Tyranitar

BurningMan

fueled by beer
I haven't tested this set out yet personally but I feel like it deserves some sort of mention in the analysis
Lead Tyranitar
########
name: SashLead
move 1: Crunch
move 2: Fire Blast / Ice Beam
move 3: Low Kick / Ice Beam
move 4: Stealth Rock
ability: Sand Stream
item: Focus Sash
nature: Hasty / Mild
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

This is more or less a copy and paste of Gen V's variant. The set has a lot of room for changes and variability depending on what this particular variant wants to lure in and KO.
Crunch is for STAB. Due to the low investment of Attack, the opposition may think that LureTar is a Defensive variant and attempt to bring in an appropriate response such as Landorus-T, Scizor, etc. This is all theory-mon to be honest but it may hold some credibility.
The following moves can be broken down as follows:
Fire Blast is to hit Scizor, Skarmory, Ferrothorn and Aegislash for supereffective damage. Although the aforementioned Pokémon lack the ability to resist Dark Type STABs, once the opposition sees the low damage output from Tyranitar they may develop a false sense of security and switch in more freely.
Ice Beam is perfect for KOing Gliscor and Landorus-Therian / Landorus-Incarnate. No real explanations needed here as all three Pokémon love switching in and setting up on Tyranitar.
Low Kick is reserved for Terrakion and opposing Tyranitars mainly.
Stealth Rock is the final slash and while Defogging has made Suicide Leads less viable, SR is still an amazing support move to have on Tyranitar.
The EVs are to optimize Tyranitar's Special Attack and Speed - two key components that make Tyranitar a great lure.
Hasty is for +Spe while Mild is for +SpA
I am not a big fan of this set mostly because its effectiveness mainly comes from the suprise value of Ice Beam/Fire Blast combined with speed EVs that allows it to outspeed some Pokemon that you usually won't and that only works against inexperienced players. I also don't think that it fits that great in the current meta game mostly because Defog makes it hard for suicide leads and there are a lot of reliable TTar switch-ins that don't give a damn about this set like AV Conk, phy. Def. Rotom-W, Mega-Venu etc. so unless your opponent plays risky by U-Turning with his defensive Landorus/Scizor turn one (which is a legit move no doubt) you don't get too much out of this set.

I think it should get an OO mention that TTar can run a Sash lead set that is able to suprise kill some of its usual counters with Fireblast/Ice Beam and max speed, but that it often won't work since a lot of players are wary about special moves on TTar.

Regarding the set order i think that DD shoud be moved up to spot two at least, it is easiely one of the most threatening sweepers in the current meta-game due to its fantastic bulk and the recent removal of Mega-Luke and Genesect worked very much to its favor.

I think Chople Berry should get a mention, probably in OO but perhaps in Set Details of the first set. It is really useful if you switch into a Sacred Sword from Aegislash, and allows you to avoid being OHKOed by Mega Zard Y in Sun.

For the DD set, I think Rock Slide should be mentioned somewhere. Rock Slide is capable of getting pretty much a lot of the OHKOs and 2HKOs Stone Edge can grab on other Pokemon. From my experience with Stone Edge, the accuracy seriously can be a real let-down at crucial times and so having Rock Slide is a great alternative. In addition Rock Slide has a nice flinch rate (30%) which can definitely help grab those 2HKOs.
The only real letdown of Rock Slide would be Tyranitar's inability to effectively handle Skarmory and Forretress. Gliscor gets KO'd by Ice Punch so that's not even an issue for Mega Tyranitar.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
dd is way too low. mega ddtar is one of the most threatening sweepers atm. set #2, definitely.
Yeah it def is I was just waiting until I was completely finished with it before updating the set order and shit. Should be done by tomorrow hopefully.

How about the Assault Vest set? Tyranitar can work with his Attack stat, and it just increases his SP.Def even higher

Crunch/Pursuit
Superpower-- This could work well for Steel types waiting to kill Tyranitar
Your Rock-type move of choice-- For STAB
Ice Fang-- Now, I use this over Ice Beam because Tyranitar's Attack stat is better than his SP.Atk stat, and it could surprise a Blissey waiting to switch on your Ice Beam

Gary

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
How about the Assault Vest set? Tyranitar can work with his Attack stat, and it just increases his SP.Def even higher

Crunch/Pursuit
Superpower-- This could work well for Steel types waiting to kill Tyranitar
Your Rock-type move of choice-- For STAB
Ice Fang-- Now, I use this over Ice Beam because Tyranitar's Attack stat is better than his SP.Atk stat, and it could surprise a Blissey waiting to switch on your Ice Beam
Read the analysis again please.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
With the resurgence of Hippowdon I think Aqua Tail should be mentioned again in the Choice Band set as an option. Aqua Tail still does a decent chunk to Gliscor and Landorus-T and Tyranitar was commonly known as one of the bigger, if not biggest, counters to Tyranitar.

Gary

Mega Dragon Dance should be the first set. It is Tyranitar's most effective set in the metagame due to its excellent sweepng prowess.
Yeah it def is I was just waiting until I was completely finished with it before updating the set order and shit. Should be done by tomorrow hopefully.
And yes Colonel M I will add Aqua Tail to moves options for CB.

Gary

Jesus christ I'm finally done with this thing. Sorry it took so long, I would have had it done a few days ago, but school has been a bitch recently. Anyways, this is ready for last check.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Here is a spread to consider for the SR set: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 SpD with a Relaxed nature. Those EVs allows Tyranitar to always survive Surf + DM from LO Latios after SR, which is great if you have Pursuit to reliably trap it.

Also, Pursuit should definitely be slashed somewhere on the SR set. Trapping and KOing or weakening Latios, Latias, Thundurus without a Fighting move, Aegislash (with some prediction), Talonflame, Zapdos, etc, is great for a lot of teams.

Gary

Here is a spread to consider for the SR set: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 SpD with a Relaxed nature. Those EVs allows Tyranitar to always survive Surf + DM from LO Latios after SR, which is great if you have Pursuit to reliably trap it.

Also, Pursuit should definitely be slashed somewhere on the SR set. Trapping and KOing or weakening Latios, Latias, Thundurus without a Fighting move, Aegislash (with some prediction), Talonflame, Zapdos, etc, is great for a lot of teams.
See the issue with that spread is that it takes way too much away from Tyranitar's physical bulk, which isn't really worth giving up for such a situation as that one. Besides, without full investment, I wouldn't really weaken the living hell out of Tyranitar just so I can trap Latios. The point of physically defensive Tyranitar is to act as a sturdy check to most of the physical attackers in the tier, which is mostly why Pursuit trapping isn't recommended, as it takes away from Tyranitar's ability to deal with these threats. If you take away Crunch, then you're obviously going to have a hard time against bulkier Pokemon, if you take away Ice Beam, Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Gliscor wall the living hell out of you and can easily get multiple free switch-in opportunities. Dragonite can also setup on you. Without Earthquake, Aegislash is really annoying to work around, and you give things like Mega Charizard X, Bisharp, and Lucario free opportunities to set up T-tar.

