Other The Dark Horse Project (ORAS Edition)

Approved by Alexwolf

Credit to ToxicPhox for the art.

Introduction:

Welcome back to the Dark Horse Project! This is the first round for ORAS and it'll be exciting to see who and what makes the Hall of Fame this time around!

The Mission:

For those who weren't around for the last installment, the Dark Horse Project is an experiment per-se, in which players are encouraged and rewarded for playing OU with dark-horse Pokemon - Pokemon that have the ability to to shine in OU, but don't get used because players either have no reason to use them, or don't want to in lieu of more conventional Pokemon. This project aims to increase diversity in the OU metagame, by encouraging the use of good pokemon that are not commonly used. This project also encourages discussion on how Dark Horse Pokemon can be used in the OU metagame, as well as the sharing and distribution of teams that are successful and use unconventional Pokemon.

Rules:

This project aims to recognize and reward users who put in the effort to create a competitively successful team with non-conventional Pokemon. Anyone with a Smogon account has a chance of entering the Hall of Fame for this project. Here are the rules for this project.

• Each team must use, at the very least, TWO Dark Horse Pokemon, though multiple are encouraged. A Dark Horse Pokemon is any pokemon that falls below 3% usage on the previous month's 1825 OU stats. All the other members of your team can be any Pokemon you wish, so long as they do not fall into the uber tier.
  • You must use a NEW Pokemon Showdown! account, and not one with previous laddering points. The team you use can shift, but the Dark Horse Pokemon must remain constant on the account.
  • Switching Dark Horse Pokemon is acceptable, but you must restart with a new account if you do, as well as posting in this thread informing the leaders of the project.
  • Put all changes in your original registration form, as well as sending the leaders of the project a PM. If you do not, then I cannot promise a swift update to your official registration.
  • Do not start laddering until you've registered in this topic.

Registration is not limited to a certain time period only. As long as this project is running, you may register. There will be a post in this thread later to keep track of all participants run by Recreant , so don't worry about your registration getting lost in the sea of discussion.

Fill out this form to register:

Pokemon Showdown! Username:
Prior Hall of Fame Standing:
Current Dark Horse Pokemon:
Explanation of Dark Horse(s)

Remember - the Pokemon Showdown! Username should be something that has no ranking on the OU ladder, so all your points will have been affected by your Dark Horse team, and only your Dark Horse team! Currently the HoF standing should be empty, but when you've entered the Hall of Fame, feel free to update your post with your standing!

Finally, add some insight to why you chose your dark horse in your registration post! Great starting points are discussing why you chose your dark horse(s), what kind of teams they're in, and whether they're the star of the show or the supporters. Explain why your dark horse is the best choice for your team, not just slapped on for the project. You don't have to wait to get into the hall of fame to share your dark horse, do so in your registration post or whenever you want.

Discussion:

While this project gives you a chance to prove your team building and laddering skills, the real point of this thread is to discuss under-rated pokemon, and their niches' in OU. Share your struggles and successes, and discuss your Dark Horse's niche in the OU metagame. This is a place not only to show off warstories/replays/rankings you are proud of, but to also help others achieve their goals! This isn't a competition or a tournament, it's a community project. Here's a basic Do/Do Not listing for those who are wonder what is encouraged, and what is frowned on:

• Do post and share sets for your Dark Horse Pokemon, as well as teammates.
  • Do discuss threats to your Dark Horse, or your team as a whole.
  • Do ask questions (and by extension, answer other's) regarding the current OU metagame and teambuilding.

• Do not post insignificant updates - while it's great you broke your previous record or something similar, it does not encourage discussion. Posts should be thought through and unique.
  • Do not ask people to make teams for you. You may ask for thoughts regarding teammates, and individual sets, but do not ask for people to build a team around your Dark Horse Pokemon for you.
Here are some great questions to start with (taken straight for the LC version):

Hall of Fame

Now here comes the competitive part. Once you've reached a ranking above 1650 Elo on Smogon's competitive OU ladder with your Dark Horse Pokemon, you may enter the Hall of Fame! Once you are eligible, please fill out this registration form, edit it into your original registration post, and also PM the form to me titled Dark Horse HoF:

Pokemon Showdown! Username:
Dark Horse Pokemon:
Screenshot of 1650+ Elo on OU ladder:
Dark Horse Complete Set:
Description of team as a whole.

