SM OU The best M-Diancie team - Currently 1824 and I'm bad

This is the best SM OU team I've ever made and probably the best one I've ever played with, so here you are.

Technically the team is built around Rock Polish Diancie. (Rock Polish up in regular form, then Mega-evolve and proceed to clean up). There are certain things that need to be gone before M-Diancie can sweep: Greninja, Scizor, Ferrothorn and Magearna, and certain things that need to be weakened: Landorus, Tapu Lele, Celesteela, Toxapex, M-Venusaur, Tapu Bulu and Tangrowth.

201 Speed Modest Specs Mag outspeeds and kills Ferrothorn, Celesteela and Mega Scizor (and of course Toxapex)
Defensive Z-Lando can take out M-Venusaur, Tapu Bulu and Tangrowth (and of course Toxapex)

Greninja is covered three ways in that AV Conk can always come in on it (also note Mach Punch KOs at about 94%), Scarf Bulu counters it and Kyurem beats it easily.

Magearna can obviously be killed by Lando-T and weakened by Conk and Magnezone, but the main way I end up beating Magearna down is with Kyurem. I know that sounds crazy. But Kyurem can sub up on half the metagame including Landorus, Zapdos, Toxapex, Tangrowth, Tapu Koko, Tapu Bulu etc. and Earth Power does 27-33% to AV Mag, meaning you only need to hit it 3 times during the course of the game for it to be in range of M-Diancie. Meanwhile, Fleur Cannon does not OHKO Kyurem, Flash Cannon only does 54-64% and Iron Head does about 40%, whist if it Volt Switches, Kyurem remains behind a Sub and it has to come in again.

I said this is only technically a team built around M-Diancie because Kyurem is just SO good. It takes on so much of the metagame, including the staples, Greninja, Landorus-T, Zapdos, Toxapex, Tangrowth, Tapu Bulu, Tapu Koko, Heatra and many many more. Plus it works really well under Grassy Terrain and can stall out many things with Pressure if need be, such as M-Venusaur and Mew, who take Ice Beams pretty well. Plus with Sub shenanigans it takes on Trick Room and Rain Offense really well. Did I mention it just doesn't die? Scarf Lele Moonblast doesn't kill it, M-Diancie's Moonblast doesn't kill it. Kartana's Smart Strike doesn't kill it.

Kyurem @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Roost

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Zen Headbutt
- Superpower

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Fly
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Rock Polish

I find it intriguing on how you claim this is the "best M-Diancie team" and yet tack on "I'm bad" afterwards. Gives me a real hoot.

Anyhow, you might wanna do something about Kartanas before your team gets cut in half. Yea, Kyurem can withstand a single hit, but you're not counting on using it as a Kartana wall, are you? And Landog isn't fat version so he'll be getting beat up pretty bad if he attempts to switch in. Scarf especially looks concerning, as although Landog can take him on if Landog has full health, that's unlikely to happen while he's attempting to stop stuff like enemy Landogs.

I would recommend replacing Conkeldurr with Celesteela. It'll yield more consistent results such as providing a shield against enemy Landog and Kartanas. Try this set:

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

I think you'll get better results.

Anyways, hopefully the best M-Diancie team would carry you all the way to #1 on the ladder.

Scarf Kartana is one of the biggest threats to the team along with Specs Lele. None-scarf Kartana however isn't really a threat as it just gives Diancie an excuse to come in and hurt things.

With Scarf Kartana, Landorus-T can be used as a defensive pivot. You're right that if you use your Landorus to take on other Landos then it won't have enough health to pivot in on Kartana. That is why there is a Kyurem on the team. You should ALWAYS be going hard into your Kyurem or your Bulu against an opposing Landorus if there is a Kartana or a Hawlucha on the team as Landorus needs to be healthy for them.

U-turn out and Magnezone can trap it and kill it if it goes for Leaf Blade or Smart Strike. Kyurem gets a free sub if it goes for Leaf Blade against Landorus. It will obviously be forced out against Landorus if it goes for Sacred Sword so U-turn is always the play. (Or Z-Fly to OHKO it if appropriate)
Magnezone can also switch into Kartana if Lando is getting out of the green health as Magnezone can take one Sacred Sword so it's not that risky to switch into Magnezone, as then you can just switch back into Landorus and take a clean 11-14% from -1 Sacred Sword.
Also note that Sacred Sword gives M-Diancie free set up and Earth Power OHKOs Kartana.

The worst case scenario is that Scarf Kartana knocks out Landorus-T with Leaf Blade under Grassy Terrain whilst Magnezone and Kyurem are both dead. In that worst case scenario, Conkeldurr can take a GT Leaf Blade and OHKO with Drain Punch. Also note that Mach Punch does 56-71% anyway to Kartana if Conkeldurr is also weakened.

In any case Kartana can definitely be played around. Basically assume all Kartana's are scarf and play like I just said, and if you find out it's not scarfed then hey nothing to worry about. I'm currently 1804 which is crazy because I'd never been in the 1700s before using this team. I don't think Celesteela is a good idea over Conkeldurr as I'll then have an extra weakness to Koko and Blacephalon, one less check against Greninja and Zygarde and will then have no priority on the team.

Last edited:
I don't normally intentionally upload replays and only did a couple of times when I was really impressed with Kyurem so I will have to upload a few in the next few days to show off M-Diancie and how to set up for a M-Diancie late game, but here's what I found when I searched:

A 6-0 basically all down to Kyurem being untouchable
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-694801233

A battle showing how the threat of Scarf Kartana can be handled over the course of the battle to stop me getting swept#
Note: this was before my Magnezone was 201 speed
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-694801233

A video showing how to whittle Magearna down with Kyurem and how Landorus should be kept healthy to kill set up Hawlucha when it's there
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-690637480

Opponent forfeits because Kyurem behind a sub beats all six of his mons
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-689857422

Hey interesting team, I think Kyurem in general in underexplored in this meta so props for building with it. Would you care to explain a little more what Conk is doing for ya? Is it just a fat strong thing with priority?

Conk was originally on a much earlier rendition of the team that got destroyed by Ash-Greninja (this was before Bulu and Kyurem) and Blacephalon.

Although the team has changed a lot Conk is still the secondary backbone of the team as it 1v1s the following mons: Greninja, Blacephalon, Fleur-Cannonless Magearna, Tapu Koko, AV Tangrowth, Kartana, Kyurem-B, Mamoswine, Zapdos, Heatran, Magnezone, Ferrothorn, Keldeo, Latios and Mega-Lop and Excadrill, and can prevent other powerful mons destroying the team like Charizard Y, Z-Celebrate Victini, Band Victini, Quiver Dance Volcarona, +1 Zygarde and Dancing Landorus, Mega-Dos and Mega-Tar not to mention many of Conk's switch ins - Mew, Toxapex, Clef, Celesteela, Skarm, Fini can be knocked off.

The only draw back of having Conk is that it gives Lele more leeway but it more than earns it's keep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)