Basically, Dice and I discussed this on IRC yesterday and Pursuit was mentioned, but him and I felt that this set should worry less about trapping, and more about checking prominent threats. The other sets are better Pursuit trappers anyway, as they always guarantee the OHKO on Latias and Latios with Pursuit, while Scarf Tyranitar can trap Gengar. Pursuit is definitely getting a mention in the move sets, but it doesn't deserve a slash, simply because you can't really fit it on this set very well without Tyranitar being more vulnerable to Pokemon it would normally be checking. Besides, Stone Edge isn't even slashed anywhere either, and even that move is a better option over Pursuit in most instances, because it always OHKOs Mega Pinsir and Talonflame.

Last edited:

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
SDS struck down my suggestion to under-creep standard Quiet Aegislash with a different Pokemon, so I'm not sure that you can do that on the support set. Plus, the current Aegislash analysis suggests running 12 Speed EVs in order to outpace min Speed Tyranitar with a hindering nature, so it would be awfully unclear whether we want Aegislash to out-slow him or not.

Gary

SDS struck down my suggestion to under-creep standard Quiet Aegislash with a different Pokemon, so I'm not sure that you can do that on the support set. Plus, the current Aegislash analysis suggests running 12 Speed EVs in order to outpace min Speed Tyranitar with a hindering nature, so it would be awfully unclear whether we want Aegislash to out-slow him or not.
Yeah that was an accident on my part. I think I was using Impish instead of Relaxed. I fixed it.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
I really miss stone edge when using support tar to ohko Thundy, Zard X after a bit of sand and Pinsir, it's a great check to these pokes (depending on set I guess). I feel it hould get a slash along crunch

Gary

I really miss stone edge when using support tar to ohko Thundy, Zard X after a bit of sand and Pinsir, it's a great check to these pokes (depending on set I guess). I feel it hould get a slash along crunch
The thing is, Thundy is still taking a shit ton from Ice Beam, as well as Mega Pinsir and Zard-X is 2HKOed by EQ. I do agree that Stone Edge is nice though, especially for Talonflame, who can easily set up Bulk Ups all over it if it lacks Stone Edge, so it should probably get more of a mention on the support set. I think it's best slashed with Ice Beam, because Tyranitar really wants to have a Crunch in order to break through the Lati twins and even Deo-D. Ice Beam is also more useful because it keeps it from being completely walled by Ground-types, but not as important as Crunch. Besides, pairing Tyranitar with something like Keldeo or Manaphy to deal with these physical walls is an easy task, but Crunch should not be slashed with anything, ever. It's just way too helpful.

But yeah, I'll slash Stone Edge after Ice Beam.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
Smooth Stone allows Sandstorm to be up for 8 turns instead of 5, but the loss in longevity or extra bulk isn't really worth it, and Hippowdon is arguably a better choice for the job anyway because of its access to reliable recovery.
Gary2346 It's Smooth Rock, and not Smooth Stone.

I also question the viability of the Physically Defensive set. What will it do? Will it tank Bullet Punches and Drain Punches better? It can tank Charizard X's +1 Adamant Outrage, but it can't do much in return, even with Earthquake, as it does 57 - 67.1% to 0/4 CharX, and Stone Edge isn't even a main slash. I don't see what it can wall on the physical side that other Pokemon don't do a lot better, unless someone can prove me wrong. It can't even counter the Pokemon it usually does with that set, Specs Latios deals a heavy amount with Surf or Draco Meteor, and Tyranitar doesn't have Pursuit to trap it from switching out. I guess it could be a good set to counter Talonflame, but U-turn will still do respectable amounts of damage to it, and that could really hurt it when it lacks any form of recovery outside of Rest.

I also don't know why Assault Vest isn't mentioned anywhere outside of Usage Details of the Physically Defensive set. It's not even in OO, when it should at least be mentioned there if not get an entire set. Same goes for a Specially Defensive set, but I guess that and the Assault Vest are practically the same set, except one would have SR while the other wouldn't. I've used Specially Defensive Tyranitar too much to know how good of a trapper it is.

Also, is there a reason why Choice Scarf is the first set? I haven't seen it much, and I haven't used it, so I don't know how effective it is.. but it's surprising to see that it's the first set seeing as it's not common at all.

Last edited:

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
I think the Assault Vest Tyranitar set should look something like this:

Assault Vest
########

name: Assault Vest
move 1: Stone Edge
move 2: Crunch
move 3: Pursuit / Something else relevant
move 4: Earthquake / Superpower
item: Assault Vest
evs: 252 HP / 252 Att / 4 SpD
nature: Adamant

Maybe in the description you could mention how it could just go fully specially defensive, but needs wish support. I don't usually carry wish support, so I just like my assault vest ttar to hit hard. This and dd mega are the only sets I even use, this definitely deserves a set, if not OO.
Perhaps the slashes could be changed, but you get the idea.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The QC team has already gone over this and decided that the support set should be precisely as-is. It's not changing.

Anyways, we talked on IRC.

QC Approved 3/3

Gary

The QC team has already gone over this and decided that the support set should be precisely as-is. It's not changing.

Anyways, we talked on IRC.

QC Approved 3/3
Thanks man. Check implemented. Off to GP!

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Amateur check here

add
remove
comments

Sup bro?

Overview
########

Tyranitar has been one of the most successful Pokemon in OU ever since it's introduction into the metagame, and it's not hard to see why. Being one of the only two fully evolved Pokemon with access to Sand Stream, Tyranitar has once again retained its main niche in OU as a key team player with its ability to summon Sand at will. Tyranitar's impressive attacking stats are only made better with its plentiful offensive movepool and nearly unresistant unresisted STAB combination, which is even more potent this generation now that its Dark-type moves are no longer resisted by the Steel-type. When the sand is up, Tyranitar becomes an impenetrable special wall that is able to take Special Attacks with ease, allowing it to switch into powerful special attackers such as Latios and Mega Charizard Y. It's also able to provide immense support for other Pokemon such as Excadrill, Landorus, and Mega Garchomp who benefit greatly from the Sand. Tyranitar was even gifted with a faster, bulkier, and much more powerful Mega Evolution. With a usable 71 base Speed, Mega Tyranitar is able to become a terrifying sweeper with Dragon Dance, and thanks to its monstrous bulk, it can set up on Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, Starmie, Latios, and many other Pokemon.

