Unpopular opinions

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I honestly don't think people give enough credit to the importance of Ash losing the League the first time around. Yeah yeah it just became kinda sad and pathetic after that "twist" was repeated ad nauseum until they decided at Alola that enough was enough, but the first time around I'm willing to wager that depicting the star of a popular children's TV series flat-out losing the big final challenge was probably genuinely shocking for the young viewers at the time, dare I say incredibly ballsy as well as a potentially striking lesson about how you can't always win big events like that. Again, it's a shame that the same old song and dance kept being repeated until it completely lost all meaning and just became routine, but we should try to forget that as best we can when thinking over its big role the first time around.

Also he kinda deserved it. All his badges were gained unfairly, except for Viridian City
Then Gen 2 after gaining Charizard's trust he becomes "that 1 kid that spams OP mons". Then it bites him REALLY hard
Then he realizes he's needs to better himself for Charizard. And he does late Gen 2 and 3
3 he even mentors May...despite some scuffles. Also he refuses to take Wattson's badge cuz of an unfair advantage. Shows how he grew compared to Gen 1 "cheating"

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I honestly don't think people give enough credit to the importance of Ash losing the League the first time around. Yeah yeah it just became kinda sad and pathetic after that "twist" was repeated ad nauseum until they decided at Alola that enough was enough, but the first time around I'm willing to wager that depicting the star of a popular children's TV series flat-out losing the big final challenge was probably genuinely shocking for the young viewers at the time, dare I say incredibly ballsy as well as a potentially striking lesson about how you can't always win big events like that. Again, it's a shame that the same old song and dance kept being repeated until it completely lost all meaning and just became routine, but we should try to forget that as best we can when thinking over its big role the first time around.
Actually one of the Youtubers I watch, Suede (a former Channel Awesome contributor who originally went as "That Dude in the Suede", he was an anime reviewer and while he still does now and again he started a project of reviewing every episode of Pokemon) said pretty much the same thing about Ash losing the Indigo League and, among other lessons it taught, it also taught that "Failure is not the end of the journey". He says so at the end of his review of Episode 79 (the episode Ash loses to Ritchie) and repeated in Episode 80.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Here's another spicy take: RTDX is the exact same as SwSH for how it was done. The only difference was not lying
I assume you mean in terms of not having the complete pokedex and yeah, you're right. That said, the mechanical and genre differences between the mystery dungeon and main series make it both less important as well as making an attempt to include every Pokemon a poor game choice. Stat variance isn't near as strong in the mystery dungeon series, making Pokemon choice significantly less impactful than it is for competitive mons, and the rougelike system means a focus on a relatively small number of teammates is rewarded.

Fun fact, RTDX has an extremely comparable number of Pokemon to SwSh (it actually has more than the base games before transfers, 418 to 413 including Alolan forms unless I messed up somewhere). Unlike SwSh, however, Mystery Dungeon never has supported transferring and so if it wanted to include the full roster it'd need to put them all somewhere. Which would be a pretty huge venture, way beyond the scope of just a remake, since it'd definitely require making a ton of new dungeons.

Anyone else dislike how Sugimori's Digital art after 2001 became extremely washed out or neon?
There's a reason I said *after* 2001 cuz he DID mess with digital as early as 1997
Before I found the color tone still good, despite preferring the watercolor

But then Gen 3 he was inconsistent on contrast. These are both from Ruby/Sapphire

The Grunts look way paler than Wattson here. Even some Pokemon look washed out compared to others
Then later TCG and FRLG cemented the low contrast pallete. I'm still wondering whether he's anticipating for CYMK printed colors, or if he just figured it'd be easier on the eyes
As for "Neon", certain humans in FRLG are fault of this. Them pants...

Still wondering why he became a redhead, but at least he's not Kris and Ethan in HGSS
Yeah, despite it being the art I grew up on, looking back, the gen 3 art... wasn't great. While I used to dislike the earlier watercolor artwork (mostly because most of the times I saw it, it was in guidebooks that used it only for a few Johto mons, so it looked very out of place) I've recently come to enjoy it. I especially like how color is used mostly as shading, and any area that is even remotely lit tends to be pure white. It's a cool look. That said, I think Ken's art has greatly improved since gen 3, to the point where I think I prefer his modern art to the original watercolors. While their shading might not be as interesting as the watercolors, their color pallets aren't as flat as flat as the gen 3 art, and they are generally more expressive with their faces, posing, and costumes. To make direct comparison easier, let's compare the artwork in RSE and FRLG with the artwork in ORAS, HGSS, and Let's Go.

