatran or Salamence at this point.
  • Substitute users: Hmm. Gliscor, again, as to take Spore, or some other Pokémon that is too weak to make any major impact in the game. I will then most likely go to Salamence to Intimidate Breloom and break its Substitute with Brick Break, then finish it off with Fire Blast.
| Dragonite :
  • Dragon Dance: Hmm, I can easily switch into any move that isn't Outrage or Dragon Claw with Latias, or Salamence if it doesn't Dragon Dance, then outpace it and OHKO with Draco Meteor. If I have lost both of those two Pokémon, priority is my only answer with Scizor's Bullet Punch and Lucario's ExtremeSpeed.
  • Heal Bell + Dragon Dance: Yeah, same situation as before really as I don't have any status absorbers to cause Dragonite the need to use Heal Bell...
| Dugtrio :
  • Choice Band / Scarf: This thing still exists in OU? As long as Heatran isn't in, I can deal with it with no problem. Gliscor can spam Earthquake, Latias can avoid Night Slash and Surf it, and Salamence can Fire Blast / Draco Meteor its ass. Lucario's ExtremeSpeed (if trapped) OHKOes Dugtrio after Stealth Rock most of the time.
| Electivire :
  • Generic Sweeper: Hmm, if it has got a Motor Drive boost off of Latias then I have to go straight to Heatran (who resists Hidden Power Ice / Ice Punch) and then switch back to Latias as they use Cross Chop / Earthquake. Draco Meteor is my only hope at this point without having to resort to priority through Scizor and Lucario.
| Empoleon :
  • Lead: Gliscor will Earthquake these as they often believe that I will switch out anyway, then go to any Pokémon that is fast -- most likely Salamence.
  • SubPetaya: It will try and set up on my Latias that is trapped on Surf and use Agility; at this point I will switch to Scizor and Superpower until he can't use Substitute any more, where he will use Surf / Hydro Pump -- I will switch to Latias and outpace Empoleon, KOing it with Thunderbolt.
  • Tank: Anything that can hit it for super effective without taking damage beforehand; Scizor and Lucario are my best bets in this case.
| Flygon :
  • Choiced users: If it's Choice Banded, I can usually just use Salamence to switch into anything but Stone Edge or Outrage. Choice Scarf can be revenge killed by Latias' Draco Meteor. Scizor makes a decent check as Bullet Punch 2HKOes Flygon.
| Gengar :
  • Substitute: Hmm I will usually have to break its Substitute with Latias then go to Scizor, who resists Shadow Ball, and Bullet Punch its ass as most Gengars with Substitute carry Hidden Power Fire.
  • Life Orb: Latias can revenge kill with Draco Meteor, if it switches into anything but Shadow Ball, whereas Scizor can switch into Shadow Ball and either Bullet Punch or Pursuit it.
  • Choiced user: If Scizor can switch into it, then it will Pursuit its ass as these can be trouble at times. If Latias can, again, switch into anything that isn't Shadow Ball, then it will Draco Meteor its ass.
| Gyarados :
  • Dragon Dance: If this thing has a Dragon Dance, I could be in some real shit, especially if Latias is out of the picture; otherwise, Latias can outpace all Adamant Gyarados up to +2 and Thunderbolt its ass. If Latias is out of the picture, then I am forced to use Salamence's Intimidate + Lucarios resistances to work around Gyarados until I can fool the user into Waterfalling Salamence as I Draco Meteor its ass. A real problem if it is used correctly.
  • RestTalker: Easy; Salamence resists Waterfall and can Draco Meteor it, and Latias can Thunderbolt it to hell. Not much of a problem to be honest.
| Heatran :
  • Choice Scarf: Latias is my primary check to this thanks to its great defenses and access to Surf which generally 2HKOes Heatran. I can play risky, however, and switch my own Heatran into opposing Heatran's Fire Blast, unfortunately, due to the abundance of these sorts of switches, my opponent will generally Earth Power, especially if it has switched into my Scizor in the first place.
  • Choice Specs: Latias can 2HKO with Surf, Salamence can switch into Earth Power and 2HKO with Brick Break, and Lucario can make the switch-in on something like Hidden Power Grass and go up, close, and personal with Close Combat.
  • Life Orb: Again, Latias is my primary switch-in to this thing as it 2HKOes with Surf. Salamence can remove it if it can switch-in on Earth Power, providing it is at low health, and Lucario can switch-in on Taunt or Hidden Power Grass then either force the switch or go Close Combat on it.
  • SubToxic: Ugh, such an annoying Pokémon if it gets a Substitute up; I am forced to allow Latias to get poisoned. :( If it doesn't have its Substitute up, then anything can attempt to revenge kill it depending on its remaining health.
