Unnatural - RMT.

Introduction

Okay, my second RMT. Lately I have been making stall teams for the first time, and I've gotten the hang of it. I actually made a few successful ones, but I find that stall is still too boring and it's all about winning and not about the fun of Pokemon anymore. I haven't tried balanced teams or bulky offense, and offensive is still my favorite style of play. Sure, people rage quit and my friends get pissed off at my stall, but offensive games are more fun imo.

Team Building

I've always wanted a team somewhat based on or just included a Choice Band Infernape, so that's what I used. I usually used mixed Infernape or Nasty Plot wall breaker, but Choice Band would be a nice twist. I also used CB Nape back when everyone was on NetBattle and I was a little nooblet fighting Garchomps.

I wanted a different team from what I used to use before, because my old teams were always very similar. Either sandstorm stall with Skarmory, or offensive teams with Flygon, Suicune, and Azelf. I decided to use two Pokemon that I haven't tried much in the past, Shaymin and Kingdra. I figured Kingdra could support Shaymin by eliminating is fire weakness in the rain, and Infernape wouldn't be using Flare Blitz early on anyway. This would make a fire+water+grass offensive core? I wasn't sure if that worked, but I'd give it a try.

As implied earlier, I wanted my team to be rather unique. I had tried Uxie leads before (not TrickScarf!), and they seemed to work quite well.

I added a mixed Metagross. The purpose was surprise, and the fact that I have always hated Metagross, so I would try him out to see if I would change my mind. I hate Kingdra and Shaymin too, so yeah. Metagross also provided a Dragon-type resist that I was lacking.

OMG, I needed a Choice Scarf user. I looked at a type chart (hehe) and I realized that my only resister to Dark and Bug were Infernape, so if it died, Tyranitar or Scizor would screw this team over. I figured Lucario would work, as he has a 4x resistance to both types and is immune to Tyranitar's sandstorm, while providing awesome coverage without Swords Dance taking up a move slot. Again, this team is supposed to use surprise a bit, and getting Lucario to revenge kill Dragonite and Gyarados with +1 speed is awesome, something that Choice Scarf Starmie can't do sometimes because they would just switch out. However, after they have set up, Lucario looks like he's no harm (:

This team was not made with lots of thought, it was put together (not without thought though) quickly, and somehow it seemed to be quite effective. I thought it would have a huge weakness to stall somehow, but I haven't lost very much in a lot of testing. My CRE is like 1200 - 1300 usually, so I'm not a noob, but I'm not the best player around either. All I have to say for that is that I'm quite experienced.

A closer look at the team

Uxie

Item: Leftovers
Nature: Relaxed (+Def -Spe)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Ability: Levitate
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn
- U-Turn
- Psychic

The EVs are fairly straightforward, max out defense to take attacks like U-Turn, Meteor Mash, Explosion, Payback, etc. The Relaxed nature is to boost Defense while keeping Uxie's Special Defense high, and without lowering its attacking power.

Stealth Rock is not the absolute first priority, as Uxie can come back later to set it up. Uxie's huge defenses allow it to come back in any time, and can wall unboosted attacks for a long time before it goes down, even without a recovery move. Uxie can take some boosted physical attacks and use Yawn to stop a sweep, and can usually survive one very strong special attack, such as Gengar's Shadow Ball or Heatran's Overheat. In my experience, Uxie has never been OHKOed, even if the opponent had prior set up. Yawn also works great with U-Turn, as the opponent will usually switch to avoid having their Pokemon put to sleep.

U-Turn damages lead Azelf using Taunt, and Psychic can 3HKO Aerodactyl, and sometimes 2HKO Machamp, while Machamp cannot 2HKO back with Payback. Stealth Rock is used against those who don't use Taunt, and Yawn can be used on walls such as Skarmory and Swampert. If I use Yawn against someone like Metagross, I know that it's gonna explode, so I don't bother.

Uxie can come back later in the game to Yawn set up sweepers, and to absorb status or be a death fodder.

Infernape

Item: Choice Band
Nature: Jolly (+Spe -SpA)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Ability: Blaze
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-Turn
- Stone Edge

This thing is a beast, and in my opinion it is underrated. Mixed Infernape using Life Orb and U-Turn just racks up too much damage (22.5% just switching in to Stealth Rock and using an attack) and will also have a weaker U-Turn. U-Turn can do massive damage to Starmie switching in, and someone else like Uxie or Lucario can finish the job, or Kingdra can come in and set up. Even Close Combat will do a lot of damage to Starmie, KOing weakened ones. Specially defensive Skarmory is 2HKOed by Close Combat, and Stone Edge will kill those flying types. However, if Starmie or Gengar get in unharmed, then that means trouble.