Actually, I learned something interesting as I searched the Bulbagarden Archives for official art. Some of y'all might have already known this, but it seems Ken Sugimori hasn't been the only official artist since at least ORAS (upon further inspection, since at least HGSS). Several of the ORAS character artworks and seemingly all of the ones from Let's Go were drawn by Megumi Mizutani, not Ken. This means that some of the modern art that led me to prefer the style over the original watercolors isn't the result of Ken's artstyle evolving, but rather the work of someone completely different. To further complicate matters, most of the newer art isn't attributed to a specific artist. I'm still going to include this uncredited art in this comparative gallery, but I will be sure to note when it happens, as some of them might not actually be depicting an evolution of Ken's art. If anyone can track down sources for these, that would be much appreciated.

Let's start with FRLG vs HGSS, as it's the shorter time gap, thus will show the first steps of the evolution of Ken's art.
Brock (new art uncredited)

Misty (new art uncredited)

Lt. Surge (new art uncre- you know what, I'm gonna use NAU from now on)

Erika (NAU)

Koga (NAU)

Sabrina (NAU)

Blaine (NAU)

Bruno (NAU)

Lance (NAU)

Did the Kanto Elite 4 seriously never have their FRLG art published online? All they have on Bulbagarden are print scans.

Blue (NAU)

Rocket Grunts (NAU)

Not a huge difference, but the colors in HGSS are better for the most part. Most costume and pose changes are minor or otherwise sidegrades, but I really like Dapper Blaine and Lowered Shades Surge. While all the new art is uncredited on Bulbagarden, I'm pretty sure most of it is still from Ken, as it resembles the style used in his unique TCG art at the time. Though I'm pretty sure the grunts were drawn by Takao Unno, who drew the Rocket Admins and uses a different shading style.

Brendan (NAU)

May (NAU)

Roxanne (NAU)

Brawly (NAU)

Wattson (NAU)

I switched them around because Wattson sharing a big laugh with his parallel universe counterpart is the most wholesome thing I've seen all day.

Flannery (NAU)

Norman (NAU)

Wallace (NAU)

Sidney (NAU)

Phoebe (NAU)

Glacia

Finally, new art that's directly attributed to Ken!

Drake

Maxie

Magma Grunts (NAU)

Shelly (NAU)

I'm not sure if that's actually Ken's original Shelly or a spot-on fan recreation, because official artwork of her is inexplicably rare (not even Bulbapedia has it). I couldn't find art for any of the other admins. I'm not even sure they have art. I'd wager the only reason Shelly's original art survived at all is because she's hot. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing Shelly's art in my Emerald instruction booklet, but I couldn't find my copy, and free pdfs of Emerald instruction booklets are no where to be found on the internet.

Aqua Grunts (NAU)

Youngster

Lady (new art originally credited to Ken, but later uncredited)

Sailor

Aside from Wattson, who's just as perfect now as he was in gen 3, I think most of the new art is much more expressive, especially Brawly, Flannery, Sidney, Drake, and the grunts. However, many of these are likely to not actually be Ken's work.

That discussion on artwork would be nice if most of the images showed up

One nitpick I have regarding HGSS (and to an extent GSC) is that the Pokemon Mansion/Power Plant theme got left in the dust and therefore wasn't redone in the DS remakes, and I find it somewhat disappointing. As far as I know that and one other track I can't remember rn were the only ones (unless you count FRLG Sevii Island ones but those were in turn remakes of Jotho tracks so)

Attachments

I assume you mean in terms of not having the complete pokedex and yeah, you're right. That said, the mechanical and genre differences between the mystery dungeon and main series make it both less important as well as making an attempt to include every Pokemon a poor game choice. Stat variance isn't near as strong in the mystery dungeon series, making Pokemon choice significantly less impactful than it is for competitive mons, and the rougelike system means a focus on a relatively small number of teammates is rewarded.

