The Pokemon Dictionary (Update)*

I was looking through the current Pokemon Dictionary, written by chaos and Tangerine, and I thought that it could use an update. So, I asked darkie if I could update it, and he agreed.

All I've done is I've rewrote some of the definitions, added a few more things, and added examples so the reader could gain a better understanding of the definition. Examples really help!

Also, if anyone has any other definitions I've missed, please let me know! If they're common enough, I'll include them in the dictionary.

Thanks!

Generations

In competitive play, the cartridge games are segregated into generations, or groups of games with similar game mechanics. Generations generally correspond to Nintendo's handhelds and are named after the initial two games released on the platform.

Here are the currently recognized generations:

R/B (also known as RBY)

The games Red, Green, Blue and Yellow make up the first generation. The first generation is defined by its heavy centralization around a few Pokémon, due to the small number of available Pokémon and unbalanced mechanics. The generation was largely Speed oriented, which lead to the popularity of paralysis-inflicting moves, such as Thunder Wave and Body Slam. RBY also had many glitches that may be implemented in a battling simulator.

G/S (also known as GSC)

Gold / Silver / Crystal is the second generation, most notable for its splitting of the Special stat into Special Attack and Special Defense, in addition to adding two new types of Pokémon: Steel and Dark. The generation also introduced items, such as Leftovers, which helped promote the slow pace and defensively oriented nature it is famous for. Despite the stall-ish nature of the game, Stall Breaking tactics may still be effective.

R/S (also known as Advance, ADV, and RSE)

The games Ruby / Sapphire / Emerald / FireRed / LeafGreen make up the third generation generation; it introduced abilities, natures, revamped the IV system, and made stat experience into Effort Values. The introduction of items, such as Choice Band, led to more varied strategies. Introduction of many new Pokémon also made it more difficult to cover every threat. The metagame never truly stabilized despite the heavy usage of certain key Pokémon, such as Blissey, Skarmory, Tyranitar, Celebi, and Swampert.

D/P (also known as DPP and DPPt)

Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum make up the current generation and it is famous for changing attacking mechanics so that physical and special moves were differentiated individually rather than by their type. It introduced a particularly large number of quality Pokémon by giving many lackluster Pokémon new evolutions, while introducing many new attacks that gave many Pokémon from previous generations a chance to shine. This large number of Pokémon to choose from also meant that there were too many threats to prepare for, making it impossible to counter everything your opponent attempts to do. Team advantage also became more significant, with many players gaining advantages before the battle even begins.

Styles Of Play

Offense

Offensive teams rely on outspeeding and outdamaging the opponent directly. Players using this style of play will often utilize hard-hitting Pokémon and use resistances and immunities to switch into attacks as opposed to defined walls to take hits. Tactics include: lures to eliminate counters, using stat boosters, and utilizing a quick Stealth Rock in order to facilitate kills. The suicide lead is an expansion of the quick Stealth Rock concept and is often used by offensive teams. A suicide lead is essentially a Pokémon in the lead position whose role is to stop the opponent from setting up Stealth Rock and at the same time set up its own Stealth Rock, such as Aerodactyl and Azelf.

Stall

Stall teams are based off of residual damage. This damage can come in many forms, including: sandstorm, hail, Toxic Spikes, Spikes, and Stealth Rock. The majority of Pokémon on a team like this will have good defenses and contribute to the overall goal of indirectly fainting the opponent's team. Tactics include using Ghosts to block Rapid Spin (a move which can eliminate entry hazards), setting up entry hazards as fast as possible, and using Pseudo-Hazing (PHazing) moves, such as Perish Song, Whirlwind, and Roar.

Balance

This type of team does not rely on any single type of Pokémon. Generally speaking, balanced teams have a couple of sweepers, backed up by a number of walls and/or tanks. Most teams of this type will utilize a form or two of entry hazards. The most successful balanced teams often center around a certain threat, while the other teammates seek to help guarantee a sweep by the said threat.

Commonly Used Roles

All of the definitions of the commonly used roles are listed below, along with an example to gain a better understanding of the definition.

Aromatherapist / Cleric

A Pokémon who uses Aromatherapy or Heal Bell to cure itself and its team of status.

With Blissey’s fantastic Special Defense and HP stats, she has many opportunities to help her team out with Aromatherapy.

Mixed Sweeper

A sweeper who uses both physical and special offensive moves to do damage. Mixed sweepers are referred to with the Mix prefix.