Infernape is naturally very fast, so it can even sweep late game if the need arises. Flare Blitz's recoil can be a problem, so that isn't used until later on when it is safe. I hate Stone Edge's accuracy, but it's the only useful move for that slot other than ThunderPunch and Earthquake, which are way less effective.

Kingdra

Item: Life Orb
Nature: Rash (+SpA -SpD)
EVs: 208 Atk / 136 SpA / 164 Spe
Ability: Swift Swim
- Rain Dance
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Waterfall

Oh my god this thing is a beast. Against offensive teams, Kingdra will outspeed everything (usually), and anything that can outspeed Kingdra usually cannot KO it. The EVs are taken from the Smogon set, and I don't know exactly how the attacking EVs are spread, but the speed allows Kingdra in the rain to outspeed Choice Scarf Timid/Jolly Flygon, Jirachi, Shaymin, etc. Basically any Choice Scarf base 100 speed Pokemon.

The rain is like Agility, Choice Specs for Surf, and Choice Band for Waterfall. Meanwhile, Draco Meteor has about the same power as +1 Surf, so the attacks are mostly equal. Surf and Waterfall handles most Pokemon very well, and Draco Meteor hits everything else that resists water, except Empoleon. If Celebi switches into Surf, it is KOed by Draco Meteor. Waterfall handles Blissey nicely, and the 20% flinch rate just makes it better. Kingdra is just a great wall breaker, and can sweep offensive teams. Kingdra's handy resistances (like to Scizor's Bullet Punch and Heatran's Fire Blast 4x, and 8x after Rain Dance) makes set up very easy sometimes. It also outspeeds every user of a Dragon-type move, except opposing Kingdra.

Kingdra's rain can be important to the rest of this team as well. It can hinder Infernape at times, but helps to eliminate 3 fire weaknesses on this team.

Shaymin

Item: Leftovers
Nature: Timid (+Spe -Atk)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Ability: Natural Cure
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leech Seed

I don't really like moves with accuracy under 90, but a weaker move didn't seem viable considering how many Pokemon resist Grass-type moves. Leech Seed, Leftovers, and natural bulk allows Shaymin to hover around a high HP percentage. This adds up to even more HP regained by the switches that Seed Flare causes.

Earth Power and Hidden Power are pretty much Shaymin's only other options as attacks, making this a standard set. Hidden Power Ice was chosen to hit Dragonite and Gliscor, and so that its power wouldn't be hindered in the rain. Hidden Power Fire could hit Scizor, but that would leave Shaymin completely walled by Dragonite. Earth Power hits Metagross and Heatran. However, without Hidden Power Fire, Shaymin is walled by Skarmory and Bronzong. Its best hope against Skarmory is to lower their Special Defense with Seed Flare, then hit repeatedly with Hidden Power Ice. Against Bronzong, Shaymin has to switch out.

I prefer Hidden Power Ice.

Metagross

Item: Expert Belt
Nature: Quiet (+SpA -Spe)
EVs: 80 HP / 124 Atk / 252 SpA / 52 Spe
Ability: Clear Body
- Meteor Mash
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Grass Knot

Oh boy, here's the story behind this one. It was a year ago, and I switched Scizor into Metagross. Before Scizor got to U-Turn, Metagross KOed it with Hidden Power [Fire]. Ever since that day, I've been meaning to use mixed Metagross, but never got the chance to.

I'm not experienced with Metagross, but this is the set from the Smogon analysis. Some bulk, lots of attacking power, and the ability to outspeed 0-12 Speed EVs Adamant Scizor.

Grass Knot KOs Swampert if it takes some prior damage, but at full health it is usually a 2HKO. Hidden Power Fire 2HKOs Skarmory and OHKOs Scizor. Psychic is to be used against physically defensive Pokemon like Rotom-A, and can still work with a burn. Meteor Mash is the main move to use, as it leads the opponent to believe that Metagross is Choiced, landing surprise KOs on mentioned Pokemon. Psychic's chance of Special Defense drop helps against specially defensive Pokemon who resist Meteor Mash, such as Vaporeon. From there I can attempt to beat it with Grass Knot.

