Up the punxxx

I'm quite a fan of pop-ska and pop-punk stuff, so I guess I'm not exactly the most "hardcore" listener. Some of my favorite punk bands are Goldfinger, The Suicide Machines, Save Ferris, The Vandals, No Doubt (Yeah, despite Gwen Stefani being in there, it's technically Ska which is technically punk), and of course the big classics like The Clash and The Dead Kennedys.

I'm not much of a concert goer, but I once saw Goldfinger live. It's rare enough when a(n) artist/group that I like performs nearby, and then there's always whether or not it's convenient, money, etc. :(

I actually got to play with a couple of the suicide machines at a party. They are from my home town and they were at a party (this is awhile after they broke up), and we were all drunk. I only had an accoustic bass but it was fun.

I used to be really into punk back when I was in high school.

I really liked/like Gold Finger a lot...
I am a HUGE Reel Big Fish fan, I have seen them near 10 or so times, although I don't really know what to call them.
I was into Rancid with out come the wolves but... Not so much after that.
There was a local band I enjoyed called Bang Bang, which I miss so much. Sounded a lot like older punk in a way.
The Clash and The Ramones always will hold a spot in my heart.

I was REALLY into My Chemical Romance back when they made their FIRST cd, I Brought You My Bullets... but as soon as they came out with that Im Not Okay shit on that shitty second cd I could not stick around much longer. I think I fooled myself into believing they were good for a few months after that cd came out and about 3 months in I was like... Oh my god this is terrible.

AFI, back in the days of Black Sails In The Sunset and back... Oh man, I miss them.
Alkaline Trio too, I love God Damnit, and I actually really like Good Mourning.
TIGER ARMY had me in awe the first time I heard them. I was literally in Awe.

Well Wikey, I think that may be painting the brush too broadly. It does not seem from an outside perspective as if Relient K do not seriously enjoy themselves and make music for their personal reasons, they just make ridiculous pop punk music instead of serious punk music. Not many Christian bands seem to ever want to make seriously hard music, or overreact and make metal music that tries so badly to be hard, while failing, that it becomes ridiculous in a worse way. Thrice is a whole different subject than most of the bands he mentioned, except maybe MxPx who I believe dilly dallied about deciding if they were really a true christian band or not as it suited their needs..I could be misremembering.

I do not know about the members, but Craig's Brother is a California band. I do not know if you could really attribute anything to them from that, I guess they kind of have some remnants of surf rock music in them.

mattj I played in a church band, but far from punk so I cannot really tell any life stories or anything.

I like NoFX, and some stuff by The Sex Pistols and The Ramones too, but my favourite punk-band (though it is actually post-punk, I think) is pretty damn good, with some interesting instruments and stuff involved.

You didn't actually mention the name of this pretty damn good post-punk band. Unless of course the name of the group is Pretty Damn Good, and you forgot to capitalize it.

maybe My Favorite Punk Band (Though It Is Actually Post-Punk, I Think) is the name of the band. that's totally what i would name my band.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
mattj I played in a church band, but far from punk so I cannot really tell any life stories or anything.
Lol, we've played here and there in different towns for like fairs and town concerts and stuff, but nothing big. It's been fun. We got shut down at a Church down the interstate aways one time for sounding and acting "too worldly" (even though we had what were obviously overt Christian lyrics up on the church projector) lolololololool that was a fun show. Haters gonna hate. It's like, idunno, I don't suppose that secular punk bands have to deal with it (and please, correct me if I'm wrong and you guys do), but it's kind of frustrating when the audience you want and expect to listen to your stuff tends to not want to, but other audiences do. So far it's been more of a blessing than a curse.

First off - great thread! I've discussed Christian Punk with Mattj before on IRC, so I won't go into that. I had a pop-punk band of my own in college, but we never recorded anything. I also recorded a noisy, nihilistic mid-tempo thing about five years ago that I can't seem to find a copy of anywhere. Nowadays, I just jam out by myself since I'm married and have a pretty demanding job. Well, here's a list of great acts I've enjoyed over the years. Just as a heads-up for the curious, some of this might be too caustic to listen to at first:

1) Flipper - I fucking love flipper. My two favorite songs are "Sacrifice" and "Ever". The lyrics still blow my mind after 15 years of listening to them.