  • Substitute + Torment: Easy peasy; my own Heatran can switch-in on this and Taunt its ass. I can then go to Latias and Surf its ass until it dies. ^___^
| Heracross :
  • Choice users: Salamence can switch-in on most variants and cushion most hits, bar Stone Edge, thanks to Intimidate, and defeat it with Fire Blast. Gliscor can stall out Heracross with Earthquake and Roost, and Lucario can set-up on Stone Edge, anyway -- not much of a problem.
| Infernape :
  • Special-based Mix: Latias is my main check for this thing, otherwise, I have to play around it and try to defeat it with priority from Scizor and Lucario.
  • Physical-based Mix: Again, Latias is my main switch-in to this thing, however, as it loses Hidden Power Ice in general, Salamence makes a decent secondary switch-in to this variant of Infernape, Roosts off damage, and Draco Meteors its ass back from whence it came.
  • Choiced Mix: If Latias mis-switches into repeated U-turns, then I can be screwed and will need to use Salamence as a secondary check, providing it lacks Hidden Power Ice. Priority is my best bet if all else fails.
  • Lead: This can be a real problem as I hate having to switch Latias into the came too early, making it susceptible to trappers. I guess Salamence can switch into this, but I have to be wary of those Hidden Power Ice carriers. Problematic at times, unfortunately.
  • Nasty Plot: Latias is my main switch into this thing, however, if it does set up without Latias, and it has Vacuum Wave (of all the moves! =[ ), I could fall as priority is more or less rendered useless.
| Jirachi :
  • Choiced users: These things end up being leads in general, so Gliscor will always Earthquake first as they look for Stealth Rock as a starting point for them set-up. They are forced to switch -- I'll just set-up later. In general, though, Heatran can switch-into all of its attacks, bar Hidden Power Ground (lol) and Fire Blast / Earth Power its ass back to the stars.
  • Body Slam: Ugh, I hate having to play around this as nothing can actually switch in without being at risk to possible paralysis. Gliscor is usually the initial switch-in dependant on its possible uses after I have generally scouted my opponents team. Otherwise, it is annoying. Scizor can U-turn continuously :S
  • Calm Mind: Gliscor can switch-in on Thunderbolt and outpace most Calm Minders and spam Earthquake on it. Heatran is another possible switch, but I hate having to risk possible paralysis from Thunderbolt. :x
| Jolteon :
  • Choice Specs: Latias resists Thunderbolt and can take the occasional Hidden Power Ice/Shadow Ball and attempt to defeat it with Draco Meteor. With that said, however, Gliscor can easily switch into Thunderbolt and Earthquake it to death. If all fails, Heatran has viable defenses and can take the odd hit (if at good health) and OHKO with Fire Blast or Earth Power. Priority is useful; Bullet Punch and ExtremeSpeed from Scizor and Lucario, respectively, defeats Jolteon -- I try to avoid this situation.
  • Life Orb: this variant is in the same boat as the others in terms of what it can do against my team, although Gliscor is rendered incapable of switching in to more than Thunderbolt as Jolteon can opt to use Hidden Power Ice in the same play.
| Kingdra :
  • Dragon Dance: hmm, Latias is my best switch into this as it can outpace it and Draco Meteor it to hell. If it has Substitute up, I am more or less forced to sacrifice something in order to let Latias switch-in freely. If I have lost Latias before, I rely on priority + resistances to play around Kingdra -- a problematic Pokémon if I am not careful.
  • Rain Dance: Latias can outpace the most common versions thanks to Choice Scarf and kill it with Draco Meteor. If I lose Latias, this can more or less 6-0 me unless I play around it for 8 turns until the rain wares off. Priority is possibly my best way of dealing with it in this case, but I can sometimes find myself unable to beat it still.
| Latias :
  • Choice user: Scizor is my main switch-in as it is built to take hits from this thing. To prevent any major problems, I will Pursuit most of the times. If I have lost Scizor, however, I must rely on either revenge killing with my own Latias, or ExtremeSpeed it with Lucario when its within the KO range.
  • Calm Mind: Calm Minders also fall to Scizor, but I must be careful of Hidden Power Fire, so I will Bullet Punch always to make sure Scizor doesn't die in vein; Latias fails to OHKO with Draco Meteor at +1, and Lucario's ExtremeSpeed fails to OHKO also. Hidden Power Fire versions are very bitchy.
  • Life Orb: Needs more Scizor to Pursuit it after it is at -2 from Draco Meteor. Lucario can revenge kill when Latias is within KO range, and my own Latias can outpace and OHKO with Draco Meteor... assuming it decides to hit. u_u
