Up

Team

This is a team I've been using for around a month, but I just couldn't get into the leaderboard :( I was just a few points short off the leaderboard when for some reason my rating began to crumble as I continued to lose. I'm going for another upward climb, so I'll need you guys' feedback!

Introduction

As a battler, I share the burden many others do - I am a horrible team builder. Synergy, resistances, and building an effective team is general in an endeavor that I hardly wish to experience, and as such, I tend to avoid building many teams and instead stick with one team for months to come. I had been using my old team for around three months when I decided it was time for a change. And so, I produced my team-building journal (freaky, yes) from the dark depths of my shelf, locked myself in my room for three days (okay, I lied), and began the dreaded process of planning a team that I knew I would be cursed to use for eternity (well, maybe a few months)...

Summary

Objective of Team: Rely on the resistances and immunities sported by its members, while slowly but indubitably obtaining critical information about what ties the opposition's team together. Subsequently, the members of this team shall dedicate their skills into using perilous and brutal force to rip apart the centralization of the opposing team while maintaining solid defensive potential at the same time. The final assault shall not assume a conservative approach; when a plan is devised, all members must fight to achieve its goal, even if in the process they perish.

In other words!!!..: it's a fancy way of saying "this team uses resistances to win; therefore, expect to see the words "resistances and immunities" littered around this RMT so much that you'll be bored of them, ack ack ack". Anyway, I have at least three resistances to 14 attacking types, two resistances to 2 attacking types, and one resistance to 1 attacking type.

I used the alias "Up" when battling. The funny thing about this team is that I either lose miserably or win dramatically. I've been swept by good players, but have also played so well against some of them that many tend to a) leave the game or b) not be a good sport and type "gg". If you remember me please drop by to say hi, or flame the heck out of me if I haxed you. I DID try to be as nice as possible while using this alias, since "the greatest weapon against the rude is to respond blissfully to such rudeness".

This team employs offense that comes more from the Special spectrum than the physical, and because of this, it can be stall-weak at times. This is a problem I'm still trying to remedy. Also, note that two of my special attackers have Trick, and Blissey just seems to get victimized one too many times. I have 5 members immune to Toxic Spikes, which can help when playing against stall.

A couple of facts about this team:
  • Five Pokemon are immune to Toxic Spikes. This makes my life significantly easier against stall teams.
  • Three Pokemon are immune to Spikes. Not too bad, I suppose.
  • All the Pokemon take minimal Stealth Rock damage (12.25%), with the exception of one Pokemon, who takes 1/4 Stealth Rock damage (3.125%).
Also:

OK, enough crappy content; help out with my team members!

Members

Starmie @ Choice Scarf (**Ellie**)
Timid - Natural Cure
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 6 Def

~ Trick
~ Surf
~ Thunderbolt
~ Ice Beam

"Promises and hopes are not unlike stars; the darker the night, the brighter they shine."
When I started building my team, I jotted down a list of six Pokemon that functioned pretty well on the whole as a core. I did not consider one thing, however - the lead! I faced a dilemma when deciding which of the six Pokemon I would use as a lead, but after making a few thoughtful insights, I decided that Starmie would take the position. As we know, the lead is sometimes considered the most important Pokemon in a team. I wanted my lead to be able to check a significant portion of other leads, while trying something "new" that people thought wouldn't be used. After all, many Starmie leads are Life Orb Rapid Spinners, so who would bother slapping a Scarf onto her (Starmie is too royal to be "it") and striking opponents with power that is mediocre at best?