2) Crossed Out - My favorite Power Violence act. I used to listen to "Selfserve" (sometimes listed as "Selfish Achiever") on a continuous loop when I worked graveyards at 7-11 after finishing college. I wonder if that's why we never got robbed?

3) Sham 69 - I've been listening to Oi! since high school when the some of the other art geeks started wearing boots and braces, and they still do to this day. I just recently bought a compilation of the first few albums and loved it. Their first record is their strongest.

4) Angry Samoans - These guys were such a strong act. I had the privilege of seeing them in Orlando a few years ago. Metal Mike, the singer, is a big homophobe and refused to sing the song "They Saved Hitler's Cock" due to the line "And now it's starting to get hard/ I plant it in my backyard". So when the band played the song, I managed to get on stage and sing it. I made sure to put my arm around Metal Mike when I sang that line, and made a butt-thrusting gesture in the process. That was one of the best nights of my life.

5) Turbonegro - Jesus, these guys rock!

Well, there's my short list. Hope you guys like it.

[youtube]azVp2AIc5FY[/youtube]

Probably my favorite genre of music. The song targets mass media and is essentially any hipster's wet dream.

[youtube]AP3W6RU4hx8[/youtube]

Crass is arguably the most influential Punk band of all time. They've gone through many singers over the years, male and female. Penis Envy is probably my favorite album. Even though its surprisingly feminist, the entire album is quite catchy and proves a point.

[youtube]QP2cOXCTroA[/youtube]

Bouncing Souls is one of those punk bands that are about just having a good time with your buddies and stuff. They have maintained the same lineup since there formation because of how good of friends they are and most of there songs express there 'bromances'.

[youtube]b0-jUDsosmg[/youtube]

Someone earlier mentioned how they missed old AFI, and with good reason. Black Sails in the sunset is an amazingly poetic and emotional album that taps into my heart from beginning to end.

[youtube]XiirtxKSDdc[/youtube]

I consider Rise against as the 'starter kit' band for anyone looking to get into the 'punk' scene. There relatively new coming out in the past ten years or so.The song Im posting is off there sophomore album and is one of the best punk songs to come out in a long time.

Crass is the most influential in crust punk. G.B.H., the Casualties, and the Exploited would be most influential in street punk. And Wormrot would be most influential in the grindcore scene.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Look my avatar is Kim Deal, am I doing it right?

One of my top 5 albums is The Clash self-titled so that's something, and The Breeder's Mountain Battles and Title TK are up there as well. I have a hard time differentiating punk from alternative rock. Like are The Sugarcubes punk or alt rock? Does it matter? Same thing for the Pixies and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I think punk is more of an attitude than a clearly defined sound.

Also I have sung and played piano in punk and ska bands.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Guys guys guys

[youtube]4aYbMqxQzw4[/youtube]

Liotta's a pop punk band from somewhere around Pittsburgh. I went to a show they played with a friend (I didn't know about it until the night of, actually) and they put on such a good show. The guys in the band are all pretty cool people too. They're playing a show in April with aforementioned friend's punk band, The Young Giants. The link goes to their Facebook page and their demo is free on Mediafire. The closest you can get to classifying them is indie punk (they call themselves post-garage-dino-core-punk-gaze-space-revival for the lulz) so yeah.

tl;dr check out the fucking bands.

Also, Repulsion is pretty influential as far as grindcore goes.

Definitely not THE MOST influential. Maybe top 5 but with bands like the Clash, the Sex Pistols, the Ramones, Fugazi etc., I can't see you putting them ahead.
I put them ahead of those bands because Crass' popularity stemmed from essential 'punk' routes unlike these so called 'punk' bands that you listed. Crass gained its fame through word of mouth and DIY ideologies. The Clash, the Sex Pistols, and the Ramones were basically just entrepreneurs who cashed in on the British punk wave of the time(which Crass helped form) by bringing it to the mainstream. This in term went against true punk ideologies because they used mainstream marketing to attribute there success. They perpetuated the need for a revolution, but at the same time used this 'revolution' to fuel the greed of the music industry.

tl;dr - those bands are posers compared to Crass

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I 100% agree with you about the ramones and the sex pistols, but I would argue that you can't cash in on something by bringing it to the mainstream (it just makes no sense to me) and if you do it doesn't cheapen your art. Commodification does not necessarily mean commercialization or a watering down of the sound for the mass audiences.