  • Dual Screen / Wish: Scizor isn't hit for significant damage intake by this thing so it can easily OHKO with U-turn or Pursuit if it decides to switch.
| Lucario :
  • Swords Dance: Gliscor does not take bullshit from this motherfucker, and will outpace this fool and Earthquake it to kingdom come. If that's not enough, Salamence can outpace it and take the odd hit, thanks to Intimidate, only to set it alight with Fire Blast, or break it to bits with Brick Break.
  • Choice Specs: Gliscor and Salamence are in the same boats -- if they can avoid Hidden Power Ice or anything that isn't Aura Sphere, they're safe... somewhat. They can both outpace and defeat it with Earthquake and Fire Blast / Brick Break, respectively.
|Machamp :
  • Sub + 3 attacks: Man, I hate this Pokémon. Most notably because of its access to DynamicPunch. Nothing can avoid that move, therefore, I have to play around it; however, if it has a Substitute up, I am real trouble and I am forced to sacrifice something just to break its Substitute so I can attempt to defeat it with Fire Blast from Heatran or Salamence's Draco Meteor.
  • RestTalker: Heh, still has access to DynamicPunch, but Gliscor can deal with it with more ease, provided I don't get 100% confusion-backfire damage. @_@ It is much more easily stalled out by Gliscor and, therefore, I am not usually forced to make sacrifices.
| Magnezone :
  • Choice Scarf: if this thing traps one of my Steel-types in early-game, I get really annoyed, but it only really troubles Scizor and Lucario, to a certain extent. Gliscor can switch into most common attacks such as Thunderbolt and retaliate with Earthquake, whereas Heatran can switch into Hidden Power / Flash Cannon and Fire Blast its ass. Latias is also a good switch-in for Magnezone as it resists most of its common moves, bar Flash Cannon, and can defeat it with repeated Surfs.
  • Magnet Rise + Substitute: This can be dealt with by Latias as or Heatran, to a lesser extent. I have to be careful of the odd Thunder Waver, however.
| Mamoswine :
  • Endeavor Lead: An annoying bitch; Gliscor has to U-turn to Scizor in order to break a Substitute, and I then Superpower its ass just incase a possible switch to Magnezone / Heatran occurs.
  • Generic Sweeper: Scizor can switch in on most moves and Bullet Punch it away. If it is Adamant, Lucario and Heatran can switch-in on Ice-type moves directed from Mamoswine and Close Combat / Hidden Power Grass it, respectively.
| Metagross :
  • Lead: I outpace this thing and 2HKO with Earthquake to force the switch on the second attempt in which I Stealth Rock. If they're TrickScarf Leads, they are still forced out by Earthquake, preventing set up until later turns.
  • Tank: Heatran man-handles this variant alive thanks to STAB LO Fire Blast as it switches into Bullet Punch / Meteor Mash. Salamence can switch-in on Earthquake and OHKO most variants with Fire Blast, and Gliscor can outstall it with a combination of Roost and Earthquake.
  • AgiliGross: AgiliGross usually attempts to set-up on Latias, so I usually go to Heatran as it tries to Agility. Unfortunately, I am forced to switch to Latias and sacrifice it as I Trick Choice Scarf on to it as it Ice Punches or Meteor Mashes; Heatran can switch-in on these moves and Fire Blast / Earth Power accordingly.
| Porygon-Z :
  • Choiced / Generic Sweeper:This requires a switch to Heatran or a revenge killing from Latias. I guess Salamence can remove slower Porygon-Z with Draco Meteor. Don't really see these anymore, so the situation is a "spur of the moment" kinda thing. Oh, Scizor makes a fine check if it switches into any resisted attack.
| Rhyperior :
  • SU(B)PERIOR: OK, Gliscor is my best hope with this as long as it can break its Substitute before dying. From there, Scizor's Bullet Punch, Lucario's Close Combat (if Rhyperior is in KO range), Latias' Surf, or Heatran's Hidden Power Grass can deal with it. STRONG POKÉMON INDEED, THOUGH.
  • Trick Room: Can be a real bitch as I will always have to sacrifice something if it sets up on Latias' Thunderbolt; Scizor's Bullet Punch is a necessity, or Gliscor can attempt to out-stall it until Trick Room's effects are null.
| Salamence :
  • Mixed Salamence: It can usually get played around so I can revenge kill with Latias, outpace with Salamence (most versions), or kill with Scizor's Bullet Punch while Salamence is on ~60% health. It just depends on how I can lure Salamence in -- it can only really switch in on Heatran's Hidden Power / Earth Power, Gliscor, and Latias' Surf without taking considerable amount of damage.