Even more so than the regular Registration Form, you are highly encouraged to post thoughts, notable replays, warstories, sets and other related information so others can learn from your success! Once you've filled out the form, you'll be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Now, the final catch to this project is: only 1 of each Dark Horse Pokemon is allowed into the Hall of Fame each month. For example, only the challenger who laddered highest with Celebi will be accepted this month; Celebi challengers with lower ladder ratings cannot enter the Hall of Fame until they pass the highest rating for Celebi. The hall of fame will be updated at the end of the month.

Here are the 1825 (no more 1760) usage statistics for April. These will be updated every month.
http://www.smogon.com/stats/2015-03/ou-1825.txt

Remember, dark horses must have less than 3% usage. You should also be aware that using a pokemon with a usage very close to 3% is risky, as it may not remain under 3% for the next months usage statistics. If you achieve hall of fame, and the usage goes above 3% after the fact, it will still count.

Last edited:
Can you provide a link to the post or forum with the usage data? I tried the link and I got a 404 Not Found Error. Also, if we use the usage data from before December, wouldn't that exclude a lot of the new Megas since they weren't technically being used in OU during that time?

EDIT: Can I complain about Lucario having lower usage that almost every blacklisted mon on the OU Viability thread? Freakin' Xatu and Arcanine get more love :(. I'll have to work on restoring his honor after getting reqs

Last edited:
The link to the usage stats aren't working. Also, I think you meant to edit that to say November and not May stats.

Regardless sounds fun! Liked it the last time.

Oh fun! Loved it last time but it sorta vanished when the partner got bit busy as i did, but glad to see someone is giving this a shot!

Sorry! The usage stats link in the OP was working nicely on my computer, I don't know what happened there. It's updated to December
EDIT: I'm also gonna wait for the suspect test to be over before I announce the official start, as Amy said. Makes things a lot more simple

Last edited:

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Is there a total usage percentage that teams must be under, or do any teams with a dark horse qualify? For example, in UU you must have two dark horses AND your team's total usage must fall below 35%.

Also, can you have multiple dark horses on one team, or do you have to pick one even if you have multiple pokemon that qualify?

Is there a total usage percentage that teams must be under, or do any teams with a dark horse qualify? For example, in UU you must have two dark horses AND your team's total usage must fall below 35%.

Also, can you have multiple dark horses on one team, or do you have to pick one even if you have multiple pokemon that qualify?
The more Dark Horses, the better. Your whole team can be Dark Horses if you really want to. For now, have at least 2 per team, just like the UU edition.
And the team's usage percentage doesn't matter on this one. As long as you have two Dark Horses, the rest of your team can be all Lando-Ts for all I care, haha

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Dang, I had a team set up in my head already, only to find that Chesnaught is over the limit by a measly .08%. Back to the drawing board!

Some potentially awesome DH picks:

Jirachi - really pretty great right now, I'm surprised it's so low in usage.

Victini - awesome hard check to Megagross and hits like a truck.

Crawdaunt/Diggersby - HO should have no trouble this round.

Klefki/Azelf - See above comment about HO, although Klefki can fit into other team archetypes as well.

Suicune/Alomomola - both are as good as ever in OU, with Momo also doubling as a decent answer to Megagross (and Greninja, if for some ungodly reason it stays in post suspect).

So HO is looking pretty good in general, as I mentioned. TR is one playstyle that almost always does well in Dark Horse, since most of the best TR sweepers and setters don't see much usage outside their niche.

I have my team more or less mapped out, with one definite DH picked, but I was counting on Chesnaught being under the limit for my second. I'll have to play around to find something that can replace it...

