The Well #36 - bojangles

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your opinion of the string of revolutions in the middle east? Do you believe the major world powers should get involved?

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What do you think about Kyurem-b / Kyurem-w ?

Do you think PO is the worst computer application you have ever used ? If not, what would the worst one be?

Have you ever gotten disenchanted with the thought of contributing to Smogon ? If so, why ?

Mafeking

channels his inner Wolverine
is a Contributor Alumnus
What would you say is the one thing you miss the most about home, other than your family, that you don't have when you're at Columbia?

Got any pets?

Ibo~~! ^.^

As a leader of C&C, what would you say is the best thing a writer can do to turn a good analyses great?

Despite looking into the medical field, are there any unhealthy habits you've acquired (such as drinking, smoking, drugs, poor diet, etc.)? Any particular reasons why or why not?

Most importantly:

How do you feel about post-punk?

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You probably should worry more about Fatecrashers than Stone_Cold u_u lol >.> I like reading your well ^_^

Can you make my profile impervious to Fate's edits? x)

bojangles said:
I am a closet mons player. It's a secret that I don't intend to tell anybody about!
Why did you type mons instead of Pokemon like you normally do?

Do you prefer to be an Admin, Smod, Mod, or a normal user?

What was the hardest choice you had to make as a mod+?

How do I become a better poster? (No using less smileys!! ):< LOL)

When will you write your Unown analysis?

/me copies Birkal's question. Are you enjoying your well so far? :)

If you become a doctor and fall sick, will you treat yourself if it's in your area of expertise?

If you could bring someone who left Smogon for whatever reason, who would it be?

Did I ask too many questions? :P

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
If you could badge someone for no reason at all, who would you badge? (and what badge would you give them?)

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
do you get sick of people asking you q's about running smogon or what

What are your three favorite video games of all time?

What day did you first become a moderator?

Have you ever played a video game in the Starcraft series?

Why must ferrothorn burn at the stake?

What is your favorite section of the Smogon forums?

What is the best thing you've ever done?

What is the worst thing you've ever done?

(yay, another liberal. I don't feel alone anymore.)

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
is this standard/ou smugness a recent thing? i have to say i never really noticed it, and i played fucking cap of all things. how does cap fit into your "equal smogon" dream?
Let me clarify what I meant by that. There's a definite clique of "top battlers" who antagonize the lower tiers, namely RU, NU, and especially LC. OU, UU, and for some reason Ubers, seems to be pretty much exempt for this. I'm friends with a lot of people who play those tiers and I know that it's very draining to them; one of them recently quit because of it. It's been going on for a while, pretty much since this new wave of battlers became so celebrated in Tournaments.

As a CAP player, you may not see this as much because CAP is still a bit isolated from the other tiers, both in community and in the forum. I don't know the last time there was a CAP Tournament in Tournaments.

CAP has an interesting place on Smogon and a "perfectly equal" Smogon would include it because it is definitely a project that involves learning what makes a Pokemon competitively viable or what can push it over the edge (like Krillowatt for a while, IIRC).

props to doomvm
Rainbow was Ritchie Blackmore's thing after Deep Purple, and I'm sure you'll know their original singer, Ronnie James Dio (Rainbow was where he got his first big break)

Songs:
Sixteenth Century Greensleeves

Long Live Rock and Roll

Man on the Silver Mountain

Stargazer

A Light in the Black

Kill the King

Catch the Rainbow

The Temple of the King

I'm a complete Maiden nut, so it's nice to see that you also like them.
Yeah Maiden is pretty awesome. I saw them in concert once and they played all their big hits... except Hallowed be thy Name :/

Anyway, I'm speeding through these questions because apparently I'll be gone until tomorrow evening and I want to get people some answers, so I can't listen to these just yet!

What is your opinion of the string of revolutions in the middle east? Do you believe the major world powers should get involved?
Specifically in Syria, I think Bashar al-Assad is one of the most vile human beings in recent issues and the fact that Russia does not want to step in or allow others to step in to try and resolve the conflict because Syria is a large arms customer is equally vile. Something should clearly be done but I can see why the US hasn't stepped in because of this statement from the Russians as well as a desire to not be the nannies of the Middle East. I'm not a political scientist so I don't know exactly what should be done, but it's becoming increasingly clear that standing by and hoping it peters it out is no longer an option.