Infernape’s ability to use both physical and special attacks (referred to as MixApe) in one set makes it one of the most common and effective mixed sweepers available.

Phazer / Pseudo-hazer / Shuffler

A Pokémon who uses moves that may force the opponent to switch, such as Roar, Whirlwind, Perish Song, and Yawn.

Perish Song Celebi is commonly seen on stall-oriented teams in order to eliminate set-up sweepers that can cause a severe amount of trouble to its team.

Physical Sweeper

A Pokémon who uses physically offensive moves to do damage and bring down an opponent's team. Many carry Attack boosting moves, like Swords Dance or Dragon Dance.

Swords Dance Lucario is a very prominent physical sweeper. Having access to Close Combat, Crunch, Ice Punch, and ExtremeSpeed, it is capable of sweeping an entire unprepared team with ease after one Swords Dance boost.

Pseudo Passer / Dual Screener

A Pokémon who uses moves like Reflect, Light Screen, and Wish with the intent of passing them to another Pokémon.

Bronzong’s great bulkiness, typing, and access to Explosion make it one of the most durable and reliable of dual screeners to choose from.

Rapid Spin Blocker / Spin Blocker

A Ghost-type Pokemon who is used to stop the opponent from using Rapid Spin successfully.

Rotom-A is the most common Rapid Spin Blocker, thanks to its excellent typing, movepool, and stats.

Rapid Spinner / Spinner

A Pokemon who uses Rapid Spin to remove entry hazards.

Boasting a high Speed stat and powerful attacks, Starmie is considered as the best offensive Rapid Spinner in the game. No Ghost-type (the only type of Pokemon that ignores Rapid Spin) will enjoy taking a hard-hitting Hydro Pump.

RestTalker

A Pokémon who uses both Rest and Sleep Talk.

Suicune is a terrifying user of Rest and Sleep Talk, as it can set up numerous amounts of Calm Mind to upgrade its Special Attack and Special Defense to perform a sweep.

Revenge Killer / Trapper

A Pokémon whose main purpose on a team is to revenge kill or trap certain threats, usually those who your team lacks a solid defense against. Generally characterized by high Speed and frailty.

Mamoswine’s access to Ice Shard allows it to be known as a very effective revenge killer to Dragon Dance Salamence.

Special Sweeper

A Pokémon who uses specially offensive moves to do damage and bring down an opponent's team. Many carry Special Attack boosting moves, like Nasty Plot or Calm Mind.

Porygon-Z's access to Nasty Plot and power-increasing abilities give it excellent special sweeping capabilities. Its STAB Tri Attack and other powerful attacks, such as Thunderbolt and Ice Beam, are ridiculously powerful when boosted, ripping entire unprepared teams to shreds.

Status-absorber

A Pokémon who can avoid, remove, or use to its advantage one or more status effects, usually by using the RestTalk combination or specific abilities.

Heracross is a very common Pokemon that takes advantage of status, most notably poison or burn. With its ability, Guts, it can become an extremely threatening physical force, boosting its Attack to a higher level.

Suicide Lead

A lead Pokémon, who usually pack low defenses, that tries to set up entry hazards quickly and prevent opponents from doing the same, usually by Taunt, before dying.

With access to Taunt, Stealth Rock, Explosion, and high offensive and Speed stats, Azelf is by far the most commonly used and successful suicide lead.

Supporter

A Pokémon who uses non-offensive moves which benefit the team.

Cresselia has various supportive options in her movepool that can be helpful for her team. Some of these include: Thunder Wave, Toxic, Reflect, Light Screen, and Lunar Dance.

Tank

A Pokémon intended to take attacks, usually from one side of the spectrum, and hit back.

Hippowdon is a very potent physical tank. With its grand HP, Defense, and Attack stats, it can take multiple physical hits with ease and hit back hard with its powerful Earthquake.

Wall

A Pokémon intended to take attacks, usually from one side of the spectrum, extremely effectively.

Skarmory's enormous physical Defense makes it one of the most sturdy physical wall in the game. It also has access to Spikes, Roost, and Whirlwind, three moves that Skarmory has many opportunities to use.

Wall-Breaker

An offensively oriented Pokémon meant specifically for crushing walls rather than sweeping. This is usually done with extra powerful offensive stats and commonly use both physical and special moves in their moveset.

With very high base 135 Attack and base 110 Special Attack stats, fast base 100 Speed, and an enormous movepool that consists of various physical and special moves, Salamence holds the title as the most threatening wall-breaker in the game.

