Up the punxxx

Because they only had permission to release the second disc as a bonus single instead of a full album, and the record label would have wanted to charge more if they new it was a full LP? This is entirely missing the point though; the point is the Clash got their double album sold for the price of a single for their fans, and when the record company wouldn't let them do it again for their triple album follow up, they cut their own profits to keep the album price down.
No the point is this:
They perpetuated the need for a revolution, but at the same time used this 'revolution' to fuel the greed of the music industry.
They describe the punk culture in their songs, but they are essentially defeating the purpose of being an actual punk band if they help there enemy.This isnt just about the music industry but the exchange economy as a whole and Im sorry if that got misconstrued.

If anything, the "revolution" was about a DIY ideology. Basically, anyone can make music the way they want to make music. Honestly, the fact that Mick Jones took the band in a more pop-oriented direction in a scene that was growing needlessly stale and opposed to diversity was one of the most punk things he could have done.

[youtube]q3Yl4ehzX-o[/youtube]

Punk.

It wasn't growing needlessly stale at all, it was during the climax of the British punk wave...and no going against punk ideals does not make you an ideal punk, it makes you the opposite of punk which I guess would be somewhat of a new age hippie? IDK that would probably make people rage if I started calling The Clash a bunch of hippies but it is sort of funny to think about. Anyways I want to post about British punk band I've started listening to due to reading this thread and it sparking interest in me again.

[youtube]Ra2aPaqxT1o[/youtube]

the Mob were an Anarcho-Punk band from Enlgland that formed in the late 1970's 1980's. They released there LP "Let the Tribe Increase" under Crass Records. It's a pretty good album, if your into punk or want to get into Crass and DIY stuff check 'em out.

I don't think anyone likes major record labels. Thing is, in the grand scheme of evils in the world, they're rather on the short list. jonnyrolo, you seem to have this idea that major record labels are the enemy. At the end of the day, a major record label only wants to make as much money as possible, like any business. The harm comes from when a record label forces a band to change or water down their sound to appeal to the masses and make more money, thus harming artistic integrity. There is nothing wrong with being signed to a major label as long as you can hold on to that integrity. I would argue that The Clash held on to theirs. There is, however, and advantage of a major label; distribution. More people get to hear what you have to say when you're on a major label. The Clash were able to spread their message to all kinds of people. The Crass, on the other hand, while a good band, were mostly preaching to the choir; their staunchly anti corporate stances led them to mostly play for people who were already also staunchly anti corporate. (I don't want to really get into this but also the Crass' social ideals were moronic at times; while It's commendable that the Crass were able to take the punk anarchy sentiment past it's almost cartoonish Sex Pistols roots into an actual political platform, anarchy will never be a feasible form of government).

Also, the punk scene WAS growing stale, and quickly. Classic punk is a great genre but it's essentially a musical dead end; there are only so many chords you can bash out. By the start of the 80s the original scene had, for the most part, imploded in on itself. The remnants of the original punk scene were picked up and shaped into either post punk or hardcore, depending on what side of the Atlantic you lived on.

Also, another small note. I was about to call out this entire exchange as foolish and detracting from the music, but then I thought about it and remembered the simple fact that punk is really only partially about the music anyway. It's almost equally about ideology.

"Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself" - The Dead Kennedys

Adding to DVM: major record labels want to sell records. So, if a band is already popular, why would they want to fuck with the formula? The Clash were doing great and major labels let them do their thing. Also, had they not signed on, their songs wouldn't be as widely known, and, surprise surprise, they wouldn't have inspired more people to try to be "punk."

Guess what: there's no actual "sound" for the punk movement. Blondie sounds nothing like Dickie Hell who sounds nothing like Talking Heads. But hey, they were all punk because they all played their music their own way. Trying to pigeonhole punk into a singular sound is exactly why the movement died long ago and the genre was born. "Hey, I sound like Johnny Thunders!" Congratu-fucking-lations, that doesn't make you punk. It makes you sound like the punk stereotype.

Irregardless, this thread needs less unimportant bickering and more fucking punk music, am I right?

