I've been thinking of a set revolving around Weakness Policy for this Pokemon:

Tsareena @ Weakness Policy
Jolly Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Speed / 4 Atk
- Trop Kick
- Play Rough
- High Jump Kick
- Synthesis

Basically the idea is to outspeed physical attackers and cripple them with Trop Kick, which combined with your bulk should hopefully allow you to survive a super effective move from them, which sets you up to start hitting really hard. Play Rough and High Jump Kick give you some hard hitting coverage moves and Synthesis can be used to recover lost health.

I've been thinking of a set revolving around Weakness Policy for this Pokemon:

Jolly Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Speed / 4 Atk
- Trop Kick
- Play Rough
- High Jump Kick
- Synthesis

Basically the idea is to outspeed physical attackers and cripple them with Trop Kick, which combined with your bulk should hopefully allow you to survive a super effective move from them, which sets you up to start hitting really hard. Play Rough and High Jump Kick give you some hard hitting coverage moves and Synthesis can be used to recover lost health.
'hopefully'
can you back this up with calcs of SE hits it could tank?

Also, there are still a lot of physical attackers that can easily outspeed jolly/max speed tsareena and KO or at least severely hurt it with SE hits.

'hopefully'
can you back this up with calcs of SE hits it could tank?

Also, there are still a lot of physical attackers that can easily outspeed jolly/max speed tsareena and KO or at least severely hurt it with SE hits.
I'm quite new to this so I'm unsure how to do the calculations, just wanted to put this idea out there. For reference I was aiming this set at lower than OU.

I've ran this thing in the battle tree and quickly realized that its offensive prowess is hindered greatly by insufficient move coverage. All you have to do is bring in a poison type and guess what: Trop Kick, Hi Jump Kick, Play Rough, U-Turn all walled. Fire also resists STAB and fairy, leaving you with only HJK and then you're walled by A-Marowak, Charizard, and a couple others. Rapid Spin doesn't do any damage and doesn't make up for its bad coverage at all so I wouldn't use my final slot on it. I guess what I'm saying is this set below will probably sweep a bit better, although Tsareena is definitely going to be a low tier mon.

Tsareena (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Trop Kick
- High Jump Kick
- Play Rough
- Return

Return allows you to actually leave a dent on poison types, and whatever else walls your other three moves. Choice Band is to make this thing scary, but you can run a different item if you'd like such as LO, Scarf, and whatever. If using scarf, switch nature to Adamant obviously.

I actually started an account here just to post some moveset ideas I had for Tsareena, as she's one of my fave mons from this gen, and I'd love to see a good viable set for her. When I started digging on my own, I was initially excited cause I thought Play Rough and High Jump Kick was great, unique coverage for a pure grass. But then I looked and saw that's pretty much all it gets in terms of coverage. Plus no boosting beyond Acupressure, and no Leaf Blade? I was bummed, to be sure. But seeing some of these sets filled me with hope for Tsareena, especially the assault vest ideas. As for myself, I already came up with a choice scarf set posted before, so I wanted to share a tweaked version of the weakness policy set someone posted as well.

Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Speed / 252 Atk
- Trop Kick
- Play Rough
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics

The idea here is, you can tank pretty much any non-boosted SE non-stab hit you will receive with Max HP Evs, then you get boosted and go to town. Fighting/Grass/Fairy/Flying is pretty darn good coverage, and obviously, after using the weakness policy, your acrobatics is now a base 110 move. The speed is obviously an issue, but if you're using a pokemon like Tsareena, you'll probably have some kind of speed control to mitigate the issue. You can surely play around with the EVs, if you like. For example 68 speed evs will outspeed neutral-natured uninvested base 80's, which isn't great, but will get you some outspeeds, and you can go from there with it, if you like. Just as an example of what you can take with max HP investment.

Garchomp's Poison Jab: 51.3 - 61.4% (that's with a lum berry, but even with a life orb, you aren't OHKO'ed)

As another idea, I wanted to toy with the idea of full support/utility Tsareena, since I'm fairly sure that it's the only pokemon that gets both rapid spin and aromatherapy.