What do you think about Kyurem-b / Kyurem-w ?
Both had amazing potential until the movepools were found. Kyurem-W is a monster and I can't wait until I make a team with a Specs set so I can giggle while I press the Draco Meteor button and watch things melt before my eyes. Kyurem-B is alright in that it has the strongest Outrage in the game, but the fact that its movepool really only consists of Outrage and Fusion Bolt is pretty upsetting. I don't know if GameFreak literally forgot or they're just "trolling as usual" but making a predominantly physical monster have virtually no physical STAB moves on one of its typings is a pretty major flaw. It'll see use, but not nearly as much as its cousin.

Do you think PO is the worst computer application you have ever used ? If not, what would the worst one be?
To give PO its due, moving to PO a few years back was definitely the right move because PL was in an odd limbo with Cathy not wanting to update it immediately. If we hadn't moved to PO when we did, Smogon would've been pretty far behind the competition. That being said, I'm not a programmer but it was pretty clear that there were a lot of holes in the PO code, which was evident because of easy it was for somebody like skarmpiss to take advantage of them.

Have you ever gotten disenchanted with the thought of contributing to Smogon ? If so, why ?
Last year I hung up the towel because I simply wasn't interested in Pokemon anymore. That's bound to happen again at some point, but we'll see if I'll be too busy to hang around the community and eventually rebound back into the game (last time I was hanging around so much that I was getting bored and got re-interested).

What would you say is the one thing you miss the most about home, other than your family, that you don't have when you're at Columbia?
Food. The dining hall isn't that bad and of course there's some really great places to eat in the area around campus, it being Manhattan, but there's something really nice about a home-cooked meal that's hard to match. When I got off on summer break, my parents asked me if there's any restaurants I wanted to go to that I missed. I just said that I wanted some home-cooked food and they were mildly surprised, but it's definitely something you miss.

Got any pets?
Yeah, I've got a dog. He's a 10 year old miniature poodle who's turned from an incredibly frisky puppy into a very sweet dog. Now that I'm home for most of the day, he sleeps on my bed with me in the later morning, resting his head on my leg. I missed him a lot while I was at school because you can call your parents, but you can't put a dog on the phone.

Pet hates?
I hate hypocrisy and inconsistencies. As a person who would classify himself as being very logic-driven, but also as a policymaker, I can't stand it when people break the rules that they themselves put in place, or when something just doesn't make sense or isn't equally applied. That's really the mark of a weak policy, and in terms of Smogon at least, really one of the things that bother me the most.

i didn't realise you were an admin. o:
lol

cards in hand?

thoughts on m13?
It looks pretty good at a first glance. The lack of the titans will definitely make Standard a bit more monotonous. At first glance, white is looking pretty good with the new Ajani and that really ridiculous Sublime Angel, but it'll be interesting to see how that all plays out. There's also a lot of great Timmy cards like that blue card that acts as a one-sided Aluren for all your cards, so I have high hopes for this set.

thoughts on hexproof?
Pretty clear and obvious power creep. I'm fine with a keyword that is essentially strictly better than shroud outside of Mindslaver scenarios, but it does let you think a bit less as well as making guys cost more. Kind of a double-edged sword.

What do you think of the lyrics to this song?
[youtube]KIAWALZfgoI[/youtube]
They're pretty true.

Every hurtful thing you ever said
Is ringing in your ear
When you miss somebody
And everything of beauty that you see
Only brings a tear
When you miss somebody
When you miss somebody
You tell yourself everything will be alright
Try to stand up strong and brave
When all you want to do is lay down and die

This part particularly so.

Ibo~~! ^.^
So kawaii ^^;;

As a leader of C&C, what would you say is the best thing a writer can do to turn a good analyses great?
Know when you can inject a bit of personality into your writing without making it inappropriate. The best example that springs to mind of this is Rising_Dusk's Whimsicott analysis, which was actually used in a Smog article by Ray Jay that said similar things about it.

