The Everything NHL Thread

Seriously. Calm down lol. A lot of no calls that game.

Time to get some more luck from the hockey gods and survive Boston's relentless offense for one more game. 4-2

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah if there was 1:30 left instead of :30 left maybe I'd be mad about the blatant game-changing trip that led directly to a Chicago goal. But they earned those two wins. Why is Torey Krug out there with 30 seconds left anyways. Either team could have won any of these 5 games, it's pretty safe to say that the winning goalie gets the Conn Smythe at this point. Tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuukkaaaaa might still get it even if the Blackhawks win with the way he played for 2 months

I am just praying to the hockey gods that Bergeron is ok for Game 6. The injuries you can't see are always the scariest.

Bruins were down 3-2 before in the Cup Finals and I think we all remember what happened to that small canadian village

The Leafs with another pointless trade for a goalie. At least they didnt give up too much. I wonder if LA could have gotten more, like a 1st rounder.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hardly pointless, we've got a fairly solid 1 and 1a goalie tandem now and both will push the other to be better. We struggled heavily when Reimer was injured this season so this trade really shores up our depth. And as you said we gave up very little, particularly considering we can wait right up until the second round to decide if we want to give them the draft pick or not.

Hardly pointless, we've got a fairly solid 1 and 1a goalie tandem now and both will push the other to be better. We struggled heavily when Reimer was injured this season so this trade really shores up our depth. And as you said we gave up very little, particularly considering we can wait right up until the second round to decide if we want to give them the draft pick or not.
All they did was hurt Reimer's confidence, who a had a very good year. The Leafs must not have much faith in him by trading for Bernier. Neither guy is a proven #1 goalie, though Reimer is a bit closer. The Leafs have more bigger concerns like signing their RFAs, extending Kessel and Phaneuf's contract etc. Bernier is an RFA too, so now they have to resign him lol.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Terrible trade for the Leafs. They were one of the weakest teams this season when it came to puck possession, and Matt Frattin was one of their best puck possession guys. They shored up a position that wasn't their biggest concern at the cost of their overall roster depth. Kings swindled them here.

Brutal last 2mins.

2-1 lead to behind 2-3

Ouch. Lets see if they can tie it back up with the remaining bit.

Edit: Nope, that's it!

Talk about a brutal way to lose. Reminiscent of Leafs Boston game 7.

Terrible trade for the Leafs. They were one of the weakest teams this season when it came to puck possession, and Matt Frattin was one of their best puck possession guys. They shored up a position that wasn't their biggest concern at the cost of their overall roster depth. Kings swindled them here.
You should be happy, he won't be scoring on the Sabres (as much) anymore!

I'm impressed that the Hawks won since the playoffs are always tailored for the defensive goon teams to win due to the refs swallowing their whistles and allowing nonstop interference/hooking/crosschecking

It's incredible how both teams could have one every single one of these games, except for game 3, that was all Bruins.

We got so fucking lucky and were on our backs sooooo much during the series. It's incredible.

I won't keep repeating myself on the tempo and shit about the series.. It's fucking over. Thank god. We all know.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
As much as I dislike all the rosters moves being made just barely after (and even before) the Stanley Cup Final even ended, these Philly buyouts are quite lolworthy, and I can't see how Holmgren is still employed.

So winners and losers of a crazy free agency:

Losers:

Toronto- For signing/resigning two borderline 2nd line players to ridiculous deals
Philly- For just signing Vinny and giving Giroux a 8 year extension for 8.3M a year. Gave Streit a stupid deal too. Vintage Holmgren.
Tampa Bay- Signing Filppula a 2nd liner, coming off a shitty season to 5M a year.

Winners:

Pretty much the teams that steered clear of the free agency silliness.

I know I'm the only one here, but I am happy that the Coyotes will be in AZ for at least another 5 years it looks like.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So winners and losers of a crazy free agency:

Losers:

Toronto- For signing/resigning two borderline 2nd line players to ridiculous deals
Philly- For just signing Vinny and giving Giroux a 8 year extension for 8.3M a year. Gave Streit a stupid deal too. Vintage Holmgren.
Tampa Bay- Signing Filppula a 2nd liner, coming off a shitty season to 5M a year.

Winners:

Pretty much the teams that steered clear of the free agency silliness.
The biggest losers of the day were the Devils IMO. Ryan Clowe is in contention for most useless player in the NHL, slow as molasses, low hockey IQ, hands of stone, he can't even push people around and park in front of the net like he used to due to deteriorating strength. Yet the Devils thought it'd be a good idea to give him 5 million.

Also, a lot of teams were losers simply because they didn't address enough needs. I'll just use the Oilers as an example, we needed a top pairing puck moving dman, a big physical forward in the top 6, toughness in the bottom 6, and a 3rd line center. We walked out of free agency with only the 3rd line center. I can't believe Dallas actually gave up positive value for Horcoff though lol, maybe MacT can con some team into giving up a big second line winger for Hemsky.

The biggest losers of the day were the Devils IMO. Ryan Clowe is in contention for most useless player in the NHL, slow as molasses, low hockey IQ, hands of stone, he can't even push people around and park in front of the net like he used to due to deteriorating strength. Yet the Devils thought it'd be a good idea to give him 5 million.
Clowe was a terrible signing but if he is healthy he is a better player than Clarkson. Clowe's deal is offset by resigning Elias and signing Ryder on a cheap deal so the Devils arent losers or winners.

Also, a lot of teams were losers simply because they didn't address enough needs. I'll just use the Oilers as an example, we needed a top pairing puck moving dman, a big physical forward in the top 6, toughness in the bottom 6, and a 3rd line center. We walked out of free agency with only the 3rd line center. I can't believe Dallas actually gave up positive value for Horcoff though lol, maybe MacT can con some team into giving up a big second line winger for Hemsky.
It was pretty hard to address needs given that this was probably the worst crop of UFAs in years. The only players left who might help the Oilers are Marek Zidlicky or Ian White.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)