UnderUsed Teambuilding Competition Week #13 - Scizor

Needed a tiebreaker for this one! Congrats to Askov and thanks for the submissions!
1671456280591.png
Next up, we have:

Azumarill

Azumarill has been making a splash in the first few weeks of SV UU as a very threatening attacker! It makes use of its Huge Power ability, good natural bulk, and threatening Water/Fairy STAB combination alongside priority Aqua Jet to break holes in teams with its Choice Band set or sweep with its Belly Drum set. Azumarill can also sometimes leverage its bulk and typing to run an Assault Vest set, which can take hits and dish them out throughout a game. Azumarill got an interesting new addition to its movepool in this generation in the form of Trailblaze, a 50BP physical Grass-type move that raises the user's Speed after being used. This has an interesting application on the Belly Drum set in that it allows Azumarill to threaten Unaware Quagsire with a 2HKO. The Speed boost is also appreciated, since it allows Azumarill more opportunities to throw out its STAB Play Rough. Azumarill added Ice Spinner to its movepool this generation as well, which provides a slightly stronger hit than the Ice Punch it previously relied on. However, not everything went Azumarill's way in the transition to Generation 9: Azumarill lost Knock Off, removing a powerful attacking option on both the Choice Band and Belly Drum sets; and it lost Whirlpool, which previously allowed Azumarill to run a niche but effective Perish Trapping set. This hasn't slowed Azumarill down, though - it still consistently claims KOs in each game and demands respect at Team Preview. Let's see what you can come up with for teams with Pikablu's evolution!

Teambuilding Restrictions:
  • The team should be built in the Scarlet and Violet UnderUsed format.
  • The team must include Azumarill.
Submission Deadline: Friday, December 23, 2022 @ 11:59 PM EST (GMT-5).

Last edited:
https://pokepast.es/ff36cb9ee8c93721

this is a HO team built around hazard stacking and keeping it up. With frosslass setting up spikes easily and being pretty much unstoppable for at least 1 layer, it can keep it up esp with shadow ball to 2hko hatterene. WoW applies pressure to many physical attackers wanting to try and remove hazards or to pressure frosslass such as staraptor, tinkaton, forre, bronzong, etc.

Scarf gengar is the speed control of the team, being faster than specs vern allows it to threaten it and make sure it is unable to force the progress it wants to, it is also able to revenge kill +1 gyara, mence, haxorus, and espartha, which is valuable for the team. Nasty plot is the last slot in case it gets a trick off and is able to setup in front of a passive wall such as scream tail, forretress, etc. tera normal wins the 1v1 gengar duel and against oricorio.

DD haxorus is the stall killer of the team, being able to easily pressure common stall teams and clean the way for azu and other members of the team. Haxorus also brings a valuable trait of being able to nuke teams that rely on quag to wall physical HO mons. Tera steel is for fairies and being able to reverse card them and turn the tables vs them, ice types, and dragons.

Oricorio-Sensu is an interesting pokemon... usually bad but with tera fighting it is able to turn the tables against steels, and darks such as bisharp, hydreigon, woo chien, umbreon, and potentially more. Sub + toss immunity allows it to setup on passive pokemon and gain advantage against mons that it forces out to setup a sub.

Eviolite bisharp is the ghost resist of the team, being able to take attacks from gengar, oricorio-sensu, mimikyu, and bramblegeist which allows the team to stave of these hits and allows bisharp to setup freely.

Azu is the final member of the team, being belly drum allows the team to have a clear end game win con. Priority aqua jet gives the team emergency speed control against pokemon that got out of control such as calm mind + weak armor armarouge. Tera grass lures in quag and eliminates it which is a huge roadblock for azu against most balance teams that rely on it to stop it.

https://pokepast.es/f23091f407fecc68

i was p iffy on this team, it's slow and looks p clunky. However, it p fun to pilot, basically you spread burns with mow and talon, and the team deals with p much anything that's not Gengar(Salazzle also 6-0s)

anyhow won't go too in-depth about what mon does what.