  • Dragon Dance: heh, Latias can outpace Adamant Salamence's up to +2 and other's to +1 and revenge kill with Draco Meteor as they attempt to Dragon Claw / Outrage. Scizor's Bullet Punch is a nice reassuring method. Lucario's ExtremeSpeed can deal with it if necessary and Salamence is within its KO range. Can be a threat if it's bulky with Roost and packed with a Pursuit user to take out Latias.
| Scizor :
  • Choice Band: Heatran can switch in on anything that isn't Superpower, and can hit it hard with Fire Blast, knocking it out with the OHKO. If my opponent expects Heatran, I will go to Gliscor to cushion the possible Superpower. Salamence can do so for revenge killing purposes -- unlikely event, however.
  • Swords Dance: Heatran can switch-in on anything that is not Superpower, again, and Fire Blast it. Lucario can revenge kill if it has an Swords Dance up. Salamence's Intimidate can ware it out, but I have to watch out for Stealth Rock.
| Starmie :
  • Defensive: Scizor can trap this with ease and remove it with either U-turn or Pursuit -- either way, it isn't living for too long. ^__^ Latias can also revenge kill with Draco Meteor or Thunderbolt -- personal preference.
  • Life Orb: This is a hell-of-a bitch if Latias is removed as I am forced to revenge kill it with both Lucario and Scizor's ExtremeSpeed and Bullet Punch, respectively. I hope I can encounter it as a lead so I can bluff Latias to be a slower Pokémon so I can get rid of it with -relative- ease.
| Togekiss :
  • ParaFlinch: Scizor is my best hope, but if it gets haxed out too early, I have to hope and rely on revenge killing -- none of my Pokémon like paralysis -- I guess Heatran can stop any variant that doesn't carry Aura Sphere at the same time, though.
  • Choice Scarf Lead: Easy pickings with Heatran and Scizor who aren't particularly fussed by Air Slash and spam Fire Blast / Bullet Punch, respectively, for laughs.
  • Nasty Plot: Scizor has to try and beat it with Bullet Punch, otherwise, I have to, as with ParaFlinch, rely on revenge killing to deal with it.
| Tyranitar :
  • Choice Band: Gliscor can shrug off most attacks, Roost-off damage and Earthquake it for the 2HKO; Scizor can switch-in on Crunch and U-turn / Bullet Punch its ass from whence it came; Lucario sets up on Stone Edge / Crunch and can sweep if the opposing team is weakened well-enough.
  • Choice Scarf: This thing is such a bitch if they Ice Beam Gliscor or Flamethrower Scizor; it comes down to bluffing and revenge killing at the end of the day.
  • Dragon Dance: Scizor can switch-in on the Dragon Dance and Bullet Punch it if it has lost / doesn't carry Babiri Berry. Gliscor could ware it down with Roost+Earthquake combinations. If the worst comes down to it, Latias can Trick Choice Scarf onto it and Lucario can use that as an opportunity to set-up as it will most likely be stuck on
  • TyraniBoah: Always requires a sacrifice and some mode of revenge killing -- just depends on what I have left. :x I just gotta hope that I can Bullet Punch it and not switch-in upon it using Flamethrower.
| Weavile :
  • Lead: Easy Pokémon to handle; I will generally U-turn it as its Taunts more often than not, and go Scizor who can U-turn without the fear of it surviving by a Focus Sash and using Counter on my ass, also scouting out any possible Magnezone / Heatran switches. It isn’t really a problematic Pokémon most of the time due to its miss-use, unfortunately.
  • Generic Sweeper: Again, simple Pokémon to handle. Scizor can handle it with Bullet Punch / U-turn, but if it is out of commission, I will go to Lucario to revenge kill it with ExtremeSpeed, or go to Heatran who can OHKO with Fire Blast. If the worst comes to it, Latias can take the Ice Shard as it Draco Meteors on a revenge killing mission.
| Yanmega :
  • Lead: Not many of these are used nowadays because of Stealth Rock’s abundance in the metagame which is unfortunate. The lead Yanmega isn’t always tremendous trouble unless they bare Hypnosis – that poses an annoyance to most users anyway if it hits. Anyway, if it doesn’t, I will U-turn with Gliscor and go to my main check, Scizor, who will Bullet Punch it for the 2HKO. If it doesn’t carry Hidden Power Ground, however, Heatran acts as my primary check as it can force the switch-out or OHKO it with Fire Blast.
  • Generic Sweeper: Scizor is my main check to this Pokémon thanks to its stats and typing. Bullet Punch is a clean 2HKO here as it is never 2HKOed by any of Yanmega’s moves unless it bares Hidden Power Fire; in which case, Heatran becomes my number one check to Yanmega as it OHKOes it with Fire Blast effortlessly. Lucario’s ExtremeSpeed can revenge kill the bulkier variants as long as they are below 50%/knock-out range.