Well yeah one who has never heard of punk music before and listens to the Clash(seems to be a favorite here on Smogon) could genuinely relate to the music. But I myself just so happened to get into Crass before hand and actually delve into punk culture. After doing so I realized those bands (in my opinion) took away from the culture more than it gave.

Um. Napalm Death? Carcass? Terrorizer?
I don't know if you're in the Grindcore scene or what you think grindcore is, but Wormrot is the most influential band.

I put them ahead of those bands because Crass' popularity stemmed from essential 'punk' routes unlike these so called 'punk' bands that you listed. Crass gained its fame through word of mouth and DIY ideologies. The Clash, the Sex Pistols, and the Ramones were basically just entrepreneurs who cashed in on the British punk wave of the time(which Crass helped form) by bringing it to the mainstream. This in term went against true punk ideologies because they used mainstream marketing to attribute there success. They perpetuated the need for a revolution, but at the same time used this 'revolution' to fuel the greed of the music industry.

tl;dr - those bands are posers compared to Crass

Oh god, another revisionist "I'm not-new-but-still-new-to-punk" kid.
The Ramones didn't make shit while they were a band. They wanted to have radio hits, but never did while they were together. Only after did they big. The Sex Pistols were the only fabricated band and they ripped off Television and the Ramones. Don't even start with that "true punk" ideology bullshit.

A unified punk ideology is really hard to define, but if you're looking to get to the roots of true punk, look no further than the early New York art-punks and punk poets.

[youtube]a7L0IYPXKj8[/youtube]

[youtube]xxygqSTO1lQ[/youtube]

[youtube]z5y7JzndLvE[/youtube]

[youtube]66wxY8H4Mu0[/youtube]

I don't know if you're in the Grindcore scene or what you think grindcore is, but Wormrot is the most influential band.
I'm not gonna pretend I know anything about the modern grindcore scene. All I know is that grindcore has been around since the early 80s and Wormrot wasn't even formed until 2007. I'm not trying to diss Wormrot or anything, Dirge was a cool album (never got around to listening to their debut), I'm just saying to call Wormrot the most influential band in a genre that's been around over 30 years when they've only been around 5 or so, and only had music out like 3 or so, seems kind of odd to me.

Also lol at johnnyrolo's ridiculousness. I would like to specifically address the issue of the Clash. The idea that somehow because the Clash were on a major label they were just looking for cash is ridiculous. The Clash essentially conned their record label into selling London Calling as a double LP for the price of 1 (they second disc was originally just supposed to be a bonus single, then they just kept adding more and more songs to it). When CBS wouldn't let The Clash sell their next album, the triple LP Sandinista!, for the price of 1 album, they choose to cut their royalties for the album so that it could be released at a low price.

Also lol at johnnyrolo's ridiculousness. I would like to specifically address the issue of the Clash. The idea that somehow because the Clash were on a major label they were just looking for cash is ridiculous. The Clash essentially conned their record label into selling London Calling as a double LP for the price of 1 (they second disc was originally just supposed to be a bonus single, then they just kept adding more and more songs to it). When CBS wouldn't let The Clash sell their next album, the triple LP Sandinista!, for the price of 1 album, they choose to cut their royalties for the album so that it could be released at a low price.
Sorry but I dont see how adding more tracks to an album is considered 'duping' or 'conning' a record label that they are signed to at all. The record label just makes them sign a contract its up to the artist how they want to fulfill the contract agreement. Edit: And as for this whole'Sandinista' schmeal your giving me : Great, they make a hit album and want to follow it up with second hit album? Yeah lots of mainstream artists tend to do that, it doesnt make them not sellouts of punk culture/ideologies.

Because they only had permission to release the second disc as a bonus single instead of a full album, and the record label would have wanted to charge more if they new it was a full LP? This is entirely missing the point though; the point is the Clash got their double album sold for the price of a single for their fans, and when the record company wouldn't let them do it again for their triple album follow up, they cut their own profits to keep the album price down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)