Weird Idea - Tests and Quizzes

Ok, this idea just popped into my head, and it may sound stupid or silly, but here goes!

First, let's begin with a connection. As the name of our community suggests, "Smogon" is a University. What is a university? It's an educational institution. What happens in educational institutions? You learn (Battling 101 / Articles on Site), you participate (Stark Mountain), and you graduate (err...Battling 101/RMT Archive?) Wait. Are we missing something? Sure we are! How about Tests and Quizzes? And finally, here we are.

My suggestion is to add, to the Articles section of the site (or something), tests and quizzes that encompass the competitive aspects of Pokemon. Why? Well, what are tests and quizzes? They are assessments. They help you learn. Suppose a new user arrives at Smogon University looking clueless. They're either too lazy to read the Smogon articles, or simply need to exercise and put their knowledge into practice. Well, they can simply take some of the quizzes we've put up. Again, the purpose of these quizzes is to enrich competitive knowledge - sometimes, lurking and reading articles just isn't enough. Some people need the confirmation that their wisdom and experience - how little those may be - are suitable before they begin posting and participating. Another thing is that maybe, just maybe, people that have taken the tests and have at least a little knowledge of what's going on will refrain from creating idiotic Stark Mountain threads, and actually have some background info in their brains before they start posting. This may be wishful thinking, but I think it's worth a try :P

Quizzes should be divided into the major topics that we use in our discussions today. For example, there should be a quiz on Team Building, and maybe EVs/IVs or something.

Again, if this sounds really stupid, I'm going to lock it right away. I just want to see you guys' responses. Thanks!

It actually sounds like a fairly decent idea. There are certainly no foreseeable downsides, and it could be a nice addition.

I'm not seeing this really being worth the effort. It seems more "gimmicky" than anything, and yes, as latios said, I'd much rather focus on actual competition. I can also see where Imperfectluck's objection could come into play.

I thought about the trivia/polls im The Smog too. It sounds fairly decent, but the best way to learn how to battle is hands-on participation.

It seems like a lot of work for not very much result, and yes, I think battles are Smogon's quizzes. However, we could make something like a "Quiz Ranking" or something that shows on your profile based on how good you do on the quizzes, but once again that would require tons of programming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)