The Everything NFL Thread - 2009

Perhaps people are still posting in this thread (stunning insight) because other people are, the thread is bigger, and this is not locked?

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
To toot your own horn, indeed... Granted, next year will be due for a new thread anyway but for now who cares?

So yeah, not much going on. Roflsberger stuff? *shrug* Oh, how 'bout them new playoff OT rules? Why did they feel a change was needed and, if so, why only for playoff games?

To toot your own horn, indeed... Granted, next year will be due for a new thread anyway but for now who cares?

So yeah, not much going on. Roflsberger stuff? *shrug* Oh, how 'bout them new playoff OT rules? Why did they feel a change was needed and, if so, why only for playoff games?
The rule hasnt changed much, except it helps for situations like the Vikings/Saints playoff game last year. Id wish theyd go to the college method of overtime, but consider just having the team start at mid field instead of the 30 yard line. That would never happen though since it seems everybody else hates the college overtime rules

Should be called the Brett Farve rule, just because all the Vikings qqers and Farve fanboys believe he could have led them to some miracle super bowl berth if he had a chance to take the field...by this point, Farve was already pretty damn battered, I highly doubt he would have pulled off anything except getting intercepted again.

The rule hasnt changed much, except it helps for situations like the Vikings/Saints playoff game last year. Id wish theyd go to the college method of overtime, but consider just having the team start at mid field instead of the 30 yard line. That would never happen though since it seems everybody else hates the college overtime rules
I really completely do not understand the line of logic of this overtime. If one team scores a field goal, then they were pussies and the other team should get a shot to be more manly? Whereas if the other team is manly and scores a touchdown, I guess the team they scored on is too weak and should not be allowed a chance?

Like, with all my scorn, I really literally have no genuine reading. Is it just some way to desperately stave off a real overtime system? If so, then why? If it is not some desperate attempt....again, then why? Very baffled!

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'm glad that they realise the overtime system is flawed and all, and I see how it can potentially go on for ages if it is following college rules. However, why not modify the college rules so that after a certain number of possessions, the game is declared a draw. Ugh sometimes the NFL confuses me as to why they don't fix a blatantly obvious problem.

I'm glad that they realise the overtime system is flawed and all, and I see how it can potentially go on for ages if it is following college rules. However, why not modify the college rules so that after a certain number of possessions, the game is declared a draw. Ugh sometimes the NFL confuses me as to why they don't fix a blatantly obvious problem.
wouldnt you want to see it like that though? Even if they started at mid field, i think id rather see them go by the college method rather than the current NFL overtime way. It also wouldnt go on for ages if they went by the college method. That might be even more exciting if it goes into two or three overtimes if both teams either cant be stopped or continually stop each other

Should be called the Brett Farve rule, just because all the Vikings qqers and Farve fanboys believe he could have led them to some miracle super bowl berth if he had a chance to take the field...by this point, Farve was already pretty damn battered, I highly doubt he would have pulled off anything except getting intercepted again.
lol shin you don't know what you are talking about. of the 4 or 5 owners that voted against the rule, the vikings' owner was one of them.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I wasn't very clear with my post. I should have said, why not modify the college OT rules slightly and then implement them into the NFL. Having said that, even the current college rules are much better then the shit going on with NFL OT.

HERP DERP I'M JUST GOING TO MAKE SOME WILD ACCUSATIONS THAT HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO BASIS AND APPLY THEM TO A VAST NUMBER OF PEOPLE (it's like an even more retarded version of stereotyping, awesome!)

So yeah, the vast majority of people I know are more upset AT Favre for losing the fucking game, not some bullshit overtime complaint. You can go on believing some ridiculous lie, though.

I wasn't very clear with my post. I should have said, why not modify the college OT rules slightly and then implement them into the NFL. Having said that, even the current college rules are much better then the shit going on with NFL OT.
yeh that was my bad as well, but I dont see why they dont take a chance on implementing college OT into the NFL. I can see the argument against it, since college kickers for the majority arent very good past 40 yard field goals, while nfl kickers can kick 40 yarders in their sleep. However, if they started at mid field it eliminates that chip shot idea. The rules now are still pretty much the same, except it just forces teams that manage to get a field goal on the first drive are forced to get a stop back on defense.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
HERP DERP I'M JUST GOING TO MAKE SOME WILD ACCUSATIONS THAT HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO BASIS AND APPLY THEM TO A VAST NUMBER OF PEOPLE (it's like an even more retarded version of stereotyping, awesome!)

So yeah, the vast majority of people I know are more upset AT Favre for losing the fucking game, not some bullshit overtime complaint. You can go on believing some ridiculous lie, though.
Favre did not lose the game. This is a myth that needs to be debunked right now.

With about 25 seconds to go, Favre was on the New Orleans 38. If Favre gains NO yards, then it is about a 56-57 yard field goal. Now, Longwell is a good kicker, but you cannot expect any kicker to make it from 56 yards out on the road, even in a dome. Now, obviously, he had some yards to run. Let's say Favre gets FIVE yards. Now it's a 51-52 yard field goal. Is it makeable? Yes. But what happens if he misses? The Saints are then at their own 42, with about 12-15 seconds to go (because the play would have taken less time than a 22 yard INT return), with timeouts to burn.

One 30 yard pass - from one of the best passing offenses in football - puts THEM in game winning FG range. And the Saints can conceivably get off two 15-20 yard passes, depending on clock.

Brett Favre needed to get at least 10 yards on that play to give Longwell a reasonable shot at making the FG. He threw it up and the rest is history. But to contend that he singlehandedly lost that game (like he actually DID against the Giants) is an exaggeration.

lol shin you don't know what you are talking about. of the 4 or 5 owners that voted against the rule, the vikings' owner was one of them.
4 against, and I do know one of them was the Vikings, I did find that a bit funny as well.

And yes, I'm entitled to my opinions about how I feel about some old QB that creates nothing but drama over the last how many years over to retire or not. Seriously, just pick an option already dude.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)