And, for the love of God, use spell check

Despite looking into the medical field, are there any unhealthy habits you've acquired (such as drinking, smoking, drugs, poor diet, etc.)? Any particular reasons why or why not?
I don't eat particularly well. A combination of factors, mainly genetics, have combined to make it so I don't really gain weight that easily. I eat pretty much whatever I want and I still only weight about 145 pounds, despite being 6'3", clearly very underweight. I should probably work on eating a bit better.

Will listen to soon!

Sorry to everybody else, I'll get to your questions tomorrow evening, I promise!

Have you tried talking to / understanding the point of view of the "top battlers", or are you just content with making them smogon's villains du jour?

Favorite bw2 change?

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
in light of your weight, how do you feel unthroning Hugendugen, Smogon's resident tall but really thin man.

Also how do you feel that you may be distinctly less fabulous than Hugen?

Where is Australia on your list of places to visit?

How many gps would you have done?

What is your opinion on Purugly?

On a scale of 1 to 100, how angry would you be if a Ferrothron acted hypocritically and inconsistently while speaking in terrible grammar?

How furry is Furai really?

As a liberal atheist who believes in equality, what was your opinion on Rick Santorum?

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Ritter I fucking hate you.

on-topic:

You said Rayquaza is your favorite Uber because it is the "oh shit" material. Now with Kyurem-White released: does it say that way? If so, what advantages does Rayquaza have over Kyurem-W?

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
props to doomvm
Rainbow was Ritchie Blackmore's thing after Deep Purple, and I'm sure you'll know their original singer, Ronnie James Dio (Rainbow was where he got his first big break)

Songs:
Sixteenth Century Greensleeves

Long Live Rock and Roll

Man on the Silver Mountain

Stargazer

A Light in the Black

Kill the King

Catch the Rainbow

The Temple of the King

I'm a complete Maiden nut, so it's nice to see that you also like them.
I got around to listening to them, and they're pretty good. I'll probably pick up an album of theirs. Thanks for the tip.

Also listened to these, and while its not unpleasant, it's probably not something I would flip on over other music.

What's your opinion of Gorebyss in Ubers?
It does the job quite well. I had a pretty successful smashpass team with Gorebyss and was actually going to write the analysis myself but I passed it off to Furai when schoolwork revved up. Gorebyss seems a bit worse at first when compared to Smeargle because of the lack of Spore, but the fact that it can actually do some damage with +2 SpA is pretty nifty. With Smeargle, it's pretty obvious that your next move is going to be to pass off, but with Gorebyss, you can stick around if you're up against, say, a Darkrai, which is obviously going to sleep whatever you bring in, or a phazer, and not just fold. Plus, +2 Speed and Swift Swim make it pretty fast and therefore easy to pass.

You probably should worry more about Fatecrashers than Stone_Cold u_u lol >.> I like reading your well ^_^
Thanks. I don't have to worry about Fate though. I have him on a leash.

Can you make my profile impervious to Fate's edits? x)
My black magicks can only do so much. Technically this is feasible but it would require inordinate amounts of work.

Why did you type mons instead of Pokemon like you normally do?
I dunno, "closet mons player" is sort of the catchphrase that people like to say. Maybe I was feeling particularly informal? Maybe I was subconsciously distancing myself from the word "Pokemon"? Only a psychologist could answer that.

Do you prefer to be an Admin, Smod, Mod, or a normal user?
Being an admin is nice because I can get things done. My time as an smod was interesting but there was a part of me that was slightly irritated since being involved in the senior discussions, much of which involves administrating and running the site, without the ability to actually do so on a technical level was kind of frustrating at times. Moderating is good, but it mainly depends on what area of the site you moderate. Obviously people gravitate towards what they like best, but for example moderating something like C&C or The Smog is all about running the process and doing some work yourself, whereas moderating what used to be DST is about being a model poster. If you like the moderation work you're doing then it's not a chore at all. Being a normal user is fine unless you get bored easily.

What was the hardest choice you had to make as a mod+?
Probably when to step down about a year ago. Let's be honest: nobody likes relinquishing power, but sometimes it's right thing to do. There are situations right now where this probably applies but it doesn't happen because people like being in charge. I ruminated about it for a while but it was still kind of sad to give up my position.

