ORAS NU That's a Mushy Bear

Hello, and welcome to my first RMT! My Showdown usernames are BiscuitSpartan and BiscuitRoman, and I pretty much play nothing but OU and NU. But anyway, this team I've been using is fairly good and has some potential, but at the same time, I go through stretches where the team just doesn't feel like its all that good, and it needs changes. It's a fair team though, capable at the very least of getting anyone out of the terrible plays and unpredictable treachery of the lower ladder.

The team features a Focus Sash Smeargle, Choice Specs Aurorus, PhysDef Colbur Musharna, wisp-hex Colbur rotom, AV (Assault Vest) max SpDef and Atk Hariyama, and Quick Feet Toxic Orb Ursaring, the only shiny on the team, also affectionately named "The Janitor". I'm not the best teambuilder, but I'd assume this is considered a balanced team. Beforehand, I'd also like to thank quziel for coming up with the essential idea, and really being the guy with the knowledge regarding how to build this team. Without further ado, here is the team! Along with the set will be my analysis (albeit probably not too in-depth) about the roles and uses of every mon. I'm fairly new to this, so if I'm not as accurate as I can be on a few of these roles, EVs, etc. just feel free to correct me and help me by posting below, I'll edit this as needed to help other people who may want to use this team!

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Spore

Really, the point of this mon is just hazards and to put things to sleep. This is generally the lead of choice for this team, but I personally like to keep it alive if it can set hazards or not early game. This is just because it can be used as death fodder, or it can put things to sleep late game as needed, as that's given me free switches to Ursaring and others before. When hazard control is knocked out also, smeargle can be switched in due to sash, or with a volt switch from Rotom to set these hazards up permanently. Sticky webs help out Aurorus a ton, because we're running Modest on it as the additional speed from Timid nature doesn't really help it out a ton.U-Turn can just simply bring in momentum, and make sure this thing stays alive. Also, as previously mentioned, it can be used on a sleeping mon to bring in Ursaring.

Aurorus @ Choice Specs
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Psychic

Albeit slow, Aurorus packs some pure special attacking POWER with Choice Specs, with 489 SpAtk from the 252 SpA EVs, plus Modest nature, plus Specs. Hyper voice is there for pure power, brought up to base 117 from the Refrigerate boost. This can be used on bulkier mons, bopping even a Thick Fat Miltank if it isn't running SpDef EVs (It is a 2HKO, easy when you factor in Aurorus outspeeding due to possible Sticky Webs). Hyper Voice can also do a decent chunk to standard stealth rock Steelix, so long as it isn't running SpDef, which most don't that I've seen. Freeze-Dry obviously is super effective against water types, meaning that a Poliwrath with no Vacuum wave is done for. Aurorus also lives an Aqua Jet from Samurott barring a Swords Dance Boost, meaning that Samurott also can be knocked out if it lands in possible webs. Earth Power is just a nice, strong move that can nail almost any grounded mon pretty hard on switch in, and Psychic provides additional coverage. Although a much dumber set, I suppose Choice Scarf Aurorus could work if speed is needed, but so much power is lost from switching from Specs to Scarf, I'm not too sure how beneficial that possible change to this mon would be.

Musharna @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Moonlight

Musharna is pretty much an absolute tank. This thing takes a ton of hits with relative ease on switch in, which makes this thing so useful for crippling. Thunder wave is obviously just to slow everything down, and psychic is there simply as a strong-ish stab, but psyshock could also totally take the place of that move. Signal beam allows Musharna to bop Liepard, Shiftry and other dark types and even Mesprit and Kadabra, with Colbur Berry there to make sure Musharna can stay in at least once to nail an unsespecting dark type with a Signal Beam. in the last 20 games I've played with this team, Musharna has gotten a kill or severely crippled or weakened a threat in at least 15 of those games. It just absolutely slaughters Shiftry, it seems, though it almost always has to take a Dark Pulse or Sucker Punch (and sacrifice its Colbur Berry therefore) to do so. Mushy can even switch in on a Tauros once and paralyze it, and even catch Klinklangs that don't run substitute. This thing just really seems to put in work. Synchronize can catch mons trying to cripple Mushy and do the same right back

Rotom @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt

There's a lot of pressure on Rotom for this team, but with good playing, it absolutely can perform everything it needs to. It's our only mon with an Electric type move that can damage, It's the only way this team can burn anything to cripple physical attackers (barring Synchronize from Mushy, and also its Thunder Wave which could be used to cripple as well), the main form of momentum on this team, and one of the only ways outside of The Janitor and Hariyama's Knock Off that this team can really hit a Pyschic or Ghost type. Wisp-Hex is just a really solid set, with Volt Switch as the Electric STAB and form of momentum. Thunderbolt could also very well be run over Shadow Ball, which is what I might prefer myself, even though I haven't done quite enough testing/ Yet again, Colbur Berry lets Rotom stay in on a dark type to cripple it with Wisp, or it can be used to avoid being pursuit trapped on a volt switch. This set could also very well be switched for the typical Scarf-trick set, which I have tested in only a couple games so far, and it doesn't seem to perform as well on this specific team.

