ORAS OU The Sword in the Stone

Introduction:

So this is a new team I made, and I truly like it a lot. It was an interesting build and I would definitely like to thank the people of Competitive Tutoring on Showdown. They really helped put this team together. I would also like to thank Mudvayne for helping me out with the formatting. *Disclaimer* Sorry if this seems very.. rushed I guess. I did this at midnight and this is my first time really focusing on formatting, so basically I might be lazy with the typing.

Preview:

So this is my team building process...

So this is the main star of this team... I wanted to build around Terrakion so here he is.

Terrakion has trouble with bulky ground types and bulky water types. Basically, Azumarill can deal with most Pokemon that fall under this category.

Talonflame is able to ruin some stall that nerfs Terrakion. It also provides priority for the team, as well as a kind of special wall thing.

Tyranitar is basically a physical wall that can set up sr. A big support Pokemon.

Latias is kind of my go to defogger. And MVenu is kind of a problem at this point, so Latias helped.

Tbh, Mega Gardevoir was almost just a filler. I realized I don't have a mega, and Gardevoir seems to really fill in and provide the wall breaking and stall breaking I needed the most.

The Team:

Terrakion @ Life Orb Salac Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
So yeah, I built this team around Sub/SD Terrakion. This thing is a true monster when set up. CC and Stone Edge are its basic STABs. Max attack and speed to take advantage of speed tiers/power. Edit: Rob suggested either Fist Plate or Salac Berry and I am really liking Salac. This allows Terrakion to really do its roll and sweep.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave

Azumarill works really well with Terrakion imo. It is able to break the bulky ground types that wall Terrakion such as Landorus and Hippowdon. A choice banded Play Rough to a bulky water type is going to hurt as well. That is why I thought Azumarill would be the best member for the team. Choice Band is to hit hard, set is pretty standard and the evs are the same. Edit: Albacore suggested that I use Slowbro for a defensive wall over having Azumarill on the team, and after testing I totally agree. Slowbro provided amazing help for the team, especially in some tight spots. I would definitely like to thank Albacore for this suggestion.

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
Talonflame seemed like a wonderful addition to the team, so I added it. Talonflame provides a decent switch in to some special attackers. I am also getting a stallbreaker here with hard hitting priority, so it is a win-win. The set is standard as fuck, so I shouldn't really need to explain it. It also helps with MVenu so that is a reason to add it to the team.

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

So far I am lacking hazard support. That is where T-Tar comes in. This is the standard support T-Tar set, and it provides sand for Terrakion to perhaps set up easier against special attackers. Or even keep a sub up longer. Between Hippo and Tar, Tar was the better choice because of the option of Pursuit on psychic types that give Terrakion trouble. Ice Beam is really just for Landorus which gives this team a little trouble. Edit: Both Rob and Albacore suggest that I replace T-Tar, but with two different options. After testing both of them, I have decided to go with Ferrothorn. Again, Ferrothorn really seemed to help me in sticky situations. Thank you for both of the suggestions.

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
As I said before, Latias is my go to defogger. Why it fits for this team? It can take care of opposing Keldeos that really give this team trouble. It can also help deal with MVenu which could give this team a bit of trouble. The set is 100% standard so I don't really need to explain anything here.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
- Flamethrower

So.... this thing is a filler. As embarrassed as I am to say it, I really had not idea what to do with the last slot. I realized I didn't have a mega, and Gardevoir seemed to work the best. It gave me the power to wall break a bit better and even ruin stall. So that is why I went with Garde. The set is standard. Edit: I still don't know for sure if this was the right decision for the team. I do like having the capabilities of switching in to some offensive threats with this MAlt set that Rob introduced to me. It has proven to be extremely helpful. I just don't know if adding what I added to the team with this would contradict what you two were saying, cause I included advice from both comments. If this wasn't right, feel free to just let me know.
Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Landorus-T, Offense in general, I will add more later. Edit:
Victini: This team has zero switch ins to Victini and after this devil dents the team, the opponent can easily send in something to clean.

Alakazam/Mega Alakazam: I am also having issues dealing with the LO Zam and Mega Zam sets. Lack of switch ins and a way to clean them up leaves my opponent to sweep through my team.

Belly Drum Azumarill: Once set up, this thing can kind of easily sweep my team. Not much else to say...

SD Talon: I don't feel like this one should be happening but I am having a lot of trouble with SD Talon. Slowbro is taking massive chunks, leaving this thing to kamikaze my team or just simply clean.

I hope you enjoyed going through my team! Leave suggestions and I will go through them.

