The UU Dark Horse Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I used Taunt/Toxic/Dragon Tail/Roost Hydreigon to good effect in Gen V, but the preponderance of Heal Bell fairies like Florges this gen kind of wrecks it.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
So, I don't know how much time I'll have to ladder more with the team (blame the baby), but here's the breakdown:

DARK HORSE #1: Diancie (@Mental Herb, Stealth Rock/Trick Room/Diamond Storm/Explosion)

Diancie has replaced Bronzong as my new favorite TR lead. She gets rocks, her stats are perfect for it, and she gets Explosion to give a Trick Room sweeper a free switch or to prevent Rapid Spin. Her typing is arguably better than Bronzong, as she can even switch into LO Darmanitan's Flare Blitz (potentially the strongest move in the tier now that Victini is gone) and threaten him with Diamond Storm (a guaranteed OHKO despite any real attack investment). Mental Herb guaranteed SR and usually could guarantee me a turn of Trick Room as well. EVs were fully defensive, max HP and Def, so that she could check physical attacks.

This was my usual lead, unless it looked like the opposing lead was a Jirachi or something similar. She got the ball rolling, and gave me pretty excellent momentum from the get-go. How aggressively I played with her depended on whether or not I needed her later - as a general rule, I would get Rocks down ASAP and then keep her safe if the opponent had a Darmanitan, Arcanine, Entei or (RIP) Victini.

DARK HORSE #2: Dusclops (@Eviolite, Will-o-Wisp/Night Shade/Trick Room/Memento)

In the past I've used Cofagrigus, but honestly, Eviolite Dusclops is kind of better. This thing is impossibly bulky. I rarely found myself able to sweep with Cofagrigus, because without Nasty Plot he just doesn't hit very hard, and with Nasty Plot you've already wasted two turns of your Trick Room and eaten a hit. I contemplated a Cofa Memento set instead, but then decided to try out Eviolite Dusclops and fell in love. This thing was essential for neutering physical attackers with priority, especially Lucario - even Crunch versions 3HKO at best. It was also a good answer to Jirachi, who could otherwise give me trouble. Frisk is also a super fun ability, letting me scout out items. Memento was perfect for giving Abomasnow the chance to set up a Swords Dance.

DARK HORSE #3: Cresselia (@Mental Herb, Trick Room/Psychic/Hidden Power Fire/Lunar Dance)

Cresselia was usually the TR setter I saved for last, who could breathe life back into Abomasnow or Honchkrow (both of whom tended to take heavy damage just from rocks and recoil). Standard TR set, not too much to say here. HP Fire for Forretress, primarily, although I had some fun with Magic Coat for a little while. In the end, though, HP Fire was better, so I switched back.

DARK HORSE #4: Mega-Abomasnow (@Abomasite, Swords Dance/Ice Shard/Wood Hammer/Earthquake)

My main set-up sweeper. Soundproof because it let me set up on things like Yanmega who thought they could hit me with Bug Buzz. Ice Shard off of 798 Attack hurts, especially if the opposing team has taken some prior damage. Wood Hammer was taken over Seed Bomb because frankly, Seed Bomb just isn't strong enough. Wood Hammer meant I could threaten out things like Vaporeon and Suicune even without first setting up, and did decent damage even when people would switch in resists. I contemplated a mixed set, but Swords Dance meant I could do some serious work with Ice Shard even after my TR turns ran out.

This isn't the first time I've used MegaSnow, and it almost certainly won't be the last. People pretty much always overrate this guy, forgetting that he hits like a truck.

DARK HORSE #5: Exploud (@Choice Specs, Boomburst/Fire Blast/Focus Blast/Surf)

I don't think I ever used Focus Blast or Surf. Why would I? Boomburst hit hard enough even to the things that resisted it. With Scrappy, the only real safe switch-in was Blissey. Almost everything else was 2HKO'd. I didn't realize quite how scary this thing could be until I saw it OHKO a fully healthy Hydreigon with no prior damage. Fire Blast saw some use, mostly for Jirachi and the occasional Mega-Aggron, but pretty much I just brought this in and clicked Boomburst until things were dead. I'll definitely be coming back to Exploud one day.