How do I become a better poster? (No using less smileys!! ):< LOL)
Who told you you're a bad poster? I like your posts. You're so much more cheery and innocent than other posters. It's like a breath of fresh air.

When will you write your Unown analysis?
When I think of a good gimmick for writing it.

/me copies Birkal's question. Are you enjoying your well so far? :)
Yup, it's kind of nice. Nobody's asked anything really obnoxious which is good. There's a nice balance between superficial and "deep" questions which is also nice. No complaints here.

If you become a doctor and fall sick, will you treat yourself if it's in your area of expertise?
Stereotypically, doctors make bad patients. I think that it's better to go to another doctor though because, aside from some tests being hard to run on yourself, it'd likely be to stressful to make work. I would be worried about making a mistake while also dealing with actually having the illness itself.

If you could bring someone who left Smogon for whatever reason, who would it be?
Hmm, that's a tough one. There have been a lot of great Smogoners who've taken a leave, but the first one that comes to mind is Fireburn. Fireburn was one of my best Smogoner friends and one of the best Ubers workers we had before he left. Usually when one of my friends quit they still hang around on social channels, but Fireburn completely disappeared for a while. I missed him :/

Did I ask too many questions? :P
Questions are good.

If you could badge someone for no reason at all, who would you badge? (and what badge would you give them?)
Hmm. This is kind of an odd question. The only real reason I would badge somebody is if they have done some work on Smogon, which is already handled pretty well, albeit imperfectly, by the system. I really don't like cronyism so I probably wouldn't just hand them out to my friends. I guess if there was a person who had a lot of potential or needed to be rushed into IS then that one could get it. I haven't seen something like that since maybe aeo, but he did the work with that awesome replay viewer.

do you get sick of people asking you q's about running smogon or what
Nah. I'm not a big-time battler so it's the natural place to go I suppose.

What are your three favorite video games of all time?
Hmm. I'd have to say Super Smash Bros, Halo, and Paper Mario, but not necessarily in that order. Halo is probably my favorite FPS just because I actually enjoy the story and I've had huge amounts of fun playing all the random gametypes on Matchmaking (Zombies, SWAT, and those weird ones in Halo 3 like Sumo Grande and Zeus). It was a great game to play with your friends too.

Paper Mario and Super Smash Bros are both games I look back upon really fondly. Super Smash Bros and Melee are like the big games of my childhood. My friends and I just couldn't get enough of them. Paper Mario was also one of my favorite RPGs because it was creative and tricky without being ball-busting difficult.

What day did you first become a moderator?
Thanks to the wonder of Smogon's archives, I can tell you that I was first added as a moderator to the Ubers subforum of what was then the Stark Mountain forum on December 8th, 2009. (For those with IS access.) I was nominated by Theorymon and Jibaku because I was working it behind the scenes with them. Good times.

Have you ever played a video game in the Starcraft series?
Yes. Actually, I had hours of fun playing those Use Map Settings games back in Brood War. Mass attack games were kind of addicting and a lot of the RPG games were pretty well thought out. I tried SC2 but the lack of this turned me off.

Why must ferrothorn burn at the stake?
It's slowed down my precious Ubers and it makes me sad. I loved Ubers because of how incredibly unbalanced and insane it could get. Ferrothorn has ushered in a period of SpikeStacking, stall, and generally less fun gameplay. Lots of Ubers players will agree, although many will likely disagree.

What is your favorite section of the Smogon forums?
Ubers and C&C are my "homes" but the former is disheartening at times because of the low quality and C&C isn't exactly a forum that you read with your spare time. What I'm going to read mainly depends on how I'm feeling. If I'm bored then a nice IS thread about policy is good because that's what I'm here for. If I'm in the mood to relax then some funny thread here is nice.

What is the best thing you've ever done?
I'm probably missing something but picking to go to Columbia was a pretty fantastic decision that I do not regret even slightly.

What is the worst thing you've ever done?
I don't know if a specific thing can be pointed to, but every so often, while daydreaming, I sometimes think about something stupid I did in the past. Those kind of things bother me because I just feel stupid again when I look back on it and there's really nothing I can do about it. Better to ignore those kinds of blunders.

