Team Partner Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Partner Power

An example of a mutualistic relationship in which both animals work together. Like the Ramora and the Shark my team is built on this ancient principle for success.

I made this team primarily to have fun with some of the coolest and lesser utilized OU pokemon or lesser utilized sets. I like to think this team is one of the most inventive i have made. It is extremely fun to play with and uses partner pokemon and the offensive and defensive synergy they have when used together. Although this team features no strict walls it still takes on the majority of threats in OU even though the key with this team is to remain on the offensive so the opponent is the one doing all the walling.

Seeing as this is an offensive team everything has to hit hard and fast or scare the opponent it does this by taking advantage of some unusual / lesser known sets to turn the battle in your favour.

Enough of an introduction i will now explain the intracacies of the team and how the partners work in a mutualistic way to pull off the win.

This team has focus of Toxic Spikes supporting a Kingdra sweep but many of the members take advantage of the poison's sapping powers.

The team at a glance:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Roserade (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Sleep Powder
- Toxic Spikes
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Integral to my team are Toxic Spikes so its crucial i have the best user of them as a lead. My Toxic Spiker of choice is Roserade. It beats a multitude of leads and its powerful Leaf Storm really hurts even those which resist it. Toxic Spikes help so many of the pokemon on my team though most of all they help Kingdra by slowing down Celebi and Swampert as well as others that can be considered psuedo-counters to it. When using Roserade i either use Sleep Powder against what i percieve to be a slower opponent and from there proceed to set up spikes. Sleep Powder incapicitating effect is very useful as it allows my pokemon time to do extra damage or just get in free. Roserade is often able to come in later providing they didnt get SR up and with its sash take a hit and strike back with its powerful Leaf Storm this can be crucial against Gyarados and various other sweepers.

The moveset on Roserade is fairly standard. I chose HP Ground over HP fire as it it hits far more leads Super Effectively and generally has better coverage with Leaf Storm. HP Ground also works well as it does not reduce Roserade's speed IV.

Roserade tends to lose to a few leads particularly Azelf and Scarf Jirachi and so the next pokemon in my team is designed to handle those pokemon and get my SR up. Free of charge and so we have my first partnership in the team: Roserade and her partner Heatran, which makes the perfect counter to both Jirachi and Azelf.

Heatran (M) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Explosion/Dragon Pulse

Heatran is what i like to call my joint lead. With Heatran in conjuction with Roserade i either have Toxic Spikes or SR up within the first few turns of the match. This Heatran is the standard lead set but because it is not a lead the set is unexpected and therefore it can normally cause a few suprises and lose the opponent their Heatran counter as i use Explosion as they Earthquake or Earth Power their ScarfTran, which suprisingly is lured in an awful lot against this Heatran.

Heatran and Roserade were made for each other they have perfect synergy defensively but they also have excellent offensive synergy Toxic Spikes wear down Heatran's grounded Water counters so Heatran can freely fire off powerful Fire Blasts. Not only this Heatran provides my team with an array of crucial resitances to Steel, Dragon and an immunity to fire. It's also my main Scizor counter. Expolsion is a crucial move on this set it serves two distinct purposes. Explosion coupled with a Shuca berry enables Heatran to take out Gyarados and Mence who tend to Earthquake looking for the easy kill. Explosion also serves to take out Blissey who slow my other special sweepers. Fire Blast for STAB and Earth Power to round up the coverage. Note Dragon Pulse can also be used in this slot and it serves a similar if slightly less effective purpose.

The second partnership provides the shock power and immediate offense in the team.

Gengar (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 40 Atk/252 Spd/216 SAtk
Hasty nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Explosion

This Gengar is the epitome of shock offense. Gengar almost always nets a kill each match and is almost always underprepared for by the opponents team. Gengar as well as being offensive provides very important checks to Infernape and Lucario, not only this it also acts as my spin blocker.

The move set is standard on a LO Gengar. Shadow Ball is for STAB and with a LO it 2HKOs the majority of walls. Focus Blast is for coverage but it almost always kills TTar ,who think they can live a hit, provided it hits as 70% should not be relied on. Thunderbolt was chosen over HP Fire as i prefer the neutral coverage it provides and the extra damage it does to Water-types, afterall it still gets a neutral hit on Scizor. Explosion is the key to the set and the partnership, masquerading as a special sweeper Blissey is lured in and promptly dispatched with Explosion, provided Stealth rock is in play, allowing this horror's partner a chance to sweep.

