Team Yu Yu Hakusho (OU RMT)

Update: This team just recently got a MAJOR overhaul in spreads, attacks, and roles in general. Plus, I wanted to take the opportunity to update the pictures and overall presentation of the page. Enjoy for awhile.

Team Urameshi

Well, this team has had a long history and several replacements, but the original idea centered around Altaria. Yu Yu Hakusho is by far my favorite Anime, and the second I captured a Swablu, the nickname had to be Puu.

Just look at these two...

The Pokedex even mentions Swablu being used as a "Cotton-Fluff Hat." Anyway, long story short, I wanted a competitive OU team that featured Pokemon based in character from the show. Puu has since been replaced due to the sheer necessity of adaptability, but the team itself remains strong.

Yusuke

"And this one's for me, just for pissing me off!"

Item: Choice Band
Ability: Guts
EVs: 130 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Ice Punch
- Close Combat
- Payback
- Thunder Punch

Character: Though he has access to his trademark Spirit Gun (Rei gun for you Japanese purists.) Yusuke's preferred method of victory is a flurry of punches and maybe a few broken ribs. The Shiny sprite even goes well with his green jumpsuit. Just like a true lead, Yusuke often barrels in without thinking, and like my lead here, often takes a few hits, but doesn't go down completely.

How it's doing: I've had luck with Choice Band leads, and this one is no different. He usually takes out the first Pokemon easily, making it easy to bring in a new player on the switch. The downside is the obvious lock of an attack due to the Band, and disappointingly, not much is OHKOed on the first hit. Machamp can come back later on, and gets a decent amount of KOs, but he just seems to be taking so much damage in the meantime, worse if I need to switch to reset an attack. It's frustrating to be against a Dragon or something when Ice Punch is right there. This has led me to contemplate Choice Scarf or Life Orb, but for now he gets the wins and hangs on long enough to come back later, though with less health. I've also considered adding Earthquake or Stone Edge for more pure power over coverage.

Moveset: Close Combat was chosen over Dynamic Punch for reasons I'll get to in the next section. With a Band, Machamp needs to switch out often anyway so the Stat drops are reset often. Payback is for Ghost types mosty, but I've found it hits some other Pokemon hard too. Ice Punch fills in well for Aerodactyl and Gliscor leads (they do exist) and rounds out the coverage. Thunder Punch is a filler for now. I guess it could hit Skarmory, but all in all this is the move slot that would get Earthquake or Stone Edge should I choose to include it.

Item/Ability/EVs/Nature: As I said before, I have had a good experience with Choice Band leads, most prominently an Offensive Hipowdon. Machamp has more Attack, and similar coverage, so it starts on an offensive foot right out of the gate. I can tell you though that Machamp is no Hipowdon, and Payback is certainly not Crunch. All in all, I'm looking for more opportunity to OHKO more, and take damage less. It is nice not to worry too much about being Tricked though. Guts was chosen as the ability as Rotom is bound to Will o Wisp Machamp if I'm forced to switch him in and use Payback (or if he's just the last one standing.) I have plenty of Status Absorbers on the team, and the ability for an attack to miss Machamp is certainly welcome. Max Attack EVs were obvious, but I added a bit more in Speed to help deal with Skarmory. Those will go back into HP if Thunder Punch is replaced, as Machamp isn't going to like Brave Bird. Adamant Nature is to get the most out of Machamp's Attack stat while losing nothing in Special Attack. You'll soon see that it's a common Nature on this team.

Kuwabara

"...if we do our duty we don't have regrets..."

Item: Iron Plate
Ability: Technician
EVs:
40 HP/ 252 Atk / 216 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
-
Brick Break

Character:
If given the choice, I see Marowak as the best avatar for Kuwabara. Scizor though can take some tough hits, and still hit back just as hard. Brick Break mimics Kuwabara's Dimension Sword and its ability to break territories, and at least I can get an attack with "Sword" in its name. At the core though, this guy goes in with little fear and does the damage he can while he's still around. If that isn't true to Kuwabara, what is?

How it's Doing: I have few complaints about this guy, except that I never seem to get him out on what can do the most damage. Maybe I shouldn't save him so long, but he's usually one of the last guys on the field. It can get a pretty rough match going with Breloom though. I tried Jolly with Superpower over Brick Break, but in the end Brick Break won out. Luckily I haven't encountered many Magnezone yet. He is severely vulnerable to being Tricked. I kind of wish he lasted a bit longer, but man does Scizor do damage while he's around.