Unfortunately, Tyranitar is plagued with a nasty 4x weakness to the Fighting-type, leaving it helpless against Conkeldurr, Keldeo, and Terrakion. It's also weak to other common top tier threats such as Garchomp, Scizor, and Landorus, while the new Fairy-typing gives Tyranitar an extra weakness to worry about. The weather nerf causes Sand Stream to only activate five turns at a time opposed to indefinitely, which really hurts Tyranitar's biggest niche. Last but not least, its incredibly slow, putting it behind a majority of the offensive metagame, and its Mega Evolution is somewhat easy to revenge kill because Tyranitar is weak to almost every form of priority. However, even with its share of flaws, Tyranitar's incredible versatility and the immense amount of team support it provides is nearly unparalleled, making it one of the most defining Pokemon in the OU metagame.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Pursuit
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Stone Edge
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Moves
========

Tyranitar's abysmal Speed stat becomes much more manageable with a Choice Scarf, allowing it to function as a solid revenge killer. Pursuit allows it to easily outspeed and trap Gengar, Starmie, Latias, and Latios before they are able to retaliate, which sets it apart from its other sets. Crunch provides Tyranitar with a backup Dark-type STAB to hit bulkier Pokemon such as Trevanent and Slowbro. Earthquake is very important for Aegislash who can otherwise threaten to lower Tyranitar's Attack stat with King's Shield if it were locked into Crunch or Pursuit, and it hits Lucario, Heatran, Bisharp, and Excadrill harder than anything else. Stone Edge rounds off the set by giving Tyranitar a Rock-type STAB to revenge kill dangerous sweepers such as Volcarona, Mega Pinsir, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Charizard X, Talonflame, and Dragonite. Tyranitar's decent special movepool gives it a few other options to choose from. Ice Beam can surprise the unsuspecting Landorus-T and Gliscor who would otherwise easily switch into this set, as well as revenge killing Garchomp and Landorus. Fire Blast is yet another alternative that fries bulky Steel-types such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory who take little damage from both of Tyranitar's STAB moves. If Terrakion and opposing Tyranitar are of an issue, Superpower is also an option.

Set Details
========

With maximum Speed investment and a Jolly nature, Tyranitar is able to outspeed base 115 Speed Pokemon and below, putting it above a decent portion of the metagame. The rest is dumped into its Attack stat in order to hit as hard as possible.

Usage Tips
========

Choice Scarf Tyranitar is one of the best Pursuit trappers in the game because it's able to outspeed every common Psychic- and Ghost-type Pokemon in the tier. Unlike it's its other sets, Gengar and Starmie can no longer deal heavy damage to Tyranitar with Focus Blast or Hydro Pump respectively before being taken out by Pursuit. Keep in mind that even with a Choice Scarf, Tyranitar is still outsped by key Pokemon such as Alakazam, Tornadus-T, and Greninja, all of which can easily 2HKO Tyranitar with their coverage moves. Tyranitar's ability to revenge kill top tier threats such as both Mega Charizard forms, Mega Pinsir, Thundurus, Talonflame, and Gyarados, as well as being able to Pursuit trap, is invaluable for most teams, making it a great choice for offensive teams.

Team Options
========

Pairing Tyranitar with Pokemon that appreciate the lack of Ghost- and Psychic-types is a really good idea. Keldeo and Landorus in particular struggle to break through Latias and Latios, and once they're gone, it's much easier for them to blow through opposing teams. Mega Pinsir and Talonflame can check a majority of the Fighting-types in OU that threaten Tyranitar because of their priority Flying-type attacks. Mega Venusaur has great defensive synergy with Tyranitar, as it is able to switch into Fighting-, Fairy-, and Water-type attacks with ease. As with most of its sets, Tyranitar appreciates being able to switch-in frequently, so pairing it with a Rapid Spinner such as Excadrill or a Defogger like such as Skarmory is highly recommended.

Dragon Dance
########
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Ice Punch / Crunch
move 4: Earthquake
item: Tyranitarite

Moves
========

Dragon Dance turns Mega Tyranitar into one of the most powerful sweepers in the metagame, capable of plowing through offensive and defensive teams alike. After one Dragon Dance, it hits a whopping 640 Attack and 397 Speed, giving it an insane amount of power to work with, along with enough Speed to outpace most of the unboosted metagame. Stone Edge is Mega Tyranitar's STAB move of choice, as it is able to OHKO pretty much anything that doesn't resist it after a boost and even easily 2HKO physically defensive Skarmory. Ice Punch provides Mega Tyranitar with a an important coverage move to hit some of its common checks and counters really hard, such as Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Garchomp, while dealing solid damage to Hippowdon. Crunch on the other hand is a powerful Dark-type STAB move that hits Ferrothorn and Slowbro harder than anything else, but than then Mega Tyranitar will struggle to break through bulky Ground-types. Earthquake rounds off the set by hitting Aegislash without having to worry about the massive Attack drop from King's Shield, as well as smashing Lucario, Bisharp, Terrakion, Excadrill, and opposing Tyranitar for super effective damage. Fire Punch is a decent option in the last moveslot to always OHKO Scizor and Ferrothorn at +1, but Stone Edge already hits Scizor hard enough, and hitting Ferrothorn isn't really worth giving up the extra coverage that Earthquake has.

Set Details
========

Max Attack and Speed investment with a Jolly nature are so that Mega Tyranitar can hit as hard as possible while being able to outspeed a majority of the unboosted tier after a boost. Tyranitarite allows Tyranitar to Mega Evolve, which gives it a much higher Attack, Defense, Special Defense and Speed stat. Although an Adamant nature may seem tempting due to the incredible boost in power, Mega Tyranitar will miss out on out speeding key Pokemon such Greninja and Alakazam.

Usage Tips
========

Aside from the obvious fact that Mega Tyranitar has a higher Attack and Speed stat, its buffed defenses are an incredible asset to it as well. It's so bulky in fact, that it only takes 66.66 - 78.94% from Choice Band Scizor's Bullet Punch and 66.9 - 79.8% from Life Orb Greninja's Hydro Pump in the sand. This gives Mega Tyranitar the ability to set up on most Pokemon that lack a powerful super effective move to hit it with, as well as a few that do, such as Starmie, Kyurem-B, and Mega Pinsir. Even with this extra bulk, it isn't recommended to set up when its checks are still present, as most of its common checks can severely cripple Mega Tyranitar or put it into a range where it can easily be worn down by priority. Still, Mega Tyranitar can survive all forms of priority moves at least once at full health, so keep that in mind. Dragon Dance Mega Tyranitar fits very well on offensive teams that contain powerful wallbreakers and other sweepers that can break its common checks and counters in order for it to sweep.

Team Options
========

Common offensive Pokemon such as Mamoswine, Excadrill, Terrakion, Lucario, Scizor, Keldeo, and Conkeldurr all threaten to deal massive damage to Mega Tyranitar and prevent it from sweeping. Talonflame can handle most of the Fighting-types in the tier with its priority Brave Bird, and it can soften up physical walls so Mega Tyranitar has an easier time sweeping. Keldeo is an amazing wallbreaker that can easily break through Landorus-T, Hippowdon, and Gliscor, which are great checks to Mega Tyranitar. Scizor can check Clefable and Azumarill which threaten to stop Mega Tyranitar from sweeping. Entry hazards are very important in securing specific OHKOes at +1, such as Gliscor and Scizor. Deoxys-S or Deoxys-D are usually the best fit for the job because they fit very well on offensive teams which Mega Tyranitar is usually going to be on, and they guarantee at least getting up Stealth Rock.

