Update Regarding Stop Online Piracy Act and NDAA

Yeah you're right, turns out that the Anonymous video from earlier was posted last week on YouTube when they thought SOPA was going to pass and then the Twitter incident happened that postponed the hearings for the bill for the 1st time. Thank God for Jack Dorsey cause If it wasn't for him the Internet would've been doomed.

What happened up to now from last night is that the SOPA hearings for the vote was postponed again until Congress gets back from their Winter Recess which is expected to be early next month in January. Protect IP is also up for a vote next month backed by Democratic Senator Harry Reid.

Even If SOPA and Protect IP doesn't pass the Government is going to try to pass a similiar bill called the OPEN Act (Online Protection and Enforcement of Digital Trade Act) at least that's what I've heard anyway. There's also Bill S.978 or the Commercial Felony Streaming Act which also needs to be stopped.

Watched a Vanguard episode on OWS and it made me feel like America is really going the 1984 route. Just the way the big news channels show all the idiots in Guy Fawkes masks and other stupid costumes whenever they talk about OWS but on the documentary they show that the bulk of the protesters are normal people. They talked to a man who was retired Navy and went to his hometown to show why he was there and it was literally a ghost town. Every business had closed down and the only people still living there were people collecting retirement/ss money.

Anyway, that got me wondering how long until our government uses NDAA to declare all protesters terrorists and just lock them away forever.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
From what I know of, GoDaddy did pull away from supporting SOPA. It's still listed on there for some reason, though.

The article.

They are currently staying "neutral" until more things are resolved.

More info regarding NDAA, the only way to enact the Nationally Defense Authorization Act legally is if 2/3 of the people vote on it to make it an Amendment to the Constitution of the United States. If the government tries to enact the Nationally Defense Authorization Act without it being made an Amendment will be in violation of the Constitution.

Right now the ultimate law of the land (U.S. Supreme Court) says in Amendment IV that the government cannot search unreasonable and seizures your poetry without a warrant. Also Amendment V says No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia.

As for US citizens committing treason, according to Article III Section 3 of our Constitution says, "Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

Congress shall have Power to declare Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted." This is how we are to treat people that commit treason. You still can't just arrest some one and in the case of treason, Congress is the judge that decides the punishment, not the courts. Still it requires witnesses like everything else.

So legally the government will not be able to enact parts of the Nationally Defense Authorization Act if the US citizens do not vote on it to make it an Amendment. I do want to know if the government chooses to break the law by violating the 4th and 5th Amendment and/or Article III Section 3, who arrests the government when they do?

Long live freedom and down with governmental slavery.

Tolan

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
I have kind of a stupid question about SOPA and PROTECT IP. Would they only target uploaders/websites, or would they go after streamers/downloaders too?

Tolan

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Fuck. I really wouldn't be able to deal with a multi-million dollar lawsuit right now.

Can someone maybe high light or point out the part in OP's link that say's .com, .net, .org domains are not affected???

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
They would in theory go after both, but they would be better off going after uploaders rather than streamers/downloaders...

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can someone maybe high light or point out the part in OP's link that say's .com, .net, .org domains are not affected???
You know, the funny thing is that .gov isn't included in there.

So if a clever hacker put illegal content on a government website...

...Not really, though. It'd probably be easy-street for you to get caught.

Well incase you're wondering a few days ago Obama signed NDAA for 2012 into law, here's the thing: The Government passes a NDAA law each year to give money to our military which is why this bad version of NDAA was passed near-unanimously in Congress and why Obama signed it. Not because they all secretly want to toss American citizens in jail. It's bad enough the Mexican Mafia are trying to infiltrate the U.S. from within with their drug war going on right now taking the lives of innocent people for their own gain.

So does the situation suck? Yes, it does. But it sucks for very different reasons than they think. Of course the right course of action was to veto NDAA of 2012 but then the Military wouldn't have any money left fighting in other places around the world like in Afghanistan to keep our world safe from terrorist organizations like the Taliban or corrupt regimes from foreign countries like Iran and North Korea. Plus we already spent like $9 Trillion in Military Spending fighting in Iraq.

Anyway this is probably nothing new, however Capcom has confirmed that it supports SOPA:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/capcom-confirms-support-for-sopa/

This isn't surprising considering that there's a laundry list of other gaming companies like Capcom that support SOPA. As a matter of fact why don't they support the OPEN Act instead? It's less dangerous and draconian than SOPA is.

No way. Capcom supports SOPA? Who would have guessed that the company that's remade the same game at least four different times with little to no changes would support a bill that stops people from pirating their half-made games?

But seriously, fuck Capcom.

The main reason why nobody is talking about SOPA and PIPA? It's because News Networks like CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC that are in support of SOPA and PIPA are ignoring it:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...d-sopa-supporters-are-ignoring-sopapipa.shtml

Oh and here's another interesting article:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/09/nosopaorpipa/

Also Google, YouTube, eBay, and other Online Sites are considering the "Nuclear Option" in protest against SOPA:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/...ering-nuclear-option-to-stop-SOPA?via=siderec

As for the Senate vote on SOPA it is scheduled for Jan. 23 or the 24, either one of those two dates at least according to the sources I've read regarding this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)