Moveset: I can think of no good reason not to run Bullet Punch on a Technician Scizor, Ever. Priority is wonderful, and it gets a boosted STAB that has saved him many times. Swords Dance is something I use when I get the chance, and luckily Scizor takes hits well enough that I almost always get at least one. I try and save it though, as it gives the game away that I'm not Banded. Roost increases longevity, and has proven invaluable in Stall wars, especially when Toxic Spikes were involved. Superpower with a Jolly nature could in theory take out Magnezone, but busting Screens has helped me many times, and I don't like the stat drops and low accuracy.

Item/Ability/EVs/Nature: As long as I don't Swords Dance, Iron Plate bluffing a Choice Band leads to some fun times, though in the long run Leftovers may be a better investment. I saw no reason to run Swarm without Bug Bite or U-Turn, and Technician brings out Bullet Punch's full potential. The EVs were suggested by TheValkyries, but that was with emphasis on Magnezone control. A different spread might be needed with Adamant/Brick Break. Adamant keeps the damage at the maximum, though Jolly was considered.

Kurama

"Come on, you believe in mercy, don't you?" "No."

Item: Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
- Substitute
- Spore
- Stone Edge
-
Focus Punch

Character: I'll be honest, I REALLY wanted a Roserade for Kurama, but the standard Breloom fit into this team like a glove. Kurama is a Plant based fighter, but he never attacks head on. He manipulates, and assesses the situation before moving on for an (often grotesque) defeat. Breloom also makes sure she has an advantage before going in for the attack. Also like Kurama, if you're not prepared (and often if you are) Breloom will tear holes through your entire offense.

How it's Doing: I had a blast when I started using this guy, but now everyone seems to have a way to deal with him. Spore can only incapacitate one opponent, and often my Subs are broken before I get a chance to Focus Punch. Oddly, this guy seems to be excelling against other Brelooms. Maybe I just can't find a way to switch in and get set up, but once at that point, you bet I can dish out some damage.

Moveset: Mostly standard, but always effective, Spore is a perfectly accurate Sleep inducer that I'd be crazy to leave off. Substitute not only provides basic protection, but is perfectly used as a guard in powering up a Focus Punch. I kind of miss Grass coverage but Stone Edge has proven invaluable, as it hits other Brelooms harder then Focus Punch giving me the edge in a Stall War. It also, obviously, hits anything else weak to Rock, and gives me at least one move that can affect Ghosts.

Item/Ability/EVs/Nature: Toxic Orb works well with Poison Heal, keeping the Substitutes ready and available, but it makes me feel bad to give up on such a useful ability like Effect Spore. Still, why am I complaining, it's that combo that makes Breloom a wall. EVs came from Smogon and are standard for SubPuncher Breloom. Adamant was once again chosen as the Nature of choice.

Hiei

"I only came to find the source of that foul noise, and kill it."

Item: Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs:
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Nature: Modest
- Fire Blast.
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
-
Explosion

Character: It's a Steel and Fire-Type, what better to embody Hiei? Seriously this Pokemon could not be better cast. An immunity to flames, and the fierce ability to crush anything that gets in its way without caring too much about carnage it leaves behind.

How It's Doing: I'm a guy who likes a bit of bulk on his Pokemon, and Heatran is doing that well, but I wish he could hit more. This guy in unfortunately, my biggest answer to Suicune (blowing up) and I just feel he could be better used. He just doesn't get as much done as I'd like, but that may just be because I'm inexperienced with Heatran, and everyone else is experienced in dealing with it.

Moveset: The moveset is a bit odd, as I have a Lead Heatran that isn't my lead. This may be why it's not doing so well. Fire Blast and Earth Power are Heatran's most common attacks, and why shouldn't they be? they work great. Stealth Rock is because I don't have another Pokemon on the team that carries it, and I don't get it up that often. Heatran sets up, then dies before dishing out real punishment. Explosion finishes off the set, and it does major damage, but it's a shame to see Heatran go out this way. Dragon Claw and Hidden Power are being considered.

Item/Ability/EVs/Nature: Shucca Berry is being used for now, but I've found it doesn't make much of a difference. I'm thinking of changing up to a ScarfTran (a fan bonus considering Hiei's speed) but that leaves Stealth Rock an even less viable option. The EVs max out Heatran's Speed and Special Attack, but if there's a bulkier spread that works just as well I'm open to it. Modest boosts the Special Attack boost even higher.

Genkai

"Gladly you patronizing jackass."