Commonly Used Terms and Abbreviations

All of the definitions of the commonly used terms and abbreviations are listed below, along with an example of how they are used to gain a better understanding of the definition.

Auto-Weather

A Pokémon whose ability creates a weather effect, such as sand, rain, hail, or sun, when they are brought into play.

Tyranitar's ability, Sand Stream, allows it to set up an auto-weather effect in the form of a sandstorm.

BP

Base Power of a move.

Dragonite's Outrage has a BP of 120.

BST

Refers to the total number of a Pokémon's Base Stats.

Celebi has a BST of 600.

Entry Hazards

Any of the attacks which deal damage as a Pokémon switches in - Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes.

Forretress can set up all three forms of entry hazards.

EVs

Effort Values.

The maximum amount of EVs a Pokemon can have in total is 510.

Hax

An event which has a low probability of happening which critically affects the outcome of a match. Also referred to as luck in general.

Togekiss' ability, Serene Grace, increases its chance at causing hax to the opponent.

IVs

Individual Values.

The highest amount of IVs a Pokemon can have in one stat is 31.

NFE

Not Fully Evolved, a Pokémon that is not in its final evolution stage.

Chansey is one of the few viable NFE Pokemon that is used in UU.

NVE

Not Very Effective, a move that does lower damage due to a Pokemon's resistances.

Ice Beam is NVE against Vaporeon.

OHKO

Short for "One-Hit Knockout", though it can also refer to moves that KO the opponent in one hit, such as Sheer Cold and Horn Drill.

Magnezone can OHKO Gyarados with Thunderbolt.

Pinch Berry

A stat-boosting Berry that activates when the holder falls below 25% health. Often used in conjunction with Substitute, as Substituting three times activates the Berry if you have an odd HP stat.

The most common Pinch Berries are: Salac (boosts Speed), Petaya (boosts Special Attack), and Liechi (boosts Attack).

Priority

Any attack which will make the user always move first, unless the opposing Pokemon has a higher Speed stat and uses a priority move as well.

Sucker Punch and ExtremeSpeed are two of the strongest priority moves in the game.

Residual Damage

Damage taken by a Pokémon without having been attacked, whether by recoil (Life Orb or otherwise), weather (hail or sandstorm), status effects (poison or burn), and/or entry hazards.

One of Salamence's biggest problems is dealing with the amount of residual damage it is vulnerable to.

Revenge Kill

KOing an opposing Pokémon immediately after one of your own Pokémon has fainted, therefore avoiding the risk of switching into an attack.

Jolteon revenge killed Gyarados after it KOed Heatran.

STAB

Same Type Attack Bonus, which increases the power of a direct attack by 50% if the one of the user's types is the same as the attack's type.

Rotom-A's STAB Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball nearly provide perfect type coverage.

Specific Sets and Pokemon Combinations

AgiliGross

Metagross with Agility.

BellyZard

Charizard with Belly Drum.

BulkyGyara

Gyarados with defensive EVs. It's aimed to take hits to set up Dragon Dance easier.

CeleTran

Celebi and Heatran being used together as a defensive core. Celebi is resistant to Heatran's Water-, Ground-, and Fighting-type weaknesses. Heatran is resistant to Celebi's Dark-, Ice-, Bug-, Ghost-, and Flying-type weaknesses and is immune to its Fire-type weakness.

CroCune

Suicune with Surf, Rest, Sleep Talk, and Calm Mind.

CurseLax

Snorlax with Curse.

GyaraJolt

Gyarados and Jolteon being used together as an offensive core. Jolteon switches into Gyarados' Electric-type weakness to recover 25% of its health, thanks to Volt Absorb. Gyarados switches into Jolteon's Ground-type weakness.

GyaraVire

Gyarados and Electivire being used together as an offensive core. Electivire switches into Gyarados' Electric-type weakness to gain a one stage Speed boost, thanks to Motor Drive. Gyarados switches into Electivire's Ground-type weakness.

Lati@s

Latias and Latios collectively.

MixPert

Swampert with Earthquake, Ice Beam, Surf or Hydro Pump, and Stealth Rock or Roar.

RegiBro

Registeel and Slowbro being used together as a defensive core. Registeel is resistant to Slowbro's Ghost-, Dark-, Bug-, and Grass-type weaknesses and takes Electric-type attacks relatively well. Slowbro takes Registeel's Fire- and Fighting-type weaknesses and takes Ground-type attacks relatively well.

