Other The Next Best Thing - ORAS OU Edition (Discussing Gardevoir sets) Check Post #920

Status
Not open for further replies.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Choice Band Rhyperior

Rhyperior @ Choice Band
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Megahorn

Rhyperior switches in against pokemon like Zard X, Talonflame and Zapdos and hit the incoming pokemon with a strong STAB move. Ice Punch to hit Tankchomp / Lando / Gliscor harder and Megahorn for better coverage against grass and psychic types. 140 attack is pretty underrated and combined with 100 BP STABs you can easily wear down defensive pokemon
252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 199-235 (47.3 - 55.9%) -- 80.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Garchomp: 460-544 (109.5 - 129.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 162-192 (48.5 - 57.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 192-226 (48.7 - 57.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 180-212 (47.3 - 55.7%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 148+ Def Celebi: 716-844 (177.2 - 208.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 454-536 (112.3 - 132.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

You still keep good defensive utility
252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 196 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 213-252 (50.7 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD Rhyperior: 159-187 (37.8 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Pixilate Mega Altaria Return vs. 196 HP / 0 Def Rhyperior: 255-300 (60.7 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 44 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 196 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 229-270 (54.5 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Sub + SD Rhyperior.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
EVs: 136 HP / 192 Atk / 16 SpD / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

This Rhyperior set takes advantage of Rhyperior's natural bulk and ability in order to pull off a sweep, or break down walls for a teammate to sweep. The main idea of the set is to set up a Substitute on something that can't do much damage to you, e.g most Heatran (Lacking Roar), Jirachi, Fairies, & most Electric types, then proceed to set up a Swords Dance & attempt to pull off a sweep. Given EVs allow Rhyperior 101 HP Subs, which, along with Solid Rock, should remain unbroken on some neutral & even super effective hits. EVs give Rhyperior 728 Attack, which is more than enough to plow through the meta.

Damage Calculations (Would show more offensive & defensive ones, but my hide tags are broken.)

+2 192+ Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 244-288 (69.3 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 192+ Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Garchomp: 294-346 (70 - 82.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 192+ Atk Rhyperior Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 207-244 (61.9 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
SD + Rest Rhyperior

Rhyperior @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 atk / 4 def
Adamant Nature

- Swords Dance
- Rest
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

This Rhyp is designed to sweep late game, when all threatening mons are gone and it can get off an SD, KO things, get a last minute rest and finish off, while also being able to force switches with it's great physical bulk and resistances earlier in the game. Ideally, strong special attackers will be removed and anything that can 2HKO will be weakened to the point it can't switch in, and the opp will be forced to sack their (insert offense mon who Rhyp can take at least 3 hits from), while you set up an SD on the unsuspecting opponent. You then have to predict a little, though this mostly depends on the power of your opps mon, and either rest or attack. Since Rhyp is very slow and easily revenged, you need to time your rest well to avoid dying, so don't rest if it's a papercut and your opp can't kill you from that range. If you set up this Rhyp at the right time in the match, it should clean up a good chunk, if not all, of your opps remaining pokes.

Other Options: EQ can be dropped for Sleep talk, allowing for lefties use and multiple rests, but you then have to get rid of weaker rock resists that can't touch you and rely on sleep talk hitting the right move.
A bulkier spread can be used for ease of setting up, but I can't calc one right now as I'm on my phone.

Last edited:

SketchUp

No it isn't

Adding a bit information before this gets deleted:
Sub SD uses free switches it gets against stuff like Talonflame to set up a sub and eventually keep the sub against pokemon that fail to hit it hard. I don't really like the set because 6 weaknesses + low SpD doesn't help you keep the subs but it is pretty nice against Talonflame / Tyranitar / Mega Sableye, though the first 2 don't want to stay in anyway.
Rest SD gives Rhyperior longetivity and helps to set up against stuff like Hippowdon and Dragonite. Kinda reminds me of a Resttalk SD Escavalier set that is used in RU, which works pretty similar to Rest SD Rhyperior. However, Rhyperior lacks the typing and special bulk to keep threatening in the sleep turns, especially when you lack Sleep Talk. I guess Resttalk SD Stone Edge might work but it is still a free switch in for stuff like Keldeo and Lando-T who can easily beat you 1v1

Last edited:
Yes it is. There's a one move difference and they basically serve the same purpose. Substitute and Rest both "block" status making it easier for rhyperior to set up. Sub gives rhyperior more set up opportunities against weak mons that can't break its sub, while rhyperior's natural bulk gives it enough set up opportunities and after taking some damage it can heal up with rest and start a sweep. Although they are not identical, sub and rest each have their own perks. Sub stops revenge killing, while rest gives rhyperior some more longevity and instant healing. I'm looking for unique and creative sets, not sets that just take a set 1 post above them and change 1 move and the EVs a bit.

edit: ok that's exactly my point. Rest and sub gives you set up opportunities against certain mons. They're not exactly the same but they're too similar.