Item: Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs:
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam

Character: Ok, so this one is a little weird, but the Shiny version is pink to match Genkai's hair! Aside from getting a nice pun on "Spirit Wave," Genkai is also a healer, able to regenerate herself into a younger form, making both Natural Cure and Recover appropriate. Obviously, she also can kick major ass with a variety of specialized techniques, and blow away traps and hazards, all things that Starmie excels at.

How It's Doing: I have gone through so many changes with this Starmie build, and I have yet to find one that truly works for me. Rapid Spin doesn't do much, but is pretty important when it comes to helping the last member of my team. This set goes for more recovery, as I find Starmie has to counter so many threats, it's overused throughout the course of the battle, and while Starmie is fast and packs a punch, it's not a Pokemon that can stay in for the long haul. I've even tried a Wide Lens set using Blizzard, Thunderbolt, and Hydro Pump. If there's any such thing as a Bulky Starmie, it would really be nice to have right now.

Moveset: I tried to find a suitable slot for Recover on this list, but without Toxic Spikes or a weather hazard, there's no reason to stall. It allows for switches and set up more then anything, though I'm still open to a way to work it in, possibly over Hydro Pump, as I have plenty of Ground attacks to deal with Fire Types.
Hydro Pump was chosen over Surf, and though I like Surf's accuracy more, Hydro Pump has more reliable KOs when it does hit. Rapid Spin assists my final member the most, but in general, it's just good for keeping hazards out of the way. The other two moves provide excellent BoltBeam coverage.

Item/Ability/EVs/Nature: Let me be clear about one thing. I hate Life Orb. I can't stand recoil moves in general, I prefer things to stick around. Starmie needs to be versatile, so a Scarf or Specs is also out of the question, which is a shame as I like the Specs version. I just settled on Leftovers for added bulk, though Expert Belt was in the back of my mind. Timid gets Starmie's Speed to the absolute Max, along with full EVs, and a full investment in Special Attack to hit hardest. All in all, this one is the toughest Pokemon to find the set that works best with my playing style.

Oliver

(Formerly Altaria (Puu))

Ability: Inner Focus
EVs:
252 HP / 52 Atk./ 204 Spe
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Earthquake

Character: If I wasn't so darn paranoid about Salamence going to Ubers, he's be in this slot, as the color scheme makes a great Koenma. The other Dragon suited to take up Altaria's spot was Dragonite, which I nickname Oliver by tradition.

How It's Doing: Oh, so much better then Altaria. Inner Focus is wonderful for absorbing Fake-Out, and FlinchHax Jirachi and Togekiss. If you don't kill this thing in one hit, you aren't likely to. Roost provides welcome recovery, and gets rid of Dragonite's one annoying flaw in its Flying-Type, though that does come in handy to counter Earthquake and Spikes/Toxic Spikes. Mostly, I just like the fact that he actually stays around for more then a turn.

Moveset: Roost is a wonderful form of Recovery on Dragonite, and I've managed to stall a bit with him. Dragon Dance, if I can get one in (and man I try to) is a welcome double stat boost that all players are familiar with. Dragon Claw is the main STAB, though I've considered Outrage for the pure massive attack power the move has. Earthquake rounds off coverage nicely, without resorting to a Special Attack in Fire Blast.

Item/Ability/EVs/Nature: As much as I use it, Leftovers really is the best Item here to keep Dragonite versatile, and easy to set up. Inner Focus is my only choice for an ability, but I am far from complaining. That alone has won me matches. The EVs max out HP while outspeeding most of Dragonite's main threats. The rest went into Attack. Adamant is once again, my Nature of choice for a Physical Attacker.

So is that all? Hardly! As proud as I am so far, this team really hasn't been doing well, and I don't think it's just me not used to the OU environment. Now that the whole page is updated, I'm looking forward to some new advice, critiques, and options to test. I'll probably put some effort into a Threat List when I really figure out what this team can handle and what it can't. Just some advice for raters, my play style hopes to stick around as long as it can, so please give advice on the bulky side, not just pure power or speed. Starmie, Heatran, and to an extent, Machamp, are the toughest nuts to crack right now, and I would be interested in Grass coverage somewhere. Thank you all in advance. Hopefully, this team is a little easier to rate and look at now.

Altaria doesn't want the adamant nature, instead use a Naive/Hasty nature. Also, pump some attack eves into special attack. Drop the iron plate on Scizor for life orb. You have roost to heal off the damage from life orb.

Update: Rotom's moveset was changed, as I was noticing a huge disadvantage against Infernape. Altaria's nature has changed from Adamant to Naive, and I'm testing Life Orb on Scizor to see if the recoil is manageable. I'm still looking for advice on Heatran, and a better EV spread for Altaria.