Fun fact, RTDX has an extremely comparable number of Pokemon to SwSh (it actually has more than the base games before transfers, 418 to 413 including Alolan forms unless I messed up somewhere). Unlike SwSh, however, Mystery Dungeon never has supported transferring and so if it wanted to include the full roster it'd need to put them all somewhere. Which would be a pretty huge venture, way beyond the scope of just a remake, since it'd definitely require making a ton of new dungeons.
I mean literally using 3DS model and anims from GTi/Super, and using Wiiware's inferior sound effects since. Also that ingame filter is very poor, and the actual game watercolor art looks a lot better
What you said about the Dex kind of is sad though.
There is a benefit to RTDX though. RT gate keeping with HMs was polarizing (like Main game). Friend areas were difficult to navigate in late game, though Explorers sign is enough to show you can do that....without outright nuking Friend Areas
Also learned movesets from Super (except Psyduck), buffed multihit moves, and Recruiting till 8 made the game way easier, along with Megas
And....sadly the files indicated this game was made way earlier, meant to be a Gen 7 game

That discussion on artwork would be nice if most of the images showed up

One nitpick I have regarding HGSS (and to an extent GSC) is that the Pokemon Mansion/Power Plant theme got left in the dust and therefore wasn't redone in the DS remakes, and I find it somewhat disappointing. As far as I know that and one other track I can't remember rn were the only ones (unless you count FRLG Sevii Island ones but those were in turn remakes of Jotho tracks so)
Fixed!

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
Lemme just quickly check that this is the unpopular opinions thread.

Okay, I didn’t really want to see Ash win a league at all.

1) The Pokemon anime is pretty much the definition of “more about the journey than the destination”.

2) People who act like never winning one is pathetic are, I think, not recognizing that (a) winning a tournament of most of the best trainers in a whole region is or should be extraordinarily difficult and (b) there’s a reason the game NPCs always talk so much about what an incredible prodigy the player character is. Winning a league is, in-universe, really really really hard. Check your privilege?

3) If Ash is eternally 10, then he’s eternally a young trainer at the early end of a long journey. He didn’t need to reach such a high peak so soon.

No hate for Ash finally winning one, and fair enough that they gave him a new goal to chase instead, but I was fine with him always losing at some point.

I also didn't mind Ash losing the league constantly, but for a completely different reason. I never really believed he deserved to win.

One of the big issues I run into with derivative works of video games is the consistency. It's known how every interaction in the world goes down, and anything that doesn't fit with the established rules immediately takes me out of the story. Heck, we don't know how the real world works that well. What this means is that events that might be standard fare in a normal anime are cases of blatantly rewriting the rules in Ash's favour. Even if I were to accept ash-greninja before its game release (I have no reason to do so after its game release, giving up Protean for raw strength is the opposite of how I play pokemon), that still means, by their established rules, I would be waiting for the downside to actually matter: I would want Ash to be legitimately scared for his own life when he risks taking e.g. ferrothorn's power whip for himself. Instead, his big battle is against something that greninja happens to resist, because why would they make a downside they introduced relevant? So, even as far as gen 6, Ash's character is dominated by plot armour, and it was satisfying to see his league opponents show them that being writer's pet isn't enough.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I also didn't mind Ash losing the league constantly, but for a completely different reason. I never really believed he deserved to win.
Eh, let's take a quick look through each league/major competition Ash has gone through before saying that:

Kanto: Suede episode reviews I linked to above, notably for Episode 80, actually addresses this. Ash lost because he got lucky in a few of his early League battles so got cocky, ending with him using a Pokemon he can't control that costed him the match (also not training his Pokemon and using Pokemon he never battled with once). Ritchie was essentially made to be the antithesis to Ash, he was a strategic thinker and came into the battle with a plan and Pokemon he trained well. And with Ritchie using similar Pokemon as Ash used it left Ash simply outmatched.