Last edited:
The team lacks reliable electric, steel, and water checks; you have resistances to steel and water but a Latias or Azumarill switch into an electric or a water move is very predictable and I don't think you want to risk Azumarill getting burned by Scald. Terrakion needs a lot of support since it's weak to common types and common priority (Aqua Jet, Bullet Punch, Mach Punch). Substitute helps with that but it can't help much when half your team is weak to common priority as well. The first change would be to swap Mega Gardevoir for specially defensive Mega Altaria. This obviously doesn't help with the steel weakness but it does help with the weakness to water, electric, and to some extent fighting types. Mega Altaria is bulky and with it's superb defenses as well as its decent supporting movepool it will provide excellent team support. Roost / Heal Bell / Hyper Voice / Flamethrower | Fire Blast seems like the best fit for the team since you have Terrakion and Azumarill for Heatran. Ferrothorn and Scizor are the most common switch ins to Altaria so you should be able to burn a few people that are expecting Dragon Dance + EQ Altaria.

The next thing would be to swap Tyranitar for Skarmory. Skarmory gives the team a capable SR setter that's able to phaze setup mon's, check threats like Mega Diancie, Weavile, and Scizor. Again this change does leave some opportunity for set up but a quick whirlwind can easily fix that problem. I really don't know how to feel about giving 1 of 2 of the team's only offensive threats a Life Orb. A Fist Plate or Salac Berry will definitely work better than Life Orb after the suggested changes. Fist Plate will give Close Combat a nice boost and a Salac Berry will give Terrakion the speed to beat a few checks and faster threats. Choose whichever you prefer. If you have to use Terrakion early game then stick to one attack per appearance to lull your opponent into thinking it's holding a Choice Scarf, then late game reveal Sub + SD.
Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 24 Def / 232 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
- Flamethrower

Terrakion @ Salac Berry / Fist Plate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The biggest problem I have with your team is Smooth Rock Tyranitar. I kinda get the appeal of sand since it helps Terrakion set up, but it's literally just there for Terrakion and sacrificing an item slot let alone a teamslot just for it doesn't seem worth it at all especially when the rest of your team doesn't exactly enjoy the chip damage from it. And besides the ability to handle Talonflame, Tyranitar doesn't help you much (you already have 2 Dark resists and 2 Fire resists) and only increases your weakness to Fairy-types which are a major problem for you, since Talonflame is your only check to them, and any Fairy Talon can't switch into like Azumarill or Diancie becomes a massive threat. So I'd suggest Ferrothorn over Tyranitar, it gives you a nice Fairy check and a SRer, helps you deal with Metagross which pretty much dismantles your whole team bar Talonflame (forces it to Hammer Arm so that Talon can actually swicth in, outspeed and Wisp it), Landorus-T which you mentioned as a threat, and Gardevoir which can also be annoying, gives you a secondary Electric resist and also completes both the FWG core and SFD core you have, so it provides you with a lot of support and fits really well on your team overall.

At this point you are very, very weak to Talonflame and still struggle a bit against Lopunny. I don't think Azumarill is too necessary for your team since you already have a Fairy, another bulky Water type could fit quite easily over it. Slowbro seems like the safest bet, beating Metagross minus Grass Knot and countering Lopunny, as well as acting as a sturdy physical wall and paralysis support for Gardevoir. Rotom-W could also be a pretty good option, it can keep up momentum via Volt Switch and really helps get Terrakion and Gardevoir in safely, and also acts as a reliable check to BD Knock Off Azumarill unlike Ferrothorn or Slowbro, however it's less consistent against MMetagross and outright loses to Lopunny. If you really want Sand support then Hippowdon could work in that slot as well, it also makes you a lot more resistant to Thundurus and Volt Switchers in general which can be a pain, however it's obviously not a Water type and therefore doesn't have the same kind of properties you want in a Water type, and ruins your FWG core.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock / Protect
- Power Whip / Protect

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock / Toxic / Whirlwind

Last edited:
First thing I would like to say is thanks for the help! Between Skarmory and Ferrothorn being switched for T-Tar, I am thinking I am going to go Ferro. I will test both, but right now I am liking Ferro. I do like the idea in the Terrakion set, changing LO for Salac or Fist Plate. It could really catch an opponent off guard. I will mess around with both to see which one I like. As for the changes with going for Azumarill for Slowbro and Garde for Alt, I am going to need a bit of help lol. Idk if you guys were making those suggestions based on the other Pokemon still being on the team or not. So basically I am asking if there should be a combination here whether it be Slowbro and Alt, or Slowbro and Garde, or Azumarill and Alt. So maybe you guys could help out with that? Lol... Well anyway, I will mess around with the suggestions to see what fits best, and I will make changes to the team as soon as I find which one I like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)