The Hunger Games (spoilers itt)

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Maybe so, but that doesn't change the fact that Katniss got saved by plot armor. Clove was blood lusted at that point, so I figured she'd kill her after getting the minute she got the upper hand, instead of holding herself back. Oh well, I didn't care for character anyway.

Tresh said he'd kill her the next they meet up. Am I the only one who sees a problem with that line? It seems really cartoonish (which ended up being his undoing). If I were Tresh and Rue was my younger brother (someone who I care deeply about), i'd kill her now anyway so I wouldn't have to deal with her in the future, I wouldn't "honor" a relationship that I heard off hand. It sounds crazy, but they're playing for keeps, which is why it rubs me the wrong way when a person in a movie neglects to kill a defenseless person due to plot based reasons. Tresh coming out of nowhere to save Katniss was the very definition of DEM.

Haymitch even states at the beginning of the games that the problem with the Career tributes is their arrogance. Clove is incredibly arrogant to the point where she feels she can take her sweet time. In the end, this proves to be her fatal flaw, as Haymitch predicts.

As for Thresh, I think he was played up more in the books to generally be a 'nice guy'. There is some honor among the regular tributes, especially in the poorer districts who don't really have any desire to be playing or to kill anybody. He kills Clove for her harshness toward Rue even after death, butt lets Katniss go repaying a one-time favor. Hence his "next time" line, since the debt is cleared. And Thresh was there because he needed to get something from the Cornucopia, so it's just a matter of timing.

I don't think anything was too out of line, because the uprising in 11 after Rue's death was meant to show that people aren't okay with the games, and that explains a lot of the character's actions, especially Thresh, who feels he has to repay Katniss for protecting Rue and being kind to her.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Alright, you guys convinced me. It feels good talking about a movie for +2 days. Time to read the book and see if its on par / better.

[Warning, post contains spoilers]

Saw it two days ago, and meh, I dunno. The movie got a lot of things right, all the settings, the acting, the music, it's all pretty good and fits the story. But, while I know this is a movie, I feel a lot was missing. Mostly the relations between characters, prior history, et cetera. Take for example the cave scene; in the movie it seems like Katniss and Peeta lay there for an afternoon, while in the book, Katniss goes through quite some struggles and doubts between Peeta and Gale, and it seems like they are there for weeks. This is something I noted more often during the movie; the time in the arena just seems to fly by too quickly, it's like everything happens in half an hour.

In conclusion, I don't think it was a bad movie at all, but it missed the depth of the book. Looking forward to the next two movies.

Oh, and one last thing, am I the only one who noted the terrible filming? The camera was really shaky throughout the entire movie, multiple people in the cinema complained about being dizzy and having headaches afterwards.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Oh, and one last thing, am I the only one who noted the terrible filming? The camera was really shaky throughout the entire movie, multiple people in the cinema complained about being dizzy and having headaches afterwards.
for much of the movie, this would make sense. Namely, anywhere Katniss is involved, especially running from something. Katniss running from something is about half of the Games. however, i agree that the filming could have been steadier

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
That was on purpose. They needed to obscure the kills to get the PG rating that would draw the majority of their viewers.

That was on purpose. They needed to obscure the kills to get the PG rating that would draw the majority of their viewers.
Yes, I realize that, but apart from that, the camera appeared very shaky at times, even at moments where nothing had to be obscured or sensored. I understand that they tried to keep the rating down, but that doesn't really explain all the shaking and needless panning and zooming of the camera at times.

Just got back from seeing the movie. I found it pretty underwhelming, but judging by some of the comments, the movie can be enjoyed best when you have already read the book, and I haven't even heard of the book before the movie came out.

In other news, the fashion sense of this world is fucking hideous.

Just got back from seeing the movie. I found it pretty underwhelming, but judging by some of the comments, the movie can be enjoyed best when you have already read the book, and I haven't even heard of the book before the movie came out.

The whole point of the fashion is to show that the inhabitants of the Capitol are just mental, and of course to form a contrast with the poor districts. That is something that was explained in the book, and something the movie skipped over, just like many other things.

I can recommend the books to everyone who's never read them, it's worth it. Or read Battle Royale, that's cool too.

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

That's the point. Capitol is so insane about fashion and looks. They have surgeries to make your skin different colors. I believe one of Katniss's dressers is supposed to have a purple tint to her skin or something like that.

I'm a longtime, huge fan.

I actually read the first book the week it came out about two years ago or so now and I fell in love with the series. I also saw the midnight premiere and I loved it. I was afraid that they were gonna mess the movie up, like they sometimes do with anything that is based off the book. Well, it wasn't perfect, but I didn't expect it to be. Besides, movie makers can't fit every little thing from the book into the movie and make it an extravagant tale.

I could go on and on about the hunger games, but I'm absolutely exhausted so let's just say that I love the series and I can't wait for the other movies (let's be honest, they're gonna have to make them lol). I also need to get around to rereading the books because they were fantastic. I recommend the books to anyone who just saw the movie.

:) <3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)