SkarmBliss

Skarmory and Blissey being used together as a defensive core. Skarmory takes the physical attacks that Blissey can't take. Blissey takes the special attacks Skarmory can't take.

StallRein

Walrein using Substitute and Protect under hail to stall for up to 32 turns. Also uses Leftovers and its ability, Ice Body, to fully replenish the HP lost from Substitute over two turns.

TechniTop

Hitmontop with the ability, Technician, and a set with low Base Powered priority moves, such as Bullet Punch, Fake Out, and Mach Punch.

Tyraniboah

Tyranitar with Substitute, Focus Punch, Crunch or Dark Pulse, and Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, or Ice Beam.

General Movesets

BoltBeam

Thunderbolt and Ice Beam. ThunderPunch and Ice Punch also fall under this catagory.

ChestoRest

Using a Chesto Berry and Rest in tandem to wake up instantly after using Rest.

Cro

The prefix of a set name that consists of a stat-up move, Rest, Sleep Talk, and a STAB attack.

EndFlail

Endure and Flail.

EndRev

Endure and Reversal.

EndSalac

Endure and item Salac Berry.

Paraflinch

Utilizing both paralysis and flinches to keep an enemy Pokémon from being able to attack.

SubCM

Substitute and Calm Mind.

SubPunch

Substitute and Focus Punch.

SubRoost

Substitute and Roost.

SubSalac

Substitute and item Salac Berry.

SubSeed

Substitute and Leech Seed.

Abbreviations of Moves and Items

AA

Aerial Ace.

BB

Brick Break or Brave Bird.

BP

Bullet Punch or Baton Pass.

CB/Band

Choice Band, an item that increases the power of physical attacks by roughly 50%, but locks the holder into one move.

CC

Close Combat or Cross Chop.

CM

Calm Mind.

DD

Dragon Dance.

DM

Draco Meteor.

Dual Screen / DS

Light Screen and Reflect.

EQ

Earthquake.

ES

ExtremeSpeed.

F-Blast

Fire Blast or Focus Blast.

FP

Focus Punch.

GK

Grass Knot.

HP

Hidden Power.

Lefties

Leftovers, an item that restores 6.25% of the user's health each turn.

LK

Lovely Kiss.

LO

Life Orb, an item that increases the power of the holder's attacks by roughly 30%, but takes 10% health each time it issues a direct attack.

MM

Meteor Mash.

NP

Nasty Plot.

Para

Paralysis.

QA

Quick Attack.

Scarf

Choice Scarf, an item that increases the holder's Speed by 50%, but locks the holder into one move.

SD

Swords Dance.

SE

Stone Edge or Super Effective.

Specs

Choice Specs, an item that increases the power of special attacks by roughly 50% but locks the holder into one move.

SR

Stealth Rock.

STalk

Sleep Talk.

T-bolt

Thunderbolt.

T-Spikes / TS

Toxic Spikes.

T-Wave

Thunder Wave.

WoW

Will-O-Wisp.

WW

Whirlwind.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
R/S (also known as Advance, ADV, and RSE)

The introduction of items, such as Choice Band and Choice Scarf, led to more varied strategies.
remove choice scarf with leftovers

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Under General Movesets, I believe the Cro sets should get a mention. Cro, of course, consists of a stat up move, single attack, and resttalk.

I had a quick scan, and I have a few issues:

Hax

An event which has a low probability of happening which critically affects the outcome of a match. Also referred to as luck in general.

Togekiss has a high chance at causing hax to the opponent.
So wait... Togekiss has a high chance of causing an event which has a low probability of happening? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'd suggest that you change the definition to something along the lines of "potentially game-winning added effects", personally.

Wall

A Pokémon intended to take attacks, usually from one side of the spectrum, extremely effectively.

Skarmory's enormous physical Defense makes it one of the most, if not the most, sturdiest physical walls in the game. It also has access to Spikes, Roost, and Whirlwind, three moves that Skarmory has many opportunities to use.
Just change sturdiest to sturdy.

Wall-Breaker

An offensively oriented Pokémon meant specifically for crushing walls rather than sweeping. This is usually done with extra powerful offensive stats and oftenly use both physical and special moves in their moveset.

Salamence's very high base 135 Attack and base 110 Special Attack stats, fast base 100 Speed, and an enormous movepool that consists of various physical and special moves, Salamence holds the title as the most threatening wall breaker in the game.
That last sentence doesn't really make sense. Replacing "Salamence's" with "With" would work, or you might just want to rewrite it yourself.