I would! Trick Scarf Starmie actually fares very well against other common standard leads. Against Metagross, I will Trick my Scarf while it sets up Stealth Rock, while Azelf eats two Surfs. Jirachi is one of the leads I can't beat, which is sad, but the good stuff is coming - Swampert and Aerodactyl both get Scarves Tricked onto them. Infernape can't touch Starmie with both of its STAB moves, so I can just Surf accordingly. Mr. Hippowdon and Mr. Bronzong, I would like you to say hello to my friend, Sir Scarf. Ninjask is annoying, but another member of my team which will be revealed eventually can send you Whirlwinding to nowhere. I generally switch out of Tyranitar and Roserade, but Surf against Heatran and Trick Scarf against Smeargle. I can't beat Abomasnow, but I can Surf a Mamoswine (or Trick it if I think it's going to set up Stealth Rock), and the list goes on - you figure it out. Many top leads, especially slow ones like Bronzong, won't mind getting hit by STAB Surfs, but they very much dislike a Choice Scarf. However, I am evil, so I laugh at them and abuse the powers of the gods by summoning the power of Poseidon (Surf), Zeus (Thunderbolt), and Santa Claus? (Ice Beam). No, I really couldn't think of an Ice God.

Speaking of the powers of the heavens, Starmie's moveset is simple and traditional - Surf for STAB, and BoltBeam to wreak havoc here and there, annhilating Salamence and Gyarados later on in the match if I need to. One thing I love about Starmie is its access to the combo itself, so that I will not need to follow the steps of other waters and use that Hidden Power Electric nonsense to further complicate my IVs. If I get items that aren't favorable, like a Focus Sash if I've switched into Stealth Rock, I can Trick it to something like Blissey and get more useful items like Leftovers or even a Life Orb. And yes, this is the only Pokemon weak to Toxic Spikes, but Natural Cure is there anyway. The EV Spread is nice and easy to understand as well. Starmie has a Timid nature because even if I Trick my Scarf away, I will still have 361 Speed, which outruns any form of Magnezone, Life Orb Mixnape, and Non-Scarf Gengar.

Starmie is named after Ellie from up because I couldn't think of any other characters that would fit.

A minor note for the resistances and weaknesses you'll see below: in parentheses is the number that reflects the total weaknesses/resistances of my team. These numbers will obviously go up as I introduce newer members.

Resists: Fighting (1 Total in Team), Steel (1 Total in Team), Fire (etc), Water (1), Psychic (1), Ice (1)
Weaknesses: Bug (1), Dark (1), Ghost (1), Electric (1), Grass (1)

Skarmory @ Leftovers (**Kevin**)
Careful - Keen Eye
252 HP / 252 SpD / 6 Def

~ Roost
~ Spikes
~ Whirlwind
~ Brave Bird

If you've played the Suspect Metagame in the past few weeks, then you've undoubtedly heard of this creation, otherwise known as "Specially Defensive Skarmory". Ha! Only 262 Special Defense! Laugh all you want, but when it comes for your time to get owned by this bird, I'll be the one cackling. Oh yeah, this can also survive a Naive/Timid Magnezone's Thunderbolt, so I can Whirlwind it and Roost up later (assuming I switch into choiced Earthquake or...Toxics).

Move a little into the future (after you just got beaten up by Special Skarmory), and you're probably going to ask the question: "What makes this thing successful?" I can't argue that 334 HP / 262 SpD is the best defensive characteristic available, but factor in the multitude of Skarmory's resistances and two immunities and you have a beast at your hands. Also, don't forget that even without Defense EVs, Skarmory still has 316 Defense and can wall even Stone Edges with particular ease. Pokemon that Skarmory usually counter, like Scizor and Weavile, still can't touch it very well at all. However, it's the Special Defense that really shines - this Skarmory can take relatively well-powered neutral Surfs and Ice Beams; it takes little to no damage from Grass Knots, Shadow Balls, and so on. It can even survive super effective Hidden Power Fires and Thunderbolts (like I said, it survives STAB Thunderbolt coming from Magnezone's 359 SpA) from time to time. While taking these aforementioned Surfs and Ice Beams and Roosting when necessary, it can also set up a few layers of Spikes. When it's satisfied and has Roosted for too long, it Whirlwinds you out and begins pHazing again and again and again and again until you're really annoyed. Anyway, Skarmory is an extremely important member of my team because it keeps many physical attackers and defensive special attackers at bay. I can also set up Spikes on Blissey, who only deals around ~37% to me with Flamethrower. Among some OUs who can't touch Skarmory include Celebi, Scizor, Weavile, Forretress, Bronzong, and many, many more. If you haven't tried Special Skarmory yet, shame on you!