Physically Defensive
########
name: Support
move 1: Stealth Rock / Fire Blast
move 3: Ice Beam / Stone Edge
item: Leftovers
nature: Relaxed / Impish
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD

Moves
========

Tyranitar's massive Special Defense stat and impressive physical bulk makes it a perfect contender for a support set. Its useful Rock-typing gives it a key resistance to both the Flying- and Fire-type, which are two very common types that are seen on common threats such as Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, Heatran, and Mega Charizard X. Because of Tyranitar's incredible bulk and useful resistances to Flying-, Fire-, and Dark-types, it's easily one of the most reliable users of Stealth Rock in the tier. However, if something else on your team is already using Stealth Rock, Fire Blast is a fine alternative to lure bulky Steel-types such as Skarmory, Scizor, and Ferrothorn. Crunch is Tyranitar's STAB Dark-type move of choice to hit Psychic-types such as Latias and Latios, as well as Gengar. Ice Beam keeps Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Hippowdon from completely walling Tyranitar, as well as keeping Garchomp from freely switching in. Earthquake provides Tyranitar with a reliable way to hit Aegislash without having to worry about the massive Attack drop from King's Shield. Stone Edge can be used if you want Tyranitar to have a Rock-type move to better handle Talonflame and Mega Pinsir. Pursuit can be used to trap Psychic-types such as Latios and Latias, but it's very weak without Attack investment, and prefers the extra coverage from Ice Beam. the extra coverage from Ice Beam is preferred.

Set Details
========

Investing heavily HP, physical defensive defense, and using a +Def nature allows for Tyranitar to be one of the bulkiest mixed walls in the game. Leftovers is the preferred item for extra, much needed longevity due to Tyranitar's lack of reliable recovery. An Assault Vest can be used if you want Tyranitar to be an even better mixed wall, but it'll have to forgo the ability run Stealth Rock and it will greatly miss out on Leftovers recovery. Smooth Stone Rock (it's called smooth rock, not smooth stone) allows Sandstorm to be up for 8 turns instead of 5, but the loss in longevity or extra bulk isn't really worth it, and Hippowdon is arguably a better choice for the job anyway because of its access to reliable recovery. Tyranitarite allows Tyranitar to Mega Evolve and obtain a significantly higher boost to both of its defenses and Attack stat. The downside of this is that it loses out on the ability to run Leftovers for extra longevity, so it is worn down quickly and also uses up your team's Mega slot. Chople Berry allows Tyranitar to take even less damage from Aegislash's Sacred Sword and Mega Charizard Y's Focus Blast in the sun, allowing Tyranitar to deal heavy damage to them in return.

Usage Tips
========

This set is best used on teams in need of a reliable user of Stealth Rock and check to very prominent physical attackers in the tier, such as Mega Pinsir and Talonflame. Although it's not nearly as sturdy as Hippowdon, Tyranitar still does a very good job at keeping the Sand up, so if your team needs Sand, this set is one of the best at keeping it up because of its insane amount of bulk. Tyranitar has the advantage of having a more offensive presence than Hippowdon, making it a better fit for more offensively based teams. Keep in mind that Tyranitar can be worn down relatively easily due to its lack of reliable recovery, so it's important to switch it in sparingly.

Team Options
========

Tyranitar is completely shut down by most Fighting-types, so pairing it with teammates that can both check and counter them is essential. Gourgeist and Trevanent are very good switch-ins to a large portion of Fighting-types in the tier, such as Keldeo, Lucario, Breloom, Conkeldurr and Terrakion, and they are able to burn them with Will-O-Wisp. Landorus-T checks Scizor and it can provide Tyranitar with free switch-ins thanks to U-turn. Talonflame checks all Fighting-types with priority Brave Bird and can roast Steel-types with Flare Blitz. Keldeo, Mega Charizard Y, and Landorus are great offensive partners because Tyranitar puts a lot of pressure on Latias and Latios. Keeping entry hazards off the field is essential in keeping Tyranitar healthy. Skarmory has great defensive synergy with Tyranitar and can use Defog to clear away entry hazards. Excadrill can not only abuse its Sand Rush ability when paired with Tyranitar, but it also has access to Rapid Spin, making them great partners.

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 2: Pursuit
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Earthquake / Ice Punch
item: Choice Band
evs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe

Moves
========

When equipped with a Choice Band, Tyranitar becomes a fearsome wallbreaker capable of punching massive holes into opposing teams. Crunch is a powerful Dark-type STAB that hits anything that doesn't resist it extremely hard, and due to the Steel-type nerf defensive Pokemon such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory can no longer reliably switch into it. It's best for hitting bulky Ghost- and Psychic-types such as Slowbro, Latias, and Jellicent. Pursuit is even more threatening on this set because it's capable of OHKOing Starmie, Latios, and even Latias with a bit of residual damage, even if they choose not to switch out. Stone Edge provides Tyranitar with yet another powerful STAB move to OHKO Mega Pinsir, Volcarona, Kyurem-B, and Talonflame, as well a hitting Fairy-types such as Azumarill for neutral damage. Earthquake gives Tyranitar a way to hit Aegislash reliably without having to worry about the Attack drop from King's Shield, and it also hits Lucario and opposing Tyranitar for super effective damage. Ice Punch is a viable alternative to Earthquake if none of these threats are at issue, as it allows for Tyranitar to deal heavy damage to Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Garchomp. Fire Punch is also an option for OHKOing Ferrothorn and Scizor, but it doesn't supply Tyranitar with as much useful coverage as Earthquake or Ice Punch, because Stone Edge and Crunch hit both of these Pokemon hard enough anyway.

Set Details
========

The Attack EVs and an Adamant nature are to ensure that Tyranitar hits as hard as possible, while the Speed EVs are to outpace Skarmory and 2HKO it with Stone Edge on the switch before it can Roost off the damage. Everything else is dumped into its HP stat so it remains as bulky as possible.

Usage Tips
========

Choice Band Tyranitar is meant to function as a powerful wallbreaker that should be used on teams in need of something to soften up walls such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Gourgeist. This makes it a lot easier for a teammate to sweep or clean up once its counters are heavily weakened by Tyranitar. Tyranitar's insane bulk makes it more than capable of switching into a plethora of non-super effective special attacks, which can consistently put a lot of pressure on offensive teams that lack a good switch-in. Take caution when locking yourself into Crunch or Pursuit, because Lucario and Terrakion are very dangerous, and letting them get a free turn of set up or a Justified boost can potentially lose you the battle. Overall, this set does not function very well fast paced offensive teams because of how vulnerable it is once it's locked into a move due to its common exploitable weaknesses. It's a better fit on bulky offensive teams that need a wallbreaker to break down common defensive cores.

