ORAS PU The Hunters - 0.5k RMT

Sobi

Banned deucer.
We are...

THE HUNTERS!

Hey guys, Sobi here, with my fourth RMT! I was originally planning for this to be made to commemorate my 0.4k, but a few days later, I reached 0.5k, so I thought why not postpone the RMT till then. I was going to do an Ubers team, but after creating a project for the PU tier, I decided to learn more about the tier, and I finally managed to create a team, built around Ursaring and Choice Scarf Mr. Mime. A lot of Pokemon came and went in my team in order to counter Pokemon that my team really struggled with, but after battling on the ladder, I think that my team is complete now. As well as my team revolving around Ursaring + Mr. Mime, Roselia and Probopass form a neat defensive hazard-stacking core, and Purugly and Rotom-F are there to help form dents in the opposing team so that Ursaring and Mime can sweep late-game. I'm not going to talk about it too much here, because this belongs in the teambuilding process!

TEAMBUILDING PROCESS

+

So like I said above, I decided to build the team around these two fellas, who can pretty much pack a punch. With Ursaring, I could either go for Guts or go for Quick Feet, and both have helped me a lot. After a Swords Dance, Ursaring has the potential to deal loads of damage, and can sweep teams thanks to its great offensive stats. Mr. Mime is my fast late-game cleaner, but also supports Ursaring with Healing Wish if it's low on health; outside of this however, Mr. Mime hits on the other side of the spectrum, meaning it can take out Pokemon like Kingler and Avalugg, though they aren't very common. A Choice Scarf gives my team the Speed it needs, and helps Mr. Mime become a perfect late-game cleaner.

+

Now these two are my hazard-stacking mons, and I aim to get down Spikes and Stealth Rock early-game, especially if the opposing team lacks any or decent hazard removal, as it can be an absolute game-changer. However, this is not their only job; Roselia's good Special Attack stat can still be utilised to whittle away at the opponent's health (it does a good ~30% most of the times, provided the opponent doesn't resist it). Probopass is my pivot, but also resists a lot of things, making it the best Pokemon to switch into, and then pivot out.

Now that the cores were done, I had two Pokemon left, and I needed something that could eliminate any threats to the above Pokemon, paving the way for them to do their thing. Of course, there were many, many choices. Pawniard was one of them, but I went for Purugly because it had access to priority, could bluff a Life Orb, and had the ability to dent walls, so that is why I chose it.

(
)

My team was quite weak to Rotom-Frost, but also lacked useful coverage, so I decided to use Rotom-Frost. Its hard-hitting STAB moves, such as Blizzard and Thunderbolt, do a lot of damage, and can earn me quite a few KO's. It also gives me a handy Ground-type immunity.

THE TEAM

Drake (Ursaring) @

Ability: Quick Feet
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade

- Crunch

- Close Combat

- Swords Dance

ROLE: So Ursaring is the first part of the first core my team is based around. I played around with the set a bit, trying to find what would be most ideal, and so I came to the conclusion that Toxic Orb / Jolly / Quick Feet would be the best in order to get as much Speed as possible, as with Guts, whilst the increase in power was definitely helpful, Ursaring was being outsped by other 'mons, so I went for this set. It should ideally be sent out late-game, when all its counters have been taken out, otherwise there's a high chance of it fainting straight away, especially if there are entry hazards present.

MOVES: It's kinda straightforward, tbh. Facade is there because of the increased base power due to Ursaring being statused. This also makes it a good switch-in to WoW or any other status move. Crunch is there for the coverage and was so helpful when I was against a Slowpoke. Swords Dance is used over Protect because most of the times, the opponent will switch out, so Ursaring gets a free chance to set up, letting it get a successful sweep. It's used over Protect because as a late-game cleaner, scouting isn't very necessary, and Toxic Orb will still activate after Swords Dance is used - the only difference is that Ursaring takes damage (that is, if the opponent outspeeds it), but it can shrug it off.