Orange Island: For a while was technically the exception to the rule Ash loses all Leagues he entered... though Orange Islands don't exist in the games and most people only care/count the Leagues which came from the games. Also Ash didn't have to battle in a tournament, once he got all the Badges he automatically could challenge the OI Champion.
Still, him winning against Drake was nothing to shrug off. Drake had a pretty strong line-up, or at least the writers we able to make us believe that. Starting off he used a Ditto which gimmick was copying whatever Pokemon the opponent sent out. The announcer said many challengers never get past Ditto as they don't know how to handle the mirror matches. This doesn't just show that Drake's Pokemon are all tough and have their own unique challenge, but subtly hint how good of a trainer Drake is. He doesn't know what Pokemon a trainer is bringing in yet in mirror matches he's able to command Ditto to defeat a trainer's entire team. No wonder when the little guy came in it was flexing... and when Ash defeated it without losing any of his Pokemon showed Ash was a step above most other trainers.
Drake's next four Pokemon was just a show of power and that Drake has trained a diverse team. Onix size provided an intimidation factor and used Dig to make the opponent worry about the floor it stood on (it also could grab a hold of you but in this case was its downfall as it did this against Ash's Squirtle which can spray water from all holes in its shell...), Gengar was a trickster using Confuse Ray and Hypnosis, Venusaur was a bulky wall that even a toss from Tauros didn't stop it from using Solar Beam in midair, and Electabuzz was both a brawler and powerhouse.
And then finally was his Dragonite. They purposely made his Dragonite overpowered by letting it use as many moves it needed to do to seem invincible. Despite how tough all the other battles were Ash actually went up against Dragonite with 4 Pokemon. However it took no time for Dragonite to knock out 3 of them (which includes Charizard that Dragonite defeated by grabbing it during Seismic Toss and slamming it into the ground instead). It even took a second to send Team Rocket blasting off before facing Pikachu in a dragout battle where Pikachu barely won by landing onto Dragonite's head and unleashing the strongest Thunder it could muster.
So while Ash didn't go through a tournament to challenge Drake, him defeating Drake and entered into the Orange Island's Hall of Fame was well deserved due to how overpowered they made Dragonite not to mention how tough of challenge Drake's team was.

Johto: Ash's lost in Johto was a bit on the iffy side as it was essentially to advertise Gen III. Still, you could say that, while Ash was more experienced and had a better trained team (plus his reserves and a Charizard that listens to him), Ash lost was due to him being unable to adapt to a mystery opponent. That's not to say Harrison's other Pokemon didn't provide a challenge, both him and Ash sharing knock outs, but it was definitely Blaziken's show as it took down Ash's Charizard. Of course the battle did leave Harrison in a bad place as Blaziken was too tired to fight in the next match and Harrison was knocked out next, so even though Ash lost he still left a lasting impact (oh, and let's not forget that just before Harrison that Ash defeated Gary which was probably the more important match to be honest).

Hoenn: Tyson was just a really tough trainer, infact he went on to win the Ever Grande Conference so you could say Ash was facing a pseudo-Champion. Another factor was that Ash didn't use any of his reserves, and while his Hoenn team was a pretty good line-up, it had a hard time holding a candle to Tyson's which included a Metagross. You could also say Tyson had a special Pokemon with his Meowth-In-Boots, both it and Pikachu having such a tough battle they did the anime trope where both are too exhausted to battle so the first to fall loses... and in this case it was Pikachu. Tyson was pretty much an example of "there's always someone better than you".

Battle Frontier: Let us not forgot the other major victory Ash had and it was something from the games: beating the Gen III Battle Frontier! The Battle Frontier arc actually showed how much good of a trainer Ash can be when the battles aren't exactly your standard fare. Ash's strongest aspect, at least at this point in the series, is being able to adapt to quickly changing battle situations. And this was what the Battle Frontier was all about, having these unique battle scenarios that most trainers may struggle keeping up with but Ash excels at. It's no wonder he impressed Scott so much he was invited to become a Frontier Brain. Of course he denied as he wanted to continue travelling, though curious if that position is still open for him (too bad Sinnoh skipped it's Battle Frontier as we could maybe have had a follow-up...).

Sinnoh: Ash did everything right this league. His team was pretty top-notch, he was using his reserves to full effect, seems like the only way for there to be someone better than Ash was if said trainer was using Legendaries!... And that's exactly what the writers did. Yes, we've now come to a turning point where Ash's loses aren't as much of his own experience and decisions and more just the writers not wanting him to win so creates a trainer seemingly just for that purpose. I could believe Ritchie, Harrison, and Tyson just being ordinary trainers that Ash just so happened to have to battle. Tobias on the other hand only exists so Ash would lose. Of course Ash was going to lose a guy who uses Legendaries. Heck, I'm sure he'll probably blast through the Elite Four with minor difficulties and may have a more challenging battle against Cynthia. At least Ash did knockout Tobias's Darkrai and Latios to show how far Ash has gone that he's even able to defeat Legendaries somewhat reliably (note the opponent Tobias faced in the finals didn't even knock out Darkrai).

