The Smogon 5K Challenge

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hello all! I am Bad Ass, and you may know me from DP UU, my incredible experiences with drugs and hot dogs, or as a Genuine Nice Guy. I would like to introduce to you to the Smogon 5K challenge! Here is how it goes:

1. This thread is posted. There will be a 1 week period (Monday - Sunday) to sign up and take your initial 5k time. It doesn't matter if you can run a single mile -- as long as you put forth your best effort, you are doing excellently.

2. A month long training and improvement period. While a month is not a long period for seasoned runners to improve dramatically, Smogon is not a cross country forum and the average person WILL see significant improvement if they train over the course of a month.

3. Lastly, a 3 day period to record and turn in your final and (hopefully best!) 5k time. I'll place this on a weekend so that most people will have some time to slot it in. If you're too busy, feel free to take it directly before or after!

4. I will tally up the times and post various awards (best in gender, best overall, most improved, whatever!)

Here is the format you should use to sign up:
Username: Bad Ass
Current 5k PR: 19:58
5k time taken during the first 1 week period (important): 25:26
Goal Time: 21:00

Q&A

Q: How can I keep track of my times and distance? How can we be sure that people aren't cheating and posting that they are faster than they really are?

A: Method 1: If you have a smartphone, you can download Nike+ or Runkeeper (also available on iPhone). These apps utilize your phone's GPS capabilities to track your distance, speed, and pace. I have only used Nike+, and it is quite good. You can see your distance run by day, week, and month, set a specific distance to alert you at (standard alert is every 1 mile, it calls out distance, current time, and current pace). Seriously, this app is awesome for keeping track of everything you do and makes it possible to cover distance if you don't have a track nearby. Also, you can get a GPS sensor and download the app on your iPod too, I think. I live in rural Georgia and I don't have problems with it tracking me.

Method 2: Track and a stopwatch. I actually prefer running on a track rather than a trail or pavement because it is softer than pavement and you can keep track of distance (for doing things like 400m, 800m, 1600m repeats). Easy to use. Only thing is that you cannot share your stuff online so you would have to use the honor system, but really I trust anyone signing up for this to not cheat since there is very little on the line except your personal health and satisfaction.
Also, I live near a rural "highway" which has mile markers so I often use that for my long runs. Don't really recommend this for busy highways, though!

Q: Yeah, this sounds great but how am I supposed to start running? I know literally NOTHING!

A: A few useful links, if I may:

Hal Higdon's Training Program, which contains a different program for those of you who may be considered "intermediate". Very good, though I would ramp up the mileage by a half a mile to three quarters of a mile per week as opposed to his suggested 1/4 mile. Stresses the importance of not overtraining early on as well as consistently building onto the base that you form, both of which are crucial skills to have.

The ever-famous Couch to 5k! If you absolutely positively cannot run 1-1.5 miles at ~11:00/mile then this program may be better for you. It is basically alternating walking and running until you are able to run the entire 5k. However, this is a 9 week program, so you may need to either speed it up or not be able to reap the entire benefits of it (though there will be improvement either way).

/r/running. Reddit's running community, very noob friendly with helpful guides on the sidebar. Every Monday they have a thread where you can ask your "moronic noob questions". A quick search will yield you years worth of threads of questions from new runners. Just type in some keywords from your question and you are bound to find SOMETHING.

Lastly, a few words of advice from me. Firstly, don't overtrain. I know that progress is exciting and you want more of it, but if you start out running a 30:00 5k, you have to accept that you won't be able to break sub-20 in a month, no matter how hard you train. All that overtraining does is make you sore in a bad way and make you more prone to injuries. Seriously, nearly every dangerous injury associated with running is caused by new runners getting into the sport and running too much at once. If you are a totally new runner, I recommend running only 5 days per week (M/Tue/W, F/Sat)

The second greatest cause of injury is your form. Generally, you want a good mid-strike (that is, when your foot hits the ground you hit with the middle of the foot). Heel strikes are the main cause of shin splints (and really, fuck shin splints).

My final piece of advice is to just have fun with this. If you go in with a negative attitude then you're gonna have a bad time. Use your time running as personal time, away from the computer, time to clear your mind. If you'd like to lose some weight, use this challenge as a catalyst to get your weight in order. Running is what you make it, and I sincerely hope that you enjoy this challenge.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me via PM or on IRC (i'm on as badass). I'll post any pertinent ones in the OP as well.

note: your goal time does not have to be a PR. PRs are often run on easy courses (which you may not have access to) or when you were training harder or in better shape. your goal time represents what you would like to run compared to your pre-month time. also, please share your nike+ usernames if you'd like, it would be great to be able to look at your progress!