EV SPREAD: EV spread is there to maximise Speed and Attack; this particular set itself focuses on Speed, like I said above, so a Jolly nature is used over Adamant because Swords Dance gives it the boost anyway.

OTHER OPTIONS: You could alternatively go for Flame Orb and Adamant if you think the power is crucial.​

Mask (Mr. Mime) @

Ability: Filter
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam

- Focus Blast

- Psychic

- Healing Wish

ROLE: Mr. Mime is the kind of Pokemon I just spam moves with, because its movepool is so wide, there's no limit on what I should run. With Choice Scarf equipped, Mr. Mime is a fast sweeper, and I like to bring it out mid-game, see what move should be used (I don't like hard-switching out, so I need to pick the right move), and then weaken or take out 1-2 Pokemon, so that Ursaring or Purugly can finish them off. It is also a good answer to Machoke 1v1, as it can OHKO it with Psychic if it doesn't have an Eviolite.

MOVES: Dazzling Gleam is there for the coverage, and Focus Blast hits Steel-types super-effectively. Psychic as a secondary STAB move which is quite spammable, and Healing Wish as a last resort if one of my primary attackers are low on health.

EV SPREAD: Maximum Special Attack and Speed, with a Timid nature to make sure Mr. Mime is as fast and powerful as possible.

OTHER OPTIONS: I originally went for Shadow Ball in the last slot; however, you do lose out on the beneficial team support.​

Grim (Purugly) @

Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out

- Return

- Sucker Punch

- U-turn

ROLE: I normally send out Purugly at the start of the match, to see what my opponent has under their sleeve, and to deal as much damage as I can to the opponent, before switching out with U-turn. With Silk Scarf, Return does so much damage and if it doesn't OHKO, I can finish the foe off with Sucker Punch. It can also be utilised as a late -game cleaner thanks to priority in Fake Out and Sucker Punch.

MOVES: Fake Out does a decent amount of damage thanks to the boost from Silk Scarf, and to most leads that do not resist it, does ~30% damage, which is definitely something. Return is another spammable STAB move, which is sure to earn me some 2HKOs / OHKOs. Sucker Punch to pick off at weakened foes, and U-turn to get out of the field.

EV SPREAD: This is bog-standard.

OTHER OPTIONS: Knock Off could be used for utility, Quick Attack could be used for more priority, but is very weak otherwise.​

Brook (Roselia) @

Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes

- Synthesis

- Sludge Bomb

- Giga Drain

ROLE: I usually send Roselia out after some of the primary sweepers on the opposing side have been removed because they'll most likely try and set-up on Roselia before taking it out. They'll also prevent it from getting down 3 layers of Spikes.

MOVES: Spikes is the choice of hazard removal, doing a good ~10% damage to the foe upon switching in. Synthesis increases Roselia's longevity, and the last two moveslots are dedicated to its STAB moves Sludge Bomb and Giga Drain.

EV SPREAD: This aims to make it as bulky as possible.

OTHER OPTIONS: The spread could be physically defensive instead, Toxic Spikes could be used over Spikes and Leaf Storm over Giga Drain for the extra damage output, though its best of running a more offensive set for that.​

Bulldozer (Probopass) @

Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 168 SpD / 84 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock

- Volt Switch

- Thunder Wave

- Power Gem

ROLE: Probopass is part 2 to this hazard-stacking core, setting Stealth Rock to chip away at the health of Flying-type / Levitate users who don't take any damage from Spikes. It is also my slow pivot, bringing in Mr. Mime / Ursaring / Purugly when the coast is clear for them to set up and / or sweep. Probopass can also spreads status, in this case Thunder Wave, helping my team greatly against Pokemon such as Ninjask (who'll try to BP Speed) and Floatzel.

MOVES: I've already explained about Stealth Rock. Volt Switch for rather slow momentum; however, it brings in some of my Pokemon safely, which is very useful. Thunder Wave to slow down faster Pokemon, and the chance of losing a turn is ever so helpful. Power Gem is there for coverage, and does a reasonable amount of damage, despite Probo not having SpA investment.