The surprise value helps to score a lot of KOs here.

Lucario

Item: Choice Scarf
Nature: Jolly (+Spe -SpA)
EVs: 252 Atk / 28 Def / 228 Spe
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Ice Punch
- ThunderPunch

Imagine that your Dragonite has used Dragon Dance and I switch to Lucario. You think: Stupid, I have Earthquake.
Boom, you die to Ice Punch. Not a good chance that you would think that I'm Scarfed.

That's what Lucario does, revenge kill with surprise. If Starmie had switched in to Dragonite, most people would assume that it has a Choice Scarf and is ready to kill with Ice Beam, so switch Dragonite out.

So basically, Lucario is a revenge killer who can sweep weakened Pokemon late game.

Please give me suggestions and constructive criticism if you must.
I sense that this team should be weak to a lot of things, I just haven't encountered them yet.

Threat List

Hehe not now, maybe later.

Interesting team you have here, although unfortunately it is incredibly weak to Zapdos. Zapdos is a Pokemon most people overlook when looking for threats to their team, so you aren't the first person to leave yourself open to it. I think I have a few good ideas you may want to try. Firstly, I think Uxie is the most replaceable member. Outside of setting Stealth Rock up, it offers nothing to this team. You are using a specially-based Kingdra, a Mixed Metagross and a Scarf Lucario. All of these Pokemon successfully lure out a number of threats to Tyranitar. I think a Dragon Dance Tyranitar would fit perfectly on your team. Kingdra can lure out Skarmory + exploding steels and hit them with a Surf, Metagross lures out Swampert, Skarmory and friends as well as luring out a Rotom Dragon Dance Tyranitar can potentially set-up on. Lucario can get surprise kills on stuff like Jirachi and Gliscor thinking they are faster. Overall, I think it is a very good option. Tyranitar also sets up on Zapdos, who you are currently weak to.

Obviously, leading with Dragon Dance Tyranitar is not the best option, so I think you should try shifting your Infernape to the lead position. Infernape is a good lead and can weaken many leads like Machamp who stay in and try to beat it, increasing a chance of a DDTar sweep.

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Naive | Blaze
EVs: 64 Atk / 248 SpAtk / 196 Spe
Fake Out / Fire Blast / Stealth Rock / Close Combat

and Tyranitar:

Tyranitar @ Babiri / Lum Berry
Jolly | Sandstream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Dragon Dance / Stone Edge / Crunch / Earthquake or Fire Punch

You are quite open to Scizor so Babiri may be worth it. Good team and good luck!

This team actually looks quite solid and very creative. You seem to have most opposing threats covered, but there are a few fairly minor suggestions that I'd like to make. First of all, despite your usage of Rain Dance Kingdra, I think it would be advisable to use HP Fire on Shaymin. Since you have Infernape rather than a bulkier Fire-type such as Heatran, it's quite a bit more difficult to switch into CB Scizor's U-turns; HP Fire alleviates this issue by eliminating Scizor. Gliscor already takes heavy damage from Shaymin's Seed Flare, and Dragonite is checked by Lucario. Besides, Rain Dance Kingdra typically only gets one or two opportunities to sweep, meaning that rain typically won't be up during the entirety of the match.

Scarf Lucario is an interesting idea, but I really think that it could be replaced with a more useful revenge killer. Lucario is too frail to switch into most attacks, meaning that incorrect predictions could easily cost it a significant portion of its health. Additionally, Close Combat is certainly not a move that you want to be choice-locked into; opposing threats like SubSplit Gengar can take advantage of these types of situations to set up, proceeding to give your team a lot of trouble. Due to similarities in typing, I think that a Scarf Jirachi would be the best replacement for Lucario. A moveset of Iron Head / Fire Punch / Ice Punch / Thunderpunch would allow you to revenge kill everything that Lucario does currently.

