top 5 most broken pokemon in randbats

i have lost a lot of randbats over the last few months. you name a pokemon, i've probably lost to it. however, there are five pokemon in particular that stand out to me as near-autowins for whoever gets them. spoiler alert: it usually isn't me who gets them. so here they are.

5. dustox
i think i beat an RU room mod a while ago with a dustox team and i have humbled many geomancy xerneas in ubers with whirlwind max sp.def dustox, so i'm already aware of how strong a pokemon it can be. so it follows that dustox also happens to be strong in randbats. once i almost got 6-0ed by a dustox because it took 30% or something at best from my pokemon's attacks and got to +6. the only reason i say i almost got 6-0ed by a dustox is that i had already removed a pokemon from the opposing team before it entered the battle. otherwise, if i hadn't done that beforehand, i would have actually gotten 6-0ed by a dustox. point is that iron defence + quiver dance dustox is just too strong. sometimes. but that's enough to make it here.

4. shuckle
i recently faced a shuckle with a lum berry regular salamence. i got to +2, got toxiced after my second boost, then clicked earthquake. now, if we factor out the glaringly obvious point that i may have forgotten that earthquake doesn't hit shuckle super effectively, imagine my shock when i saw that +2 earthquake did about 24%. so then i clicked outrage. but this shuckle had protect. the outcome was that i got to hit one outrage while my salamence got toxic stalled. then to add insult to injury my salamence hit itself in its confusion when outrage ended and removed the last 4% of its health with a self-inflicted wound while the shuckle on the other side just sat there looking at me. as if to say, "what"? i'll tell you what shuckle. you're broken. which is why you're on this list.

3. xerneas
see, xerneas wouldn't be on this list if i ever rolled xerneas on my teams. it would be a lot less broken in my eyes if i ever had the opportunity to use it. but i don't. i NEVER get xerneas. at least, i can't remember the last time i got xerneas, and i have incredible recall of the last five minutes. instead, i'm always the one that loses to it. so i think this makes xerneas pretty broken.

2. unown
ever seen a choice specs unown OHKO a venomoth? i have. that just shouldn't happen. and it was an unown-p, of all things. i thought the p stood for 'pathetic' but it actually stands for 'powerful'. i know, news to me as well.

1. noctowl
here we are: hands-down the most broken pokemon in randbats. every time i see this on my screen and hear its cry as it is sent out, my heart sinks and i type 'oh fuck' or something to that effect in the battle chat. and why wouldn't i? i don't think i've OHKOed many noctowl. it's so bulky. and it's also pretty fast in the world of randbats. so there are plenty of opportunities for noctowl to decide i won't be clicking an attack today. "<pokemon> flinched and couldn't move!" yep, that's the noctowl-is-on-the-other-side-of-the-field-and-my-fate-is-sealed experience. if that wasn't enough, noctowl also gets reliable recovery, a phazing move, and hypnosis. now, it generally doesn't run all of those and air slash at the same time. i think. much like with xerneas i never actually get noctowl so i wouldn't be able to tell you. unlike xerneas, when i do it suddenly becomes bottom 5 broken pokemon in randbats. but that's neither here nor there. sorry for going off on a tangent. back to what i was actually trying to say, noctowl always seems to have the perfect set to totally counterteam me. i struggle to sleep at night sometimes knowing that somewhere out there in my future, noctowl is going to surprise me in a randbat. i guess that's why noctowl's ability is insomnia, because that's what facing it in randbats gives you.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
thanks aurora, great thread

it's a little-known secret that i'm actually not much of a pokemon player, so a list like this is super helpful for a big ol' Noobie like myself lol

next time i try out "randbats", i'll be sure to put these five pokemon in my team

4. shuckle
i recently faced a shuckle with a lum berry regular salamence. i got to +2, got toxiced after my second boost, then clicked earthquake. now, if we factor out the glaringly obvious point that i may have forgotten that earthquake doesn't hit shuckle super effectively, imagine my shock when i saw that +2 earthquake did about 24%. so then i clicked outrage. but this shuckle had protect. the outcome was that i got to hit one outrage while my salamence got toxic stalled. then to add insult to injury my salamence hit itself in its confusion when outrage ended and removed the last 4% of its health with a self-inflicted wound while the shuckle on the other side just sat there looking at me. as if to say, "what"? i'll tell you what shuckle. you're broken. which is why you're on this list.
I don't know whether to scold you for promoting bad uses of shuckle like using it as a wall when it's clearly meant for hyper offense or to be concerned that your opponent was running protect on it in randbats when that's not part of its movelist there.

i mostly stick to BDSP randbats and gens 3/4 these days... here are the ones that stand out

good in all of the above:

CB normals. they will click return and not even care. or like body slam in BDSP.

deoxys forms. eat sleep shit spike nuke recover.

lugia and ho-oh. they will stall you out and not even care.

jirachi. so frickin annoying bro i swear.

dialga (rare spawn in gen 3). really good typing with access to sr.

venemoth. best in gens 4 and BDSP... his lens are tinted and he doesn't even care.

gens 3 and 4:

kyogre and groudon. they are pretty good.

guts normal pocket monsters. good luck eating that facade lol.

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
a lot of people will say look out theres a legendary O_O and see that bad boy (mewtwo, articuno, or even worse...) however what many do not notice... legendaries are significantly stripped of their power.. at a twenty level deficit in some cases! so remember: next time you are faced against a powerful foe. a kyogure or even in some cases a groudon, remember this simple image:
1664862231443.png

and remember that always the better trainer, the pokemon master, will win in the end. this is xzern, signing out.

further analysis has revealed a glaring omission from my original list. there may be future additions but this one really stuck out to me.

exeggutor
one would think that, statistically, harvest would give you a 50% yield on your berries, right? clearly i am not very accomplished at gardening, because try as i might my exeggutor will not bear fruit. the same cannot be said for other exeggutor, however. the twitch i get in my right eye when i get frustrated appeared in full force today when i had to keep watching the opposing exeggutor repeatedly harvest sitrus berries and in doing so become near-impossible to break through in combination with substitute. harvest after harvest after harvest. i wish my stardew valley crops were that good. when i think about it, though, i'm pretty good at harvesting some things: exeggutor effortlessly harvests sitrus berries, i effortlessly harvest losses through misclicks such as clicking calm mind as a mega latios instead of an attack against a deoxys-a with no focus sash. i think i might have answered my own question from earlier, though. if you take 0 and 100, add them, and then divide by two, you get an average of 50. so really, everything is working as intended.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)