The Standard Skarmory invests around 60 Atk EVs to power up Drill Peck or Brave Bird. I decided not to waste EVs by investing in Attack or even Speed, but I focused on Skarmory's Special Defense, as every little stat point counts. Plus, Brave Bird is already pretty powerful enough, and Skarmory won't be hitting too many things anyway. Most of the time it will just be doing its traditional job of Spiking and Whirlwinding - it's just the way it's suited to take hits that's different. And no, I am not naming Skarmory Achilles, like a million of you guys do. Kevin is named after Up's famous bird who refuses to fall at all costs.

Resists: Normal (1), Flying (1), Bug (1), Dark (1), Ghost (1), Steel (2), Grass (1), Psychic (2), Dragon (1), Poison (1), Ground (1)
Weaknesses: Electric (2), Fire (1)

Heatran @ Choice Scarf (**Alpha**)
Naive - Flash Fire

~ Stealth Rock
~ Fire Blast
~ Earth Power
~ Explosion / Dragon Pulse

Starmie's inability to set up Stealth Rock is dreadful, and that calls for something to be able to do so, while also sporting the resistances that are the subject of this team. When paired with a Choice Scarf, Stealth Rock plays mind games with the opponent if they switch - why would Scarftran be carrying Stealth Rock? If this information is stored in their mind, I can use it to my advantage later, as that means I've successfully bluffed a Life Orb, Shuca Berry, or some other non-choice item.

Heatran is a random counter to a lot of Pokemon in the Metagame, coming in on Will-O-Wisps, Flamethrowers, and the many 1/4 resistances it has (including the very useful Ice and Grass resistances) to threaten opponents with a powerful Fire Blast of its own. It also fits very well into this team as it can scare Scizor away, which is a big advantage, as it can Pursuit and U-Turn against Starmie and another member you will soon see. Heatran also fits into this team for a very crucial reason - when you think "resistances", you basically think "Skarmory, Forretress, Empoleon, Heatran,"... and so on! This team is all about making life easy when pivoting, and Heatran is a star at the job. Heatran's movepool is also simple. Stealth Rock has already been mentioned. Fire Blast and Earth Power are classic moves on the arcane arachnid, and Explosion helps against Blissey, Latias, and Gyarados if I play it right. The most common WishBliss, who runs Flamethrower, can never beat any form of Heatran. Therefore, when Blissey is low on health, I enjoy absorbing Flamethrower to gain a Flash Fire boost and tear a hole through my opponent's team with one of OU's hardest hitting moves - +1 Fire Blast! Unfortunately, dragons (Kingdra, Salamence, Latias) and Gyarados often take advantage of me and set up. Upon encouragement I just might slap on Dragon Pulse there, but only if you describe how it will dramatically alter Heatran's abilities xD Also, if by any chance Lucario sets up on me, Heatran can take around two +2 Extremespeeds with ease. Finally, if I used the psychological Heatran-Uses-Stealth-Rock-Then-It-Must-Not-Be-Scarfed!!! move earlier, I will be able to revenge Jolly Lucario who think they outrun me.

EV Spread: Come on, it's not that hard, guys...(I'm not too creative in inventing EV spreads)

Alpha is apparently the name of that Rottweiler dog with the funky voice in Up. It looked evil, and so does Heatran, so imagine them both with that baby voice and enjoy!

Resists: Normal (2), Flying (2), Bug (2), Dark (2), Ghost (2), Steel (3), Grass (2), Psychic (3), Dragon (2), Poison (2), Ice (2), Fire (2)
Weaknesses: Ground (1), Fighting (1), Water (1)

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Let me interrupt you for a while. By this point, we have half the team covered. Let's take a look at the resistances and weaknesses of the team as a whole.