Azu is just there to help sponge some dmg and threaten some things.

Mow helps spread burns and just be a general annoyance and build a volt turn core with-

Talon, same as mow spread burns but also works as this team's "speed control"

dre is often the teams wincon, dp or flame is up to the pilot I just ran into more teams where the flame was way better.

zong is hella mid but works

donphan is spin + knock suport

:krookodile: :masquerain: :sv/azumarill: :slither-wing: :jolteon: :gyarados:
Straight forward HO team featuring Belly Drum Azumarill! It's a team featuring hazards, hard-hitting pivots, and a wallbreaker.

:azumarill:
The star of this team. The Pikablu. The "i am not afraid of Quagsire". Well, sort of. Azumarill acts as your usual endgame sweeper, nearly nothing can take a +6 Aqua Jet especially after some chip. Losing Knock Off sucks, but Trailblaze makes up for it by not only hitting opposing water types, but also boosting its speed. This gives it a 2HKO towards Unaware Quagsire that think it could come in on a Belly Drum and Haze the boosts away. I don't find myself using Tera on this thing often, but Tera Ghost is to prevent any Tera Normal Arcanines or Lucarios using Extreme Speed. Though Tera Water to boost Aqua Jet is good if you're not worried about that.

:krookodile: :masquerain:
These two function the same way, set hazards and be annoying. Ice beam on Masquerain lets it catch opposing Noiverns and Salamences by surprise, though you might have to predict U-Turn from the former. Krookodile sets Stealth Rock and deals damage as much as possible, while also packing in Taunt. You can switch Crunch with Brick Break for any screens teams.

:slither-wing:
The First Impression U-Turn spammer. Hits hard with Choice Band and break holes in the opposing team. Also works as a solid revenge killer. Just usual Slither Wing things.

:jolteon:
Terastilization has really helped Jolteon this gen, letting it have access to Tera Ice which makes it a great BoltBeam user, or BoltBlast if you will. The help of Sticky Web lets it outspeed scarf mons so it can have Life Orb to deal heavier damage while also acting as a fast pivot with Volt Switch. Shadow Ball is just for extra slot. It's still frail, so you have to be careful.

:gyarados:
Dragon Dance sweeper with Moxie, i do not know what else to say. Tera Ground takes away its Electric weakness which is always appreciated, and boosts its Earthquake. Lum Berry to prevent burns from Talonflames or Rotoms.

My first time entering something like this! Will improve the description tomorrow with some more details.

Azumarill Semi-Stall (pokepaste)
945.png
184.png
334.png
927.png
205.png
947.png

Grafaiai @ Life Orb
Ability: Poison Touch
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Super Fang / Taunt
- Encore

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum
- Trailblaze
- Play Rough

Altaria @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Haze
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Defog

Dachsbun @ Leftovers
Ability: Well-Baked Body
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Body Press
- Roar
- Wish
- Play Rough / Baby-Doll Eyes

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Toxic Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch

Brambleghast @ Leftovers
Ability: Wind Rider
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Strength Sap
- Leech Seed
- Phantom Force
- Spikes

The team revolves around the Brambleghast/Altaria/Forretress/Daschbun defensive core, that stacks and removes hazards while walking most main threats. Altaria has Haze to block Espathra and other sweepers. Daschbun phases with roar and can do surprising damage with fighting attacks. Brambleghast is so fun to use, Phantom Force is annoying but can force switches which is great when you have hazards up. Graffiti Ape is a great pivot that hits surprisingly hard, and can help with poison spreading. Azumarill cleans up late game when the enemy team is damaged by hazards and potshots from the other Mon.