Defensive Threats

| Blissey :
  • Generic Wall: Not a problem at all most of the times as it generally switches in to Latias, whom Tricks the Choice Scarf onto it or Heatran who Taunts it, opening itself up to allowing Heatran, Lucario, or Salamence to handle Blissey depending on what moves it may have such as Flamethrower, Ice Beam, or Seismic Toss, respectively, in which is rendered a useless wall. Scizor is a useful check with access to U-turn, Superpower and Pursuit depending on the situation that I am facing.
| Bronzong :
  • Standard Wall: Heatran can switch into this easily and fire-off some Fire Blasts for the OHKO, more often than not. Gliscor and Scizor together, however, can just spam U-turns to ware it out. Secondary is Salamence’s own Fire Blast to OHKO after Bronzong has lost at least 30% damage, and Lucario’s Close Combat for the 2HKO, barring Bronzong does not have Earthquake available.
| Celebi :
  • Standard Wall: To avoid any complications that Thunder Wave may cause to Heatran, I initially go Scizor (the slower candidate) who will U-turn most of the times as Celebi either think that they can OHKO it with Hidden Power Fire (no way) or use Reflect to soften to blow. Heck, I may even go to Gliscor to take the Thunder Wave and U-turn it, causing it to lose 30-50%, and then go to Heatran/Scizor to finish it off. Salamence’s Fire Blast 2HKOes it otherwise, doing 70%~ per hit.
| Cresselia :
  • Standard Wall: Gliscor can switch-in on the Thunder Wave and U-turn to Heatran who will take the inevitable Ice Beam, then Taunt it to prevent any more paralysis threat or set-up of screens, and 2HKO it with its STAB Fire Blast. Scizor is also a good check to Cresselia thanks to its super effective, STAB U-turn, that can 2HKO most Cresselia that are Defensively-orientated.
  • Psycho Shift/Flame Orb: Latias deals with Cresselia in this case, as most do not utilize Thunder Wave. Latias is the only Pokémon that can take the Flame Orb and still continue to threaten foes thanks to its own Trick. I have to be careful from then on, however, as Cresselia can now Trick one of my own Pokémon.
| Donphan :
  • Standard Wall: Gets taken out by Heatran’s Fire Blast, which scores an easy OHKO on its ass. Scizor can spam U-turns, also. It can’t really switch into many of my Pokémon without the threat of being OHKOed; for example, it can’t switch into Salamence as its Draco Meteor is an easy OHKO, even though it may be able to take an anticipated Outrage.
| Forretress :
  • Standard Wall/Spiker: Easy to handle – no threat to this team whatsoever. With Heatran’s STAB Fire Blast and Salamence’s boosted Fire Blast, it cannot be on the field for too long, especially as it is easily OHKOed by the aforementioned Pokémon. If it doesn’t carry Earthquake, and in the absence of Salamence and Heatran, Lucario can switch-in on it and set-up accordingly, and then proceed to sweep.
| Gliscor :
  • Standard Wall/Stall-breaker: The bane of Lucario’s existence – though it isn’t a major power against this team – Salamence can easily switch into anything that isn’t Toxic or Ice Fang, then Draco Meteor its ass back from whence it came; the same goes for Latias. If the worst comes to it, and if it can outpace, Heatran’s Fire Blast can save the day with a clean OHKO – not really the idea situation, though, as many Gliscors invest heavily in Speed
  • Baton Pass: Latias can Trick those variants with screens up as it attempts to set-up, whereas those variants that haven’t, fall to Latias and Salamence’s Draco Meteors anyway. Heatran can even Taunt it from setting-up and spam Fire Blasts like no tomorrow if it fails to utilize Earthquake as most do. Again, not a dominants force as long as I have these Pokémon.
| Hippowdon :