Resistances
  • Normal (2 - Heatran, Skarmory)
  • Ice (2 - Heatran, Starmie)
  • Fighting (1 - Starmie)
  • Water (1 - Starmie)
  • Flying (2 - Heatran, Skarmory)
  • Bug (2 - Heatran, Skarmory)
  • Dark (2 - Heatran, Skarmory)
  • Ghost (2 - Heatran, Skarmory)
  • Dragon (2 - Heatran, Skarmory)
  • Psychic (3 - Heatran, Starmie, Skarmory)
  • Grass (2 - Heatran, Skarmory)
  • Electric (0)
  • Ground (1 - Skarmory)
  • Poison (2 - Heatran, Skarmory)
  • Steel (3 - Heatran, Starmie, Skarmory)
  • Rock (0)
  • Fire (2 - Heatran, Starmie)
Weaknesses
  • Normal (0)
  • Ice (0)
  • Fighting (1 - Heatran)
  • Water (1 - Heatran)
  • Flying (0)
  • Bug (1 - Starmie)
  • Dark (1 - Starmie)
  • Ghost (1 - Starmie)
  • Dragon (0)
  • Psychic (0)
  • Grass (1 - Starmie)
  • Electric (2 - Skarmory, Starmie)
  • Ground (1 - Heatran)
  • Poison (0)
  • Steel (0)
  • Rock (0)
  • Fire (1 - Skarmory)
The goal, obviously, is to sport as many resistances as possible, and have as few weaknesses as possible. I am doing pretty well, if I may say so myself. However, I do need more resistances to generally everything and the following types specifically: Fighting, Water, Electric, Ground, and Rock. At the same time, I will need to limit my Electric weaknesses. On to the rest of the team, then!

Rotom-H @ Leftovers (**Russell**)
Bold - Levitate
252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe

~ Overheat
~ Thunderbolt
~ Shadow Ball
~ Toxic

Everyone's favorite toaster is back again and ready to crisp Metagross, Scizor, and a bunch of other random steels (like Steelix and Forretress) that think Steel/Ground provide good coverage. Well, not against Rotom-H, buddy. Previously, I mentioned that I needed more weaknesses to certain types. Rotom-H helps me take Fighting, Ground, and Electric attacks effectively, and don't forget its other useful resistances, too. For this reason, Rotom-H also helps me check NP Togekiss and various Staraptors very well, taking little to nothing from Air Slash/Brave Bird and resisting Aura Sphere/Close Combat. Flying-Fighting is good coverage, eh? Well, not against Rotom-H, bud...hey, anyone feeling deja vu here?

This Rotom is another very Standard set, with the Standard boring EVs from the analysis and the Standard boring moves - Thunderbolt, Overheat, Shadow Ball, and Toxic. Wait, what? Toxic? Whatever happened to Will-O-Wisp? Well, here's my answer. Toxic allows me to seriously combat bulky Pokemon like Swampert that can easily handle this team, something that Will-O-Wisp can't do. Rotom-H is usually able to take a hit, Toxic something attempting a sweep that has already set up, and if the worst happens, I can simply shuffle through my team, relying on resistances while Toxic takes its toll on the same sweeper. Will-O-Wisp can arguably do the same, but Toxic also damages opponents that mainly attack from the special spectrum, like Suicune, Vaporeon, and Porygon2. Thunderbolt can do some nasty damage to them, but Toxic slowly seals their fate, especially if they decide to do annoying things like Recover or Wish. Sorry, not on my watch. Shadow Ball and Thunderbolt provide nice STAB alongside each other, so I don't really need Hidden Power Ice. Overheat punishes Steels, mainly, as I don't like the concept of "bluffing Overheat" and being unable to do much damage to Magnezone and Metagross. Also, if I predict wrongly and use Thunderbolt on Electivire, what can it do against me? This is one of the greater Electivire counters out there, taking ~28% from Flamethrower.

EV Spread: With 88 Speed EVs, I hit 230 Speed, which makes me faster than any form of Adamant Scizor (die, Swords Dancers!) and any form of Adamant Tyranitar. The rest of the EVs are dumped into HP and Defense to be able to shrug off even non-boosted Zen Headbutts from Metagross well, in addition to blocking random moves like Stone Edge and the Elemental Punches.

Rotom-H is named Russell because it can be oblivious to things around it (ie Close Combat, Earthquake, etc).

