Pokémon Toucannon

Status
Not open for further replies.

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
What I mean is that if anything Dodrio would be NU at worst. I wasn't implying that it was a guarantee.

Pivot
TOOT CANNON (Toucannon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Beak Blast
- Overheat
- Bullet Seed
- U-turn

I've been trying several Toucannon sets and this one is the one I've had the most success with. Of course, "most success" is an overstatement considering that only OU and Pokebank OU are playable, and Toucannon is likely NU at best. But this set will likely be good for Toucannon wherever he ends up. EVs go into Special Attack to patch up his lackluster SpA stat, and HP because this set relies on Toucannon being as slow as possible. Quiet nature and 0 speed IVs also minimize Speed. Leftovers help with longevity, and work pretty well because Toucannon isn't terribly frail.

As for moves, I went with Beak Blast as a powerful, no-drawbacks, 100 BP move that can also burn foes (Toucannon is so slow that he doesn't mind the reduced priority). Overheat hits decently hard thanks to the investment in SpA, and is good at breaking through Steels. Bullet Seed is for coverage, especially for Rocks, and U-turn couples with minimum speed to pivot out for a safe switch-in.

Good partners for this Toucannon variant would be Stealth Rock removers like Hitmonchan and Heal Bell/Aromatherapy users like Audino.

I still predict that Toucannon has potential in NU as a versatile Pokemon that can run many sets effectively. The aforementioned set is the one I like the best, but I have yet to test out a Double Dance set so maybe that will change. But the mixed set I posted above differentiates Toucannon from other Normal/Flying types, most of which are either physical or special.

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Considering that NU is certainly losing Swellow, this'll be a nice addition (if we get it). It's like a mix between Swellow and Cincinno, albeit a lot slower. Access to Overheat and Bullet Seed makes traditional Flying switch-ins coin-flip or straight out die, something which Swellow couldn't do. Its definite best set/sets will be mixed ones, though I could see Boomburst being alternated between Return. Whilst Beak Blast is an interesting move, -3 priority and a potentially wasted move-slot depending on match-up makes it more gimmicky than actually useful; especially because they have to make actual contact. Might be a cool suicide move however.

Whilst Beak Blast is an interesting move, -3 priority and a potentially wasted move-slot depending on match-up makes it more gimmicky than actually useful; especially because they have to make actual contact. Might be a cool suicide move however.
Considering Toucannon's speed is bad (Base 60 puts it on par with Incineroar and Primarina, neither of which are fast by any definition), the only things it'll be outspeeding are walls and the like, who won't really be directly attacking Toucannon anyway, so it doesn't really mind the -3 Priority on the actual attack, and the priority on the charge-up allows it to punish even Fake Out users by giving them a burn. There's really no reason to use Brave Bird over Beak Blast. Most of the 'mons that CAN bypass Toucannon's Beak Blast can basically murk it with Stone Edge and thus are things that Toucannon needs to stay away from anyway.

Love the look, love the unique move. Skill link is actually great for breaking subs which is something I don't think any other bird can do. being able to auto burn any physical attacker is great too.

However, it has some tough compition for other birds. People point to Bravary for slightly better in strength speed and HP, but you need to run a recoil move to do massive damage, and Super power is good for steel checks, but lowered attack sucks. I think the better comparison should go to Staraptor. Same attack as Toucannon, 100 base speed, but its bulk is a little worse. it does also get intimidate and Close COmbat, the much better fighting move then Super Power, since you don't lower your attack at all.

Toucannon has its strengths though. Like I said, only bird in the series that gets skill link for sub/sash/sturdy breaking, plus Beak blast is the strongest phsyical bird move with no recoil, which is always nice. Its just when you are choising him, you are also going to be choosing between the other 2 birds listed.

Although I love Toucannon, even its main niche (the Beak Blast set) is almost useless since Sun/Moon introduced the new item Protective Pads.

Quoting Serebii:

"An item to be held by a Pokémon. These pads protect the holder from effects caused by making direct contact with the target."

I don't really know which Pokémon can make full use of this new item, but it can completely hinder Toucannon's utility as suicide physical burner, since Protective Pads ignore items/abilities/effects when making contact with the Pokémon (like Beak Blast's burn, Static, Poison Point, Flame Body, Rough Skin, Iron Barbs, and Rocky Helmet/Sticky Barb)

:/
I guess a full contact mon, like the set i run for Kartana, and that doesn't want to hit a King's Shield or Beak Blast.

I think as far as bird spam goes, Toucannon actually carves a niche for itself as both a wallbreaker and with the utility of suicide Beak Blast.

Toucannon @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Beak Blast
- Overheat
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast

Think about all the common switch-ins for bird spam. Toucannon has something for all of them.