NON-DARK HORSE: Honchkrow (@Life Orb, Brave Bird/Sucker Punch/Superpower/Roost or Pursuit)

Honchkrow was probably responsible for more direct kills than anyone. Brave Bird is incredibly scary coming off of 383 Attack, and if he gets a Moxie boost or two... and then add in that he has the strongest priority attack in UU in STAB Sucker Punch (Fletchinder's Gale Wings Acrobatics is technically stronger, but coming off a much weaker Attack). Honchkrow generally took out half of the opposing team on her own.

I started off with Roost, which was nice for healing off all the residual damage Honchkrow took from Life Orb and BB recoil. Eventually I dropped it for Pursuit because I was having trouble with Victini, who wasn't stupid enough to stay in and eat a Sucker Punch. Even after Victini left, I still mostly preferred Pursuit, but there were times I missed Roost.

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Alright I'm going to elaborate a little bit on the team now. Since I'm not really motivated to ladder with it anymore.

Basically, the team was based around the Aromatisse Tentacruel core. Now, some things this core can have trouble with some things, and Shedinja handles things like Metagross beautifully.

Aromatisse: Been used in the past in the same capacity. Physically defensive Florges in a sense. Much better at checking Haxorus than Florges, no complaints here.

Xatu: I really don't like Xatu. I hate its design, I hate that it has a good ability, and I hate its stat distribution. It has an excellent movepool that would make you think it should be run in an offensive capacity. However, it's awful. The only reason offensive Xatu did anything for me was because people didn't realize I was running offensive xatu. Psyshock, Dazzling Gleam, and Grass Knot hits everything you need to hit aside from Forretress but it just really lacks any kind of meaningful power to back up its movepool.

Shedinja: I was inspired to use Shedinja this month by DMT and his excellent Shedinja use and Shedinja is the only reason I still enjoy using this team. It's so much fun creating mindgames with your opponent's hydreigon. You predict his Draco one time and then predict his dark pulse the next to royally screw them over. Protect on Shedinja is also amazing. It lets you scout for random moves that can actually hit you like knock off and toxic and also, since Tentacruel is on the team allows for just a little bit of extra toxic stalling. Sheddy is awesome because it hard counters a lot dangerous sets in the metagame at the moment. It counters, most nidos, kingdra, metagross, some jirachi, kyurem, sub cm raikou, etc. Also, having a ghost-type immune to u-turn pretty much forces mienshao to go for Knock Off early game which is easy to predict around.

Krook: Used Scarf Krook for the first time. Seems pretty cool albeit really weak initially.

Rotom-H: Specs Rotom-H is awesome for momentum and just straight killing things. Most people also assume I'm scarf at the start of the battle so I can sometimes nab free momentum against a mienshao or something if I'm feeling frisky.

Tentacruel: Used Tentacruel for the first time as well and it was awesome. Toxic Spikes are fantastic, don't know why I never used them before. Provided Spin support for Sheddy and Acid Spray lets it sometimes beat Sableye if you're smart about it.

I may continue to ladder with this team but for now I'm gonna take a break with it.

Entering this month, sadly without Kyurem, but I got somethin' better.

Dark horses in bold, as always.

| 10 | Ampharos | 12.10634% |
| 32 | Umbreon | 7.27258% |
| 40 | Tentacruel | 5.94649% |
| 65 | Whimsicott | 2.83518% |
| 72 | Tornadus | 1.92173% |
| 76 | Rhyperior | 1.63450% |

Total Usage: 31.72%

Only time will tell how this goes. I honestly don't know how well it will work, but I was striving to make a balance team with Tornadus and Whimsi and tbh I think I might've done a decent job (but idk.)

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Entering this month, sadly without Kyurem, but I got somethin' better.

Dark horses in bold, as always.

| 10 | Ampharos | 12.10634% |
| 32 | Umbreon | 7.27258% |
| 40 | Tentacruel | 5.94649% |
| 65 | Whimsicott | 2.83518% |
| 72 | Tornadus | 1.92173% |
| 76 | Rhyperior | 1.63450% |

Total Usage: 31.72%

Only time will tell how this goes. I honestly don't know how well it will work, but I was striving to make a balance team with Tornadus and Whimsi and tbh I think I might've done a decent job (but idk.)
Pray you never run into a Kyurem...or an Abomasnow

Alright, i quit f.ck this game. Whenever i hit between 1495-1499 shit like this happens and i start tilting
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-173180460
And at least one different player picked the same dark horses with me and reached higher rank so i would not enter hall of fame anyways. Good luck to rest of the participants.