Resists: Normal (3), Fighting (2), Ground (2), Flying (3), Poison (3), Bug (3), Steel (4), Electric (2)
Weaknesses: Ghost (2), Dark (2)

Lucario @ Leftovers (**Dug**)
Impish - Inner Focus
252 HP / 252 Def / 6 Spe

To further improve my resistances, I'm making a bulky Lucario who takes hits like a beast...

Okay, I'm not that crazy. Fooled ya!

Lucario @ Leftovers (**Dug**)
Adamant - Inner Focus
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 Def

~ Swords Dance
~ Extremespeed / Bullet Punch
~ Crunch
~ Close Combat

Although Lucario is defensively pitiful, it does have *cough cough* resistances and immunities, which again work to aid this team. Note that Lucario isn't the sturdiest thing available, so allowing it to take, say, Outrages, is a no-go. However, although weak, it CAN take a Surf, Thunderbolt, and similar attacks, provided that they are only relatively well-powered (from things like Starmie, Slowbro, and more). The gods (Arceus?) also blessed it with 1/4 resistances to Rock, Bug, and Dark-type moves, so these can come in useful in the defining moments of the game. That said, this is the only Pokemon in this team that blocks Rock-type moves, so I do have a gaping weakness to DDTar. (However, if I am able to significantly weaken it with SR + Spikes + Forced moves, Starmie can come in and do around ~40% with Surf.) Bullet Punch does 44% minimum to 6 HP Tyranitar.

This is my late-game sweeper and solution to Blissey. I usually don't reveal it until I absolutely must (when, for example, I know that Tyranitar is locked onto Pursuit or stuff) and have a clear idea of what my opponent's team looks like, since that is often the key to use Lucario. For instance, if I show Lucario too early in the match and my opponent has a Gliscor, he or she will take the steps to save that Gliscor. Therefore, I scout by using my resistances and immunities again and take down evident Lucario counters or ones that can stop its sweep (Gengar, Gliscor, Gyarados, etc) before Swords Dancing. Other than that, this is your friendly Lucario again - Swords Dance to boost Attack, Close Combat + Crunch to provide coverage that is only resisted by Heracross in OU, and Extremespeed for priority because Lucario is actually rather slow (due to my gaping Gengar/DDTar weakness, I've tried Bullet Punch as well). The EVs are straightforward too. I have once considered ScarfLuke, and might test it in the near future, but for now, this will do.

Lucario is named after

Obviously the best character in Up. Lucario and Dug are both dogs, so it makes sense.

Quote:
Master, I hid under your porch because I love you!!
Resists: Normal (4), Rock (1), Poison (4), Bug (4), Steel (5), Grass (3), Ice (3), Dragon (3), Dark (3), Ghost (3)
Weaknesses: Fire (2), Fighting (2), Ground (2)

Latias @ Choice Specs (**Carl**)
Timid - Levitate

~ Surf
~ Dragon Pulse
~ Thunderbolt / Roost
~ Trick

My old Suspect Tutor and I both share one thing in common - we love Latios (I hope he still does)! Unfortunately, it was voted Uber, so for now I'm doomed to use this thing, who I believe is INFERIOR (so sue me) to Latios by astronomical levels.