Username: Lee
Current PR:
Goal Time:

Username: MikeDecIsHere
Current PR: 21:24
Goal Time: 20:30

Username: BattleStar
Current PR: 6:31 mile, extrapolated to 22:00
Goal Time:

Username: More Cowbell
Current PR: 25:30
Goal Time: 27:00

Username: Django
Current PR: 26:00
Goal Time: 22:00

Username: Deinosaur
Current 5k PR: 28:54
Goal Time: 22:00

Username: uragg
Current 5k PR: 36:07
Goal Time: 25:00

Username: Eo Butt Mortus
Current 5k PR: 26:37

Username:Myzozoa
Current 5k PR: I haven't recorded for a while, I usually just run 4 miles when I do distance, but I bet it's around 22-23 minutes.
5k time taken during the first 1 week period (important): Yet to be taken and maybe not takable until I get back to school.
Goal Time: 21:50

Username: windong
Current 5k PR: 18:50ish but that was a few months ago and UGH HOLIDAYS i'm so out of shape :(
Goal Time: 18:40

Username: #az
Current 5k PR: ihni
5k time taken during the first 1 week period (important): ihni
Goal Time: 0 secs

Username: vonFiedler
Current 5k PR: 61:36
5k time taken during the first 1 week period: 61:36
Goal Time: Pffff... is 50 minutes reasonable? [yes it is]

Well, my current 5k pr is 18:18.3, but I don't think I'll be able to work on improving it much in the near future. Cross Country is a fall sport, and track starts up this week. Normally, distance runners continue with the same workouts because they run the long-distance track events. However, as a hurdler I will unlikely be training for anything longer than a mile. If this thread is a lasting success, I will be happy to attempt to participate this summer. Until then, I'll probably stick around to offer advice and encouragement.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
<3 <3 <3 this thread

tentatively in but i'm juggling it with the sensitive issue of rehabilitating a chronic degenerative knee condition that has kept me sidelined for nearly four years now so can't promise anything. can't offer an initial time because i'm not even sure i can run 5K but i've been working on it, as the healthy lifestyle thread stalwarts will know.

fairly elite runner, my last official race being a cross country 5 mile in 26 mins 48 secs so assuming that pace I averaged a 16 minutes 03 seconds 5k during the race and then ran another 2 miles in 10 mins 45 seconds on top of that, all on cross country terrain. but check the date! seems a long, long, long time ago now.

Man, I am nowhere near those times. Lee, that's fucking nuts haha.

My time: 21:24, this was about...2 months ago though.
Goal: 20:30

Yeah, I do about 7 minute miles when I'm going distance, so not bad. Would love it if I get down to that time though. Might have a better chance once my season starts, but I don't run cross country or track or anything, so we'll see. I'll give this a whirl though.

I would actually be down for this. I did cross country about two years ago in 8th grade and my best time ever was a 6:31 mile. I am getting my iPhone activated tomorrow so recording this should be easier. Hopefully I can participate in this.

I think I may just participate in this.

Half a year ago, I could run 5k in 25:30 (not all that fast, but then again, I'm not all that fast), but that was half a year ago. I bet I could run a 30:00 now, but let's set 27:00 as this month's target.

I'm planning to participate in the annual 5k-race in my town, like last year, so my aim is to get under 25:00 by May.

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Whenever I run, I usually get cramps (typically starts after I finish a mile, sometimes I plow through it but sometimes I just can't take it). Does anyone know any ways to not get them?

In my personal experience, I got cramps for about the first month of running, and after my body adapted to the stress of regular cardio exercise, I didn't get them anymore. I've had inconsistent success with nutrition and other things, but getting better at running helped a bunch. Hope it helps you too, good luck everyone.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Whenever I run, I usually get cramps (typically starts after I finish a mile, sometimes I plow through it but sometimes I just can't take it). Does anyone know any ways to not get them?
the number one thing is stay hydrated. I don't mean chug a liter of water right before you go for a run because that'll make you cramp worse; i mean drink consistently throughout the day. Furthermore, avoid protein and especially lactose for about four hours before you run - or run early in the day so you don't have to worry about that. the last tip is like squeakyguy said - just get better at breathing and they should come less frequently

edit: i'm in the same boat as moonbound, probably wont do

EDIT2: oh what the hell

Current PR: 19:31 (last spring, only one i've ever done on pavement)
Goal Time: <19

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In the middle of training right now, just did a bit over 5k in almost dead on 26 minutes. In about exactly a month it's race time so this is perfect :) Hopefully I can get down to around 21-22 minutes, and beating that would be excellent.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
could be lack of hydration, like the other guy said. could be lack of vitamins or being on an empty stomach, be sure to eat a banana before you go (or half if you can't stand eating before running).

if it persists, I recommend doing a half of a mile at easy pace and then getting some deep stretches, which i could show you if you are not familiar with.