  • Standard Wall: Hmm, as a lead, I will Stealth Rock immediately, then go to Scizor via U-turn, and continue to spam U-turn until I can find an opening for Salamence to OHKO it with Draco Meteor, or, even Heatran’s Fire Blast – both have a very good chance at OHKOing Hippowdon as long as it has taken some damage before. Most notably from Scizor’s U-turn. Latias can Trick a Choice Scarf onto it anyway…
| Skarmory :
  • Standard Wall/Spiker: Not much to say either as it is in a similar predicament as Forretress. Heatran’s STAB Fire Blast is a clean OHKO on all variants, as well as Salamence’s boosted Fire Blast. If both Pokémon are out of commission, then Latias can strike it with a super effective Thunderbolt that OHKOes most non-Specially Defensive variant, whom survives most of the time at full-health. I never give it enough chance to set-up as I don’t allow Gliscor to stand idol too much.
| Snorlax :
  • Standard Wall: Lucario has to find a way to switch-in on this thing without taking major damage or paralysis from Body Slam – once it has done this, it can Close Combat Snorlax to death. Latias’ Trick can trap it into on move, enabling me time to switch-into a good enough check to deal with it. Salamence’s Brick Break can come in handy if I predict a Snorlax switch-in on Draco Meteor / Fire Blast.
| Suicune:
  • Calm Mind Tank: This was the reason why I added Trick to Latias' moveset, initially. It is an absolute beast if it is allowed to set-up. I will generally go to Scizor who will U-turn to Latias who will switch-out again to scout any trappers or to see if Suicune would stay in or not; if it does decide to stay in, then I will switch back in and Trick a Choice Scarf onto it, but if not, then, I will have to ensure Latias' survival so I can definately Trick Choice Scarf onto it. Heatran's Hidden Power Grass is a 2HKO after Stealth Rock, and so is Salamence's Draco Meteor. If the worst comes to it, I can attempt to set-up Lucario after a Swords Dance and attempt to beat it that way with Close Combat.
| Swampert :
  • Standard Tank: As it is mostly seen as a lead, I will go and U-turn it with Gliscor and go to either Heatran (who will score the OHKO with Hidden Power Grass) or Scizor (who can just spam U-turn with Gliscor) as it repeatedly switches into Ice Beam with ease. If I get it to a low-enough HP range, I will switch Salamence in on an Earthquake and Draco Meteor it to death.
  • CursePert: Latias can Trick a Choice Scarf onto it and force it into submission that way, while Salamence can spam Draco Meteor as long as it avoids Rest; the same goes for Latias in this case. Heatran can spam Hidden Power Grass also, but I must be sure that it is within the KO range needed -- usually achieved after a U-turn has hit Swampert prior to Heatran's attack.
| Tentacruel :
  • Generic Wall: It switches into Heatran most of the time, so I just Earth Power it as it Toxic Spikes, then Earth Power it again, which will kill it -- none of my team are hit by Toxic Spikes anyway, so I'm not bothered. Latias' Thunderbolt is a clean 2HKO after Stealth Rock I would imagine, so, yeah, that works too.
| Vaporeon :
  • Generic Wall: Scizor can switch into it and spam U-turn to Latias whom Thunderbolts it for the 2HKO after U-turn; however, most of the time, I will just Trick a Choice Scarf onto it -- shutting it down completely is so beneficial -- I just have to be careful and remove any Pokémon that I may need to kill while utilizing Choice Scarf.
| Zapdos :
  • Generic Wall: Salamence can switch in on most attacks and OHKO most common variants with Draco Meteor. Heatran can Taunt it just in case it bares Thunder Wave, and hit it hard with Fire Blast, OHKOing most non-Specially Defensive variants. Latias' own Draco Meteor is a 2HKO after Stealth Rock, but Roost is a bitch after the first Draco Meteor; I have to play around in this situation. :|