Still gonna post my thoughts about the team and some cooler replays so maybe I encourage other people to use those pokemon at some point

Porygon-Z: I've been using the double dance set with max speed instead the usual 176 so i could at least speed tie with neutral base 90s before boost. At +2 it can OHKO Florges after rocks. Setting up both NP and Agility is the hardest part but when you do if your opponent lacks a mach punch user it's pretty much gg. But the cool thing about it is you don't have to set agility against slower teams and nasty plot against faster ones which gives you better chance to sweep. However because of its normal typing and general frailty switching in is pretty hard. Requires so much support and right predictions to be effective and still can't pass Blissey. 7/10

Virizion
: It's been a long time since i've used Virizion (this gen NU) and it's ability to beat blissey+bulky waters was so appealing and it did not dissapointed me. With a godly speed tier and access to SD, Virizion was my main win condition most matches. With its enormous Sp.Def setting up is not quite hard . Absorbing scalds and volt switches is also pretty cool. Crobat and Alakazam (sash or LO) must be removed before attempting a sweep. It might be weak before a boost but high base power close combat kinda mitigates it. Also special thanks to my Virizion for not missing any important Stone Edges. Pretty cool mon, should be used more, highly underrated atm. 9/10

Kyurem
: Damn this thing is a monster. Ice Beam+Earth Power hits pretty much everything and the wallbreaking power thanks To Draco+Outrage is insane.
Kyurem was so much needed to give better chance to sweep with Pz by removing special walls (not named Florges). Having a stealth rock weakness and Life Orb wears you down but as long as Kyurem does its job it's not important. Thanks to base 125 Hp it can survive some super effective hits and can kill shit back if you are that desperate. If only it had 5 more base speed... 9/10

Aromatisse
: I needed a Hydreigon switch and Florges would put me way over the 35% so decided to go with Aromatisse which is also better against Haxorus. Aromatheraphy and Wish support is always nice but not having baton pass unlike eeveelutions makes it too passive and generally inferior to other wish passers. And being a set up bait to SubCM users such as Chandelure is pretty dangerous. 7/10

Crobat
: Acrobat is pretty cool. With max Attack it 2hit-KOs random shit like Kingdra, Nidoqueen, offensive Krookodile... which is very impressing and still checks what it needs to check.

Swampert: Team player

Some good replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-170955883 much hax much rage quit
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-171209562 first decent game
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-171499154 showcasing Kyurem's wallbreaking power
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-171497517 this shows how one misplay can turn the tables if i could set an agility on the super obvious dugtrio sack i would win
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-172780927 pretty close match and a surprise ending
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-172807092 sand dog is mean
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-172808300 versus Volbeatdown and his RW team
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-173107108 acrobat doing work
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-173174067 a battle versus sniperaim which shows how important stealth rocks are

CoolStoryBrobat
Are you proud of me csb senpai?

Achieved A-Rank

View attachment 28074

The team I began with and changes I have made since:

Umbreon->Vaporeon->Blissey
Arcanine->Alomomola
Forretress->Gligar
Noivern(Specs)->Noivern(Scarfed)
Virizion
Weezing

Final team and usage:

5 Dark horse Mons

| 20 | Blissey | 9.58093% |
| 59 | Alomomola | 3.35700% |
| 92 | Weezing | 1.03736% |
| 85 | Virizion | 1.21976% |
| 55 | Noivern | 3.98100% |
| 68 | Gligar | 2.71406% |

Total comes to ~21.89%

I will make an in-depth analysis on this team and why I made the changes once I have a bit more time on my hands.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-171764193
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-173052469

1700+
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-173355093
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-173424086

Last edited:
In with the alt jigglenette

88 | Banette | 1.16128%
6 | Lucario | 13.34370%
49 | Starmie | 4.94828%
85 | Virizion | 1.21976%
66 | Cobalion | 2.77856%
109 | Meloetta | 0.62758%

Total: 24.07916%

Because suddenly megasnow is popular, to be hipster I need to use meganette. I've been messing around with subsplit for a while though and its actually really good, and this team seems solid enough.

