The Most Facepalm Worthy Thing You Have Done in All of Pokémon

I did it today. I should have done more research before this happened.

In my copy of Shield, I wanted to start breeding a bunch of Psychic Surge Indeedee, but I couldn't decide on which Pokeball to have the offspring inherit. Since my main target is the female variant (can learn Heal Pulse via egg move) I initially felt the Premier Ball matched the female color scheme fairly well, so I went with that. However, I also wanted another option if I so chose.

To go on a brief tangent, I recently bred and held a giveaway on /r/pokemongiveaway for a bunch of 5 IV Beast Ball Hidden Ability Dreepy w/ egg moves, and while I was trying to ensure that all of the offspring had Beast Balls, they were also inheriting Dusk Balls from one of the Dreepy parents. Seeing this happen, I assumed that's how it always happens with the parent Pokemon...but it completely slipped my mind that this specific interaction where the balls varied in the same clutch can only happen with parents of the same species. This point is significant for the massive fuck up that I'll reveal shortly.

I plan to do another giveaway with Psychic Terrain Indeedee w/ the egg moves Psych Up and Heal Pulse. For that, I needed to capture an Aromatisse in a max raid battle since it can learn both.

>cue stupidity

Here's where I start thinking about the second Pokeball option in case I didn't want to use the Premier Ball. I throw it at the Aromatisse, catch it, reteach the moves Heal Pulse and Psych Up, head to the Daycare on Route 5, put the two parents in, and start getting the eggs. As I'm accumulating eggs...none of them come with this specific Pokeball. They're always spawning in Premier Balls. This is when I start to get concerned, and I opened Bulbapedia to see if I made a mistake.

Yup.

fuk.png

I also found out shortly after that there's only one of this specific Pokeball in the game, and it can't be earned again in the Wyndom Stadium Championship rematch like I thought.

What is this specific Pokeball?

The Aromatisse was a Male with Healer, too. I want to die.

So a few days ago, I was resetting dens trying to get Runerigus, but that thing just won't show up. I ended up having to reset the purple beam 139 times before finally getting it (at one point I was even going to settle for Yamask, but that didn't show up either.)

And now for the facepalm.

I watched my Watts go from 160k to 298k, but for some reason, my muscle memory switched from "reset purple beam" to "reset FOR purple beam" and closed the game.

Without saving.

And there goes 138k Watts.

Luckily, maybe, for some odd reason, it's almost like the game figured out what I had just done, so it made sure I reset another 69 times to get those 138k Watts back before finally giving me Runerigus on the 70th time after rebooting the game, 139th total.

Yesterday, I was using the Den Reroll trick to get a Mimikyu.

On the wrong den. I only realized it after a Charizard popped up.

(At least then I tried with the right den and the Mimikyu that showed up had the Relaxed nature I was looking for)

Last edited:
As a child I played perl only with one pokemon, my torterra. When I got to elite four it was level 80 or something. Well I still managed to lose the first try because I had no move to touch lucians bronzong except razor leaf (Somehow I thought razor leaf was the best move in the game). Because of this I thought for quite some time that bronzong had to be one of the strongest pokemon. Well after that every bronzong I saw went straight into the pc to collect this "powerful species". Idk why I thought almost one box full of bronzongs would be good but discovering it again years later before resetting the file to go for another playthrough was priceless.

Back during the shiny Magikarp event I found a shiny Magikarp in a raid. Not knowing that there was an event that made my shiny a lot more common, I got really excited and decided to throw my only Master Ball at it just so I'd have no chance of it escaping. I told everyone I knew about my shiny Magikarp until one person told me that there was an event.

Lesson learned: read the Pokemon news articles before getting excited over anything.

A few generations ago, I caught a random wild shiny Marill - unfortunately, she has a bad nature and no egg moves, so she's been competitively useless and just a cute little display piece up until now. But hey, with the new Mints and egg move mechanics, if the Azumarill line is added in the expansions, my baby girl should finally be good to go!...

... Except, since shiny Marills are lime green and shiny Azumarills are sunny yellow, I named her Corona.

*stares at the camera like in The Office*

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
When I was really young (like well over a decade ago) one of my first exposures to the Pokemon brand was a sticker book which had every Pokemon up to and including the DPP dex. It was pretty simple, you took the stickers and stuck them into the correct section of the page with the Pokemon, right?

Well, one of these slots was for Porygon-Z. From here I'm not 100% sure whether it was me being a 5 year old or some print error in the book itself, but I put the sticker for Porygon2 in that slot, unable to find a Porygon that looked different from it and the OG. And because of this, for years afterward I thought Porygon2 and Z looked identical. Keep in mind my internet access for the time afterward was basically limited to Youtube where I didn't even watch that much Pokemon content for a good while, and I played games like DP and BW1/2 where the Porygon line wasn't present, and even if I could I couldn't trade and still can't to get Z. I'm pretty sure by the time I discovered what Porygon-Z actually looked like the Gen 5 era was in full swing, it might've even been right around the build-up to Gen 6. I happened to stumble upon a Let's Play or Wi-Fi battle of some sort where OP faced off against a foe who used Porygon-Z and it was a total mindfuck to me, the sensation being similar to a new Pokemon reveal.

