Top Gear discussion

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I couldn't find this anywhere on Smogon, so I thought, "Why not?"

Anyway, I don't watch TV shows a lot, but one of the ones I do watch a lot is Top Gear. No, not the really dumb Australian one or the American one that seems to be trying too hard to be like the British Top Gear. I mean the real deal, the Top Gear straight from Britain.

Anyway, I made this thread to find out how many of you have heard of Top Gear, and if you have, what do you like about the show? Are you The Stig?

Now, I like Top Gear not for the cars. If I liked a show for the cars, I'd be watching Fifth Gear. I watch Top Gear for the humor. The presenters manage to make a show about cars just completely hilarious. I mean seriously, Jeremy Clarkson compared a G-Wiz to a table. You can't get that in your Car and Driver magazine! The "Buy *insert type of car here* for under *insert low amount of cash here*" are great too, especially because if you can imagine something going wrong in that, it WILL go wrong and more.

So, what are your views on Top Gear? Any one of them; British (aka best), Australian, or American.

Uhhh

So, what are your views on Top Gear? Any one of them; British (aka best), Australian, or American.
as in only saw 1 episode each of Australian and American because they couldn't stand up to the expectations I had after watching the British one for so long (as in I think I've seen almost every episode...some way too many times).

I watch it equally for the cars and humor. My favorite show hands down, a friend once asked me if I would sacrifice every other show on TV for one more season of Top Gear (UK)... I said yes.

Favorite episodes would have to be the 1500 quid coupe challenge, the second amphibious car challenge (Nissan >> English channel), the GT-R vs Bullet Train, the Polar special, the Botswana special, the US car special... I should stop, I'll be here all night...

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Uhhh

as in only saw 1 episode each of Australian and American because they couldn't stand up to the expectations I had after watching the British one for so long (as in I think I've seen almost every episode...some way too many times).

I watch it equally for the cars and humor. My favorite show hands down, a friend once asked me if I would sacrifice every other show on TV for one more season of Top Gear (UK)... I said yes.

Favorite episodes would have to be the 1500 quid coupe challenge, the second amphibious car challenge (Nissan >> English channel), the GT-R vs Bullet Train, the Polar special, the Botswana special, the US car special... I should stop, I'll be here all night...
As I said, British = Best.

I probably shouldn't even attempt to list all of my favorite parts of Top Gear, I'd write an essay on it... That is, if you count 1000+ pages as an essay rather than a book.

The British show is better because it's the original, simple. Also, related topic: Forza 4 and how amazing it is (including the British narrations and Autovistas)

And the Hennessey Venom GT is the sickest car in the world

I've never actually seen an Australian or American episode, but I'm a great fan of the British TopGear. Shows like Fifth Gear bore me to dust, but I like the dry, British humor in TopGear, which takes it to a whole new level.

Is it green? Yes. Very.

I swear I love this show so much. I've watched pretty much every single episode since my dad introduced me to it like 7-8 years ago and loved every one. I guess it's easier with me being a UK guy so I can watch it live, idk. It's definately the best car show on television and deserves all the "Best Factual Program" awards it's been getting, if you can call it factual. You're right when you say you don't watch it for the cars, but for the ridiculous shit they do. Reliant Robin space shuttle was hilarious, but actually a lot of the fun for me stems from the fact that despite the ridiculous challenges they set themselves (reach the north pole in a car when nobody as done it before, cross the channel in a diy amphibious car etc.) they often actually manage to succeed. I really enjoy a lot of their races too, Bugatti Veyron vs light aircraft had me on the edge of my seat the first time I watched it.
Having said all that, it does feel a little bit like it's drawing to a close for me. They're running out of insane things to attempt, and without them the show will lose a lot of its appeal. I could be wrong though, and I sincerely hope I am, because Top Gear is probably in my top 3 tv shows of all time.

Definitely one of the best shows of all time, idk how the Top Gear spin-off fad started but they're all awful in comparison. It's hard to pick out favorite things because all of their car vs. public transport races, challenges and car reviews are hilarious but the Peel P50 review comes to mind.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I loved that Peel P50 review. It's just... Hilarious (then again, it WAS Jeremy Clarkson doing that review)

I don't know what's up with all the spin-off series, but my best guess is that they're trying to localize the series in different locations or something. But still, when you've seen the original for so long, they seem out of place (regardless, I've found that no matter what's in question, I've found the originals to always be better)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)