SM OU The Kanto Team that I´ve been keeping for 17 years (Mega Charizard X WinCo + Revenge Killing)

Introduction

Hello everyone.

Here we have the team I've been keeping for about 18 years since I bought my red version when I was a kid. I made lots of tests but It always seems the team is missing something as I never passed the 1500 elo. I don't know If it's the building or some lack of hability (maybe both).

The basic idea is to build the momentum for a sweep with Mega Charizard X, causing great damage, hitting hard, fast and super-effectively all along the battle. Revenge killing is also an important part of the strategy as all the team can do this effectively.

The Team

Jolteon @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Signal Beam
- Shadow Ball

Jolteon works as my main lead. It can hit hard with a great coverage moveset and I can bring Dragonite or Charizard to check earth attacks. Jolteon can hold itself against lots of common leads in OU like Aerodactyl, Jirachi, Azelf, Metagross, Bronzong, Heatran, Gengar, Gyaradus, even sacrificing itself for a later revenge kill If Jolteon is not needed for a further check to water threats to Charizard.

Nidoking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

This Assalt Vest Nidoking keeps its hability to hit hard, but also has the defenses to hold itself against lots of dangerous theats to my team such as Toxapex, Tapu Koko, Tapu Fini and other steel and fairy types. It also can be a sweeper mid-late game if I'm facing a slower team, or work dealing the most possible damage to open an set up opportunity to Charizard.

Alakazam @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Psychic

Alakazam is a defense against status, a damage dealer, revenge killer and a potential late game sweeper. Energy Ball is there basically to deal with swampert. The other moves gives nice coverage to open the way to a late game sweep or a winning revenge kill.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Recover
- Scald

Starmie is the precious spinner of the team. It protects Charizard and Dragonite against rocks and criples the opponents with toxic and scald. It must survives and that's the reason for the EV spread and for recover.

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brick Break
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed

I really love this build, although It's kinda "slow". Dragonite hits incredibly hard with this choice banded Extremespeed and with Outrage against neutral opponents. It is my main revenge killer. Brick Break is there to hit Chansey. I am now striving with the Idea to change Fire Punch for Ice Punch. Fire Punch gives coverage for fairy and steel types, but I already have Charizard and Flamethrower on Nidoking. Ice Punch would give me more chances against Landorus-T, but I think It would only give me that.

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake

The main win condition of the team. Although the rest of the team can win me battles by itself, my chances really increases If Charizard comes into play with its threats already defeated. Earthquake increases the coverage and can deal damage in a sacrificing battle for a later winning revenge kill.

Conclusion

I know there are some upgrades to the team with other Pokémon, but I want to make a final conclusion about this team viability in OU and find if the build is broken or If It's my battle experience. I really appreciate any help because it would keep me playing the game with the Pokémon I love the most.

Last edited:
The problem is that you're using underhanded Pokemon like Jolteon and Starmie, but for a wholly gen1 based team, you can't do much better. Good job on assembling that :)
Now if you're willing to update/compromise, the most obvious change would be to go from Jolteon to Tapu Koko, who retains the high speed you're looking for, the ability to pivot even against ground-types (U-Turn) and to set up Electric Terrain, powering up its own Electric-type STABs while also allowing you to use Thunder Punch on Charizard to take out Toxapex with more ease.
Consider Life Orb on Nidoking; Assault Vest doesn't allow it to live very notable special attacks but Life Orb with Sheer Force gives it a free, non negligible power boost. I'm not entirely sold on specs Alakazam but the surprise effect could work in your favour. Dragonite should really be using Superpower instead of Brick Break; it may drop the attack and defense but the power difference is sizeable, and you'll secure crucial KOs on the very Pokemon you're aiming at like Chansey.

Thank you very much for your reply!

You are right about Tapu Koko, it's a great upgrade over Jolteon (u-turn over volt switch gives it a new world of possibilities for the pivoting role). To tell you the truth, I had already thought about that but I missed the Charizard Thunder Punch part, whitch I really appreciated too.

I think you are also right about Superpower over Brick Break, as long as Dragonite is banded and It should probably retreat along the battle, the drop becomes irrelevant.

Alakazam is working nice indeed, surprising opponents while incrising it's killing range. The specs damage give me some unexpected winning revenve kills.

I will definitely try your suggestions, thank you again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)