Hey I got your message, do you really like the old name more? :( That was my last change. Anyways, I'm itching to describe to you the numerous problems Altaria is going to have in OU, but you obviously don't want to hear that. Please just 252/252 it for atk and spe, throwing the extra in HP, because unless you can find something he narrowly misses killin/outspeeding etc., I don't think a precise spread is necessary- even most mence users 252/252 theirs.

This team doesn't really even need toxic spikes. They're used on offensive teams more for things like Subpetaya Empoleon or Kingdra. Also, I don't understand why reading that altaria like spikes prompted you to run toxic spikes, something completely different... But regardless, yeah let's change that. if you read the lastest smog, you saw that scarf Roserade + Heatran work well together- why not try that Rose?

The way you worded you intro made this sound like you were going to use this for wifi. I'm not sure if this is the case, but Rotom can't be used on it. Without the toxic spikes, you are now suddenly free to use non ghost pokemon. Well, thats swell, because this team is weak to Infernape, and I think Starmie would work for you in that slot. This could be your spinner, allowing you to free up Donphan's spot. This team doesn't like ScarfTaror Lucario either, so I tihnk gliscor would do well in that spot as a ground type replacement.

That's all I got, hope it helped.

You're absolutely right. After getting rid of Toxic Spikes the team became much more straightforward.

Gliscor is something I'll try out, but after the change in Roserade, I wanted a new lead, and found a great one in Machamp.

Not only does it cover well, but it provides a check against the threats you mentioned (as a bonus, he's completely in character.)

Earth coverage was placed elsewhere by putting Earthquake on Altaria.

If your not running Fire blast on Altaria go with a jolly nature. Also, machamp only needs to go last for payback to do double damage, not for someone to attack it. And machamp will go last . So replace it with fire punch.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Alrighty let us see here.

Machamp really wants Payback over Fire Punch, as Payback is a great way to get rid of the common Fighting resists and immunities in OU.

Personally, I would run a Jolly Nature on Scizor with an EV spread of 40 HP/ 252 Attack / 216 Speed, and use Superpower over Brick Break. With the Iron Plate it's really easy to bluff CBScizor, which baits Magnezone's like crazy. By running Jolly, you are able to outspeed all Magnezone bar Scarf sets and OHKO with a well placed Superpower. 224 Speed could be used to get the Jump on DDTar, but that's so situational it really doesn't matter.

I notice a semi F/W/G core going on, but the Roserade seems really out of place. Machamp and Heatran already have some lead synergy going on, and having a lead set for Roserade in the middle of nowhere not really doing anything is a little odd. Breloom could work better in that spot. I'm thinking the standard Spore Puncher set.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb (Poison Heal)
-Spore
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Stone Edge

Breloom does Sleep better than Roserade can and also tears open holes in unprepared teams. And even for prepared ones, he's going to be vastly annoying. Stone Edge over Seed Bomb for perfect coverage and less of a chance to be walled by all flying types.

For Starmie, you'd be much better off running power over bulk, so I'd switch him over to 4 HP/ 252 SpA / 252 Spe carrying a Life Orb with Rapid Spin, Thunder Bolt, Ice Beam, and Hydro Pump (The extra power is needed to OHKO Gengar in case it tries to spin block). This way he can come out, spin the rocks and start causing trouble for the opponent.

As for Altaria... Even Dragonite would be better, but it's obvious you chose him for character rather than use, so I'll let him off the hook.

I would suggest changing altaria's moveset to be a bit more defensive:

Ability: Natural Cure
EVs:
252 HP / 208 Sp. Def./ 48 Spe
Nature: Careful
- Dragon Claw
- Heal Bell
- Roost
-
Toxic/Roar

Now, Salamence does'nt really outclass you. It also works as a cleric, and a phazer(if you have roar). The 48 evs, are to out speed suicune, so it can roost, through its ice beam.

On Scizor, run 0 or 4 Speed EVs, and chuck all the EVs into HP, and leftovers into SpD. Also run Brick Break over Super Power, otherwise things will just revenge kill you easy peasy. Also Iron Plate is pretty terrible, run either LO or Lefties.

Also your current Altaria is 100% outclassed by Salamence, however you could always use a bulky Dragon Dance Dragonite who works really well too. As a competitive team, Dragonite is outclassing Altaria.

Oh my Lord Thank You! A new set to try out, and it's working well in testing. It's lasting longer, and is actually dishing out some punishment. I can't thank you enough really, but I'll get a full description done when it's fully tested.

