ORAS PU Tweak my PU team!

Hi Everyone, long time lurker and battler, first time poster.

I've taken a strong liking to the PU metagame, having played it even when it was an unofficial tier (and having laughed heartily at every Wormadam lead I saw... truly those were some dark days, but I digress...)

This is the first team in PU that I've built from scratch that has had any modicum of success, but again, it could use some work.

Without further ado, here is my team with a short blurb about what they do...

Gentle Ben (Ursaring) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Swords Dance

Acts as both a wallbreaker and a late game sweeper. I have 6-0'd teams with this fellow before and he is very easy to use. I chose the SD variant over the Protect one as he does tend to cause quite a few switches, thus allowing a quick set-up. So far, he has proven to be a strong member of the team. His strengths out weigh his weaknesses.

Angry Birds (Dodrio) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Early Bird
Happiness: 0
- Brave Bird
- Knock Off
- Frustration
- Pursuit

Solid revenge killer who can take out Fighting types, grass types, and cripple eviolite mons. Took '0' happiness to screw over any potential Ditto's. Again, a very rather splashable pokemon that does exactly what it is meant to do, murder weakened opponents with it's STAB moves or click 'Knock off' when you are unsure about the opponents next move.

DerpFace (Pelipper) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Air Slash
- Scald
- Roost

Resident Defogger and he also checks a multitude of threats in the tier (physical Floatzel, Machoke etc.) Also spreads Scald burns.

It seems like this spot may be the one that needs changing; from what you guys have seen so far, the team seems rather offensive, is it perhaps possible that Pelipper is too passive? I tried Swanna and found her to be too frail (and the Hurricane misses fill me with murderous rage >_<).

On the other hand, if I take this guy off of my team, I have literally nothing that can reliably take a hit.

Again, let me know what I should do here.

GreenMachine (Simisage) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Superpower

The MVP of this team. Another wallbreaker who surprises unprepared opponents. Superpower murders Probopass and Regice, along with any other frail pokemon with a fighting weakness. Gunk Shot is for grass types or Clefairy sans eviolite, Knock Off cripples most of the defensive pokemon in the tier, and Leaf Storm hits everything with grass weakness extremely hard, or, alternatively, does huge damage to stuff that isn't specially bulky.

Boris (Golem) (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

Stealth Rock setter who doubles as a lead. Honestly, I've been really underwhelmed by him as everyone and their sister expects a Weakness Policy Golem nowadays, and thus, breaks sturdy with a weak move first or just goes for status. I mean, in theory, he fits well, patches up my electric weakness, and provides a much needed Normal and Flying check, but still, very disappointing thus far. Perhaps I just haven't been using him long enough for him to shine.

Mrs. Mime (Mr. Mime) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Filter
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

Murders dragons, causes headaches for offensive teams (the tier is jammed packed with them), murders fighters as well. Oh, and she uses healing wish to give a team member another chance.

I've been debating whether I should go with Nasty Plot over healing wish to have another setup sweeper on the team. I mean, if "Gentle Ben" goes down, the rest of the team simply doesn't have the raw power to break through bulky pokemon. Again, I trust the good folks on this forum to help me out.

So there's the team, hopefully you guys and gals can provide some advice; I've added a replay here to see the team in action... Haven't been using this team for too long, so sorry for the lack of replays.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-304011530

Thanks again everyone.

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
hi Commander Bort cool team you got here.
The main problem I noticed is that offensive threats such as Ice-types, mainly Regice, and specially attacking Water-types, such as Simipour and Floatzel, can spam their STABs and deal serious damage to basically everything on your team, and can even run over you in case Dodrio perishes, given it is a pretty shaky answer to them already, also pretty sure it can't fully stop Regice. Other threats can be Dark-types such as Mightyena and Pawniard, which can sweep you in case they manage to get few boosts, as your answer for most physical attackers is Pelipper and that is pressured pretty easily by offensive teams and Dark-type spams in general due to Stealth Rock + having to switch-in into Knock Off and support that goes along with that such as paralysis spam. Mightyena can gain boosts pretty easily by finishing off one of your weakened Pokemon, or can catch off-guard since it forces a lot of switches, while Pawniard takes advantage of Defog and Dodrio locked in a resisted move.

What you can do about that is first of all replacing Mr. Mime with Calm Mind Grumpig. CM Grumpig works similiarly to Mr. Mime as a wallbreaker, but provides you a reliable revengekiller / switch-in to Regice, also alleviates pressure for Pelipper when facing things such as Monferno. Additionally you can run Colbur Berry to bait in and KO Dark-types such as Pawniard and Mightyena. You lose Healing Wish support, but that is made up by the fact that now teammates are less pressured and have to take less damage into account, therefore they don't really need Healing Wish support most of the time. Though, giving set up / opportunities to spam its STAB to Regice is also up to your play and also how well you can play around it, therefore this change isn't really that fundamental, though you can try it out and see how it goes.

Something else to mitigate specially attacking Water-types can be to give a Specially Defensive focused spread to Pelipper, and replacing Simisage with Offensive (defensive works too) Tangela, to still have an answer to some physical threats, Pawniard and Mightyena included. Pelipper with a specially defensive spread will provide you a switch in to things such as Simipour and Choice Specs Floatzel, unless you get caught by Hidden Power Electric, but even then they become fodders for Grumpig / Ursaring, and you still can revengekill them with Choice Scarf Dodrio in emergency. Tangela is suggested so you at least have backup as you lost an answer to physical attackers: Tangela can still tank physically attackers such as Choice Band Floatzel and Mightyena pretty well, while it's still threatening on the offensive side. It's kind of fodder for Monferno but if you replace Mr. Mime with Grumpig it should not give you much problems. If you are ok to have a more defensive approach, and want to be even more safe against things such as Choice Band Stoutland, run a purely physically defensive spread.

Grumpig (M) @ Leftovers / Colbur Berry
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Signal Beam / Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Scald
- Air Slash

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Fire

or

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power Fire

Thank you so much for the rate Raiza. I'll definitely make those changes and test the team out.

I never even thought of using Grumpig, and yes, the extra fire and ice resistances could prove to be valuable.

Edit: also, I just noticed, having a defensive core where both teammates can heal off damage (with Roost and Regenerator respectively) is pretty baller... If I could give you two "likes" I would =P

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)