252+ Atk Life Orb Toucannon Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Zapdos: 325-390 (84.6 - 101.5%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Toucannon Bullet Seed (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-Wash: 260-310 (85.8 - 102.3%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO
0- SpA Life Orb Toucannon Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 231-273 (69.1 - 81.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Obviously Ferrothorn is destroyed by Overheat. Scizor cannot stay in on Toucannon without dying or at least being crippled by burn if it tries to Bullet Punch.

I think this Pokemon is ultimately too slow to be OU material, but it can do things. Being able to run 4 moves with over 120 base power is unique and awesome. Honestly the lower tiers might not be able to handle it.

252+ Atk Life Orb Toucannon Bullet Seed (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 450-545 (103.6 - 125.5%)

Braviary who?

A physical defensive set can work in OU to act as a safeguard against all the physical sweepers except charizard x.
With beak blast its pretty much a guaranteed switch out or burn. Even if it get knocked out it can prevent your team from getting swept.

Toucannon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Beak Blast
- Roost
- Bullet Seed /Toxic
- Rock Blast

How much does Z-Tailwind boost your crit rate?Regular levels?Could make an interesting Skill Link set.

Thanks for the response Drangonn. So the skill link Bullet Seed, Rock Blast, Blast Beak, Roost set is what you'd think is the best way to utilize the Mon?
I opted for Overheat over Roost since if it takes a hit it likely won't take it well enough that Roosting will help, and the only type that resists it's other 3 moves is Steel and it's got enough SpAtk that it'll hurt them a decent bit and punish the switch (idk bout ohko or anything but yeh) and the SpAtk drop won't hurt ya since you're mostly relying on your Atk for the rest of your moves

I've been using this set with quite good success against physical attackers

Toucannon (M) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Beak Blast
- Bullet Seed/Rock Blast
- Return
- Roost

The idea is to lead with Beak Blast, meaning the attacker wil get a burn AND damage from the Rocky Helmet. Then the reduced Attack caused by the burn lets you Roost your Victory away while the opponent kills himself on your Rocky Helmet.
Max HP Investment helps you tanking most neutral hits (and even some super effective hits) and Max Atk gives you everything you need to retaliate afterwards.

The rest of its movepool is up to you, depending on the coverage you need

Of course, you don't wanna switch into a Special Attacker...

I know there's surely more effective sets, but this one is quite fun and gives satisfying results

Also, this bird does a fine job of dealing with Mimikyu or Sturdy users

Last edited:
i dont get why not use beak blast in a stallbreaker set?? if anything, beakblast would be the best option since most likely your opponent will get burned and if its a phys attacker then that gives you a little opportunity to stall with roost. also this has to be the best normal/flying type right after braviary and staraptor (swellow is really fragile and facade set is way to predictable) so im gonna give this bird some love

Last edited:
i dont get why not use beak blast in a stallbreaker set?? if anything, beakblast would be the best option since most likely your opponent will get burned and if its a phys attacker then that gives you a little opportunity to stall with roost. also this has to be the best normal/flying type right after braviary and staraptor (swellow is really fragile and facade set is way to predictable) so im gonna give this bird some love
Swellow is a much better Bird and has been using a specs set for ages..

As for me thoughts on toucannon its likely gonna end up in PU or a niche breaker in NU that should drop but won't. All in all the qualities it has while good just are surpassed by the negatives lt possess ala mediocre bulk for its typing and fairly low speed against offense/some balance builds.

Cool breaker though look forward to using it in a tier it has actual merit in

question is, why the hell would you use protective pads over a much more useful item???? i don't see it
the only thing I can think of would be for pokes that run stuff like Brave Bird or Flare Blitz, where taking recoil + iron barbs or something would hurt MASSIVELY and life orb already wasn't an option so you're not sacrificing too much. that and frail revenge killers

Hi guys, this is the first time I post in smogon, so don't be rude if I commit some mistakes.
I've been playing Pokemon SD for a couple of weeks now (I started playing PVP in pokemon XY) but I take it seriously, I really like to plan my team, and make some numbers (I'm an engineer LOL).

I must say I am ranked arround 1150, and I had relatively good success with Toucannon. Of course, he's kind of situational, but can deal lot of damage in mid-late game and prepare the field for your few remaining pokemons.
For example, the opponent has left Garchomp with Choice Scarf and a Tapu. You have left Toucannon and Mega Metagross. You are now facing Toucannon vs Garchomp. If you could hit Tapu with Beak Blast you could kill him or nearly, but not Garchomp. So, all you have to do is beak Blast anyway: if Garchomp gets burned, Metagrosss could finish the job. If he changes to Tapu... it's a win/win.

My Toucannon set:

Toucannon (F) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Beak Blast
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast
- Brick Break (although Roost could also be a good option)

I repeat: I'm not a pro, but I usually get at least 1 pokemon down and 1 burn with him, and in some games I take 2-3 down. MID-LATE game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)