Unova: AHH! F*** THIS LEAGUE. At the very least they didn't throw out random Legendaries for Ash to lose against, but then again the way Ash lost made him look pathetic. He lost to a trainer who only brought 5 Pokemon to a full battle because he's too stupid to realize a full party is 6 Pokemon (said trainer also through the Unova League was taking place IN JOHTO). Yes, we're talking about Cameron, who also thought you only needed 7 Badges to enter a League so Ash & co. had to help him several times to even enter the League. And what's Ash's reward? Well Ash honestly beat Cameron's other 4 Pokemon fairly easily, including his Hydreigon. Unfortunately Cameron also had a Riolu which in the middle of their battle pressed the "I win" button and evolved into Lucario to sweep Ash's team. Ash was also weaker as he didn't have access to his reserves and a lot of his Unova team weren't fully evolved. Though the most frustrating part about this is that they already had a trainer which I think everyone would have felt better for Ash to lose to: Virgil who used an Eeveelution team and who Cameron lost to next round. GAH! Did you really need to shove how awesome Lucario was down our throat that you couldn't have it lose so Ash could then go on and be the one to lose to Virgil instead? *Heavy sigh*

Kalos: Now compared to Tobias and Cameron, Alain wasn't as bad as we did have a side series featuring him as the protagonist. And he did also have an interesting story where he eventually became a member of Team Flare and was Lysandre's top operative. Honestly what I think frustrated people the most about Alain beating Ash was that Alain's signature Pokemon was another super popular Pokemon, Charizard (which could Mega Evolve into Mega Charizard X which was the most popular Mega Charizard), and that Ash's Greninja was given a super special form change making it feel like Ash had finally gotten to that next level and maybe beyond. But nope, despite Super Greninja the one who still won was the guy with the popular Mega Pokemon. However Ash losing also played with the larger story as they needed to have Alain being the more powerful to put Ash in a rough situation (captured by Lysandre as he's interested in Ash's ability to transform Greninja into its unique form) and he's out of the way while Lysandre uses Zygarde to attack Lumiose City.

Alola: ... While I'm glad Ash finally won a major league, at the same time Alola League was kind of disappointing in the way they wrote the battles. Just sticking with the battles Ash was in, his defeat of Hau was just total BS. He should have lost, but instead the writers decided to thrown in a ton of gags concerning Rowlet which narrowly allowed it to have enough time to get serious and beat Decidueye who should have won two times over by the time Rowlet got serious. Oh, let's also not forget that NONE of the battles were full battles (because Ash didn't have a full team...), the only full battle was after Ash became Champion and Kukui challenged him to an exhibition match. And even that gets interrupted by Tapu Koko deciding it wants to do a Z-Move clash with Ash & Pikachu.

... So, with that all said, let me gather my thoughts:
Ash shouldn't win Kanto, Johto & Hoenn as they were the "learning" experience leagues. Each taught him something he brought to the next league to help him become better.
I think Ash should have won Sinnoh. He was at his best with both his regional team and his reserved team. Like you could still have him lose against the Elite Four, you still had that trump card. Infact Sinnoh was the first region which had all four of its Elite Four appeared in the anime (and the only one to have them all meet Ash & co.)!
Unova was an embarrassment, to me proof that the writers no longer had an interest writing a Pokemon anime unless they could turn it into another genre because their creatively bankrupt.
Kalos interest was the overarching story which was alright now looking back on it but still frustrating to the long time fans who thought Ash actually had a chance.
And finally Alola wasn't deserved. Hau should have beaten Ash and the Champion either be Hau or Gladion. Though I guess in the way Alola was the only League Ash could be Champion in as it was its first league so had no idea what it as doing.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
*Hears about Last of Us 2 story leaks*

... You know, while Sword & Shield was yet another missed opportunity for the Pokemon franchise to rise above what it has presented us before, the story is simplified to the point you barely have any impact on what's going on, and the graphics feel like they're catching up to the Wii... but at the very least it doesn't stab you in the back and completely destroy the world that it had built up.

That's my hot take. If you're wondering I just listened to Angry Joe's rant about the story leak. Spoilers, obviously... but if you don't care about the Last of Us 2 then, boy, what they had planned was BAD and really puts things into perspective.

*Hears about Last of Us 2 story leaks*

... You know, while Sword & Shield was yet another missed opportunity for the Pokemon franchise to rise above what it has presented us before, the story is simplified to the point you barely have any impact on what's going on, and the graphics feel like they're catching up to the Wii... but at the very least it doesn't stab you in the back and completely destroy the world that it had built up.