Going by the description, would Darkhorses also include Pokémon that aren't even OU viable due to being outclassed such as Darmanitan and Florges?

Going by the description, would Darkhorses also include Pokémon that aren't even OU viable due to being outclassed such as Darmanitan and Florges?
Let me answer this
The answer is yes. For all I care, you can use Moltres. As long as it's something below 3%, you can use basically anything.

Last edited:
I believe so. In the x and y edition, people were saying their dark horses were mightyena and stuff.
While it is true that the dark horse only has a usage requirement, you have to remember that the goal of the project isn't to show off and beat down a bunch of low ladder players with mons you know are bad. The goal is to find mons that you believe can shine in OU but don't because no one uses it. Sure you can take some trash mon like Mightyena, but unless there's a niche it fills in OU that you think it fills, it defeats the purpose of the project to use it since you're just going to say, "yeah, totally outclassed by X, but darn it if I didn't have some funny fights".

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I personally don't think it should be allowed. If something is bad then it's bad, and we don't need to be encouraging new players to use shit they shouldn't be.

I personally don't think it should be allowed. If something is bad then it's bad, and we don't need to be encouraging new players to use shit they shouldn't be.
Not necessarily. While it is rather obvious that certain 'mon like Florges should not be used, Pokémon that aren't on the viability ranking can still have a niche we've overlooked -- hell, Lanturn went unranked for a long time before someone brought up good sets and niches for it and while of course it's not very high up, it's exactly the sort of Pokémon that this project can promote. In addition, we can easily just ignore the shit teams like we can ignore the shit teams in the normal OU ladder. Enforcing people to use certain Pokémon goes against smogon policy and the entire point of this project.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Not necessarily. While it is rather obvious that certain 'mon like Florges should not be used, Pokémon that aren't on the viability ranking can still have a niche we've overlooked -- hell, Lanturn went unranked for a long time before someone brought up good sets and niches for it and while of course it's not very high up, it's exactly the sort of Pokémon that this project can promote. In addition, we can easily just ignore the shit teams like we can ignore the shit teams in the normal OU ladder. Enforcing people to use certain Pokémon goes against smogon policy and the entire point of this project.
I should have clarified; I was mainly talking about things that have been blacklisted or rejected for analyses.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
Eh, if someone wants to demonstrate that Darmanitan or Donphan or some other blacklisted 'mon actually has a niche, then I'd be interested to see it. If they're just, like, subbing out Chansey for Florges for no good reason other than to place on the Hall of Fame, though, then that's boring.

It's worth mentioning that my one definite Dark Horse is a pokemon that is not listed on the viability rankings at all; it's also something that has a niche that absolutely cannot be replicated. I'll wait until I have my team together to mention which Dark Horse I'm planning on using, though.

So I have a team with 3 dark horsies that I've been using for awhile now. Could I use it for this or must I create a new team?

The purpose of the dark horse project is to show of a mon with potential, but does not get used very often. Not to show off that you can beat people In the 1000 ladder range using a muk.

Nice, it looks like the kinda stuff I usually use on my teams. Since I'm new and haven't participate on the XY project, how exactly I can update my records? Like you said, those types of post should be avoided since they doesn't generate discussion, so I would need to PM you or something?

Most Dark Horse projects require a clean alt, but you should ask Recreant if its okay.

But then again, it only starts until after the Greninja suspect.
I plan to make a new alt but the team I was thinking of using is not new. It has never been showcased anywhere on Smogon so I imagine it will be fine but I decided it was best to err on the side of caution and disclose this.

Nice, it looks like the kinda stuff I usually use on my teams. Since I'm new and haven't participate on the XY project, how exactly I can update my records? Like you said, those types of post should be avoided since they doesn't generate discussion, so I would need to PM you or something?
Yes, PMing me would be the way to go.

Does anyone know when the December usage stats will be released and if they are released can someone post the link?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)