| Hax:

An all-round bitch. End of.
Can a description really define how ridiculous it is? :/

cool story bro

Really nice team Vashta, and incredible presentation. I can see what all the hype on IRC was about. The only real thing I can see to change is Stone Edge on Lucario, as with an adamant nature Crunch isn't really worth it.

The only other changes I can think of would be a bit major, and would probably mess up the synergy. Again great team, congratulations on it.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Really solid build, and its really comprehensive and easy to read. With a team like this, I'd probably resort to 'mouse suggestions'. Stone Edge over Crunch might work out for this team, just for the sake of OHKOing Gyarados without resulting a switch-out to Latias. Crunch is decent, but Stone Edge helps hit Salamence, Gyarados for super effective, as well as hit Gligar, Ghost-types neutrally. But its mainly for Gyarados, a highlight threat in your list. I figured Rotom would be your lure to Overheat or Will-O-Wisp, giving Heatran an easy switch-in.

As for safety options, Flamethrower might work out over Fire Blast. If Heatran is gone, at certain times your matched up with Scizor and a miss from Fire Blast, could be a real bummer. Flamethrower still hits 252 hp / 252 spd Skarmory for a minimum of 64.07%, and OHKO Foretress still without the risk. Bronzong are non existent and alot of your members can handle it. Flamethrower could be a welcoming addition.

Other than that, excellent write up / team, it was worth the wait dude. 5 starred*****

That display left me speechless, really. Bravo!

Now, time to try and make this team better than it is now... Machamp and Gyarados are most of your problems, and, say, a pokemon like Rotom and Celebi can halt them somewhat, but then again, like Hunt said, that would mess up your team synch. The only thing I could possibly say is "move the 4 EVs on Heatran from Def to HP", but that would be silly.

So, to round it up, great RMT and excellent format!

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This is not a team. It is a work of art.

Excellent job Vashta, I really can't think of anything to change. Maybe you could try HP Electric just to make sure you can OHKO Gyara? IDK what to suggest, this is great stuff.

haunter

Banned deucer.
To everyone who reads this thread: ONLY POST IF YOU ARE ATTEMPTING TO RATE THE TEAM. Posts like "great team" or "bravo" are completely useless and, as of now, will be no longer tolerated.

I'm glad you highlighted Machamp as a threat because a claim I made earlier today was that any team without a ghost or a Slowbro is Machamp weak. This is simply because of No Guard DynamicPunch, which guarantees both damage and confusion, and you cannot risk a confused pokemon hitting itself at any point, especially on an offensive team like this.

Unfortunately, no movepool or EV or nature change will patch this weakness up. You're going to need to replace one of your pokemon with a pokemon that doesn't get badly hurt or confused by DynamicPunch. Since the only pokemon with Own Tempo are either too sluggish in their nature to contribute offensively or are weak to the move, this means you're going to need a ghost on the team somewhere. After looking through the team again, I am going to make what some people might say is a very rash suggestion: replace Salamence with Gengar.

My reasoning is that from what I can see, your "Mixmence" is a special attacker with a move to beat Blissey with. You already have a Heatran with a moveset that can beat Seismic Toss-less Blissey (and if they do have Seismic Toss, you can switch Gengar in freely). As a result, Brick Break only offers notable coverage against Tyranitar, but every single pokemon on your team can hit Tyranitar super effectively already so the move is rather redundant. Once you take that out, what's left is a purely special Salamence, and Gengar has better offensive capabilities in that department. Here is the set I propose:

Gengar @ Choice Specs
Timid
6 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Psychic / Trick

I would not like to recommend a choiced set on a team that already has two choiced pokemon, but the only way to ensure that the Gengar KOs Machamp before being KO'd by its Payback is with a Choice Specs Psychic, or you could instead attempt to Trick your choice item onto it, and then if Machamp does use Payback and KO your Gengar, Lucario has a free opportunity to set up.

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
You seem to be missing rotom from your threat lists, so I'm curious, how do you beat that? I'm guessing, just switch around on immunities/resists?

You really rely on latias a lot, maybe too much imo. Anything with pursuit can give you a lot of troubles. Pursuit+ape/gyara/whatever really hurts you, so be sure to take care of it. If latias is around, I can't see much giving you trouble. I tried to think of a way to make you less reliant on latias, but couldn't find it. You'd have to drastically alter your team, something like: Gross over scizor and rotom over gliscor but that would really change the team.

You seem to be missing rotom from your threat lists, so I'm curious, how do you beat that? I'm guessing, just switch around on immunities/resists?
I noticed this as well and with it perhaps the biggest threat to your team Sub Charge Rotom. Part of the problem with this Rotom is that it easily sets up on this team including Gliscor, Lucario and Scizor. You have no real counter not even Heatran as with a bit of residual damage (Life Orb) other than Stealth Rock it will go down. The only real solution you have are Salamence who can't easily switch in (thanks to naive it takes (54.38% - 64.35%) from a Thunderbolt) and Latias for revenge killing.

Charge Beam vs. Heatran
309 Atk vs 343 Def & 248 HP (50 Base Power): 49 - 58 (19.76% - 23.39%)

Thunderbolt with Boost vs. Heatran
463 Atk vs 343 Def & 248 HP (70 Base Power): 136 - 162 (54.84% - 65.32%)

My second gripe with the team is how you handle a well played Jolly Mamoswine who with just Ice Shard and Earthquake OHKOs/2HKOs everything in your team the main problem being you have nothing to revenge kill it bar Scizor who hates switching into Earthquake.

