ORAS OU The Cletus Defensive Team

This is the team i use a majority of the time and i decided to do an RMT on it. so here goes nothing.

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator/Shell Armor
Bold Nature
252 hp, 28 def, 228 spdef
Scald
Psyshock
Slack Off
Iron Defense
Slowbro is the cornerstone of my team, checking dangerous pokemon like Mega Charizard X, Mega Altaria, and Mega Metagross all in one pokemon is amazing. Slowbronite is the preferred item of choice because it allows slowbro to invest in spdef while maintaining that defensive prowess that slowbro is known for. However keeping slowbro in it's regular form allows it to act as a one time check to various special attackers and take Mega Metagross's grass knot better. Scald is there to have a spammable stab option. Psyshock is to hit Subcm Keldeos and Conkeldurrs hard. Slack Off is reliable recovery while Iron Defense allows Slowbro to take on physical set up sweepers

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
Adamant Nature
252 hp, 28 def, 228 spe
Wood Hammer
Drain Punch
Spikes
Synthesis
Chesnaught fills many important roles on my team such as a check to breloom that is immune to spore and most dark types, a check to rain teams, a back up check to physical attackers like Excadrill, and the teams spiker. Leftovers is the item used to keep chesnaught healthy. The EV spread used on this chesnaught is to out speed both max speed Azumarril and Rotom-W's trying to speed creep Azumarrils, Adamant is use nature used to OHKO Azumarril after Stealth Rocks. Wood Hammer is used to revenge kill Azumarrils and deal with hippowdons. Drain Punch deals with dark types and ferrothorn while also restoring hp. Spikes allows Chesnaught to take advantage of pokemon that he walls to create residual damage for his grounded switch ins. Synthesis is semi-reliable recovery that can be used to increase its longevity.

Zapdos @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
Modest Nature
252 hp, 60 def, 196 spe
Thunderbolt
Heat Wave
Roost
Thunder Wave
Zapdos is my team's answer to most flying types such as Mega Pinsir and Talonflame. Rocky Helmet is the item i use because it punishes U-Turns from Scizor and Tornadus T. Modest is the nature used to have a high chance to OHKO Ferrothorn with Heat Wave after a layer of spikes, the EV spread is used to outspeed base 80 speed pokemon like Hoopa Unbound and Togekiss while keeping some defense. Thunderbolt is the main offensive move used on Zapdos since it does the most damage. Heat Wave is used to hit Ferrothorn and Scizor with a super effective move aswell as damaging ground types.
Roost is reliable recovery however it becomes weak to ground while roosting. Thunder Wave is used to cripple switch ins that aren't immune to paralysis such as Tyranitar and Heatran.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
Sassy Nature
252 hp, 4 def, 252 spdef
Hydro Pump
Steel Wing
Knock Off
Stealth Rock
Empoleon is my teams main check to fairy types such as Clefable and Mega Diancie as well as being my teams Stealth Rocker. Leftovers is essential to Empoleon since it has no other way of recovering hp which means that it is important to keep Empoleon away from knock off. Defiant is used on empoleon for a similar reason why it is run on Bisharp, to discourage defogs and to take advantage of any unlucky stat drops. Sassy is run because it is the only nature it can run with out reducing any other important stats, the EV's are max hp and spdef to wall fairies better. Hydro Pump is run to take advantage of empoleons decent spa stat and hit heatran for more than scald would. Steel Wing is a weird option but the purpose of using it over flash cannon is to have consistent damage on CM Clefable who could otherwise boost to the point where flash cannon would no longer be an issue, also potentially getting a spa drop from a moonblast could activate defiant and easily 2HKO Clefable. Knock Off is to get rid of items from switch ins like Rotom-W and to have a high chance of OHKO'ing either of the lati's after they switch into stealth rocks, defog you and activate defiant. Stealth Rock is pretty self explanatory, it's also nice having your stealth rock be able to set them up on the most common defogger.

Goodra @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
Sassy Nature
252 hp, 4 atk, 252 spdef
Dragon Tail
Sludge Wave
Draco Meteor
Power Whip
Goodra provides a really useful special defensive resistance that allows it to check Mega Charizard Y, Serperior, Manaphy, and the various special electric types in the tier. Goodra is like empoleon where it lacks recovery options so leftovers is crucial and so is avoiding knock offs. Also like Empoleon Goodra uses a Sassy nature to boost it's spdef while not reducing any of its useful stats. It's EV spread is max hp and spdef to wall special attackers better. Dragon Tail is used to phase pokemon out to either rack up residual damage or prevent a mon from setting up. Sludge Wave is to catch fairies that try to switch in for free. Draco Meteor is used to deal as much damage as possible. Power Whip is used to hit CM RD Manaphy with a super effective attack on it's physical side.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
252 hp, 40 def, 216 spe
Air Slash
Heal Bell
Roost
Defog
Togekiss's main purpose is to wall Tank Chomps, defog, and provide heal bell support and it does a really good job at that. Leftovers and Serene Grace should be able to speak for themselves when it comes to why i use them. Timid and all the speed EV's are use to outspeed jolly Mega Heracross, the rest goes into it's bulk. Air Slash is here to OHKO Heracross and just so happens to have a really tempting 60% chance to flinch an opponent. Heal Bell is to make sure a random Thunderbolt paralysis doesn't completely ruin a game. Roost is for recovery and in conjunction with Heal Bell allows Togekiss to take on Hippowdon easily. Defog removes hazards off the field which is nice since it can easily do it on Garchomp and Hippowdon.