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ran in an official 5K for thanksgiving, but was really out of shape. We'll see how this goes.

Username: Deinosaur
Current 5k PR: 23:59
Goal Time: 20:00

GL all.

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
Username: urag
Current 5k PR: 36:07
Goal Time: 25:00

back when i used to swim rly competitively i was in great cardiovascular shape and thus ran decently for distance even though i didn't do any running outside of soccer practices. 7th grade i was around ~6 mins for a mile but i definitely can't even come close to that now lolol.

this sounds like a good idea to motivate me to get back in good shape b/c all i've been doing for like the past year and a half is lift but that leaves u in bad aerobic shape if u don't supplement it.

i guess my long-term goal is to get under a 5:20 mile some time in may because penis

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Username: Eo
Current 5k PR: 26:37

I was getting back in shape but then Christmas. :( Guess this will help me restart.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Username:Myzozoa
Current 5k PR: I haven't recorded for a while, I usually just run 4 miles when I do distance, but I bet it's around 22-23 minutes.
5k time taken during the first 1 week period (important): Yet to be taken and maybe not takable until I get back to school.
Goal Time: 21:50

Windsong

stumbling down elysian fields
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Username: windsong
Current 5k PR: 18:50ish but that was a few months ago and UGH HOLIDAYS i'm so out of shape :(
Goal Time: 18:40

Perfect, I just finished (okay one week to go but close enough) c25k. Never run a 5k yet so ill post my "pr" when I get one lol.

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
my nike+ username is uraga if u want to follow me |=]

So we're expected to train on our own? No prescribed regimen or anything? Pointers are fine and all but I prefer a little more structure to prevent procrastination, though I suppose it is a personal challenge.

Not that it matters for me, I'm not sure I can participate as there's not really a place where I can do 5k. It's icy as all hell outside, not to mention cold, and the only indoor track I'm aware of requires a membership which I'd rather not shell out for.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I recommend doing a half of a mile at easy pace and then getting some deep stretches, which i could show you if you are not familiar with.
Hot.

Also excellent thread! I used to run cross country and had a solid-ish 20:43 min. 5k PR. Then college stole all my time :( Never broke 20 :'(

Bad Ass

Custom Title
So we're expected to train on our own? No prescribed regimen or anything? Pointers are fine and all but I prefer a little more structure to prevent procrastination, though I suppose it is a personal challenge.

Not that it matters for me, I'm not sure I can participate as there's not really a place where I can do 5k. It's icy as all hell outside, not to mention cold, and the only indoor track I'm aware of requires a membership which I'd rather not shell out for.
i specifically gave you two training regimens and a link to one of the most in depth and new runner friendly forums, period, as well as encouraging you to ask me questions.

was expecting a wave of bad threads and users from wifi posting in a forum to succeed in the 'smogon 5k challenge' - actually glad to see a thread about running.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
sure, i'm in :)

Current 5k PR: ihni
5k time taken during the first 1 week period (important): ihni
Goal Time: 0 secs

Bad Ass

Custom Title
dailymile.com is a cool way to track all your running shit. it syncs automagically with nike+ and garmin GPS watches if you prefer those. also lets you add in little notes about how you feel (nike+ does this too but i do prefer a website to type and read on). i'm doing the /r/running 1000 mile challenge for the year of 2013 in hopes of attaining my goal of a sub 18 5k!! my page is http://www.dailymile.com/people/ThomasS39#ref=tophd. also, my nike+ username is spikecb so please add me there if nike+ has a friends list (i am not sure)

in other news, if you looked at my dailymile page you can see that today was kind of shit for me. a sluggish 5k that felt like a whole lot more at a whole lot faster. got a bad side stitch at mile 2 but i fought it off long enough. i run on a road by my rural house, and directly at the beginning/end is a giant 1/4 mile hill, which is also very steep. it's great going down it to start, you start to think that the whole thing will be this easy, but once you've run 3, 4, 5, 6 miles and you begin your final quarter mile ascent to victory you would sure trade that easy beginning for a flat end! grueling but also kinda fun = )

how did everyone else's day 1 go?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)