On paper, I wanted to base this team around Dragon Dance Latios (rofloloroforlfolrofl), inspired by a certain someone's catastrophically weird but highly effective sets. I just might, once it's down to OU. But it isn't in OU yet, so I'm forced to use this. She's Latios' exact counterpart, with the same useful resistances, and the same annoying weaknesses, but with less SpA. But what can I say...I'm impressed. Specs Latias is without a doubt my favorite version of Latias, more so than the Calm Mind and Supportive sets. One thing I like about Latios is its ability to 2HKO Scizor with Surf + Life Orb. Latias can do that too, but with Choice Specs, which is why I'm using her as such. Also, Latias makes an effective Heatran counter due to her high SpD and cripples Blissey with Trick. Choice Specs Blissey's Flamethrower is actually kind of funny. Haw haw...okay, enough of that. Dragon Pulse + Surf provides great coverage, and Surf 2HKOs Scizor, as I mentioned before. Ice Beam is a kind of useless move to have on Latias, as she has Dragon Pulse already, so I put Thunderbolt in there to deal with Gyarados and other water-types easily. (So far it hasn't been doing very well; I usually like to lock onto Dragon Pulse and murder!!!!) The EV Spread is simple, too - SpA/Spe are maximized to make the most out of her Special Offensive side. Don't get me wrong; she can still take Heatran Fire Blasts and also blocks Offensive Azelf very nicely, forcing them to Explode, which I can then redirect to Rotom-H or Skarmory. Roost helps me out if I decide to replace the rarely useful Thunderbolt. (Err...just a secret between you and me...I tried using Sucker Punch to help against Gengars at low health D:) One more thing - please do NOT tell me to slap Hidden Power Fire on Latias. It would be great IF it didn't reduce my Speed IV by one point. I need that Speed IV. This team is rather Latias/Gengar weak, and if the worst happens, I'll at least be able to Speed tie with them.

The nickname? Don't ask. Well, if you must, Carl is the main character of Up, and Latias is the main character of my team. So far, she killed the most opponents, which is kind of deceptive if you look at her peaceful sprite.

Resists: Water (2), Grass (4), Electric (2), Fire (3), Psychic (4), Fighting (3), Ground (3)
Weaknesses: Ice (1), Bug (2), Dark (3), Ghost (3), Dragon (1)

By this point:

Yummy..

Resistances
  • Normal (4 - Heatran, Skarmory, Rotom-H, Lucario)
  • Ice (3 - Heatran, Starmie, Lucario)
  • Fighting (3 - Starmie, Latias, Rotom-H)
  • Water (2 - Starmie, Latias)
  • Flying (3 - Heatran, Skarmory, Rotom-H)
  • Bug (4 - Heatran, Skarmory, Rotom-H, Lucario)
  • Dark (3 - Heatran, Skarmory, Lucario)
  • Ghost (3 - Heatran, Skarmory, Lucario)
  • Dragon (3 - Heatran, Skarmory, Lucario)
  • Psychic (4 - Heatran, Starmie, Skarmory, Latias)
  • Grass (4 - Heatran, Skarmory, Latias, Lucario)
  • Electric (2 - Rotom-H, Latias)
  • Ground (3 - Skarmory, Rotom-H, Latias)
  • Poison (4 - Heatran, Skarmory, Lucario, Rotom)
  • Steel (5 - Heatran, Starmie, Skarmory, Lucario, Rotom-H)
  • Rock (1 - Lucario)
  • Fire (3 - Heatran, Starmie, Latias)
Weaknesses
  • Normal (0)
  • Ice (1 - Latias)
  • Fighting (2 - Heatran, Lucario)
  • Water (1 - Heatran)
  • Flying (0)
  • Bug (2 - Starmie, Latias)
  • Dark (3 - Starmie, Latias, Rotom-H)
  • Ghost (3- Starmie, Latias, Rotom-H)
  • Dragon (1 - Latias)
  • Psychic (0)
  • Grass (1 - Starmie)
  • Electric (2 - Skarmory, Starmie)
  • Ground (2 - Heatran, Lucario)
  • Poison (0)
  • Steel (0)
  • Rock (0)
  • Fire (2 - Skarmory, Lucario)
These are the statistics of my team in total. I'd like to point out a couple of things. Firstly, I have 5 Steel resistances, so too bad, Scizor. Second, I don't have too many Water and Electric resistances, so, eg. Gyarados and Specsjolt can really do some serious damage. I have 3 annoying Ghost weaknesses (but in return, 3 Ghost resistances) and 3 Dark weaknesses (making a lot of things Pursuit bait), but if I predict a Pursuit coming my way Starmie, Rotom-H and Latias will do their best to whittle down the opponent's health.

[SYNERGY]
Here are some examples of HOW I use the team members with one another to achieve defensive or offensive optimality. Credit goes to ThePowerWithin for the idea of this section!