When I was really young (like well over a decade ago) one of my first exposures to the Pokemon brand was a sticker book which had every Pokemon up to and including the DPP dex. It was pretty simple, you took the stickers and stuck them into the correct section of the page with the Pokemon, right?

Well, one of these slots was for Porygon-Z. From here I'm not 100% sure whether it was me being a 5 year old or some print error in the book itself, but I put the sticker for Porygon2 in that slot, unable to find a Porygon that looked different from it and the OG. And because of this, for years afterward I thought Porygon2 and Z looked identical. Keep in mind my internet access for the time afterward was basically limited to Youtube where I didn't even watch that much Pokemon content for a good while, and I played games like DP and BW1/2 where the Porygon line wasn't present, and even if I could I couldn't trade and still can't to get Z. I'm pretty sure by the time I discovered what Porygon-Z actually looked like the Gen 5 era was in full swing, it might've even been right around the build-up to Gen 6. I happened to stumble upon a Let's Play or Wi-Fi battle of some sort where OP faced off against a foe who used Porygon-Z and it was a total mindfuck to me, the sensation being similar to a new Pokemon reveal.
Well, to be fair, if you rotate Porygon-Z a bit, it does look like a miscolored Porygon2...

Well, to be fair, if you rotate Porygon-Z a bit, it does look like a miscolored Porygon2...
Indeed - especially since some parts aren't fully attached on Porygon-Z, you can pretty easily reconstruct it into the shape of Porygon2.
Notably, this reveals that its head is actually upside-down and its "horn" is its neck.
That's not horrifying at all

Also, a silly mistake I made when I was super young and playing DP: I was not familiar with a certain important word and thought that the field effect of Flash was to "eliminate" caves. I think I was vaguely scared to try it, but I was also really curious to know what would be there instead (I had this distinct mental image of Wayward Cave turning into some kind of forest as an extension of Route 206), so I finally tried it and... was very disappointed when all it did was make the circle of visibility bigger.
And that's how I learned the word "illuminate!"

I had that one!

I remember resetting my Pokémon White file because "I'll play it the same way, I'll see you all again..."

No, didn't happen.

when i was about ten or eleven years old i got my first core game, which was soulsilver. thus began a series of ominous events:
- i overused the fuck out of my starter (totodile) and it was essentially the only pokemon i had any levels on until i realized i could not use it to sweep the elite four and champion by itself.
- i tried to use it to catch lugia (i guess i figured there would be a better pokemon later to use the master ball on and i didn't want to waste it right away. Ha. haha.) it oneshot the poor thing. i was so upset. i wanted lugia so bad, and at the time i didn't know it would be back after the elite four. but it didn't occur to me to reset so on i went.
- i really had no idea what to do with the master ball. i had long slaughtered all of the wandering legendaries (again, i didn't realize they would come back) and i didn't know you could get ho-oh in soulsilver, i figured the box legendaries were version exclusive. so i thought i was just shit out of luck with regards to catching any legendaries.
- i had never caught an abra before. they always teleported away before i could weaken them, so i had no idea how they could be caught. (i didn't know what quick balls did.)
- i caught an abra. with my master ball. because i didn't know how else to use it. hhhhhhghghh

it's alright though cause i borrowed my friend's action replay and gave myself 999 of every single kind of pokeball. that soulsilver file is still on that cartridge and i recently have been playing it to get a brick break tm from the battle frontier to transfer to my new platinum save for a croagunk i'm using. i don't think i'll ever be able to comfortably delete that save, it would just be too sad.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
We also have Laser Focus :smogthink:
That's not really a laser, it's Japanese name is "Hone". The context of the move is that the user is just concentrating on their next action to assure a Critical Hit. Also I'm talking about a damaging move, one that is a thin beam of superheated light/plasma the user assumingly shoots from their eyes or maybe finger (or maybe a tail or tentacle or another appendage that normally wouldn't be able to shoot a stronger energy beam from). But this is getting off topic, so to get on track:

:facepalm: That moment when you divert from your plan/role in a Dynamax Raid, not only doing very little but possibly risking the entire run.

Specific Example: I had a Hatterene with Life Dew and we were going up against I think Zygarde. My original plan was just keep using Life Dew to keep everyone healthy as they used their super effective Pokemon on Zygarde. However, one turn everyone had full HP and I thought maybe this turn I could help do a little bit of damage. The result: Hatterene is a good healer because it moves last so it would heal the damage that was caused that turn. The turn I decided not to heal result in almost everyone getting into KO territory with my having done little damage despite using a SE move. And by the time next turn I was able to use Life Dew, Zygarde knocked out two of my partners. From then I just kept on using Life Dew and we did beat Zygarde, but still I almost blew it and I could just imagine the other people I was playing with going "YOU IDIOT KEEP HEALING!".

I remember the first time I played Pokemon (FireRed). When Champion Blue sent out his Venusaur, I sent out my Blastoise to have that starter vs starter showdown. That moment gave a huge lesson as I decisively lost that showdown.

Before that, I actually believed someone who told me that Bulbasaur can be found in Viridian Forest but is very rare. I wasted like an hour on it before giving up. At least my Pidgeotto got some experience out of it.

I also remember searching for Raikou again even after it used Roar on my Pokemon. I did not know about the Roar glitch back then. I wasn't able to use Master Ball on it since I already used it on Mewtwo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)