Finally, I'm not really sure if Mix Metagross is the best set to run on this team. It doesn't really eliminate any threats that are too troublesome to face, since Swampert is dealt with easily by Shaymin and Scizor can be checked by Infernape. If you find that it works out for you, definitely feel free to keep it. However, you may also want to consider trying out the relatively unexpected Trick + Iron Ball Metagross set, which I'll post below:

[box]

Metagross @ Iron Ball
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Trick
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Explosion [/box]
This is a neat set that was featured in a previous Smog issue. Basically, many common switch-ins to Metagross (Skarmory, Rotom-A, etc.) are crippled by Trick and taken out with Earthquake, as Iron Ball removes the opponent's immunity to Ground attacks. Meteor Mash gives you a great, powerful STAB attack with a nice 20% chance of boosting your Attack stat by one stage. Explosion can be useful in emergencies for destroying any major threats.

Good luck!

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Cool team.

This is really solid team and I love the fact that you're using such underrated, yet quite viable Pokemon sets! Your team has a nice sense of synergy among its Pokemon as well as having a fair amount of strategy involved with gaining a victory in battle. However, I see some Pokemon which could possibly cause your team problems, but before I go on to discuss those threats, I'd like to suggest a couple of minor changes in your team which may prove to be beneficial. First of all, I suggest replacing you current rain dance Kingdra with a chesto rest variant; I'm not saying that rain dance Kingdra is bad, but it doesn't seem to be suited to this type of team as Rain Dance will inevitably interfere with Infernape's, Metagross' and Shaymin's coverage options. I don't think this will make a large impact on your team's strategy either as chesto rest Kingdra is also a very competent offensive threat. Also, since this team is quite offensively based, I also suggest replacing Uxie with a Colbur Berry Azelf lead as it works nicely in the current metagame while also giving your team a nice amount of momentum which it will seldom need in the current metagame. Moving on the threats:

Threats

• Stall teams
  • Agility / SubPetaya Empoleon
  • Slight MixApe Weakness
  • Zapdos
  • LO Flygon, to an extent, LO Roserade
  • SubCharge Rotom
So the Pokemon mentioned above pose serious threats to this team if given the proper opportunity to set up, or even witch-in for the matter. First of all, it seems as though you have a threat to stall teams as the common combination of Skarmory, Blissey and Forretress along with phazers will make quick work of your team, even with having Metagross as a mixed-attacker. Next, your team is quite weak to boosting Empoleon variants as with toxic spikes support, it will easily be able to set up and from the point start to sweep, even your water/ice resists taking massive amounts of damage from a torrent boosted +1 surf. Infernape falls into a similar vein. Zapdos presents a huge threat to this team as offensive variants can simply start to sweep with the sheer coverage a typical offensive Zapdos would carry; even your prime check, Lucario fears switching into heat wave. Moving on, your team is also weak to the rare, but quite powerful, Lo Flygon and LO Roserade variants as with their great speed and decent offensive prowess they can simply rip through your team although they are both quite easily revenge killed. Lastly, your team is quite weak to SubCharge Rotom as it can easily set up on a close combat from either of your choiced Pokemon and continue to spam Charge Beam from that point, steadily increasing its special attack, and at the same time, continually becoming a more and more of a threat.

Solutions

• Swords Dance Infernape
  • Choice Scarf Flygon
[box]

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 SpDef
Jolly nature (+Spd,-SpAtk)
- Close Combat
- Fire Punch
- Stone Edge / Mach Punch
- Swords Dance[/box]

[box]

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 SpDef
Jolly nature (+Spd,-SpAtk)
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Thunder Punch
- U-turn[/box]
Luckily two changes can be made in your team to help it better deal with the aforementioned threats; I have nasty plot Infernape and Choice Scarf Flygon in mind. I suggest replacing your choice band Infernape with the swords dance set (as shown above), and you Lucario with choice scarf Flygon (as shown above). Swords dance Infernape will help your team with all of the aforementioned weaknesses due to it's awesome offensive prowess and of course, its access to a priority move to help it defeat the likes of Empoleon. Also, Infernape will remarkably strengthen your offensive core as it shares great synergy with your Shaymin and Kingdra while also being able to present a significant offensive threat itself, a feat you choice band Infernape could not do in most scenarios. Moving on, I also suggest replacing Lucario with Flygon - I know it's great to have a surprise factor in your team, but in my opinion, juts like Infernape, Flygon will strengthen your offensive core, primarily because of its higher speed but also because of U-Turn which will maintain the momentum your other sweepers and this team in general needs to succeed in battle. I hope this helped and good luck!

Edit: Wow, it took so long to write this up that two raters already posted! Anyways, I'd like to second Faladran's suggestion on Metagross!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)