Team Options
========

Fighting-type Pokemon such as Conkeldurr, Keldeo, and Terrakion completely destroy Tyranitar and don't really mind either of its STAB moves. Breloom is a great check to both Terrakion and Keldeo, while Latios resists their Fighting-type moves and threatens them with Psyshock. Pairing Choice Band Tyranitar with offensive partners that appreciate their counters heavily weakened is a great idea. Mega Scizor has a lot of trouble breaking through Skarmory, Landorus-T, and Gourgeist, but Tyranitar can soften them up to a point where it can sweep afterwards. Talonflame checks nearly all the Fighting-types in the tier and it also enjoys physically defensive Pokemon heavily weakened. Sand Rush Excadrill benefits from Tyranitar's Sandstream ability and it can also clear entry hazards off the field with Rapid Spin, which greatly improves Tyranitar's longevity.

Other Options
########

Tyranitar is a very versatile Pokemon, so it has plenty of other options to choose from. A specially defensive set can be used if you want Tyranitar to function as more of a special sponge, but it's not recommended because Tyranitar will primarily want to check physical attackers. A lead Focus Sash attacker set with Fire Blast and Ice Beam can be a great lure to most physical walls such as Skarmory and Landorus-T, but it loses out on a lot of utility. A Curse set may seem viable because of Tyranitar's impressive defenses and a Mega Evolution, but it's still very prone to being worn down quickly due to its exploitable weaknesses and lack of reliable recovery, so it's mostly overshadowed by the Dragon Dance set. Roar and Dragon Tail can phaze out sweepers that may try to set up on it, and it pairs very well with entry hazards. Thunder Wave can cripple common checks such as Lucario, Terrakion, and Keldeo. RestTalk is a lot more viable this generation due to the return of the old sleep mechanics, but it can't really fit them anywhere without giving up a lot of coverage or utility. Aqua Tail hits Hippowdon harder than any other move in its arsenal, but it's better off running an Ice-type Attack to beat Gliscor, Landorus-T, and Garchomp.

Checks & Counters
########

**Physically Defensive Walls**: Pokemon with very high physical defense have little trouble dealing with most of Tyranitar's sets. Hippowdon is the best full stop to Tyranitar in OU because of its access to reliable recovery, enormous physical bulk, and Ground-type, which allows it to easily switch into Stone Edge and Crunch with ease. Landorus-T and Gliscor are also fantastic checks to Tyranitar, fearing only a boosted Ice Punch from Mega Tyranitar and the stray Ice Beam. Skarmory fears very little from Tyranitar at thanks to its access to Roost and high Defense stat. Ferrothorn resists Stone Edge and takes little from Crunch, and threatens to deal heavy damage with Gyro Ball. Chesnaught resists both of Tyranitar's STAB moves and can set up entry hazards all over it.

**Fighting- and Ground-types**: Because of Tyranitar's crippling 4x weakness to Fighting-type attacks, Fighting-types are obviously some of the best checks to it in the game. Terrakion and Lucario can both receive an Attack boost with their Justified ability if they happen to switch into a Dark-type move. Keldeo , Breloom, and Conkeldurr also fear nothing from Tyranitar and can easily OHKO it. Diggersby, Garchomp, and Landorus are great checks to Tyranitar with their powerful Ground-type moves.

**Steel- and Fairy-types**: Scizor is a fantastic check because of priority Bullet Punch. Both of Excadrill's STAB moves threaten to deal serious damage to Tyranitar. Mega Mawile resists both of its STAB moves and can easily OHKO back with Play Rough. Azumarill can also destroy Tyranitar with Play Rough, as well as picking off weakened Dragon Dance variants with Aqua Jet. Unaware Clefable can stop Mega Tyranitar short of a sweep, and its great physical bulk and access to reliable recovery makes it very difficult to take down.

**Politoed**: Politoed on its own is a huge threat to Tyranitar because of its Drizzle ability. This not only cancels out Tyranitar's Sand Stream ability upon activation, but also allows Politoed to fire off powerful Water-type moves which can easily OHKO Tyranitar. On top of that, Politoed is usually paired with other Water-types such as Kingdra or Kabutops, all of which also threaten Tyranitar.
This was a really clean analysis, only a few things that I caught. Good job!

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########

Tyranitar has been one of the most successful Pokemon in OU ever since it's introduction into the metagame, and it's not hard to see why. Being one of the only two fully evolved Pokemon with access to SDue to the sand Streamit brings, Tyranitar has once again retained its main niche in OU as a key team player with its ability to summon Sand at will. Tyranitar's enormous special bulk that helps it fulfill a number of roles. Its impressive attacking stats are only made better, complemented by a with its plentifulde offensive movepool and nearly unresistanted STAB combination, which is even more potegive it significant this generation now that its Dark-type moves are no longreat and utility as a Choice Scarf user. Furesisted by the Steel-type. When the sand is uprmore, in XY, Tyranitar becomes an impenetrable special wall that is able to take Special Attacks with easewas gifted a faster, bulkier, allowing it to switch intond more powerful special attackers such as Latios and Mega Charizard Y. It'Mega Evolution that can become a terrifying sweeper with Dragon Dance; it is also able to provide immenbulky that it can set support for o on ther Pokemon such as Excadrill, Landorus likes of Talonflame, and Mega Garchomp who benefit greatly from the SPinsir, Starmie, and. Tyranitar was even gifted with a faster, bulkier, and much more powerful Mega Evoluti Latios. With a defensive set, it can handle a number of common. With a usable 71 base Speedreats, including Latios, Mega Tyranitar is able to become a terrifCharizard X and Y, and the aforementioned Flying sweeper with Dragon Dance, and thanks to its -type attackers. It's also able to support certain offensive Pokemonstrous bulk, with it cs sand, set up on Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, Starmie,uch as Sand Rush Excadrill, Sand Force Lationdorus, and many other PokemonMega Garchomp, as well as set up Stealth Rock.

