Other The Next Best Thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Alright, Colossus wins this round. Now time for one of our most diverse Pokémon.

A Pokémon that has become a universal fan favourite throughout the gens & seems to keep getting better & better as they go on, our next subject is none other than Tyranitar!

Tyranitar @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 124 Spd / 252 SAtk / 132 HP
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast/Thunderbolt
- Rock Polish

This set might seem gimmicky, well that's cause it is!
However it can catch quite a few things by surprise and it's solid natural bulk will let it tank most non fighting super effective moves (especially non stabs) while activating the WP.
Special because it's both unexpected and better at beating Ttars switch ins (Lando-T especially) mixed would be possible but sacrificing a defensive stat with a -nature is not recommended.

Dark Pulse for STAB, Ice Beam for coverage alongside Fire Blast if Scizor/Ferro are an issue or Thunderbolt if Azumarill is a bigger concern.

The goal of this set is to come in on a weak resisted hit (or with a slow voltturn) on something that can't kill you, set up a Rock Polish at which point you'll outspeed up until Greninja your opponent will likely try to use a super effective move at which point (if you survive it!) you're at +2/+2 and can start a sweep (hopefully)!

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
EVs: 180 Hp / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice punch / Crunch / Fire punch

With taunt, Tyranitar is really annoying to stall teams since pokemons like Venusaur, Chansey, Skarmory, Clefable or Quagsire can't heal after being taunted. Speed is enough to outspeed Skarmory, Venusaur with no investment and pretty much every mon in a stall team. Attack is maximized to be able to 2HKO things like Clefable with Stone edge, (252+ Atk Mega Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 187-222 (47.4 - 56.3%)) and it's pretty surprising to see how powerful Ttar is even with no choice band/dragon dance. The last move is up to you, Ice punch it's Hippowdon and Gliscor harder, Crunch is a good stabbed move and Fire punch hits Ferrothorn and Scizor really hard.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Tyranitar @ Roseli Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Beam / Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

this set is dumb but it's good for teams that struggle against powerful sucker punch users, aka Mawile and Bisharp. You tank mawile's play rough + sucker punch with Roseli berry unless it gets like, total max rolls. So, you can check it pretty decently, and also EQ nearly OHKOs standard Bisharp and you outspeed it so, you can also check it to decent effect. Ice Beam / Fire Blast is kinda standard fare for support tar cuz you can lure and weaken Lando / Gliscor / Ferro pretty decently, also Mega Scizor.

It's basically support tar, but good for teams that are weak to Mawile / Bisharp, which is a lot of teams

Tyranitar @ Weakness Policy / Lum Berry / Tyranitarite
EVs: 156 Spd / 252 Atk / 100 HP
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Stone Edge

A bulky DDTar set, similar to the likes of Gyarados'. Tyranitar can use its massive bulk to force switches pretty easily, and can use Taunt in order to stop things like Skarmory or Rotom-W from stopping its set up with Whirlwind or Will-o-Wisp. Weakness Policy is definitely more dangerous, letting TTar grab boosts off of weak super effective attacks. Lum Berry offers more options to switch into, and can let TTar get away with being more lenient with Taunt or start setting up on faster threats, such as Thundurus-I (without Focus Blast or Superpower, I guess :/). Tyranitarite is your best option if neither of the above are useful to you, though you might want to play around with Speed investments if you go this route, as you can outpace a few more things with 71 base Speed than 61. Max Attack Adamant is obvious, 156 Speed lets you outpace 0 Speed Venusaur and stop its Sleep Powder or Leech Seed with a Taunt, and the rest goes to HP in order to tank hits better.

You'll need a pair of boosts before you start outspeeding faster 'mons (a single boost nets you 295 Speed, which lets you outspeed fully invested base 80s, while a second boost brings you to 394, which basically outspeeds every relevant, nonscarved threat in OU). However, this messes up bulky teams pretty badly, especially ones that rely on the likes of Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, or Bisharp to revenge kill with priority, or ones that use Rotom-W to check physical attackers with Will-o-Wisp. Something a little different, anyways.

Tyranitar @ Expert Belt
EVs: 88 Atk / 252 SpA / 168 Spe
Naive / Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Pursuit / Crunch
- Stone Edge

Basically I use this when paired with Sand Rush Excadrill, it lures in and KOes Landorus-T, Hippowdon, and Skarmory which is really useful. It outspeeds defensive / bulky Landorus-T with these EVs and OHKOes Skarmory with Fire Blast and Landorus-T with Ice Beam. Hippowdon is 2HKOed (or it switches out but it is in KO range for Excadrill). You can also pair it with other things that like these walls gone, something like Garchomp also appreciates this a partner, and stuff like that. As a bonus, it can also Pursuit trap Lati@s if you want.

252 SpA Expert Belt Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 312-367 (93.4 - 109.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Expert Belt Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 461-542 (120.9 - 142.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 247-293 (58.8 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Actually looking at Ash Borer's set it is somewhat similar, though I think they play very differently.

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SDef
Impish Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Rest
- Rock Slide

This set is really simple. It's a bulky stall TTar, as max def TTar has the same Def, and more Spdef (given 1.5x sand multiplier) AND HP than Max/Max Def Registeel. Not to mention more attack/utility moves. There aren't many pokemon capable of taking this bulky monster down Mega TTar in one shot. Don't you need more attack? Nah...