That's my hot take. If you're wondering I just listened to Angry Joe's rant about the story leak. Spoilers, obviously... but if you don't care about the Last of Us 2 then, boy, what they had planned was BAD and really puts things into perspective.
Hahaha, boy that was a mess.

Now guess which game I'm talking about. :psysly:

If Sinnoh remakes are made and they take cues for their design, content additions and story changes from ORAS they will be top-tier Pokemon games, Battle Frontier or not.
Sinnoh's Battle Frontier was lackluster and the remakes are probably not happening this gen unless the DLC bombs hard and they go for the nostalgia bag to recoup.

I do hope the DLC is great and more importantly, has great replayability.

Since you've raised the topic of Sword and Shield's story, here's an unpopular opinion.

I really liked the story before Rose's intervention. I know some dislike that because there is supposed to be a conflict but you are always shoved away from it, but that's actually what I liked: the lack of a conflict.

Before that certain point, it was just the story of four kids trying to take on the Gym Challenge. No criminal team, no world threats. Just a simple, light-hearted story. And I appreciated that. If they had done the Darkest Day in the post-game instead of in the main story (I mean, all Rose had to do is WAIT ONE DAY), I would have dared to say the story was one of the game's strongest points.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Since you've raised the topic of Sword and Shield's story, here's an unpopular opinion.

I really liked the story before Rose's intervention. I know some dislike that because there is supposed to be a conflict but you are always shoved away from it, but that's actually what I liked: the lack of a conflict.

Before that certain point, it was just the story of four kids trying to take on the Gym Challenge. No criminal team, no world threats. Just a simple, light-hearted story. And I appreciated that. If they had done the Darkest Day in the post-game instead of in the main story (I mean, all Rose had to do is WAIT ONE DAY), I would have dared to say the story was one of the game's strongest points.
This is a pretty good summation of my own feelings, but I'm willing to take it one step further: Even with Chairman Rose's sudden and dumb intervention, all it really is a minor fumble. SWSH overall still succeeds at being a laid-back, slice of life-esque story and the Darkest Day stuff doesn't completely nullify that, nor is it totally frivolous as the battle with Eternatus is a pretty big moment for Hop.

oh, thanks! : DHmm... so the main thing that makes me hesitant is just that I don't think the parts that fell short really could have that much to do with the National Pokédex. I would just find it a bit hard to believe that similar people were involved with the story or boss design who were also responsible for implementing core gameplay mechanics, Pokémon and 3D modeling.
That said, if we're considering it not as a theory or an explanation and more just as a hypothetical, then... yes, oh my goodness, I would make that trade in a heartbeat!

I'm not quite certain if this is correct, but I kind of got the impression, at least from Game Freak's explanation of the issue, that it wasn't necessarily something that needed to happen right away so much as a future problem they were trying to address before it was too late.
I mean, I'm sure it's not quite that simple - I would have a very hard time believing that there were no other developmental struggles with Sword and Shield, and I can imagine that whatever was going on with that might have forced their hand as well - but I don't think their claim in the first place was that Generation VIII would necessarily have been the cutoff or that it was impossible to hold off any longer.
Sword and Shield weren't the breaking point in themselves - they were supposed to be, like, the "moderate first impression" of the dex cuts, because it would only get harder to drop compatibility the longer they waited as we all saw from how hard it was just for waiting this long.
In other words, they were counting on Sword and Shield to win everyone over on the premise of a game without every Pokémon so they could be free to do the same in the future.
... yeah, we all know how that turned out.

I think this is the real problem: not that the change happened at all, but that Sword and Shield were the wrong games to introduce it. I think it would always have been controversial at first, but I bet half of the reason Sword and Shield get so much flak for the dex cuts is simply because they wouldn't even be good with every Pokémon.
Like... For most people, compatibility with transfers has no bearing on the experience until the postgame or a subsequent playthrough - from a player perspective, it generally has nothing to do with the quality of the main campaign. And as with Generation VI or VII, even if SwSh did have full transfer compatibility, we would still have waited just as long for HOME to be made compatible - the first three months or so would have been exactly the same as they were now.
The problem is just that Sword and Shield are worse games with or without transfers to be quite honest, I don't know why so many people even want to send their Pokémon permanently to Gen VIII when there's so much more to do with them in every other game, and this was the absolute worst time possible to add the breaking point that would put them under every fan's scrutiny.

