Triples Warstory: Moldy Oldies

Good to get a nice taste of triple battles. And Shuckle was VIP of this match.

I like how you truly tried to utilize strategy in your teams. Each team member served a purpose and wasn't just dead weight. Your warstory also shows the importance of who is in the center slot and who isn't.

Very nice, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I knew I was going to like it just because of the format but it was a very original battle, not just for the use of Triples as the basis, but from all the strategies and positioning. The tactics inspired me; I instantly went to work strategizing on a triple battle team. Keep on writing!

Moral of the story: Don't fuck with Shuckle.

And I <3 Slaking. That thing is a beast once you get rid of Truant.
I agree with you sprocket. Shuckle may not look like much but man is it a pain when used right. Nice use of gastro acid on slaking, too! I haven't seen many triple battles on PO and I am very happy to see that someone gave a triples warstory a shot. I'm rather surprised your opponent was a sport and didn't just post "gg" and left, even though there was no chance of him mounting a come back. Triple battles will definitely be something I would do for fun when I get around to it.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I loved this battle, now that I got enough time to read it. I'm interested in your innovative use of Shuckle. Maybe I just had bad luck when i was playing triples, because it seemed really chaotic when I played it. Thankfully, you've shown I was wrong!

Fantastic battle, TMN - your war stories always prove to be entertaining and thought provoking. Just when I'm getting used to double battling strategies, you leap ahead and introduce these new triples strategies haha! Definitely will be trying out triples sometime soon.

I noticed that you have two starter pokemon (Infernape + Serperior) on your team. Have you experimented much with the pledge moves introduced in this generation? I faced a doubles team the other day that used pledges really effectively. Fire + Grass hurts your opponents each turn, effectively breaking sashes and helping Shuckle whittle down opponents' HP. Just an idea because you definitely have the pokes to pull it off.

Also, Alomomolalala (whatever the Lovedisc look alike is called this gen) seems like he could be a better water support pokemon than Mantine in the triples realm. The fish also gets Wide Guard, can support with Heal Pulse, Helping Hand, Wish, and it's ability, Healer would definitely help out your team since you're not running Taunt on Zam anymore.

Anyways, great team - looking forward to reading more of these soon!

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, thanks Baron!

I had considered both the Pledge moves and Alomomola on the team. A lot of the reason I chose not to go for them was because I wanted my new Pokemon (Serperior and Mantine) to fill the niches left by Bellossom and Politoed. Close Combat/Overheat/Acrobatics/Fake Out/White Herb is working so well on Infernape that I don't know where I'd stick Fire Pledge.

I chose Mantine over Alomomola because I wanted to have a Pokemon that could fire off Water and Ice attacks that actually had some power. With Shuckle and Serperior already lacking in raw firepower, I didn't want another Pokemon that couldn't directly dish out the damage. But maybe that doesn't outweigh the advantages that Alomomola could bring to the table. Healer and Heal Pulse would be a really big help to Slaking especially. Maybe I'll train one and try it.

Well, I never thought I'd see a non-Power Trick Shuckle KO a Bronzong. Then again, I've never read a Triples warstory before. Good job! I've got to try Triples now. Keep writing! 10/10

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
There was the odd misplay (moreso from your opponent) but overall it was a very well written story, I enjoyed it from beginning to end and it's made me want to try out Triples. Luvdisc from me!

Your opponent was absolutely horrible. I'm watching the battle on Wi-Fi, and ALL of their Pokémon are in Ultra, Great, Timer, etc. Balls (it looks like they just randomly caught them, taught them some TM's and brought them to Wi-Fi without EV'ing at all) - at least your Pokémon were in Poké Balls.. Anyway, the opponent was horrible as they only knew what their Pokémon's moves did (so they knew to use slow Pokés), and nothing else.

Not much else to say. It's very easy to beat people like that.

First of all, I'm amazed that this battle is still online.

Also, while I don't think TMN did this to brag, the battle was more about his side than the opponent's and as a taste test into a new format. Hence:

Now I'll tell you right up front that in this match both I and my opponent make some misplays. It's also a bit longer than most Triple Battles. Still, it gives you a sample of what they're like, especially for those of you who haven't tried them yet.
I can't even remember what I ate this morning, so I definitely don't remember the Smogon community's view of the Triples metagame 3 months ago, but I imagine that people had little to no idea of what it was like and weren't interested enough to find out. TMN showed a battle against a less-than-stellar opponent but gave us from his side a look into the immense level of creativity possible in the game.

It was very good and you showed some really nice strategy, i really ilked the Alakazam move, I forgot what it was, eve though in the end it didn't do what you thought it would. Very well written and I hope you write more of these

although most people say the hypnosis was a misplay, your opponent was probably trying to sleep slaking as soon as it switched to the middle, as it had no moves to hit from the opposite side.
other than that it was a great battle, especially so for triples.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)