- Grafaiai is great glue on pretty much every team, able to do solid chip damage and fish for poison. Encore is very handy against bulky Mon, and Super Fang is an underrated option. It desperately wants room for taunt, which can be fun over Fang.
- Azu is primarily there to clean up late game. It's as standard a set as you get - TRAILBLAZE is such a good addition for it. A lot of the time you don't even need Belly Drum, as Tera Water boosted Aqua Jet hits hard enough.
- Altaria is one of my favourite Pokémon and is really fun to use. Haze is mandatory here to mess with set up sweepers, Draco hits hard even uninvested, and Defog is handy as last ditch hazard control, with a handy effect of making hits more likely to land for itself, Daschbun and Azu. Rest is an option over roost thanks to Nat Cure, but I prefer the consistency of Roost, plus removing Flying is useful vs Kilowattrel.
- Daschbun is generally outclassed by Tinkaton but I use him here for two reasons: passing Wish, and to take Fire moves for Brambleghast and Forretress. It's especially fun Vs low ladder where people don't understand its ability lol.
- Forretress does what Forretress has always done. This set omits Rapid Spin for some decent offensive presence with Gyro Ball, but ig it's an option. It eats physical hits for breakfast and gets hazards up better than anything. Wishes from Daschbun are it's best friend.
- Brambleghast is so fun to use! Wind Rider occasionally let's you wall Kilowattrel and PomPom Oricorio which is hilarious. Strength Sap and Leech Seed is a great combo, combined with spikes this guy can ruin your day. Phantom Force kinda sucks but it's useful to fish for poison damage or force switches sometimes. Max bulk to take hits while spinblocking as best as possible. I wish this guy was bulkier but he's still fun to use.

General strategy:
-Get hazards up
-Clear boosts with Altaria and Daschbun
-Spread poison with Graf and Forry
-Unleash Azumarills judgement upon thee

Last edited:

Askov

Explode
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion
:sv/azumarill: :sv/talonflame: :sv/donphan: :sv/slowking: :sv/noivern: :sv/copperajah:

(click on the pokes for the pokepaste)

Pretty simple cb azu set. Spower is used on last slot as a good overall midground + hits steel tera quags/gastros but bulldoze can be used for tera poison gastros if needed.

Azu + talon is a pretty basic core where talon baits in passive walls like gastrodon/slowking/hippowdon for azu to click buttons while also punishing tsareena that comes in to check azu w flame body.

Donphan was my next choice because it gives me a hazard control, elec immunity, dd dragons check, pressures spinblockers like brambleghast and drifblim with knock off and also can possibly bait in tsareena with gunk shot.

We all know what slowking does but i chose this particular set to cripple a wall or even a setup sweeper w trick, yawn/twave w boots can be used if you want a better offense mu tho. Fsight is an option but i think its other support moves are more useful on this team.

Noivern was chosen for the next slot mainly because it can revenge kill subnp hydreigon behind a sub and it also gives me a second fast pokemon considering that the team is pretty slow overall while also being a strong breaker with tera normal boomburst and also having uturn to bait spdef walls in for azu, forming a scary wallbreaking core.

For the last slot you might ask me why am i not using tinkaton when it also gets rocks, is faster, gets better support moves and theres barely any difference in special bulk. While it's true, the main reason i chose copperajah is because of its better atk stat not making me too scared of not being able to use my main powerful move since gigaton hammer cant be used twice which can put me in some weird scenarios and having access to a stronger fighting move, which allows me to beat subnp hydra more reliably (yes, tinkaton can use encore and avoid letting hydra get too much mileage but i dont firmly believe that it's a strong measure long term). Tinkaton can also use stone edge like copper but i do think that tinkaton has more of a ''4mss'' than copperajah, which can easily fit stone edge on its movepool to pressure defog talon. As a bonus reason to use copperajah, isn't it boring to open your teambuilder and see 9 out of 10 tinkatons in your teams?