Tsareena @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Speed / 4 Defense
- Aromatherapy
- Rapid Spin
- Trop Kick
- Light Screen/Toxic/Synthesis/U-Turn

The idea here is just full support like I said. It can do both cleric and spinner duties, while also lowering attack and potentially forcing switches with trop kick, with the last move just being whatever you might need for your team. Light Screen and Trop Kick go well together, I think, and you can never go wrong with toxic. Synthesis will definitely help sustainability. It's really up to you. The EVS here are just to maximize speed and overall bulk, but you can play around with these too by taking some out of speed and putting it into defenses to be more of a mixed tank. Personally, I would go with something like this if I wasn't worried about speed

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Defense / 252 Sp. Defense
Careful/Impish Nature

Again with trop kick, you're already lowering attack, so you will be deceptively bulky on the physical side, which is why it works with light screen, I think. But with full Sp.Defense investment along with it, you're going to be tanking a lot of things on both sides. Obviously, being a grass type tank isn't the best, so there are certain things you'll just want to stay away from altogether, but in regards to neutral hits or non-STAB super effective hits, here are just some things to consider, (And these are all without light screen)

252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tsareena: 75-90 (41.8 - 50.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Tsareena: 76-90 (42.4 - 50.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
4 SpA Celesteela Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tsareena: 66-78 (36.8 - 43.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Xurkitree Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tsareena: 68-82 (37.9 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Tapu Fini Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tsareena: 68-80 (37.9 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

In a lot of cases, you're going to be a 3HKO pokemon, which is why it might be worth to run synthesis, but at the same time, there isn't necessarily a ton you can do in return to a lot of these pokemon without running toxic, so really, it's a bit of a case of 4MSS, but I think one can make it work.

Overall, I'd say Tsareena is a pokemon with a lot of potential, even if it's not as a straight physical sweeper. Its movepool is limited in terms of coverage, but it has definite utility, and the stats to mostly back it up. I only wish it had just a little more, personally. Either a little more HP to really solidify that bulk, a little more attack to hit like a bus, more speed to make a choice scarf set really work, or some more coverage options so that certain types don't just wall you out entirely, but I can see it as a solid UU tier utility mon for sure. Being a bulkyish grass rapid spinner gives it enough of a niche alone.

I've actually had a bit of success with the Scarfed set. It's not going to outspeed something like Phero, but she does outspeed Ash-ninja (she can even tank an Ice Beam if it's scarfed) and neutral-natured base 150's.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-501751972
Scarf-Tsareena pretty easily stops lead Mamoswine. You might think that first turn missed mattered, but...
-1 252+ Atk Mamoswine Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tsareena: 206-246 (72.2 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-501670033
She didn't do much in this game, but outspeeding Mimikyu to break its Disguise was crucial to winning near the end.
Also, Tsareena stops Comfey.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-501697481
You're immune to Draining Kiss and Leech Seed, making it very easy to PP-stall Synthesis while you spam Trop Kick. Probably isn't that significant, but I managed to get swept by the Calm Mind variant earlier today so it might save someone else.

I do want to try the bulky support set eventually, if anyone has some replays or good partners feel free to share.

Edit/Addition: More footage of Scarf Tsareena doin work and taking names.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-502376919
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-502742160 (seems like they ragequit after she outspeed A-raichu but oh well)
252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tsareena: 172-203 (60.3 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (this one wasn't life orb but just to prove a point)
252 Atk Tsareena U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raichu-Alola: 250-296 (95.7 - 113.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Last edited:
Finally got to use some bulky spin-support Tsareena, and I have to say it works pretty well. If anything it has more opportunities to come in than the Scarf set (though that might have been because it was UU), and the set does respectable damage with hardly any investment.
Have a few replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankuualpha-508398648
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankuualpha-508413060
and the spread if anyone's curious
Froot (Tsareena) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Trop Kick
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy

I wonder if Tsareena would've been better being Grass/Fighting. STAB HJK and resistance to rocks would've helped her particularly as a spinner, but is it worth the weakness to Fairy and getting destroyed even more by Flying?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
It could switch into earthquake/rock/poison/dark Ithe would be wonderful.

Really I think looking at its Z moves would be great, it gets splash, grass whistle gives You +1 speed it's only truly disappointing stat

Idk it's item options are amazing

I wonder if Tsareena would've been better being Grass/Fighting. STAB HJK and resistance to rocks would've helped her particularly as a spinner, but is it worth the weakness to Fairy and getting destroyed even more by Flying?
I really wanted it to get chlorophyll but it got shitty leaf guard instead. This ability has never been good and never will be good. A Grass/Fighting Chlorophyll user with Tsareena's stats and movepool would have been legit insane honestly.

We haven't gotten a chlorophyll user in two gens now :(

Finally got to use some bulky spin-support Tsareena, and I have to say it works pretty well. If anything it has more opportunities to come in than the Scarf set (though that might have been because it was UU), and the set does respectable damage with hardly any investment.
Have a few replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankuualpha-508398648
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankuualpha-508413060
and the spread if anyone's curious
Froot (Tsareena) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Trop Kick
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy
I love that T.S.A.R. set too (look at the first letters of her attacks). Have you considered using the special defensive support set I posted in here? Its not as specially bulky but it is does respectable chip damage to walls and threatening damage to offensive mons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)