EV SPREAD: The spread makes Probopass as bulky as possible while retaining some Speed.

OTHER OPTIONS: I can't think of any ;_;​

Sly (Rotom-Frost) @

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute

- Blizzard

- Thunderbolt

- Pain Split

ROLE: Rotom-F is here to apply offensive pressure to the opponent behind a Substitute, something my other attacks cannot do. My team was weak to Rotom-F itself, so I threw it in to solve that problem. With my team also weak to Machoke, Rotom-Frost does a decent amount of damage, and has a good matchup against it, as long as its behind a Substitute.

MOVES: Substitute allows Rotom-F to dodge any damage from the foe, and to prevent them from taking advantage of that and setting up, Blizzard and Thunderbolt are there for nice BoltBeam coverage, which is bound to do loads. Pain Split helps against walls when it's low on health.

EV SPREAD: This makes it fast and powerful.

OTHER OPTIONS: Ice Beam over Blizzard for accuracy or a SubWisp set could be used to spread more status.
REPLAYS

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-359854873

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-359832734 (This was the team without Rotom-Frost. I had Seaking because of the team's weakness to Rotom-Frost, but I felt that it didn't really add much to the team)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-360310913

More to come... hopefully.​
THREATS

- I haven't got a solid counter to this, so I need to preserve Mr. Mime to deal with it.
- Carries Focus Blast as well as other coverage, Purugly needs to wish for a crit with Sucker Punch

- My team lacks hazard removal, and Stealth Rock / Sticky Web / Spikes / Toxic Spikes are really annoying for my team, though Purugly takes advantage of Sticky Web thanks to Defiant.

- If this runs a Choice Scarf, I think it pretty much outspeeds my team, and its Brave Bird does like ~80%.

SHOUTOUTS
I'm not very good at these but...
that's all i could think of ;; lmk if i missed you out <:

IMPORT
Drake (Ursaring) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Crunch
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Mask (Mr. Mime) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Filter
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Healing Wish

Grim (Purugly) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn

Brook (Roselia) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

Bulldozer (Probopass) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 168 SpD / 84 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Power Gem

Sly (Rotom-Frost) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Pain Split

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi Sobi, nice team and thanks for the s/o!

Your threatlist does accurately describe your weaknesses, and there is a nice way to cover most of those, by running Grumpig over Rotom-f. Grumpig not only provides you with a more solid Fighting and Psychic resist, severely helping you check attackers like Mr Mime, and I think it would be best to replace Rotom-f as it its the most expendable member of the team as you have over wallbreakers, and though you use it as a rotom-f check, both Grumpig and Probopass are very good Rotom checks.

The next change I think you should consider is Murkrow over Purugly. Murkrow works well with Grumpig as it puts pressure off of it, as it can easily revenge kill Machoke, and Pursuit trap Psychic types, notably opposing Grumpig, which your team is still weak to. It still provides priority like Purugly did, but its Pursuit support can really help out the team, such as weakening Gourgeist-XL and Metang for Ursaring and Mr Mime, respectively.

Lastly, I think offensive Probopass would be nicer for this team, as it still has very good bulk so can check Flying-types and others like you need it, but it allows you to check Pawniard which is a huge threat to the team.

Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave
- Shadow Ball
The speed allows you to outspeed adamant Monferno and Colbur berry helps vs Machoke

Murkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Dark Pulse
Dark Pulse can lure in and weaken stuff like Stunfisk and Metang for your main core

Probopass @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
Speed EV's allow you to outspeed stuff like bulky Machoke and Golem

Hope I helped!

As anty already said murkrow would be a giant help to the team as it is even able to Ohko mime after rocks and has chance to do so w/o rocks. It does a hefty damage to machokes as well. Tbh i hvent used dark pulse murkrow at all so cant say much bout that but yeah the way anty said it i guess it could work n_n .
Nice team nevertheless

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)