Jolteon (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
- Thunderbolt
- Charge Beam
- Signal Beam/HP Ice/HP Grass
- Shadow Ball

You can clearly see how Jolteon takes advantage of the holes opened up by Gengar. I've used Specs Jolteon as it is also fast and powerful but like Gengar it also serves defensive purposes. Jolteon allows me to work around Thunder Wave which would otherwise cripple my team. Jolteon also serves as a check to many of the faster and fragile OU pokemon crucially it serves as my main +1 Gyarados check. On the defensive side of the scale Jolteon is my switch into electric types icluding Rotom and Zapdos whom it can 2HKO with Tbolt/ Shadow Ball.

The moveset is fairly standard Thunderbolt for STAB and Shadow Ball for coverage as well as to dispatch Rotom. Signal Beam is a useful move for TTar and Celebi although HP Ice or HP Grass could work well in the slot. Finally Baton Pass works well for keeping momentum and identifying ground types

With the opponent sufficently weakened its time for my sweepers to wreak havoc. I have chosen for this partnership two bulky sweepers who are under prepared for in the metagame but also act as counters to many common threats. Once again this partnership works to take down each others counters.

Scizor (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 200 HP/252 Atk/56 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Superpower

Scizor makes up the first part of this partnership. This scizor can stick around for days often achieving +6 using Swords Dance and roost intermittently to heal off damage incurred. Scizor as with most teams is my other Dragon, Ice and "you name it" resist as such it serves an important role taking Outrages from Mence and Flygon and Draco Meteor from Latias. This Scizor beats the majority of walls including Skarmory and Swampert whilst the only walls it really loses to are gyarados unless Scizor is the last alive and Rotom with Will-o'-Wisp or Overheat.

The moveset and EVs are standard. Dont even think about using Brick Break and dont be afraid to use SuperPower due to the defense/attack drop. As you can see Scizor takes advantage of Jolteon and Heatran's presence. The former beats Gyarados, Rotom and Zapdos while the latter often lures in and beats Heatran. Finally this Scizor also lures in other Scizors looking to outspeed it and smacks them with SuperPower. Scizor's infamous Bullet Punch as always serves as an excellent response to many set up Pokemon.

Kingdra (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 184 HP/208 Atk/116 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Waterfall
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance

Kingdra makes the perfect partner to Scizor of course it has that wonderful 4X resist to Fire but not only that as with most of this team they have that offensive synergy Scizor takes out Grasses, bulky Waters and Skarmory whilst Kingdra beats Heatran, Rotom and Gyarados. With the removal of Kingdra's counter it is virtually unstoppable (Toxic Spikes make this even easier). Kingdra like Scizor is a master at getting multiple boosts which is made all the more easy due to its EV spread which enables it to create huge subs. The EV spread also means it works as a fairly good counter to Gyarados as well. Who needs a no. of Dragon Dances to even 2HKO, helpful if Jolteon is out of the picture or if Gyarados is Jolly.

I honestly think Kingdra is the best pokemon in OU if used correctly. My reason for this is that it literally only has 1 counter and that is Skarmory. The only way another pokemon can do significant damage other than Celebi (which should barely be considered as a counter in this team as i have so many answers for it and to make it even easier for Kingdra i have Toxic Spikes) is by being a Dragon-type and therefore it will be outsped and destroyed by an Outrage. Simply put if the opponent doesnt have a Skarmory then you are likely to have an easy time sweeping. The speed EVs ensure you outspeed max speed Latias after a Dragon Dance.

I hope you enjoyed that.

Problems:

Due to my lack of Levitators/Flying-types this team struggles with Scarf Flygon-if anyone can help me solve this issue then that would be great.

Machamp causes big problems as i have nothing that can really take its hits or do enough damgage to beat it. Lead variants with a Lum and Substitute are the worst i definitely have to sacrifce something in that case.

Finally please take your time with your rate.

Em, Scizor doesn't beat Skarmory if I remember rightly, as it can easily Whirlwind you as you set up, Roost off the damage and, as you need +4/6 attack to badly hurt it, it can set up spikes on you as well.

Thankfully Gengar takes care of Blissey nicely, or else I'd say that SkarmBliss, when played cleverly, could give you grief. However, if Gengar dies too early, I can see an issue with this combination, especially Skarmory who loves to phaze both your set up sweepers. Also, as you have few flyers, the spikes it sets up could be really dangerous.

I would recommend replacing Scizor, it has a very useful priority move but Salamence would have some issues switching in and setting up on your team. Only your dual lead's are vulnerable to set up and Salamence has to avoid Heatran's explosion. So I would replace Scizor with another bulky Scizor that Salamence also doesn't want to set up on and that goes some way yo countering Skarmory and Machamp while providing a useful levitation.

I have a Gyarados in mind...