Threats to my team:

Hoopa-Unbound
My only answer to this mon is paralyzing with Zapdos and switching into Chesnaught and attacking from there. Smart switching with Hoopa has the potential to destroy this team.

Manaphy
Plan A for handling manaphy is switching into Goodra and using Draco Meteor then Power Whip. If Goodra dies Plan B is hoping Zapdos outspeeds so it can Thunderbolt or Thunder Wave. If Zapdos is outsped and Ko'd then the game just ends

Mega Sableye
Preventing hazards and spreading burns really hurts my team, it doesn't help that Sableye is usually paired with Skarmory and Chansey.

Gothitelle
Shadow Tag is broken and is pretty much guaranteed to cripple or kill one mon

Last edited:
I understand where you're coming from with the Slowbro set, but I believe that fully Physically Defensive with CM over Iron Defense is almost always the superior choice. The reason being is that while Iron Defense boosts your Defense to absolutely ungodly levels, it doesn't need to be that high. Max Max physical M-Bro takes ~35% from a Scizor's U-turn, which is plenty defensive already, and after 1 CM it has more SpD than your current set. CM also allows it to sweep teams much easier by bolstering its already decent special attack, allowing it to be much more of an offensive threat rather than just a defensive wall. I also don't see any real way for your team to beat M-Sableye, let alone other stall mons, without the SpA boosts provided by CM. And, as an added bonus, CM allows it to beat Tail Glow Manaphys without Energy Ball.

The Spdef on Slowbro is so it is a more consistent check to both Keldeo and Mega Metagross
0 SpA Tough Claws Mega Metagross Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 192-226 (48.7 - 57.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Tough Claws Mega Metagross Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 228 SpD Slowbro: 148-176 (37.5 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Electric vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 236-278 (59.8 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Electric vs. 252 HP / 228 SpD Slowbro: 182-216 (46.1 - 54.8%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

while at the same time not losing too much physical bulk
252+ Atk Mega Scizor U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 134-158 (34 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Mega Scizor U-turn vs. 252 HP / 28+ Def Mega Slowbro: 152-180 (38.5 - 45.6%) -- 10.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

As for Iron Defense, it is there so I don't lose to Mega Charizard X or Mega Altaria after they Dragon Dance a couple of times or most other physical attackers after they set up. Calm mind is a nice move, but mons like Serperior and Manaphy make it a liability

Hello, Welcome to Smogon. I'm going to revise this team as well as I can and will be suggesting new sets and a few replacements to make this effective.

Slowbro (M) @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind

Calm Mind Slowbro retains Physical Bulk, and allows you to to set-up CMs having a reliable win condition. The EV spread is standard and Regenerator is the best base form ability allowing it to act as a pivot. Scald is obvious STAB allowing you to inflict burns on opposition. Psyshock allows you to bypass opposing CM users. Recovery moves are self explanitory and will not be mentioned unless needed to be.

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Atk / 136 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Drain Punch
- Spikes
- Synthesis

For Chesnaught, Azumarril only hits 177 speed or less in this metagame so 56 outspeeds the ones you'll find 98% of the time. I dumped everything not needed in Speed and Atk to confirm a downed Azumarril into HP and Def, hopefully it doesn't miss anything else important.
68 Atk Chesnaught Wood Hammer vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 354-416 (88.2 - 103.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 180 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt / Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Thunder Wave / Hidden Power Ice / Volt Switch / Toxic / Roar

With everything that's physical pretty much countered I suggest making Zapdos mixed defenses. I've suggested some good moves if you want to use any of them or you can keep the same ones.

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

This is a replacement for Empoleon and give you a good fairy heck as well as entry hazard removal and Stealth Rock yourself. It carries Dual STABs and it lets you freely set Stealth Rock on Magic Bouncers if they try to switch in on you because of Mold Breaker.

Goodra (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Earthquake

The standard Assault Vest Set worked best in testing.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Adding this reduces your electric and Ice weakness significantly and walls Set-up Sweepers while providing recovery to members that cannot themselves and protect lets you receive that recovery and scout for choice items. *NOTE: you can change the moves to Moonlight and keep Heal Bell dropping Wish and Protect so you can Thunder Wave Mega Charizard X, or you can drop Heal Bell for this

Replays to prove my point
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-286812562
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-286816522

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)