I think you should add gimmick if you haven't. (I skimmed through because I have to leave soon)

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
-SE can also stand for Super Effective.

-I would capitalize the B in T-bolt since you did it in T-Wave.

-Might wanna add what Gen (Like 1st Gen, 2nd Gen) stands for.

-Might wanna add that #HKO= number of hits it takes to KO a Pokemon. (Though that's kind of obvious)

-Might wanna add what EVs and IVs are.

That's about it. Nice job. ^_^

I think you should add gimmick if you haven't. (I skimmed through because I have to leave soon)
Well, gimmick is pretty obvious I think. I'll leave it out for now, if people think it should be added, I'll do it right away.

-SE can also stand for Super Effective.

-I would capitalize the B in T-bolt since you did it in T-Wave.

-Might wanna add what Gen (Like 1st Gen, 2nd Gen) stands for.

-Might wanna add that #HKO= number of hits it takes to KO a Pokemon. (Though that's kind of obvious)

-Might wanna add what EVs and IVs are.

That's about it. Nice job. ^_^
Thanks Fireburn. I left out some of your suggestions though. I didn't capitalize the "B" in "bolt" because Thunderbolt is one word, unlike Thunder Wave. I didn't add the Gen stuff because that's already mentioned at the top. The #HKO is also pretty obvious, so I don't think I'll add that in, unless people want me to.

under "regibro", registeel takes electric attacks relatively well, not reliably well
Got it, thanks!

This isn't the most recent version of the dictionary because I added this

and edited a few definitions earlier this month...

http://www.smogon.com/scms/history/4395

http://www.smogon.com/scms/revision/compare?a=35433&b=32237 (my edit)
Oh. I didn't know that diinbong. I just took the current one on-site. Sorry about that. I added in the Spin Blocker role and I'll fix the "which/that" stuf too. Thanks!

Thanks again guys!

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Grammar and some comments.

Special Sweeper

A Pokémon who uses specially offensive moves to do damage and bring down an opponent's team. Many carry Special Attack boosting moves, like Nasty Plot or Calm Mind.

Porygon-Z's access to Nasty Plot and power-increasing abilities give it excellent special sweeping capabilities. Its STAB Tri Attack and other powerful attacks, such as Thunderbolt and Ice Beam, are ridiculously powerful when boosted, ripping entire unprepared teams to shreds.
"typo" of its.

Supporter

A Pokémon that uses non-offensive moves which benefit the team.

Cresselia has various supportive options in her movepool that can be helpful for her team. Some of these include: Thunder Wave, Toxic, Reflect, Light Screen, and Lunar Dance.
Since Cresselia is only female, you should just use the feminine words.

Tank

A Pokémon intended to take attacks, usually from one side of the spectrum, and hit back.

Hippowdon is a very potent physical tank. With its (space) grand HP, Defense, and Attack stats, it can take multiple physical hits with ease and hit back hard with its powerful Earthquake.
Spacing problem.

Wall

Skarmory's enormous physical Defense makes it one of the most, if not the most, sturdy physical wall in the game. It also has access to Spikes, Roost, and Whirlwind, three moves that Skarmory has many opportunities to use.
I'd personally just remove that part. Unneeded, and it's just extra words to read.

Auto-Weather

A Pokémon whose ability creates a weather effect, such as sand, rain, hail, or sun, when they are brought into play.

Tyranitar's ability, Sand Stream, allows it to set up an auto-weather effect in the form of a sandstorm.
Missing word.

BP

Base Power of a move.

Dragonite's Outrage has a BP of 120.
I think we're talking about the abbreviation of BP, not the words spelled out.

F-Blast

Fire Blast.
You might also want to put Focus Blast here.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Just a comment, under "SR" for Stealth Rock, you might want to add a note that "SR" is sometimes also used to mean soft reset. Yeah, not battle related, but it might be useful to note.

Thanks Aroma for the proofread. Age of Kings, this is only a competitive dictionary, so I don't think I'll be adding in Soft Reset under SR. Sorry!

Rapid Spinner / Spinner

A Pokemon who uses Rapid Spin to remove entry hazards.

Boasting a high Speed stat and powerful attacks, Starmie is considered as the best offensive Rapid Spinner in the game. No Ghost-type (the only type of Pokemon that ignores Rapid Spin) won't enjoy taking a hard-hitting Hydro Pump.
Change "won't" to "will."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)