[youtube]LiSO0Z8kFXE[/youtube]

Let's agree to disagree. You think some punk acts "sold out" to the "enemy." DVM and I think punk doesn't have enemies, because it's an all inclusive movement. This argument is honestly played out and boring x.x

Im not sure you read this but it sort of ties in with what Im about to say:

Well yeah one who has never heard of punk music before and listens to the Clash(seems to be a favorite here on Smogon) could genuinely relate to the music. But I myself just so happened to get into Crass before hand and actually delve into punk culture. After doing so I realized those bands (in my opinion) took away from the culture more than it gave.
Sure distribution COULD work and be a good thing but do you honestly believe that was the case here? The Clash can sell there message to more people, but it probably isnt possible to touch as deeply or as powerfully as say putting their message through the underground scene.Reason being is that you can understand and be fully committed to the message, but the band itself remains up on this high pedestal you place them on as musicians,artists, and heroes. On the other hand the underground route allows you to interact with people on a more personal level, and make it clear that everyone is actually capable of doing what they do. Thus they could have the potential to spark more bands, essentially keeping the scene alive by expanding the underground. The punk scene would be big enough and well known enough by now that the message could truly get spread like The Clash did only without having to work within the mainstream market. Now given this theory is correct ( protip: it is) The Clash's integrity certainly is at stake, for committing and trusting in the music industry's major record labels too much. It couldnt have been hard for such resourceful 'punks' to come to this conclusion on their own, they could have taken a more decentralized approach, but they chose not to. They chose to inflate the punk scene into a 'movement' if you will, something it wasnt ready for, contributing to the punk scene, as you put it DVM, imploding on itself.

Getting angry at any band for signing with a record label is like getting angry at a farmer for distributing his food in a grocery store.

trololololol...ahem. Ironically enough, Alan brings up an interesting point so I'll use his post to craftily segue in the next video I'm about to post to keep this thread alive.

[youtube]At-YPyVW9R8[/youtube]

Punk rock band Rise Against' newest video shines light on a growing problem that is often overlooked: American Agriculture. While I'm not too knowledgeable of the statistics the idea is that industrialized farms are threatening the lives of many rural communities who rely on independent farmers to stimulate their economy. Independent farmers cant keep up with industrial farmers and have taken there toll in this rotten economy. How can we fix this? Well if you live in a rural area the best way would be to do a tiny bit of research as to where your grocery stores produce is coming from. Also there is usually fresh produce stands on street corners set up by independent farmers that you could buy from and at the same time help out. On a side note the song is a remake of an old Bob Dylan song. Im not sure how it ties in to the issue but its Rise against, so of course its nice on the ears.

[youtube]SCHR4IM9NGo[/youtube]

In case you havent noticed by now, I love Rise against. Ive been listening to them for at least 8 years now, and I love every single one of their albums.

Lead singer of Against Me! just came out saying he is going to get a sex change operation. ._.
Why that face? There's nothing wrong with that. It's who he sees himself as and it's his life.

For someone that claims to be love punk you really don't understand the first thing about it.

It's a sensitive issue and the attitude you seemed to show in your post is one kind of attitude that makes life so hard for people struggling with gender identity. I don't think Gabe was particularly nasty in their response.

Well Im truly sorry then. I honestly am surprised though, I used to go to Against Me! shows before they became widely popular and didnt even realize he was probably struggling with gender identity then too. He has a wife and a kid and hasnt said anything about it up until now so it was just so unexpected to me. Again Im sorry, I was just trying to relay this new information to the thread.

Well Im truly sorry then. I honestly am surprised though, I used to go to Against Me! shows before they became widely popular and didnt even realize he was probably struggling with gender identity then too. He has a wife and a kid and hasnt said anything about it up until now so it was just so unexpected to me. Again Im sorry, I was just trying to relay this new information to the thread.
maybe you should have listened to the disco before the breakdown a bit more carefully

i've really into pop-punk

Kid Liberty - Coolguy Deluxe! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMyOpTctQng

This Time Next Year - Out on an Eastern http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhbS3b9KbLI

Handguns - Best Excuse http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa3KCmsfxeg

New Found Glory - Summer Fling, Don't Mean A Thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1w61bTlizc

Set Your Goals - Look Closer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coEfVupgnXA

and other random shit like The Movielife, Magrudergrind, Punch. the former 2 aren't pop-punk by any means whatsoever but fucking ridiculously awesome if you're into powerviolence/hardcore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)