(yay, another liberal. I don't feel alone anymore.)
I hope you're not that alone...

Have you tried talking to / understanding the point of view of the "top battlers", or are you just content with making them smogon's villains du jour?
No, I haven't had deep conversations with them but frankly I can't think of a reason for hating on other tiers to the point where people are being driven away from contributing that makes it even remotely excusable. Please enlighten me.

Favorite bw2 change?
I'm excited for Specs Kyurem-W. Hopefully it will spice up Ubers a bit more. Also, the people on #pokemon are telling me now that Soul Dew is out so that's pretty sweet. Latias has a use again!

in light of your weight, how do you feel unthroning Hugendugen, Smogon's resident tall but really thin man.
Australians are descended from British convicts.

Also how do you feel that you may be distinctly less fabulous than Hugen?
Are you implying that Hugen is gay?

Where is Australia on your list of places to visit?
Really high actually. I've been wanting to go to Australia / NZ for a while now but the timing and length of school breaks have made it sort of difficult. Hopefully I'll get to go soon though.

How many gps would you have done?
Too many to count really. Back in the day there were less restrictions on length too so GPing Theorymon's analyses was really a marathon. I guess it'll be lost to the ages because they're all buried in my posts now.

What is your opinion on Purugly?
The name kind of speaks for itself.

On a scale of 1 to 100, how angry would you be if a Ferrothron acted hypocritically and inconsistently while speaking in terrible grammar?
It'd be the closest I'd ever get to wanting something banned from Ubers.

How furry is Furai really?
I have to imagine that Furai is really a gorilla typing on a laptop.

As a liberal atheist who believes in equality, what was your opinion on Rick Santorum?
Rick Santorum's views kind of disgusted me in a sort of "this is the 21st century, right?" kind of way. So many of his views are completely antiquated to me. Some of them are just outright obscene though. Take, for example, the fact that he said that women who became pregnant by rape should not be allowed to have an abortion. Being raped is one of the most traumatizing experiences women can go through, but Rick Santorum's personal religious beliefs are apparently enough to dismiss that though. Not to mention that it's clearly unfair to the child who will not only never know (or want to know) his/her father, but also remind his/her mother of one of the worst moments of her life whenever she sees him/her.

on-topic:

You said Rayquaza is your favorite Uber because it is the "oh shit" material. Now with Kyurem-White released: does it say that way? If so, what advantages does Rayquaza have over Kyurem-W?
Rayquaza can go mixed and boost. It'll be interesting to see where my allegiance lies soon, but Kyurem's lack of boosting moves will likely make it harder to just outright sweep with it, especially with its middling Speed. There's also less surprise value (not that it necessarily needs it). For example. when you see a Rayquaza and switch your Groudon into a LO Draco Meteor, you know that you've fucked up really hard and are now in a pretty tight spot. With Kyurem-W, you know something's going to get pummeled with a Draco Meteor, but you'll probably have a strategy to deal with it.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Which tier is your least favorite?

What are your opinions on Smogon as a whole?

What was the last GP check you personally performed?

How "active" do you think you are, especially in comparison with other site leaders? I.e. how often do you get stuff done?

Thoughts on Pokemon Showdown! and all of its events?

If you had $100,000 dollars right now, what would you do with it?

Favorite candy bar?

What is the purpose of life, in your opinion?

ibo gimme another song to listen to :>

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
if you could kill somebody with the guarantee nobody would ever find out and it would be a total stranger you would never have met otherwise, would you do it? why or why not?

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
if you could fuck any girl ( or guy, gaybo) right now, who would it be? You have to answer the question with a picture.

When you told me that you have played Starcraft, I couldn't help but ask you this question: What is your favorite Starcraft race?

(If you can't tell by my sig, my avatar, and my name, mine's Zerg.)

Make Fireburn come on IRC more.

Do you enjoy my writing? Are there any weaknesses you've noted that I should work on?

Do you agree with me that Tornadus-I is probably better-suited for Ubers play than Tornadus-T?

Apparently Regen Ho-Oh is released. Are you as excited as I am? Also Multiscale Lugia's a thing now but that can go eat a dick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)