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch

Hariyama is the hard-hitting SpDef wall of the squad. Close Combat is obviously the strong STAB move this thing needs, with Earthquake having the ability to nail Steelix, Rhydon, Lanturn, and Magmortar if they feel safe enough to stay in or switch in. Knock Off is just a really nice move to have, and if a Mesprit or Xatu thinks it's alright to switch in, that move tells them to think again. Bullet punch is just priority, as it really doesn't do much to a Mega Audino. Fake Out can also be used in place of Bullet Punch, I just haven't even tried that yet. Additionally, I thought it could be fun to change Hariyama's ability from Thick Fat to Guts, taking advantage of someone trying to cripple this monster. However, Thick Fat helps a ton in walling attacks, so the best ability for this particular role is quite likely Thick Fat.

And finally, my favorite pokemon on this squad and the sweeper...

The Janitor (Ursaring) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Crunch

When this team was first made, it was around Toxic Boost Zangoose. There's nothing really wrong with that, and this team used to be "That's a Mushy Zang", but I love Ursaring so much for this role. This is pretty much exclusively because of its additional bulk and superior coverage. Zangoose had priority moves, but Ursaring just seems better to me for this team. The key to this mon for it to be as effective as possible is to weaken most or all of the opponent's team, and/or to switch it in on a Volt Switch/U-turn when Rotom/Smeargle is outsped, or when the opponent is trying to get up late game hazards or set up. Having the Quick Feet as soon as possible really helps Ursaring out. To pretty much guarantee a sweep against a weakened team, get a Swords Dance up. The only way this thing loses is to hard-hitting scarf mons, vacuum wave/mach punch, and toxic stall, and Ursaring takes all three of these things significantly better, in my opinion, than Zangoose does. For those wondering by the way, Jolly Quick Feet Ursaring with max Speed reaches 343 speed upon Toxic Orb activation. This allows Ursaring to outspeed Jolly Pyroar, which is something to take note of. One reason why webs are really important to this team and specifically The Janitor, also, is because the Sticky Web allows Ursaring to outspeed things like Tauros. This thing hits hard, and with a Swords Dance up, some serious plays need to be made by the opponent to avoid a sweep, which is why I absolutely love this thing.​

Threats

Like every team, this squad can be challenged by a host of mons, but good play can prevent a loss! This team seems really badly threatened by Kangaskhan, Jynx, Klinklang, and Samurott and Tauros if the team is badly crippled and/or lacking webs. Malamar is also a mon that has the potential to sweep if Musharna is gone, and it may require one to sack off a mon like Smeargle to safely switch Musharna in to knock it out. It's always important to keep either Hariyama or The Janitor around at all times, because they seem to check a lot of the the threats this team deals with. This team also really seems to have pretty good synergy, and perhaps its just me, but I feel like sometimes this team can get absolutely exposed if things don't go well early game.

So, thanks for reading! Any and all constructive criticism would be listened to and very much appreciated! This team definitely will get any player out of the low ladder and at least to players that will challenge you! I'm no ladder hero, but this team is fun and seems pretty good most of the time. Write away, I'll make sure to update this as needed, and I'll for sure take into consideration any and all criticism I receive. I'm sure these will get better as well, as this is my first time, so I apologize for any and all errors in the analyses!
-BiscuitSpartan/BiscuitRoman

Last edited:

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi dude, pretty decent take on sticky webs offense. Ursaring is a pokemon that people tend to sleep on which I dont get since webs made it slightly more viable. Anyway, here are some suggestions for improving the team
- first off on Smeargle I think there's merit in trying Nuzzle over Spore, It's a decent option for catching Xatu off guard and can make for an easier time setting up webs or u-turning out since most people play around the threat of spore.
<
- Up next I recommend switching Musharna for offensive colbur berry mesprit. The main reason for this is that Mesprit plays better to the offensive nature of your team and with a set of Psyshock / Signal Beam / Ice beam / Healing Wish you cover a lot of ground offensively and keep some valuable utility in Healing Wish which is nice for bringing back Aurorus or Ursaring back to full.
- Finally You might want to try Stone Edge > Bullet Punch on Hariyama since it gives you another way to punish defoggers like Mantine and Pelipper and the priority isn't too valuable on a team like this.

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Signal Beam
- Healing Wish

That's about all I have, solid team overall and good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)