Unfortunately, Tyranitar is plagued with a nasty 4x weakness to the Fighting-type, leaving it helpless against Fighting-types, such as Conkeldurr, Keldeo, and Terrakion. It's also weak, in addition to other commonmatching up poorly against top -tier threats such as Garchomp, Scizor, and Landorus, while the new. The introduction of Fairy-typing gives Tyranitar an extra weaknessd nerf to worry about. The weather nerf causes Sand Stream sto only activate five turns at a time opposed to indefinitely, which XY really hurts Tyranit ar's biggest nichewell. Last but not least, it's incredibly slow, putting it behind a majority of the offensive metagame, and its Mega Evolution is somewhat easy to revenge kill because Tyranitar isif weak to almost every form ofened because of its priority weaknesses. However, even with its share of flaws, Tyranitar's incredible versatility and the immense amount of team support it provides is nearly unparalleled, making it one of the most defining Pokemon inof the OU metagame.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Pursuit
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Stone Edge
item: Choice Scarf

Moves
========

Tyranitar's abysmal SA speed stat becomes much more manageable with a Choice Scarf, allowing it to function as a solid revenge killer.y Pursuit allows Tyranitar to checkmasily outspeed and trap Gengar, Starmie, Latias, and Latios hitting them before they are even able to retaliate, which sets it apart from its other sets. Crunch provides Tyranitar with a backup Dark-type STAB to hit bulkier Pokemon such as Trevenanent and Slowbro pick better, more pertinent examples -- trevenant is pretty irrelevant, and even slowbro is to some degree -- mention slowbro and then something else that's more relevant in the metagame. Earthquake is very important for Aegislash it doesn't come near an ohko, mention this significant detail, who can otherwiseich could threaten to lower Tyranitar's Attack stat with King's Shield if it were locked intoon a Crunch or Pursuit, and it hits Lucario, Heatran, Bisharp, and Excadrill harder than anything else. Stone Edge rounds off the set by giving Tyranitar a Rock-type STAB to revenge kill dangerous sweepers such as Volcarona how is it rking +1 volc?, Mega Pinsir, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Charizard X, Talonflame, and Dragonite doesn't dragonite just take it out with +1 eq/outrage?. Tyranitar's decent special movepool gives it a few other options to choose from. Ice Beam can surprise the unsuspecting Landorus-T and Gliscor who would otherwise easily switch into this set, as well as allow it to revenge killing Garchomp and Landorus. Fire Blast is yet another alternative that fries bulky Steel-types such aslike Ferrothorn and Skarmory who take little damage from both of Tyranitar's STAB moves. If Terrakion and opposing Tyranitar are of issueconcern, Superpower is also an option.

Set Details
========

With maximum Speed investment and a Jolly nature, Tyranitar is able to outspeed base 115 Speed Pokemon and below, putting it above a decent portion of the metagame. The rest is dumped into its Attack stat in order to hit as hard as possible.

Usage Tips
========

Choice Scarf Tyranitar is one of the best Pursuit trappers in the game because it's able to outspeed every common Psychic- and Ghost-type Pokemon in the tier. Unlike it's other sets, Gengar and Starmie can no longert deal heavy damage to Tyranitar with Focus Blast or Hydro Pump respectivelytheir powerful attacks before being taken out by Pursuit. Keep in mind that even with a Choice Scarf, Tyranitar is still outsped by key Pokemon such as Alakazam, Tornadus-T, and Greninja, all of which can easily 2HKO Tyranitar with their coverage moves. Tyranitar's ability to revenge kill top tier threats such as both Mega Charizard forms, Mega Pinsir, Thundurus, Talonflame, and Gyarados, as well as being able to Pursuit trap, is invaluable for most teams, making it a great choice for offensive teams.this last sentence is not really a usage tip. maybe something for team options, but it has nothing to do with the in-battle decision-making and play that are supposed to be covered in this section (you do a great job btw !_!)

Team Options
========

Pairing Tyranitar pairs well with Pokemon that appreciate the lack of Ghost- and Psychic-types is a really good idea. Keldeo and Landorus in particular struggle to break through Latias and Latios, and; once they're gone, it's much easier for them to blow through opposing teams. Tyanitar itself needs a Pokemon to deal with Fighting-types; Mega Pinsir and Talonflame can check athe majority of the Fighting-types in OU m withat threaten Tyranitar because of their priority Flying-type attacks. Mega Venusaur has great defensive synergy with Tyranitar, as it is able to switch into Fighting-, Fairy-, and Water-type attacks with ease. As with most of its sets, Tyranitar appreciates being able to switch- in frequently, so pairing it with a Rapid Spinn user, such as Excadrill, or a Defogger like user, such as Skarmory, is highly recommended.

Dragon Dance
########
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Ice Punch / Crunch
item: Tyranitarite

Moves
========

Dragon Dance turns Mega Tyranitar into one of the most powerful sweepers in the metagame, capable of plowing through offensive and defensive teams alike. After one Dragon Dance, it hits a whopping 640 Attack and 397 Speed, giving it an insane amount of power to work with, along with enough Speed to outpace most of the unboosted metagame. Stone Edge is Mega Tyranitar's STAB move of choice, as it is able to OHKO pretty much anything that doesn't resist it after a boost and even easily 2HKO physically defensive Skarmory. Ice Punch provides Mega Tyranitar with a important coverage move to hit some of its common checks and counters really hard, such as Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Garchomp, while dealing solid damage to Hippowdon. Crunch on the other hand is a powerful Dark-type STAB move that hits Ferrothorn and Slowbro harder than anything else, but than Mega Tyranitar will struggle to break through bulky Ground-types. move this comment up to right after stone edge (you agreed to slash crunch there instead of with ice punch) and mention the accuracy benefit Earthquake rounds off the set by hitting Aegislash without having to worry about the massive Attack drop from King's Shield, as well as smashitting Lucario, Bisharp, Terrakion, Excadrill, and opposing Tyranitar i'd mention ohko on heatran before it can toxic or wisp you (before setup) -- also weakened keldeo for super effective damage. Fire Punch is a decent option in the last moveslot to always OHKO Scizor and Ferrothorn at +1, but Stone Edge already hits Scizor hard enough, and hitting Ferrothorn isn't really worth giving up the extra coverage that Earthquake has.

Set Details
========

Max Attack and Speed investment with a Jolly nature are so that Mega Tyranitar can hit as hard as possible while being able to outspeed a majority of the unboosted tiermetagame after a boost more like everything besides deo-s -- i'd be specific here because it's not a few things, it's one mon. Tyranitarite allows Tyranitar to Mega Evolve, which gives it a much higher Attack, Ddefenses, Special Defense and Speed stat. Although an Adamant nature mayight seem tempting due to the incredible boost in power, Mega Tyranitar will miss out on out speeding key Pokemon, such as Greninja and Alakazam.

Usage Tips
========

Aside from the obvious fact that Mega Tyranitar has a higher Attack and Speed stat, its buffed defenses are an incredible asset to it as well. It's so bulky, in fact, that it only takes 66.66 - 78.94% from Choice Band Scizor's Bullet Punch and 66.9 - 79.8% from Life Orb Greninja's Hydro Pump in the sand. This gives Mega Tyranitar the ability to set up on most Pokemon that lack a powerful super effective move to hit it with, as well as a few that do, such as Starmie, Kyurem-B, and Mega Pinsir. don't forget to mention the chomp/lando-t eqs we talked about -- this is probably the place to do so Even with this extra bulk, it isn't recommended to set up when its checks are still present, as most of its common checks can severely cripple Mega Tyranitar or put it into a range where it can easily be worn down by priority. Still, Mega Tyranitar can survive all forms of priority moves at least once at full health, so keep that in mind. Dragon Dance Mega Tyranitar fits very well on offensive teams that contain powerful wallbreakers and other sweepers that can break its common checks and counters in order for it to sweep. this last sentence is more like a team options thing, not a usage tip