CoolStoryBrobat

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In with the alt jigglenette

88 | Banette | 1.16128%
6 | Lucario | 13.34370%
49 | Starmie | 4.94828%
85 | Virizion | 1.21976%
66 | Cobalion | 2.77856%
109 | Meloetta | 0.62758%

Total: 24.07916%

Because suddenly megasnow is popular, to be hipster I need to use meganette. I've been messing around with subsplit for a while though and its actually really good, and this team seems solid enough.
Mega Banette's a good guy, got my first Dark Horse to 1600 after I added it in...SubSplit Banette-Mega is so many levels of obnoxious, I've run into a few even recently :\

Mega Banette's a good guy, got my first Dark Horse to 1600 after I added it in...SubSplit Banette-Mega is so many levels of obnoxious, I've run into a few even recently :\
I think its probably me, I've been trying to see what works with Subsplinette for a while (Like most banette sets you cant really pin down its role, so its awkward to build around). Obnoxious is the right word, its very difficult to take down without it wearing through a few mons, and having STAB priority off of 165 attack is nothing to shrug at.

Reached 1500 just before, no real issues so far. I did however sub Starmie for Gligar, so now I'm at 5/6 dark horses, and it works better overall. I can see myself having to sub something out for a fire check eventually, but I'll cross that bridge when it becomes more of an issue :>

alt name: thunderkid blitz

using:
24 | Alakazam | 8.96133% | 68027 | 9.573% | 51239 | 8.863% |
48 | Toxicroak | 5.20805% | 33970 | 4.780% | 27323 | 4.726%
14 | Forretress | 10.24517% | 62624 | 8.813% | 55934 | 9.675%
130 | Mismagius | 0.34137% | 5541 | 0.780% | 4401 | 0.761% |
145 | Golurk | 0.25530% | 3900 | 0.549% | 3195 | 0.553% |
217 | Luxray | 0.05390% | 2433 | 0.342% | 1939 | 0.335% |

I carry on getting to the higher 1500s then dropping down to like 1450 and then back again. The team is ok enough so I can probably make it to 1600 eventually, but we'll see :<

Anyway, this is probably the best showcase yet of Subsplinette against Anger Management, with the mindgames letting it even take down a mega absol, and the powerful shadow sneak is handy quite often: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-175956875

Oh, coballion has changed to like a bunch of mons, I think it was Krookodile then Crobat then finally to Blissey, which took the team in a way more stally direction.

EDIT: Reached 1600! Changed SubCM Meloetta for CM Slowking and it feels like the missing piece in the team has been filled :O

Last edited:
Alt:Quagflier

Using:
| 7 | Florges | 13.24506% |
| 30 | Empoleon | 7.51997% |
| 41 | Rotom-Heat | 5.77007% |
| 67 | Quagsire | 2.74615% |
| 85 | Virizion | 1.21976% |
| 148 | Moltres | 0.23963% |

Total: 30.74%

Last edited:

CoolStoryBrobat

Well congrats man, you did good and all, but...It's November, you kinda missed the deadline by several days lol, since that one was for September's usage stats. Right now I'm waiting for the October usage stats to come out so I can move onto the current month's challenge

whimsicott is, to me, the best dh this month, very good in zygarde meta and also to check a lot of common threats. p2 is nice and can check some threats (namely special attackers) that lack a coverage move to kill it. cobalion is stellar, great mon in this meta, kyurem takes no shit from nobody, virizion is very good for checking bulky waters and sweeping to an extent, tornadus is good for some support. a lot of stuff on this list makes the life of bulky waters living hell (rotom-c, aboma, whimsi, viriz, etc.) looks like a nice month, will participate later.

CoolStoryBrobat

Well as BenzMafia has said, October usage stats are now out and the challenge is kicking off for this month. Good luck everybody involved...I might attempt to participate this time around in hopes of getting somewhere. My UU game been struggling lately...

Edit: Screw it I'm in.

Cinccino - 0.68864%
Tornadus - 1.82614%
Doublade - 1.77934%
Hydreigon - 17.88173%
Tentacruel - 5.65920%
Hippowdon - 4.84925%
= 32.6843%!

Last edited:
I'm in I guess weee

9.75672 (M-Ampharos) + 8.29716 (Porygon-Z) + 6.82559 (Nidoqueen) + 7.31195 (Entei) + 0.52064 (Braviary) + 1.02757 (Bronzong) = 33.7963

Alt: Large Linda

Count me in this month!

Aromatisse:1.66%
Spiritomb: .534%
Dragalgae: .100%
Noivern: 4.779%
Empoleon: 6.7%
Chesnaught: 5.7%

I rounded the last few up, but im way under 35% lol

Clean alt: Mr.DarkAlgae

Lol

Edit: hit 1280 already, i think this is going to be an easy month :-)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)