The dex cuts aren't the problem with Sword and Shield. Sword and Shield are the problem with the dex cuts.
And if I could choose for that to happen sooner, on a better game than Sword and Shield, in a way that would make a better first impression and actually help people to move past the initial controversy... and in exchange, I could also choose to turn an almost-good-but-unfortunately-mediocre entry into the masterpiece that it could have been... that's not even a trade - both of those would be fantastic as far as I'm concerned!

and then people would stop judging SwSh for the Pokédex and start judging them for everything else they did badly
and then people would stop thinking the only problem anyone has with SwSh is the National Dex and they're otherwise better than Generation VII
and those are a third good thing and a fourth good thing as far as I'm concerned
replying a couple days late but hard-agree with this

overtime, ive begun to side-eye this whole nationaldexer thing. I bet top-dollar if GF decided to reverse their decision and bring back all the Pokes, they would instantly switch and ignore all of the many flaws with Pokemon that have been steadily growing since XY. So basically what they were doing pre-dexit announcement. As much as I love the idea of being able to conquer a region with a team of all of my faves, Dexit is at this point the least of this franchise's (and, on a smaller scale, SWSH's) problems and I'd personally trade it without a backward glance for say a difficulty, or a decent story, or a battle Frontier/good post-game content at this point. SWSH are terrible games with or without Dexit, which says something about how little of an issue it actually is imo.

I agree. The biggest, dumbest thing about SnS's story is how stupid Rose was for literally not waiting one day. Really, Leon said he'd help. It was just a matter of waiting.

The actual focus on the Gym Leader challenge was good and much needed, the stadium atmosphere was hype and honestly, that was exactly what the story was about.

Rose and the weird hair people being post-game episodes would fix the biggest issue the story has, the pacing that was destroyed by Rose's intervention.

replying a couple days late but hard-agree with this

overtime, ive begun to side-eye this whole nationaldexer thing. I bet top-dollar if GF decided to reverse their decision and bring back all the Pokes, they would instantly switch and ignore all of the many flaws with Pokemon that have been steadily growing since XY. So basically what they were doing pre-dexit announcement. As much as I love the idea of being able to conquer a region with a team of all of my faves, Dexit is at this point the least of this franchise's (and, on a smaller scale, SWSH's) problems and I'd personally trade it without a backward glance for say a difficulty, or a decent story, or a battle Frontier/good post-game content at this point. SWSH are terrible games with or without Dexit, which says something about how little of an issue it actually is imo.
Interestingly, I've drifted in the opposite direction. Originally, I would have been okay with ~600 mons and a strong postgame (where my main enjoyment of a lot of games comes from), but I've since realized that my enjoyment of said postgame is highly dependent on having all mons available. I make stupid gimmick teams, than go to the battle facility and pit them against the AI's stupid gimmick sets, then maybe 10 years later I'll actually try to win. Sooner or later, I'm going to look at what I'm doing, realize I happen to need something as ridiculously specific as "gravity and spikes setter from gen 4 or earlier" (actual criteria from a gen 6 team based vaguely on Team Galactic), and be disappointed that Forretress isn't in. Even if the facilities themselves are new and interesting, they can't fix that.

If SWSH was a better game, I probably would have bought it, and I probably wouldn't have regretted that decision. But instead of feeling that the current state of the series is a low point in general, I would have felt that it's leaving my playstyle behind. There's a good chance I'd have less hope for the future of pokemon as a game I can enjoy than I do now.

Regarding the Natdex conversation, I am more concerned that if Gamefreak actually gave us back the Natdex, it would cause other aspects of the game to suffer in quality, or make it behind a paywall. Without the Natdex, the entire game longevity and depth suffers. As much as I want the Natdex (I didn't even buy on Nintendo Switch because I wanted smash and Pokemon, and SwSh is borderline Fallout 76 crap), the consequences of doing so can be chilling as the developers could ignore other criticisms by citing it "pleased" the fans.

On the topic of art design, please see my image below. It is not an argument of how Pokemon X is better, but rather explaining why I think Zacian Crowned's visual design is better than Zamazenta Crowned. It does so on the basis of art principles rather than "Who's more bada**?", "Who is more memetic?", or "Who looks less stupid" and so forth. I don't know if it's "controversial", but I do know people's overall opinions of the duo are all over the place.
Why Zamazenta Has Horribile Visual Design.jpg

EDIT: Also, Gamefreak please have a different art direction for the official game art and boxart. It's bland in posing and boring in color schemes. Try something like below:
ynvahemxqfh31.png

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/csjshy all other images I did

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)