+

Latias and Heatran

Collaboratively, Heatran and Latias resist ALL 16 attacking types in the game. This is often used to my advantage when searching for a favorable switch-in. This is an example of "defensive synergy".
Example One: Latias attracts Scizor; Heatran blocks U-Turn or threatens Swords Dance variants.
Example Two: Heatran attracts Swampert; Latias takes on EQs and Waterfalls and can hit hard in return. .

+

Starmie and Lucario

Starmie is a great lure for stuff that Lucario can effectively handle. This is an example of "offensive synergy".
Example One: Starmie attracts Blissey and Tyranitar. Tyranitars going for Crunch or Payback find their Dark-type moves redirected to Lucario, who threatens it with Close Combat. The same goes for Blissey.
Example Two: If Gyarados is sent in to take care of Luke, Starmie can outrun it after a DD and Thunderbolt.

+
-H
Heatran and Rotom-H

This is a cool combo that is an example of both offensive and defensive synergy.
Example One Heatran attracts Suicune. Rotom-H can Toxic it and Thunderbolt it for super effective damage. (defensive/offensive element 1)
Example Two: Rotom-H attracts Gengar. Heatran absorbs Shadow Ball, and Fire Blasts to OHKO it. (defensive/offensive element 2)

[MINI THREAT LIST]

Sorry, no sprites this time :( Red stuff means they're crazy dangerous!

Azelf: Heatran, Latias, Rotom-H, Starmie
Alakazam: Latias, Skarmory, Rotom-H
Blissey: Lucario, Skarmory
Breloom: Latias, Starmie, Rotom-H, Skarmory
Bronzong: Rotom-H, Skarmory, Heatran?
Celebi: Skarmory, Heatran
Cresselia: Skarmory, Rotom-H, Lucario?
Donphan: Rotom-H, Skarmory
Dugtrio: Everyone can (or "must") do something
Dusknoir: Rotom-H, Heatran
Electivire: Latias, Rotom-H
Empoleon: Latias, Starmie
Flygon: Rotom-H, Skarmory
Forretress: Rotom-H, Heatran
Gengar: Depends (I'm forced to pivot a lot)
Gliscor: Latias, Rotom-H, Skarmory
Gyarados: Starmie, Rotom-H, Latias
Heatran: Latias, Starmie, Heatran
Heracross: Rotom-H, Skarmory
Hippowdon: Rotom-H, Starmie, Latias
Infernape: Latias, Starmie
Jirachi: Rotom-H, Heatran, Skarmory
Kingdra: Skarmory
Latias: Skarmory, Rotom-H
Lucario: Rotom-H, Heatran
Machamp: Rotom-H, Latias
Magnezone: Heatran (ironically), Latias, Rotom-H
Mamoswine: Rotom-H, Skarmory
Metagross: Rotom-H, Skarmory
Ninjask: Skarmory
Porygon2: Lucario, Rotom-H
Porygon-Z: Rotom-H, Heatran
Rhyperior: Rotom-H, Skarmory, Latias?
Roserade: Heatran, Latias
Rotom: Heatran
Salamence: Depends (I'm forced to pivot a lot)
Scizor: See Metagross
Skarmory: Rotom-H, Heatran, Starmie
Snorlax: Lucario, Skarmory
Starmie: Latias, Rotom-H
Suicune: Starmie, Skarmory
Swampert: Rotom-H, Latias
Tentacruel: Starmie. Rotom-H, Skarmory, Latias
Togekiss: Skarmory, Rotom-H
Tyranitar: Lucario, Skarmory
Vaporeon: Starmie, Rotom-H, Skarmory
Weavile: Skarmory, Heatran
Yanmega: Rotom-H, Skarmory, Heatran
Zapdos: Rotom-H, Latias

Oh yeah, and for the 1% of you who actually read team building processes...http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1538471&postcount=258 :naughty:

Ok, I've blabbered for far too long. Your turn! Help me make this team better because I like it!