Team Options
========

Common offensive Pokemon such as Mamoswine, Excadrill, Terrakion, Lucario, Scizor, Keldeo, and Conkeldurr all threaten to deal massive damage to Mega Tyranitar and prevent it from setting up to sweeping. Talonflame can handle most of the Fighting-types in the tier with its priority Brave Bird, and it can soften up physical walls so that Mega Tyranitar has an easier time sweeping. Keldeo is an amazing wallbreaker i wouldn't go this far, it has a lot of defensive checks that can easily break through Landorus-T, Hippowdon, and Gliscor, which are great checks to Mega Tyranitar. Scizor can check Clefable and Azumarill which threaten to stop Mega Tyranitar from sweeping. Entry hazards are very important in securing specific OHKOes at +1, such as Gliscor and Scizor. Deoxys-S or Deoxys-D are usually the best fit for the job because they fit very well on the offensive teams whichthat Mega Tyranitar is usually going to be on, and they can practically guarantee at least getting up Stealth Rock. you should mention wearing down mega venu, which can be a pain due to taking the +1 sedge and potentially sleep powdering tar, ending its sweep -- skarm can also be a big pain with whirlwind, in my experience

Physically Defensive
########
name: Support
move 1: Stealth Rock / Fire Blast
move 3: Ice Beam / Stone Edge
item: Leftovers
nature: Relaxed / Impish
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD

Moves
========

Tyranitar's massive Special Defense stat and impressive physical bulk makes it a perfect contender for a support set. Its useful Rock-typing gives it a key resistance to both the Flying- and Fire-type, which are two very common types that are seen on common threats such as Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, Heatran, and Mega Charizard X.the first two sentences here don't belong in moves -- a section to talk about moves -- you can move the info to usage tips if you want Because of Tyranitar's incredible bulk and useful resistances to Flying-, Fire-, and Dark-types, it's easily one of the most reliable users of Stealth Rock in the tier. However, if something else on your team is already using Stealth Rock, Fire Blast is a fine alternative to lurkill the bulky Steel-types, such as Skarmory, Scizor, and Ferrothorn, that Tyranitar lures out. Crunch is Tyranitar's STAB Dark-type move of choice to hit Psychic-types such as Latias and Latios, as well as Gengar. Ice Beam keeps Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Hippowdon from completely walling Tyranitar, as well as keeping Garchomp from freely switching in. Earthquake provides Tyranitar with a reliable way to hit Aegislash without having to worry about the massive Attack drop from King's Shield. Stone Edge can be used if you want Tyranitar to have a Rock-type move STAB to better handleOHKO Talonflame and Mega Pinsir maybe mention mega charizard y?. Pursuit can be used to trap Psychic-types such as Latios and Latias, but it's very weak without Attack investment, and Tyranitar prefers the extra coverage from Ice Beam.

Set Details
========

Investing heavily HP,Full physical defensive,investment with and using a +Defpositive nature allows forin conjunction with Tyranitar to's enormous sand-enhanced special bulk makes it one of the bulkiest mixed walls in the game. Leftovers is the preferred item for extra, much -needed longevity due tothat Tyranitar' does not otherwise possess due to its lack of reliable recovery. An Assault Vest can be used if you want Tyranitar to be an even better mixed wall, but it'll have to forgo the ability run Stealth Rock and it will greatly miss out on Leftovers recovery. Smooth StoneRock allows Sandstorm to be up for 8eight turns instead of five undefined, but the loss in longevity or extra bulk isn't really worth it, and Hippowdon is arguably a better choice for the job anyway because of its access to reliable recovery. Tyranitarite allows Tyranitar to Mega Evolve and obtain a significantly higher boost to both of its defenses and Attack stat. The downside of this is that it loses out on the ability to run Leftovers for extra longevity, so it is worn down quickly and also uses up your team's Mega slot. Chople Berry allows Tyranitar to take even less damage from Aegislash's Sacred Sword and Mega Charizard Y's Focus Blast in the sun, allowing Tyranitar to tank a hit and deal heavy damage to them in return.

Usage Tips
========

This set is best used on teams in need of a reliable user of Stealth Rock and check to very prominent physical attackers in the tier, such as Mega Pinsir and Talonflame. Although it's not nearly as sturdy as Hippowdon, Tyranitar still does a very good job at keeping the Sand up, so if your team needs Sand, this set is one of the best at keeping it up because of its insane amount of bulk. Tyranitar has the advantage of having a more offensive presence than Hippowdon, making it a better fit for more offensively based teams. Keep in mind that Tyranitar can be worn down relatively easily due to its lack of reliable recovery, so it's important to switch it in sparingly.

Team Options
========

Tyranitar is completely shut down by most Fighting-types, so pairing it with teammates that can both check and counter them is essential. Gourgeist and Trevanent are very good switch-ins to a large portion of Fighting-types in the tier, such as Keldeo, Lucario, Breloom, Conkeldurr and Terrakion, and they are able to burn them with Will-O-Wisp. Landorus-T checks Scizor and it can provide Tyranitar with free switch-ins thanks to U-turn. Talonflame checks all Fighting-types with priority Brave Bird and can roast Steel-types with Flare Blitz. Keldeo, Mega Charizard Y, and Landorus are great offensive partners because Tyranitar puts a lot of pressure on Latias and Latios. KFinally, keeping entry hazards off the field is essential in keeping Tyranitar healthy. Skarmory has great defensive synergy with Tyranitar and can use Defog to clear away entry hazards. Excadrill can not only abusutilize its Sand Rush ability to outrun virtually the entire tier when paired with Tyranitar, but it alsoand has access to Rapid Spin, making them great partners.

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 2: Pursuit
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Earthquake / Ice Punch
item: Choice Band
evs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe

Moves
========

When equipped with a Choice Band, Tyranitar becomes a fearsome wallbreaker capable of punching massive holes into opposing teams. Crunch is a powerful Dark-type STAB that hits anything that doesn't resist it extremely hard, and due to the Steel-type nerf, popular defensive PokemonSteel-types, such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory, can no longer reliably switch into it. It's best for hitting bulky Ghost- and Psychic-types such as Slowbro, Latias, and Jellicent. Pursuit is even more threatening on this set because it's capable of OHKOing Starmie, Latios, and even Latias with a bit of residual damage, even if they choose not to switch out. Stone Edge provides Tyranitar with yet another powerful STAB move to OHKO Mega Pinsir, Volcarona, Kyurem-B, and Talonflame, as well ain addition to hitting Fairy-types such as Azumarill for neutral, severe damage. Earthquake gives Tyranitar a way to hit Aegislash reliably without having to worry about the Attack drop from King's Shield, and it also hits Lucario and opposing Tyranitar for super effective damage. Ice Punch is a viable alternative to Earthquake if none of these threats are atn issue, as it allows for Tyranitar to deal heavy damage to Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Garchomp. Fire Punch is also an option for OHto KOing Ferrothorn and Scizor, but it doesn't supply Tyranitar with as much useful coverage as Earthquake or Ice Punch, because Stone Edge and Crunch hit both of these Pokemon hard enough anyway.

