Venipede [QC 1/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

QC[1/3]: zeriloa
GP[0/2]:

Overview
########

+ Speed Boost allows it to outspeed opposition.
+ Access to both Spikes and Toxic Spikes.
+ Pretty good defensive typing, x4 resist to fighting and grass (good for common leads such as Mienfoo and Ferroseed).
+ Pin Missile can help it get through other leads with Sturdy.

- Not very bulky.
- Poor offensive ability.
- Doesn't get Baton Pass.
- Looks depressed all the time.

Veni-Lead
########
name: Veni-Lead
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Toxic Spikes / Protect
move 3: Endeavor
move 4: Pin Missile
ability: Speed Boost
item: Focus Sash
evs: 236 Atk / 44 Def / 220 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

- Toxic Spikes and Spikes coupled with Speed Boost are the main reason for choosing Venipede, allowing it to lay down at least a few layers of Spikes.
- Toxic Spikes are a rare occurrence in LC, so this is a big draw for using Venipede, it also helps boost the effectiveness of other Pokemon using Venoshock or Hex.
- Protect is used for getting free Speed Boost boosts, and for protection against Fake Out.
- Endeavor can be used toward the end of Venipede's life to weaken or kill the opposing lead, especially with Pin Missile.
- STAB Pin Missile does a fair amount of damage.

Set Details
========

- Jolly nature and max Speed EVs allow it to outspeed most leads without needing to protect.
- Max Attack Evs for boosted effectiveness off Endeavor and Pin Missile.
- Other EVs into defence for extra bulk, though they could be left out to get Venipede's HP down to 1 quicker for maximum power Endeavor.

Usage Tips
========

- Venipede is only really good as a lead for setting up Spikes and Toxic Spikes
- Protect should be used to gain enough speed to outspeed the opposing lead, and to stop Fake Out.
- Hazards are the primary concern when using Venipede, not killing the opposition.
- Venipede has a hard time switching into most things, though it can switch into Fighting or Grass-Types and set hazards once Rapid Spinners or Defogers have been eliminated.

Team Options
========

-Pokemon that appreciate hazards removing Sturdy, such as Zigzagoon or Shell Smashers are good teammates for Venipede.
-Venipede is neutered by Rapid Spinners / Defogers on the opposition, such as Ferroseed, Staryu, and especially Drilbur, so Pokemon that can remove these threats are welcome [Ponyta/Chinchou/Foongus/ Ghost-Types].
-Tirtouga makes a good partner for Venipede, covering all it's weaknesses and enjoying the hazard support.

Other Options
########

- STAB Poison Jab ruins Fairy-Types, such as Cottonee or Spritzee (though they may be unlikely to switch into Venipede).
- Infestation could be used to trap opposing leads if they are of little threat (and are without U-Turn or Volt Switch), allowing easy set up of Spikes.
-Venipede could run an offensive Life Orb set with a combination of Pin Missile / Protect / Venoshock / Toxic / Poison Jab / Pursuit.

Checks & Counters
########

Dwebble - Dwebble is a common lead, and Rock Blast has a high chance of OHKO-ing

Drilbur - Counters Venipede's entire existence with Rapid Spin and Rock Slide.

Flying-types - Archen and Vullaby - Defog and Flying STAB counter Venipede completely. Fletchling's priority Acrobatics OHKO's Venipede.

Setup Sweepers - Things like SubLOGastly, Swords Dance Pawniard, Swords Dance Fletching, and other setup sweepers can easily set up on Venipede due to it's weak attack.

Last edited:

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I dont think you want to Trap Ferroseed since it will just use Leech Seed and Spikes and Thunder Wave which is a huge F you to your plans.

If you could mention a different type of Poke to trap?

Tbh though if you have a spinner and ferro is the opponents spinner then trapping ferro isn't too bad, since you'll get down all your spikes and still outspeed it at +6 with Para, but yeah being paralysed isn't the best.

The problem with Infestation is that the main leads are Pokemon with U-turn or Volt Switch, or Rock-Types (and Venipede is pretty weak to them), so trapping them isn't the best idea since they'll just switch out through move or KO Venipede. Trapping something without U-turn/Volt switch and that can't deal too much damage in one go would be the best, but they generally aren't common leads.

Last edited:
So i've actually used this thing a decent amount and I think the best set is
Venipede @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
Level: 5
EVs: 240 Atk / 44 SpA / 224 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Pin Missile
- Toxic Spikes
- Endeavor

Toxic spikes is really the hazard to use if you want to use Venipede as it's rare in LC unlike spikes which other things can set up more reliably. HP ground is mainly for Croagunk and Magnemite while the other two moves are self explanatory. I guess a purely physical set with poison jab would also be as good so you can threaten fairies or double spiking. The nature could just as easily be naughty but having the extra initial speed really does help.

Finally your set should really hit 14 speed at least. So you can switch into Abra and other 19 speed pokemon then protect and outspeed without relying on a 50/50

So i've actually used this thing a decent amount and I think the best set is
Venipede @ Focus Sash
EVs: 240 Atk / 44 SpA / 224 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Pin Missile
- Toxic Spikes
- Endeavor

Toxic spikes is really the hazard to use if you want to use Venipede as it's rare in LC unlike spikes which other things can set up more reliably. HP ground is mainly for Croagunk and Magnemite while the other two moves are self explanatory. I guess a purely physical set with poison jab would also be as good so you can threaten fairies or double spiking. The nature could just as easily be naughty but having the extra initial speed really does help.

Finally your set should really hit 14 speed at least. So you can switch into Abra and other 19 speed pokemon then protect and outspeed without relying on a 50/50
I don't really know why you'd want to switch into abra with 189% OHKO ability after most likely taking damage from setting hazards. The main purpose of Veni is to set up hazards then last as long as possible, not switch into other mons after the fact, because it doesn't have that great Atk/SpA.

I'll switch Toxic Spikes and Spikes around, though I will still keep the caveat about steel types.

Not sure about taking HP Ground over Protect, considering it doesn't really damage Croagunk at all:
44 SpA Venipede Hidden Power Ground vs. 132 HP / 116 SpD Eviolite Croagunk: 6-8 (26 - 34.7%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO

HP ground does have the ability to OHKO mag, but mag resists Toxic Spikes, and Sturdy won't be broken by that.

I'll change the Speed bit, that makes sense allowing it to outspeed the unboosted meta after a protect, especially since Veni doesn't gain all that much from the extra SpD.

i'd like the main set to look something like this:
Venipede @ Focus Sash
EVs: 236 Atk / 52 Def / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Pin Missile
- Endeavor
- Toxic Spikes / Protect
reasoning being that spikes are generally better, but having the option of t spikes against teams w/o grounded poisons is nice. protect is helpful for fake out and being able to outspeed taunt foo. sash is definitely better than evio imo, and you usually want to get down to 1 hp for endeavor, so defensive EVs are useless. " Pin Missile can help it get through other leads with Sturdy." remove this from the overview as pin missile isn't doing much to dwebble or tirtouga. expand C&C, off the top of my head, vullaby and things that can set up on it (sub gastly, fletch, bu timburr etc) should go there. make these changes and qc 1/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)