XY OU Trick Room Bludgeoning Brigade

So I wanted to make a Trick Room team that would lead to quick decisive victories or losses, more or less the hyper offense of Trick Room. Here's what I came up with:

Before giving pokémon breakdowns, I thought I'd go through a bit of the thought process of what I thought was important when building this team:

1. I need to break sashes and sturdy. Trick Room is only in place for a very limited number of turns, and so I can't have a sash or sturdy ruining one of my sweeper's fun. Solution: Hazards are vital, and a mon with a multiple hitting move is desirable.
  2. I need to be able to deal with substitutes and stall strategies involving substitute. Substitutes can again stop a sweep and lead to a sweeper going down early. Solution: Taunt on something, and a multiple hitting move, as well as suicide moves that can hopefully break subs.
  3. Sleep is an issue. Sleep is a big problem to this team as it complete neuters one mon. Solution: Use a breloom that can handle other brelooms.
  4. I need to be able to deal with Talonflame. Talonflame's priority damage is crazy, and capable of decimating my team if it gets the chance. Solution: Use SR and use Carbink as a hard counter.
  5. I need to reliably set Trick Room, and the setters need to be able to switch out to sweepers reliably too. Solution: Focus on Trick Room users with good suicide moves (to allow sweepers to come in unscathed) that can be brought in with relative ease.

Uxie @ Red Card
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Memento
- Magic Coat
- Stealth Rock

The role of Uxie is like Deoxys-D's previous role in OU - to set up reliably. Magic Coat should prevent taunting, whilst Memento gives my sweepers an easy in even against one of their counters. If I don't use Uxie as my lead, Red Card can be used mid game to shuffle the opponent, and it also messes with opening strategies when used as a lead. Uxie has the bulk to take any super-effective hits I've seen.

Victini @ Air Balloon
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- V-create
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick Room
- Final Gambit

Victini has good bulk and a great damaging move in V-create should I need to fall back on the sucker for a sweep. Final Gambit does a lot of damage with Victini's health investment (for those of you unaware, it faints the user and inflicts damage equal to its health) allowing for Victini to OHKO things like Heatran barring SR, and at the very least between V-create and Final Gambit it should almost always make a dent before going down. I was running Taunt over Will-O-Wisp previously, but I think Will-O-Wisp might be more useful by again offering set-up opportunities. The Air Balloon has great synergy with Mawile, allowing me to make an unexpected switch to Victini on an easy to predict ground move.

Carbink @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Power Gem
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock
- Trick Room

Carbink shines by being the only TR user with sturdy, and having tremendous bulk - so even when his sturdy is broken by hazards he should be able to survive (I've seen him take a +2 Bullet Punch from Metagross for example). Mental Herb ensures I can at least get Trick Room set against a Taunt user, and SR means that between him and Uxie I should be able to most of the time get Hazards set. Explosion takes off a sizable chunk off most things. Last but not least, Power Gem OHKOs Talonflame with the investment I've presented, turning Carbink into a hard counter against anything but a Steel Wing Variant (which no one uses anyway); he can also take out Mega Pinsir most of the time, being able to take an EQ pretty easily.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
Brave Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum

Belly Drum allows Azumarill to boost his attack sky high, making him very challenging to deal with considering his great coverage; sometimes a boost isn't necessary against the right team. Having attack that high also insulates against burns to an extent, half of an extremely high attack stat is still an extremely high attack stat.

Breloom @ Lansat Berry
Ability: Technician
Brave Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Natural Gift (100 BP Flying)
- Swords Dance

With Natural Gift, Breloom can lure grass types in and OHKO all of them at the +2 - most notably Mega Venusaur. Even when a grass type isn't on the scene, it's good neutral coverage. He also can't be put to sleep, and is a great counter for other Brelooms. Bullet seed allows him to get past some substitutes depending on the mon in question. Though I do feel the pinch for not having the Lum Berry/Spore set I was using before, I think Natural Gift is in most cases worth it. Breloom is the best check to Heatran I have.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Taunt
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough

Intimidate allows for easy entry for Mawile, especially off the back of Memento or a Victini burn. Sucker Punch and Play Rough have good coverage, and Taunt means you can make Sucker Punch consistently hit (plus it can help with set up - Taunting a Rotom-W for example to avoid the burn and then using SD; and it's a failsafe against Whirlwind Skarmory should I not get hazards down to break his sturdy).

Threats:
  • Bulky Zapdos can be a pain in between TR bursts.
  • Chandelure walls Victini, which is an issue.
  • Mega Venusaur, Heatran, Talonflame and Mega Pinsir can all be issues if the measures in place to take them out fall.
  • Ferrothorn can be tricky to take down, but he's certainly not insurmountable.
  • Chandelure walls Victini entirely, which can also be annoying.
So there you have it. I'm open to any suggestions on different TR setters and sweepers, though I do want to retain the offensive focus (previous setters I've tried - Chandelure with Air Balloon, Memento and Infiltrator which was useful for substitute pokemon, Celebi which was handy when I didn't want to use Breloom and wanted sleep insulation. Previous sweepers - notably Mega Heracross, but he was far too weak to Talonflame).

Hey there,I suggest Substitute over Taunt for Mega Mawile as Substitute blocks out status moves too but gives you an opportunity to Attack or set up an SD,Taunt also runs the risk of stalling out your own TR but substitute may give you another turn to act.I also feel that your team will easily get walled by a Physical Wall and you need some Special Walls and Attackers present in your team. Also,have you considered Cresselia over Uxie?

I still think I'll stick with Taunt on Mawile, whilst I can see what you're saying I do think I need something I can use against phazers; for example Heatran is a very common switch as very few Mawiles have Brick Break and Focus Punch doesn't have any place on a Trick Room team. Most Heatrans will then Roar, as they don't want to take a Sucker Punch and won't take much from Play Rough so it's a fairly easy choice.

I've not had any problems with physical walls so far barring Venusaur before I made Breloom lure him, after one boost any of the sweepers are very strong and I almost always have SR in play to make things easier.

As for Cressilia, I'm less concerned about healing my pokemon as I am about providing hazard support and set up opportunities. Though she is a better wall, she isn't that much better that she would make a difference, and she isn't really lead material either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)