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
On rotom, WoW does handle pert, a burnt pert is pretty much useless, except for cursepert who don't care about poison anyways. And yeah, tbolt and WoW does plenty to gross, if you're that worried about zone try hp fighting which also hits ttar hard. Now, also consider reflect and pain split to prolong life.

Sup ero.

I honestly can't figure out the playstyle of this team. It's neither stall or offense. I'm guessing it leads to a Lucario sweep but your team doesn't seem to support it much.

My first issue is Skarmory. It doesn't bring much to the table and I feel that a CB Scizor would be a great addition on this team. It gives you a check against a lot of threats(TTar, Mence Gengar, Latias etc). Most importantly, it can spam U-turn around to help your other mons to come in safely. If you think about it, Skarm and Scizor lure in pretty much the same things(Heatran, Rotom, Zapdos etc)so it doesn't add any more weaknesses. Your Starmie, Heatran and Latias will love switching into these guys after a U-turn. Double priority is also a huge bonus on any team.

Now the rest of the mons. I highly recommend a LO Starmie over you current one. A moveset of Hydro Pump/T-Bolt/Ice Beam/ Rapid Spin will do. It will help you greatly against stall(Hydro Pump first to get rid of Rotom and then spin) and pretty much rapes offensive teams. Why would you wanna trick a scarf onto a Metagross anyway? It's pretty stupid IMO. You're just boosting it's speed to come later and blow something up(and it can revenge Lucario with a scarf). You may also wanna make Heatran your lead to get SR early and confuse your opponent into thinking that it's a lead Tran with Shuca.

Latias needs Draco Meteor. It makes a huge difference on walls such as Swampert and Celebi. A set with Draco Meteor/ Dragon Pulse/ Surf/ Trick is my favorite. T-Bolt will just help you with Empoleon but Empoleon will usually use Latias to set up to the Petaya boost and you will just have to rely on Luke to E-Speed him(Scizor too if you take my advice).

Rotom is ok I guess. If you're too paranoid about SD Luke and Gyara you may wanna use a scarf set(only do that if you switched Starmie to LO). Keep toxic however. If you hit Blissey with it you can bring in Scizor(if you swap Skarm for it :P ) to Pursuit without getting stalled by Wish+Protect and then Latias, Heatran and Starmie can have a party.

Good luck old friend :P

Darklord, you bring some excellent suggestions to the table. As of late Skarmory doesn't seem to be accomplishing much and I do need a physical boost in my team! In terms of defensive / resistance synergy I'm sure a little bit of it will crumble, but Scizor might really help me out offensively. Will Scizor define an actual purpose or playing style for this team, making it some sort of Balance? I'm also thiking of using Tyranitar...

I'll try the rest of the stuff. I know that LO Starmie has received excellent response, but Gyarados might just rip through my entire team. Relating to that, Latias has T-bolt to help it out against Gyarados. I'll consider the other details you mentioned, too! Thanks my old Wi-Fi friend!

scofield - Rotom-H might do well with a little moveset change I guess.

P.S. Whoever 5*ed, thanks.

Need to run some calcs here but I'm pretty sure specs Latias gets the OHKO on Gyara with Draco Meteor anyway. If Gyara is too buffed up with HP and Spdef EVs then it'll probably won't have the speed to beat Heatran. Not to mention that you also have Rotom-H who can counter it. T-Bolt helps helps, however, against Empoleon(it won't show it's face unless your opponent is sure it can set it up) , Suicune(Which you could just trick it anyway if it gets too many CMs) and Vaporeon. Draco Meteor is just too good to overlook. It definitely needs a spot on the set(Over T-Bolt or D-Pulse, it's up to you).

As for Scizor, I just took a glimpse on your threat list and I noticed that Scizor checks most of the stuff that gives you trouble so I recommended it.

Abusing U-turn in the early game is a really good strategy, especially on a team that has Lucario on the wings. It can also pursuit Blissey to open a way for your special attackers(If you lure her with Rotom and hit her with toxic she can't stay in too long to stall your pursuit with protect+wish)

What a great RMT. First thing came in mind was: everytime when Gengar can come in, he can kill one of your Pokémon. Scizor will deal with that by using Pursuit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)