Last edited:

SketchUp

Yes it is. There's a one move difference and they basically serve the same purpose. Substitute and Rest both "block" status making it easier for rhyperior to set up. Although they are not identical, sub and rest each have their own perks. Sub stops revenge killing, while rest gives rhyperior some more longevity and instant healing. I'm looking for unique and creative sets, not sets that just take a set 1 post above them and change 1 move and the EVs a bit.
I can make a quick comparison between the sets with Hippowdon and Keldeo
Hippowdon without Whirlwind is setupfodder for Rest Rhyperior, as it fails to 3HKO, while SubSD gets taken out of sub and it will lose 1v1 because it fails to stay healthy long enough to set up and take Hippow down.
Against Keldeo, Sub protects Rhyperior agaibst the Scald of Keldeo, so it can hit it with a strong EQ. Rest 2 Atks has 2 turns where it can do nothing and with 6 weaknesses and bad SpD you invite every special attacker to switch in and kill you. Resttalk also can't hurt Keldeo.
Both have their pros and both have their cons but they are not comparable

Rock Tomb Rhyperior
Rhyperior @ Leftovers
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Ice Punch

Pretty much standard Rhyperior here, only with Rock Tomb replacing Stone Edge/Rock Blast. The reason this set has Rock Tomb is because it hits everything that Stone Edge is supposed to )Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, bird spam in general, etc.), only with the added benefit of slowing the target's speed by one stage. This is actually pretty useful because in a lot of cases the opponent will be switching out to a pokemon that can handle Rhyperior, such as Serperior or Keldeo. Rock Tomb makes these targets much easier to handle with other teammates, making this set incredibly useful for balanced teams that struggle with Offense a tad. While the power difference between Stone Edge and Rock Tomb is quite noticeable, Rhyperior is still able to get through the things he was meant to check/counter.

Sub Toxic Rhyperior

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
EVs: EVs: 136 HP / 184 Atk / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Probably, instead of explaining the evs spread and the set, i need to explain why use rhyperior instead of gliscor. Sub toxic gliscor can't touch skarmory and ferrothorn, rhyperior can 2kho ferro , 4hko skarmory with fire punch BUT if skarmory use roost, i can 2kho him. So even if steel pokemons are immune to toxic, they can't switch easily on me. After this, with rhyperior is pretty easy toxic walls like landorus-t, hippodown or slowbro, all pokemon crippled by toxic.
For the evs spread:

136 HP: with 136 i reach the magic number of 405 HP, so seismic toss can't break my sub; because is pretty easy hit x2 or x4 this ground unicorn, i didn't full invested him.
184 Atk: those evs are "filler", i think is pretty useless invest in defense for this kind of set.
188 Spe: for outspeed clefable (now a lot of player use clefable with some speed) I can do huge damage to clefable with eq, even if i cannot 2kho him, he can't set up on me free.
Use this set with ddance mega altaria, mega diancie or mega gyarados or anything that is walled by ferrothorn or skarmory.

Calcs:

184+ Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 193-228 (48.9 - 57.8%) -- 56.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
184+ Atk Rhyperior Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 248-292 (70.4 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
184+ Atk Rhyperior Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 104-124 (31.1 - 37.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
184+ Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 206-246 (61.6 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but here I go!

Assault Vest Rhyperior

Rhyperior @ Assault Vest
EVs: 176 HP / 80 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Ice Punch
- Dragon Tail

This set is used to lure in special attackers like SubCM Keldeo, Gengar, Lati@s, M-Gardevoir, Hydreigon and others, hitting them on the switch, take a hit (and survive) and KOing them by surprise. Equiping Rhyperior with an Assault Vest and investing in its SpDef gives it enough special bulk to withstand some strong special moves, even super effective ones due to Solid Rock. The EV spread makes Rhyperior avoid being OHKOed by Landorus, SubCM Keldeo, MegaZard-Y and many more specially oriented threats, 2HKOed by M-Gardevoir, Surf-less Lati@s, M-Diancie and others while retaining enough physical bulk to still be able to check prominent threats like MegaZar-X, Talonflame, M-Pinsir the standard set is supposed to check.

This set trades the ability to use Leftovers and status moves like Stealth Rock, Toxic and whatnot for checking special attackers a lot better, helping its teammates to get rid of potential threats. Dragon Tail is used to phaze out the opposing mon on a predicted switch-in to provide chip damage (with the possibility of entry hazards) for an eventual sweep from one of its teammates while Rock Blast is used over Stone Edge for getting past Substitutes, which Dragon Tail can't. Earthquake is the mandatory STAB move and Ice Punch is for hitting Garchomp, Gliscor and the Landos hard.
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 176 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Solid Rock Rhyperior: 259-306 (62.4 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Rhyperior Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus: 316-372 (99 - 116.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

240 SpA Mega Diancie Earth Power vs. 176 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Solid Rock Rhyperior: 129-153 (31 - 36.8%) -- 67.7% chance to 3HKO
0 Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 266-314 (110.3 - 130.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 176 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Rhyperior: 208-247 (50.1 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Rhyperior Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 174-206 (58.1 - 68.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 176 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Solid Rock Rhyperior: 345-408 (83.1 - 98.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Rhyperior Rock Blast (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 540-648 (181.8 - 218.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

232 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 176 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Solid Rock Rhyperior: 175-207 (42.1 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Mega Gardevoir: 198-234 (71.4 - 84.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I'm too late for this set to be a contender and I don't care about votes, but I just want people to know about this gimmick set:

Scarf Rhyperior
Rhyperior @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Megahorn

Reaches 294 Speed. Goal is surprise kills against things that know they can take at least one hit and think they are faster. All about prediction though.

252 Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 208-246 (51.8 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
-1 252 Atk Rhyperior Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 180-216 (47.1 - 56.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Rhyperior Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 104+ Def Mew: 226-268 (55.9 - 66.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Rhyperior Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 163-193 (53.6 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 64 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria: 160-189 (52.1 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Rhyperior Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Garchomp: 260-308 (61.9 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)