Walrus WALRUS - Yeti's Anti-Pandering - Won by Oddish.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
15th

Walrein
Toto - Africa
I'm kind of squinting my eyes wondering if I'm being trolled by this meme song or this is genuinely what Walrein thought was his best song that has ever charted top 10. This is another where I feel like there's a wide point spread of middling mediocrity I could place this song heavily depending on my mood. It's another that suffers from me barely noticing when Pandora plays it. I lowered it dramatically on relisten. I don't think I tolerate it that much higher than Billie Jean.

Yeti

dark saturday
13th

RODAN
Taio Cruz - Dynamite
I have a personal pet peeve about music videos with extraneous sounds, also Break Your Heart is a way better Taio Cruz song. Dynamite is good but it's never been a song I'm EXCITED to hear. Like maybe once I've thought "oh Dynamite is in the Related Songs list I'll click it." It's just kinda there for me, being okay.

Yeti

dark saturday
12th

Lord Gaius
Gotye - Somebody That I Used to Know
So certain slow songs and I have a dynamic where I like the song but seek out a faster remix or cover to make up for how slow the original is. This is one of those songs in which I do have a poppier, peppier cover I vastly prefer to listen to. As such, the original kind of suffers when I can't remove the faster one from my mind. This is a good song, sure. But just kinda too plodding for me until the chorus drops and then it's better.

Yeti

dark saturday
11th

Myzozoa
Lauryn Hill - Doo Wop
This was one of the few songs I hadn't heard before in this cat. It may surprise people but I can jive with some more hip hop beats/real lyrics like this. That said as you all can probably imagine after the previous cat, songs with disjointed melodies or vocals don't tend to score particularly well with me. I don't think this song suffers from that, because for its genre I'm sure it's fine, but it doesn't flow super well for me. At some points there are just one too many overlapping vocal layers. It's cool enough, and I appreciate the fresh song.

Yeti

dark saturday
10th

Jalmont
The Outfield - Your Love
This is a good song until you open your eyes to the intro lyrics and realize it's about cheating. Stay woke fam. It's another that Pandora plays and I'm just kinda like 'cool sure.' I have a hard time pinpointing it between 6.5-7.1 because I like the 8th place song better but 6.5 seems kinda low but I think I have YouTubed it but I'm not sure I ever would again, necessarily.

Yeti

dark saturday
9th

vonFiedler
Michael Sembello - Maniac
I think my mom likes this song but maybe not. The opening synth is slick. I feel like how much I like this song is really mood-dependent because I do like it but it's not one I ever seek out. It does have a good beat. I'm hard pressed to say if this is low 7s and doesn't get deleted from YT History but will almost certainly slide below 100+ other songs, lost in obscurity, or I just man up and admit I'm not gonna listen to it again. I think I like it a little bit more than 6.9, so.

Yeti

dark saturday
7th

Da Letter El
Tears for Fears - Head over Heels
The opening is already better than Shout's. This song just has more going on and though it's still slower-paced it's not like just kind of plodding. I think it has a way better instrumental, too. It's like if Pandora is gonna play a Tears for Fears song, please pick this over Shout. It's not a favorite, though, if that makes sense.

Yeti

dark saturday
TIE-6/5TH

Pander-Capped
Granny Pie
Smash Mouth - All Star
So I unironically like All Star but Smash Mouth was in my bands list so this is gonna get pander-capped at 8.0. Flame all u want this is a Good Song.
Naturally-Scoring
UncleSam
Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
This is another song that has been on my iPod for Walrein's duration on this Earth but I almost feel like I outgrew it. When my phone shuffles through to it I'm just kinda eh to it. I used to love it but the 2000s became the 2010s and this song thrived in the olden days. The synth in this is really good. It just doesn't Inspire Me anymore. And it used to so much.

Yeti

dark saturday
2nd

Oddish.
Lady Gaga - Just Dance
The first Gaga song to grace my iPod. I appreciate early Gaga. Those were some good pop trash beats. Of any artist submitted I think Gaga's early stuff suits pop trash the best which isn't critical to score. I think this has held up better than Bad Romance for me but there's still several Gaga songs well above it. I tend to like danceable beats.

Yeti

dark saturday
1st

Asek
The Cardigans - Lovefool
Oh man this song has been on my iPod for longer than the Gaga songs submitted. It might be in the first 100 songs. It suffers from a similar problem many of these songs do, that I loved them in high school but once I hit grad school kind of left them behind. So I have a hard time placing this because there's a lot of nostalgia there and it's a good song but I also have to consider, am I going to ACTIVELY seek it out to listen to again? I think this is a song where I have a weird dynamic in that I know I'll "always" have it on my iPod so I don't really listen to it on YouTube, instead prioritizing stuff I don't own. But like, I would listen to it. I like it slightly better than Just Dance. Gotta respect the classic.

Yeti

dark saturday
RODAN
shubaka17
KnightsofCydonia
Granny Pie
Da Letter El
Jalmont
Walrein
Lord Gaius
Myzozoa
Steven Snype
vonFiedler
Blazade
atomicllamas
LightWolf
UncleSam
Asek
Oddish.

reveal in 1 hour on discord assuming it isnt kill again

https://discord.gg/CdMm7H

to preface, this cat did not score particularly well. most songs i felt were just 'ok.' some parts i really liked, like a certain chorus, but the song overall had flaws. a lot of these flaws are the same: too slow or the vocalist is trying to do some hood crap with her voice and it's too yelly. it just sounds Bad when girls try and sing like that. there were genuinely great moments in songs but there was no genuinely great song for me in this cat. so sleep easier knowing that you all are in the same boat of "that was ok wish they'd made diff choices" i guess ?? i appreciate all the submissions i got though!

i think cat 4 will score better.

Yeti

dark saturday
17th

Myzozoa
Sleater-Kinney - Everything
The instrumental seems good at the start though a little quiet, I had to turn this song up above the first half I listened to. Oh yipes then her vocals hit and this goes downhill real fast. I don't know what the name for this singing style is or if it has one or what genre it exactly is but I've never liked it. It's just kinda noise to me. It never sounds like the singer can actually sing. This song is just too harsh for me. There's a bit at like 2:30 where she stops yell-singing and it showed promise but the rest of the song... makes me wish I hadn't turned it up.

Yeti

dark saturday
16th

KnightsofCydonia
Beth Hart - Girls Say
Fun fact the name Beth annoys me for some reason and I've never named a character Beth. This starts out too slow and without like, a ton overtly going on in the instrumental. She seems to sing with some kind of twang when she says "girls say" but I guess at least what happens after is better than when she's normally singing? I don't know she sounds kinda country when singing. It's not a good sign when my favorite part of a song is "doo doo doo da doo" or w/e. This sounds like the female version of the kinda angsty early 2000s male bands like... Nickelback or something? I think this could have been a really good song if the vocals were just entirely differently done. Only keep the "doo doo" part. Everything else must go.

Yeti

dark saturday
15th

Steven Snype
BUNT. ft. Beginners - Young Hearts
Is it just me or does the piano kind of sound like the Cantina Band? Which I don't like as we know from last round. This is, okay, I guess? It's not something I'd listen to again. I'm having a hard time articulating what exactly I don't like about it except something about the vocals... maybe they seem too processed? The piano is eh for me too. At least Snype didn't get last this time lol. This song makes me want to rename this cat to "Simon Le Bon's vocals are woke and literally no one else can sing."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)