Set Details
========

The Attack EVs and an Adamant nature are toSpeed EVs ensure that Tyranitar hits as hard as possible, while the Speed EVs are to outpaceing Skarmory so it cand 2HKO it with Stone Edge on the switch before it can Roost off the damage. Everything else is dumped into its HP stat so it remains as bulky as possible.

Usage Tips
========

Choice Band Tyranitar is meant to function as a powerful wallbreaker that should be used on teams in need of something to soften up walls such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Gourgeist. This makes it a lot easier for a teammate to sweep or clean up once its counters are heavily weakened by Tyranitar. Tyranitar's insane bulk makes it more than capable of switching into a plethora of non-super effective special attacks, which can consistently put a lot of pressure on offensive teams that lack a good switch-in. Take caution when locking yourself into Crunch or Pursuit, because Lucario and Terrakion are very dangerous, and letting them get a free turn of set up or a Justified boost can potentially lose you the battle. Overall, this set does not function very well fast paced offensive teams because of how vulnerable it is once it's locked into a move due to its common exploitable weaknesses. It's a better fit on bulky offensive teams that need a wallbreaker to break down common defensive cores.

Team Options
========

Fighting-type Pokemon, such as Conkeldurr, Keldeo, and Terrakion, completely destroy Tyranitar, and don'ts they really mind eisist bother of its STAB moves i wouldn't go this far...each of these take ~half from Stone Edge, so they can't switch in more than once. Breloom is a great check to both Terrakion and Keldeo breloom, a great check? it can revenge kill with priority, that's about it -- your latios example is way better, while Latios resists their Fighting-type moveattacks and threatens them with Psyshock. Pairing Choice BandThis Tyranitar also pairs well with offensive partners that appreciate their counters heavily weakened is a great idea. Mega Scizor has a lot of trouble breaking through Skarmory, Landorus-T, and Gourgeist, but Tyranitar can soften them up to a point where it can sweep afterwards. Talonflame can checks nearly all the Fighting-types in the tier and it also enjoys physically defensive Pokemon heavily weakened. Sand Rush Excadrill benefits from Tyranitar's Sands Stream ability and it can also clear entry hazards off the field with Rapid Spin, which greatly improves Tyranitar's longevity.

Other Options
########

Tyranitar is a very versatile Pokemon, so it has plenty of other options to choose from. A specially defensive set can be used if you want Tyranitar to function as more of a special sponge, but it's not recommended because Tyranitar will primarily want to check physical attackers exactly how true is this? it's the best latios/latias counter in the tier. A lead Focus Sash attacker set with Fire Blast and Ice Beam can be a great lure to most physical walls such as Skarmory and Landorus-T, but it loses out on a lot of utility mention stealth rock for this set . A Curse set mayight seem viable because of Tyranitar's impressive defenses and a, especially in its Mega Evolution, but it's still very prone to being worn down quickly due to its exploitable weaknesses and lack of reliable recovery mention it's crappy speed here, so it's mostly overshadowed by the Dragon Dance set. Roar and Dragon Tail can phaze out sweepers that mayight try to set up on it, and it pairs very wells well as wear down the opposing team with entry hazard support. Thunder Wave can cripple Tyranitar's common switcheck-ins such as Lucario, Terrakion, and Keldeo. RestTalk is a lotmuch more viable sthis generategy ion XY due to the return of the old sleep mechanics, but it can't really fit the move combination anywhere without giving up a lot of coverage or utility. Aqua Tail hits Hippowdon harder than any other move in its arsenal, but it's better off running an Ice-type Aattack to beat Gliscor, Landorus-T, and Garchomp.

Checks & Counters
########

**Physically Defensive Walls**: Pokemon with very high physical dDefense have little trouble dealing with most of Tyranitar's sets. Hippowdon is the best full stop to Tyranitar in OU because of its access to reliable recovery, enormous physical bulk, and Ground-type, which allows it to easily switch into Stone Edge and Crunch with ease. Landorus-T and Gliscor are also fantastic checks to Tyranitar not really so fantastic when dd w/ ice punch is one of if not the most common set, fearing only a boosted Ice Punch from Mega Tyranitar and the stray Ice Beam. Skarmory fears very little from Tyranitar ats thanks to its access to Roost and high Defense stat can't switch into cb stone edge, and has to watch out for the random fire blast. Ferrothorn resists Stone Edge and, takes little from Crunch, and threatens to deal heavy damage with Gyro Ball. Chesnaught resists both of Tyranitar's STAB moves and can set up entry hazards all over it !@is setting up entry hazards really the most relevant thing it can do against ttar? more like, stall with leech seed or ko with hammer arm@.

**Fighting- and Ground-types**: Because of Tyranitar's crippling 4x weakness to Fighting-type attacks, Fighting-types are obviously some of the best checks to it in the game. Terrakion and Lucario can both receive an Attack boost with their Justified ability if they happen to switch into a Dark-type move. Keldeo , Breloom, and Conkeldurr also fear nothinglittle from Tyranitar and can easily OHKO it. Diggersby, Garchomp, and Landorus are also great checks to Tyranitar with their powerful Ground-type moves.attacks mention that garchomp, if is not carrying a life orb, does not even ohko mega tyranitar after stealth rock damage -- so, scarfchomp can't revenge kill it if it's high on health -- also phys def tar can just take around half from eq and kill it if it's lost ~20% with ice beam

**Steel- and Fairy-types**: Scizor is a fantastic check because of its priority Bullet Punch. Both of Excadrill's STAB moves threaten to deal serious damage to Tyranitar. Mega Mawile resists both of its STAB moves and can easily OHKO back with Play Rough it does take a hell of a lot from eq, though. Azumarill can also destroy Tyranitar with Play Rough, as well as picking off weakened Dragon Dance variants with Aqua Jet. Unaware Clefable can stop Mega Tyranitar short of a sweep, andbsorbing any attack with its great physical bulk and access to reliable recovery makes it very difficult to take down. stone edge does 2hko with sr + 1 layer of spikes, though, so clefable isn't exactly switching in for free if mega tar is paired with deo-d to stack hazards, which is common

**Politoed**: Politoed on its own is a huge threat to Tyranitar because of its Drizzle ability. This not only cancels out Tyranitar's Sand Stream ability upon activation, but also allows Politoed to fire offKO with its powerful Water-type moves which can easily OHKO Tyranitarattacks, as they are unhindered by sand. On top of thatis, Politoed is usually paired with other Water-types such as Kingdra or Kabutops, all of which also threaten Tyranitar.

fyi for anyone looking in: gary agreed to the overview overhaul. in parts there was a lot of wordiness and poor wording, so i made edits as needed. i also have some little things i missed in my qc lookover in some comments.

GP Approved 1/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)