I've also tested the Breloom suggestion, and it's so cheap it's fun, but all in all, it and Roserade are doing about the same, so I'm still testing them both. As it is, I'm having a surprisingly tough time with Gyarados. Belroom isn't really enough, and I can't help but feel that Machamp isn't quite pulling his weight either.

Shizzle, in my experience, there is one very good reason to run Iron Plate, it bluffs a Choice Band, something neither LO or Lefties can do. I see your point, but it's working for me so far. I'm still testing Brick Break vs. Superpower, and I have to admit I'm leaning towards Brick Break, but a good number of matches will be needed to be sure.

Any calculated reasons why to use those EV spreads? Just wondering

Be careful of SalaZone, even more if Heatran have lost few hps or if his shuca berry have been used. Magnescarf rape scizor, your only counter to DDmence, which ohko all your pokes with Outrage/Earthquake.
Roserade doesn't manage to outspeed him with a boost, even with scarf.
Maybe you can put Jirascarf on Roserade, if you don't want to change the synergy with heatran maybe you can try Celebi scarf with 252 sup but It's a bit gimmick set though (if I understood the definition).
You can change your scizor item to Shed shell but he'll lost power.

Here's a starmie set that I made up that combines a rapid spinner and three attacker without sacrificing longevity. This set isn't the BEST there is, but I think that you might like it.

Starmie@wide lens
252SpAtk/252Spe/4HP
Natural Cure
Timid
~Rapid spin
~Hydro Pump
~Thunder
~Blizzard

Most people don't know that starmie has two options for bolt beam coverage, and those that do often don't abuse it. With a wide lens, you're only missing about 10% of the time, with an increased chance for a paralysis on thunder. All things aside, it only loses a few points of damage off of the 3 95 power attacks with a life orb, but doesn't have that irritating recoil. Enjoy!

A fascinating idea. I've tested it, and I have to tell you, this is fun, but oh so risky. The moves still miss at critical areas, but it still works better then Stone Edge, whose accuracy has cost me wins on several occasions. Still testing to see if it's worth the trouble, but I love catching Hail and Rain teams off guard.

Update: Oh man you are awesome, the set is working wonderfully. Now I just need to find that perfect niche for Altaria (unlikely) and I think the team is set in stone.

Ok, maybe it's just me playing like an idiot, but after doing well for quite awhile, I was thoroughly trounced, and I'd like a few suggestions.

First thing I'm noticing is a severe weakness to Lucario, who kills most of the team in one hit. Salamence and Outrage do the same thing. If you have advice on better switch ins please tell me, cause I'm losing on average three Pokemon before I get the match back under control.

None of these guys are really taking hits like they should, which wouldn't be a problem if I could actually outspeed anything. Breloom, which was fun to play, just isn't getting in, and is hit too hard to keep a Substitute up.

Starmie is another constant pain in my side, with great coverage and speed that usually runs through half my team!

I am willing to fold on Altaria, who is kind of outclassed (understatement), but with Salamance on the fence, I'd rather not play something that has to be changed soon (shame, as his color scheme makes a great Koenma. Anything that works synergy-wise would be appreciated.

Heatran is also getting schooled. Again, maybe I just suck on the switching game, but nothing is lasting as long as long into the match as I need it to.

The only thing SDLuke can set up on effectively is Altaria. Replacement with this Dragonite set would work, meaning he cannot set up on anything. Dragonite is a great sweeper, able to shred the game open after things have been weakened, and Leftovers can help it beat/do better against stall while it sets up DD.
[Dragon Dance Analysis]
Dragonite @ Leftovers
Adamant - Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 204 Spe
Moves:
~ Dragon Dance
~ Dragon Claw
~ Earthquake
~ Roost

Thanks Shizzle. I was also wondering if your Lead Scizor might be a good option on the team, since I like the moveset anyway all I have to do is change the stats. Do you think that would work?

Fire Blast / EQ over Heal Bell on Altaria for sure. Since otherwise you are completely walled by any Steel type, and both of those hit most steels for Super Effective damage.

Team layout is completely revamped, and in the interest of competition *sniff* Altaria has been updated to an appropriate equivalent. Hopefully the increased level of detail will help me get some more specific advice for updates.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi got your PM

There is not much to say really although I don't like how your Machamp loses to many leads. If the lead has a sash (such as Roserade and Azelf) then your lose since they outspeed and @KO you. I would really prefer that you gave Mahcamp a Lum Berry and Bullet Punch over Thunder Punhc while Dynamic Punch over Close Combat with No Guard. You gain the ability to have priority and the freedom to switch attacks which I feel is better since you stated that you really wished on certain occasions to switch attacks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)