Corperate n

my bowels turned watery
is a Tiering Contributor
:Azumarill: :Hydreigon: :Talonflame: :slowking: :Lucario: :Sandy Shocks:

https://pokepast.es/a2381bbff11e2318

This team has two choice band mons, both with strong priority to take on the offensive threats one needs to beat in this meta, but also with the stabs to beat some of the bulkier cores popping up lately. sub plot drei is good for a kill or two every game, which is an amazing trait. Talon defogs vs some common setters like tinkaton and bramble, etc etc. I'd like to write more but I feel like these mons are all super explanatory. Future sight and chilly reception into a cb mon is just amazing at making progress. It all just works. enjoy

Last edited:
:sv/azumarill: :sv/krookodile: :sv/toxtricity-low key: :sv/talonflame: :sv/toedscruel: :sv/hydreigon:
https://pokepast.es/b179c1711582d010
a pretty unorthodox combination of hazard stack and bulky offense here, with band azu, specs toxtricity, and sub+np drei as the main breakers. krook and toedscruel set the hazards and talonflame removes them. krook and talon also weaken physical attackers that threaten the physically frail breakers with intimidate and burn support, and toedscruel also acts as the special wall and offers knock off support. nothing much else to say here so uh... yah :blobnom:

romanji

/ᐠ - ˕ -マ
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
This is my favorite mon of course I had to join in
:sv/espeon: :sv/sandy-shocks: :sv/azumarill: :sv/lucario: :sv/salamence: :sv/espathra:

While making this team, it really made me appreciate how much better it is to handle Hyper Offense in SS without Light Clay, and I hope this is banned as soon as possible. Anyway we have random generic screens team #69 here. Espeon is definitely the best screen setter thanks to its Speed tier + Magic Bounce + Yawn. I felt like Sandy Shocks fits as the Stealth Rock setter, because it can take down some threats while being a helping out against boosted threats like Dragon Dance Haxorus or Salamence and Swift Swimmers like Floatzel. Tera Blast Ice also helps against the aforementioned Salamence and Killowattrel. Belly Drum Azumarill the obvious choice here, with Trailblaze to nail Gastrodon and Quagsire, and not having to rely on Tera Blast for them. Lucario and Espathra are just two other generic screens mons. I chose Salamence over Haxorus due to it better breaking past annoying Grass-types like Tsareena and Brambleghast for Azumarill and Lucario.

Here’s a replay of Trailblaze Azumarill easily setting up on Palossand and sweeping right after:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9uu-1748405399-j8dd3np5u68wd4vcd8foki0epnsdxfzpw

Dead by Daylight

are we the last living souls
is a Contributor to Smogon
:ss/azumarill: :ss/hatterene: :sv/sandy shocks: :sv/wo-chien: :sv/tinkaton: :ss/rotom-wash:

CB Azumarill + Hatterene ft. Scarf Rotom-W

This team feels really easy to play, while also giving me decent results. One of the biggest strengths of this team is that it can act as a offense team in certain matchups or a defensive team in some. Spikes + CM Hatterene is a really good core, since Rapid Spinners usually do not want to give Hatterene a turn to set up, allowing the hazards to stay up. Additionally, the two Volt Switchers of the team invite Ground-types, which CB Azumarill can easily take advantage of to do huge damage. Finally, Wo-Chien and Tinkaton form a quite good defensive core while not being insanely passive in and of themselves, while Azumarill deters Fire moves with the threat of massive damage.

PlaystyleHow to Beat It
StallTrick :rotom-wash: + residual damage +:hatterene:
Semi-StallResidual damage + :hatterene:
BalanceDefensive core + residual damage
OffenseDefensive core + residual damage + CB :azumarill:
Hyper-offenseCB :azumarill: + :sandy shocks:

Of course, no team is perfect, and there are inevitably some holes in a team composition. All we can do is try to minimize them. For this team, you may not be able to back the defensive core to come in multiple times against offense or hyper-offense since it does not have reliable recovery. Additionally, this team struggles vs. Slither Wing if Tinkaton and Rotom-Wash are dead. However, the offensive pressure this team puts out can outmatch these threats over the long run.

I may include replays later.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)