The solution to both these problems lies in Lucario simply change its nature to Jolly and you will instantly have revenge killing solutions to both Mamo and Rotom hitting them with Close Combat and Crunch respectively. Yes you lose power but with all this teams offensive output / answers to its counters you should be sweeping with it regardless.

Vashta said:
there is no Pokémon, bar Blissey, that can switch-in on Heatran without getting 2HKOed from its Fire Blast which is remarkable
This is pretty much a fabrication Latias for one can easily switch in as can Suicune and Milotic who also have the option to out speed it.

Hope this helps.
&
Congratulations on a beautiful and well made team i'm very jealous.

Great team Vashta :). One of the best teams I have seen so far and the RMT was excelently presented.

Now onto the team. I think that Gengar fits better on your team as a revenge killer. It has the same base speed as Latias, 20 more base SpA point's and it can revenge kill the same staff bar Infernape, who is ohkoed by shadow ball after SR damage and one life orb recoil. Gengar also adds some key immunities to the team, such as a fighting and a ground immunity, that both Heatran and Lucario appreciates. Moreover, Gengar and Latias have the same counters, so it will not add more problems to the team. The only drawback I can think of is that you lose some bulk on the Special Defence.

Here is the Gengar set I am suggesting:

Gengar@ Choice Scarf
abillity: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Nature: Timid
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder Bolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Trick

Hope I helped. Nice team again.

Gengar pales in comparison to Latias for this team because Latias can actually take a hit and not die.

I would advise Jolly Lucario for this team; I used to be all for Adamant, but I found that if you do plan on using Lucario as your final sweeper and do a good job at eliminating counters/weakening the opposing team, the benefits of Jolly are very nice.

vashta

Sorry for not replying earlier; I have been ill.

This is not a team. It is a work of art.

Excellent job Vashta, I really can't think of anything to change. Maybe you could try HP Electric just to make sure you can OHKO Gyara? IDK what to suggest, this is great stuff.
I'm sorry -- on what Pokémon? I'm somewhat confused and I can't really see where this is going...

I noticed this as well and with it perhaps the biggest threat to your team Sub Charge Rotom. Part of the problem with this Rotom is that it easily sets up on this team including Gliscor, Lucario and Scizor. You have no real counter not even Heatran as with a bit of residual damage (Life Orb) other than Stealth Rock it will go down. The only real solution you have are Salamence who can't easily switch in (thanks to naive it takes (54.38% - 64.35%) from a Thunderbolt) and Latias for revenge killing.

Charge Beam vs. Heatran
309 Atk vs 343 Def & 248 HP (50 Base Power): 49 - 58 (19.76% - 23.39%)

Thunderbolt with Boost vs. Heatran
463 Atk vs 343 Def & 248 HP (70 Base Power): 136 - 162 (54.84% - 65.32%)

My second gripe with the team is how you handle a well played Jolly Mamoswine who with just Ice Shard and Earthquake OHKOs/2HKOs everything in your team the main problem being you have nothing to revenge kill it bar Scizor who hates switching into Earthquake.

The solution to both these problems lies in Lucario simply change its nature to Jolly and you will instantly have revenge killing solutions to both Mamo and Rotom hitting them with Close Combat and Crunch respectively. Yes you lose power but with all this teams offensive output / answers to its counters you should be sweeping with it regardless.

This is pretty much a fabrication Latias for one can easily switch in as can Suicune and Milotic who also have the option to out speed it.

Hope this helps.
&
Congratulations on a beautiful and well made team i'm very jealous.
OK I'm going to re-test Jolly Lucario; the last time I did so, the power-loss really had a major impact when it came to encountering certain threats, especially Salamence that has been weakened; however, you are right about Mamoswine and SubCharge Rotom-A (both Pokémon being huge pains to this team) and I will probably report back on how that has gone. Obviously, with the change of nature, I will test Stone Edge though I am skeptical about this as it is only really hitting Gyarados -- Salamence is often faster than Lucario unless it is the Adamant Dragon Dancer variant.

I really don't like the Gengar suggestions as it increases my Pursuit weakness (one is enough for Lucario to successfully utilize) and the fact that I then lose my Salamence who was always a fantastic check to lots of Pokémon that Gengar can't switch into, only revenge kill. Nonetheless, I will test and report back.

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)