Gyarados @ Lum Berry
Adamant
Intimidate
EVs : 156 Hp / 144 Spe / 116 Def / 92 Atk
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge / Bounce / Earthquake
-Taunt
-Dragon Dance

This is a variation of BulkyGyara, slightly tailored for this team. The Lum Berry allows Gyarados to switch into a Machamp's Dynamic Punch with no issues, as well as switch into Status from Blissey and Togekiss and set up. Intimidate, plus the extra defense EVs mean that Gyarados will be 3HKOed by Dynamic Punch from a 252 Atk, Adamant Machamp and if Roserade has prevented the opponent from setting up Stealth Rock then it can survive switching into the Dynamic Punch and live through the next Stone Edge. I feel this will in general help with the Machamp issue.

As for SkarmBliss, this guy can take them both on easily. It can Taunt both of them to prevent phazing or Status. Thanks to the Lum Berry, it can switch into Blissey's Twave or Toxic and set up. The Lum Berry also helps against Paralysis teams, so you can set up on Togekiss and take Jirachi's Body Slams.

If it uses Bounce it has a very strong STAB to use against most opponents and it helps to badly dent Latias. Crucially though, it allows Gyarados to beat the hell out of it's counter, Celebi. As you use DD, it will switch in to Paralyse you. You can simply absorb it as you DD again, allowing you to OHKO Celebi with Bounce as well as most other pokemon.

It does have similar coverage, admittedly, to Kingdra but it can handle many of the threats that Scizor could. Empoleon could be an issue, but somewhat solved if you choose Earthquake. The only issue is no Leftovers... Sorry :S

As a team player, apart from helping with Machamp and providing an Earthquake switch in for Scarf Flygon, it also works well with Jolteon, giving you many opportunities to switch it in and pick off another member of their team with it's awesome power.

The only main issue I see is that it opens up a DD Tyranitar weakness, as Scizor would have really helped contain it. HOWEVER, DD Tyranitar can only really set up on Jolteon or Heatran (if you switch it out) and Gyarados's Intimidate does give you the edge to finish off Tyranitar with Kingdra.

I am still trying to think on where you could fit in a rock resist, to help with the TTar issue as , even with Scizor, TTar is still highly dangerous, as many carry Babari Berry and your Scizor has quite low attack.

oof, sorry im late school is dumb u___u

I'd also love to see some form of a taunting gyarados implemented on this team over scizor. While you lose a "partnership" in the process, you also gain a much more valuable one in gyarados+kingdra. while this may look strange and redundant, in reality all you're doing is using one to lure and weaken the waters and skarmories while the other can sweep. waters and skarmories actually try to switch into gyarados, which is a huge plus when you're trying to take them out. in addition, kingdra may often have multiple counters on the same team, making it easier for gyarados to break through. in this position, you can easily reverse the partnership and have kingdra make a mess for gyarados to clean up, allowing you to have a positive team matchup against more varied types of teams. pkmn is all about team matchup anyways

the other (smaller) thing id like you to do is change jolteon into a charge beaming lojolt. I know from experience how fun the immediate damage can be, but with your only priority leaving the team, it's probably a better idea to take off the choice item so that less stuff can set up on you. powering through blisseys that have been weakened by toxic spikes is also fun, while having a much more 'win condition-esque' win condition allows you to further have matchup advantage vs. more types of teams. lomamo is rare, but he can be a real bitch if he gets in. taking away his biggest opportunity to do so is a big plus. on teams that rely on hitting hard and keeping the pressure up, any slack in prediction is a huge plus, as well as the ability to let less things set up on you (stuff like latias and swampert in this case).

otherwise, it's a real good team (who the hell are the two guys who 1starred it e_e) and should perform well. give tauntgyara a whirl and you should do even better

Thanks alot for the rates guys.

Tarquin what an absolutely perfect suggestion ill definitely be sure to try it out it solves all my problems and as Stathakis explains allows me to weaken Kingdra counters before pulling off the sweep.

I have found Jolteon to be the weakness of this team as i simply cannot afford to let Flygon and other Grounds to switch in for free.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

Any more help much appreciated.

Good to see some suggestion endorsement :P
If you find Jolteon to be a drag, you could try a LO variant with either HP ice or HO grass to tackle which ground types you hate most, (sub allowing you to scout their most common Jolteon switch in too). i suggest HP ice to nail Flygon and most grounds except Swampert, who Gyara sets up on anyway. Thunderbolt nails waters so Grasses coverage is half redundant anyways. The sup also allows you to commence a good Boltbeam sweep and prevent one of the most common ways of killing Jolteon, revenge killing. The only disadvantage is that it would be awfully fragile, so try sub if it is!

Here is the set in question:

Jolteon @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Jolly
Volt Absorb
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Ice (/Grass) / Signal Beam
-Shadow Ball
-Substitute / Charge Beam (Stathakis suggested it)

Get back to me on how it works out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)