0 Atk Mega Tyranitar Crunch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gothitelle: 278-330 (98.5 - 117%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

One of the greatest "stall breakers" is limited to a one kill max. Same goes for gengar. Aegislash?

0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Mega Tyranitar: 204-244 (50.4 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
For being 4x weak, that's pretty good.

Just pair it with a sylveon/Leftover cleric. This thing checks Zard-Y.

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 44 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 336-396 (83.1 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Obviously, help is needed but this is just a soft check.

To remove psychics and ghosts (especially defog twins), disable M-Venu's recovery, and wall off everything not packing a fighting move is pretty useful. Just remember, it's registeel with a better movepool and more attack.

Last edited:
Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 SDef, 236 Def, 20 Atk
Careful Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower/Brick Break
- Iron Head/Ice Punch

I usually run this set when I don't have much bulk on a team and need some. Lets start off with the Vest, The Assault Vest is a nifty little item that boosts your SDef by 1.5x and giving T-Tar this Item with a little of Bulk added in the EV spread allows it to usually live T-Tars most common counters such as Fighting type moves and Earthquake allowing it to live another day. Now I like to use a different then usually Pokémon so what I did with T-Tar was give it the ability Unnerve. Unnerve is a ability overlooked by many but is more useful then it may seem, Unnerve prevents the foe from using its given berry so Pokémon like Trevenant and the Rotom family that relies on there berry to wake them up from after a Rest or to prevent being poisoned and burnt go bye,bye and are usually destroyed without the help of their berry also Pokémon that belly drum and sitrus berry restore are also destroyed by the ability.

Now lets go into the moveset, This is a physical T-Tar if you haven't already seen and it works like a charm to the Pokémon that are weak to them. Stone Edge for those Fire, Bug ,Ice and Flying Types and Crunch for those Ghosts and Psychic Types but when you get to Superpower that's when you have to think. Superpower is a really strong fighting type move that has 100% accuracy but lowers your Attack and Defense,Brick Break on the other hand is a weaker but more reliable move. Strength over Reliability or Reliability over Strength your call. And now Iron Head and Ice Punch, Iron Head is a move that has a chance of flinch and is Super effective against very types but T-Tar is weak to fairy types so it may be risky and on the other hand we have Ice Punch which is a safer option in my view because your can hit on of your bigger counters Ground types and answer to Grass types well too and has a chance to freeze, You may be saying that oh how about your grass weakness wouldn't that be risky. Well Yes but no with the given bulk T-Tar can Bulk out most Physical Grass moves such as horn leech and bullet seed, Also Ice Punch is a good answer to Dragons as well.

-Edited

Last edited:
Assault Vest only boosts Sp.Def... you must be thinking of Eviolite, which boosts both defenses by 1.5x, but only works with a pokemon still capable of evolving.
Sorry I must have been High or something because when I was ready I swear I saw Def too I should have known that xD Thanks for reminding me or I would have messed up big time xD

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 112 SAtk / 148 Atk / 248 HP
Quiet Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

Alright, so basically, what this set is is a sand supporter set for things like Excadrill and Mega Garchomp. The item is self explanatory for this purpose, lengthening the Sand length from 5 Turns to 8 Turns. You have Stealth Rock basically for overall support, and Stone Edge is your primary stab do kill off things like Charizard Y/X and Talonflame. The EVs are set up to always OHKO 0 SDef Ferrothorn after Rocks, as well as 252 HP Landorus T after Rocks and Gliscor regardless, unless it has special bulk (for some reason). Basically, the set allows you to pick off certain threats that your Sand Feasters love, while also providing them plenty of sand to feast upon

112+ SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 332-392 (94.3 - 111.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
112+ SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 368-436 (96.3 - 114.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
112+ SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 388-460 (109.6 - 129.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Sand Stream
252 HP, 60 Atk, 196 SDef
Careful
- Thunder Wave
- Roar / Dragon Tail
- Rock Slide
- Pursuit

This is definitely my favorite set to use in sand-offense teams. This Tyranitar is built to assist Mega Garchomp by parashuffling whatever it can as well as pursuit trapping Latios. Rock Slide synergizes with Thunder Wave because it forms a pseudo paraflinch combo. The choice between Roar and Dragon Tail is whether you want to phaze fairies or get some chip damage in there.

Tomahawk

The ability to disrupt stall by KO'ing pokemon that opponents think would wall Tyranitar is pretty good :toast:

Ajwf

Uses Mega Tyranitar's bulk exceptionally well. It has its limitations, but its role can easily be helped by a Heal Beller, especially Clefable, and it also supports other stall mons, while stopping a few stall breakers, especially Kyurem Black (Life Orb 252 Earth Power does 39% max, with Rock Slide easily 2HKO'ing).

Latios (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Memento
- Draco Meteor

Dual Screens may have fallen out of favor due to Deoxys-S, but it skill has some key notable advantages. First, it has a 130 Special Attack Draco Meteor to throw around, allowing it to function as more than just a Dual Screen user. Second, Memento allows Latios to bring in teammates on a Pokemon with weakened stats, allowing them to set up even easier under Dual Screens. This set actually functions best with Deoxys-S, as it can set up games later in the match. Max Speed helps Screens go up as fast as possible, while max HP makes sure the Latios can almost always set up multiple screens if needed. Light Clay is also used to prolong Screens. Overall, Latios is helpful for teams looking for a more offensive-inclined Dual Screen user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)