Team DNA Helix (Peaked #1)

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
DNA Helix

.·.·.·.·.·.

.·.·.·.·.·.

Introduction

This is the team I have been using all last month in the ladder with good results, peaking at #1 with a maximum rating of 1503 and defeating some good UU players with it, but with Deoxys-D being banned, it's obviously time to retire it! This team was built at the beginning of March, when my friend SPF asked me if I could play BW UU for a tournament (some kind of Premier League on a Hispanic Community) so I decided to make a new team, as I hadn't played UU for a long time. When deciding what to make a team around, I remember that somebody (I think it was FlareBlitz) said on January how good Special Rain Kingdra was with spikes support. As such, I decided to created an Offensive team based on it. I have had a lot of fun using this team, since I generally like fast-paced games and that's what happens almost always when using this team, as most games end in less than 30 turns.

.·.·.·.·.·.

TeamBuilding Process

First of all, I picked Kingdra, as I said in the introduction, as my main sweeper, and I decided to pick a hazard settler, who helps Kingdra netting many more KO's on Special Walls and Bulky Water types. After looking at the list of possible hazards settlers, I picked Deoxys-D, as its ability of setting up both Spikes and Stealth Rock while preventing foes doing it was too good to pass up.

Then, I obviously needed an spinblocker to avoid my hazards being spun away, and I chose Chandelure, which is without a doubt the best offensive spinblocker in the tier right now. I didn't only add Chandelure for its spinblocking prowess though, something I will explain later.

At this point, I knew I needed a reliable switch-in to Bulky Water and Ground types, so I decided to pick Shaymin, whose bulk and good offensive power were really helpful for the team, while also sporting a great set of resistances.

Sand was (and is) one of the most common playstyles in UU, and, as such, I completely needed a reliable check for Stoutland. As I was really bored of using Rhyperior, I wanted a more original choice, and I decided to add CB Aggron, a not common sight in the UU ladder.

Finally, I wanted a Revenge Killer, secondary late-game sweeper and a Psychic and Ghost type check, so I was sure what would be my choice, one of my favourite BW UU pokemon since I first tried last October, Krookodile, was the perfect fit on the last spot.

After some playtesting, I realized that Aggron was very inconsistent, and while it was really useful on some matches, in others (especially against fast offensive teams) it was just dead weight and ended being used as death fodder. I started considering what could I replace him by, and after seeing some battles on the ladder, I decided to pick Cobalion, as it was still a good Stoutland check, but being faster and with a much better typing.

.·.·.·.·.·.

In Depth

Deoxys-D @ Mental Herb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Night Shade

• Why this pokemon?: Well, why not this pokemon? It was the most broken pokemon in the last UU metagame, and that's why it was banned. I picked this pokemon because it was the only one (sorry crustle) being able to set up both Stealth Rock and Spikes, and it rarely failed at doing so. Aside from that, its ability to taunt opposing hazards settlers is amazing. The item choice may look odd (and it is), but it has prove being really useful to troll opposing Froslass and max speed Mew, as well as not having to risk speed ties with other Deoxys-D. The set is simple, max speed to set up as fast as possible and max Hp to get the best overall bulk, not much to explain, is pretty much standard, lol.
  • Possible Changes: I have run leftovers sometimes to avoid being 2HKOed by Specs Shaymin (assuming no SDef drop) as well as longering a bit Deoxys lifespam, but I have found Mental Herb more useful overall. Thunder Wave is decent over Night Shade, but breaking Raikou's/Chandelure's substitutes is usually better, though it would be really helpful against troublesome pokemon like Weavile, who can give me the blues.

Chandelure (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Pain Split
- Substitute

• Why this pokemon?: I picked Chandelure as I needed an spinblocker, and Chandelure is the best offensive one in UU right now. It's ability to dish incredibly hard hits while still retaining decent bulk are the reasons that make this pokemon one of the biggest threats in the Underused metagame nowadays. The set is pretty straightforward, and I prefer it over choiced ones (Specs is getting a lot of popularity lately) mainly because it really helps when messing up with stall and the common Snorlax. Substitute is a great move on Chandelure, as it helps prediction a lot, blocks status moves from slower foes and allow it to take the maximum advantage of Pain Split. I picked Life Orb over Leftovers because the power gap is really huge, and Chandelure gets a lot of 2HKOs (that it would lose with Leftovers), even more considering the hazards support. For example, with Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes, Milotic is usually 2HKOed by Shadow Ball, something I would not achieve with Leftovers. Speaking of, Chandelure's secondary role on the team is luring Special Walls and Bulky Waters, forcing them to take hazards damage and a powerful STAB move, which usually means they will be too damaged to take on Kingdra later on the game. Finally, the Timid nature allow me to beat neutral nature base 85, as well as at least tying with opposing 80s, like other Chandelure and Togekiss.
    m
  • Possible Changes: I could obviously run Modest nature for that extra power that it's always nice but I don't like losing against opposing Chandelure and such. Energy Ball and Hidden Power Figthing would help against Blastoise and bulky waters, as well as letting me hit Snorlax and Porygon2, but I really like the set as it is. I don't like choiced Chandelure much since I have found Pain Split and Substitute great moves on a pokemon like this.

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Seed Flare
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Psychic
- Earth Power
- Rest

• Why this pokemon?: Look at it, it's so cute <3 Ok, I picked Shaymin over other Grass-types because of a few reasons. First of all, it's the best pure grass-type in the UU tier imo, and I really needed a pure grass type because of that Ground resistance that no other member of my team sports. Secondly, it has a really great bulk with 100/100/100 defenses, which allows it to take on troublesome opponents like Flygon, Krookodile or Sharpedo, something that other Grass-types like Roserade can't even think of. Finally, the secondary effect of Seed Flare lets it beat most special walls, and that works even better with hazards. For example, if Snorlax switches in and gets and SDef drop, it's forced to switch out with only ~50% of it's health after taking hazards and Seed Flare damage (which means it won't be able to switch in again on any member of my team with hazards on the field), or if it's decided to stay in, it's KOed the next turn by Seed Flare. All in all, Shaymin is one of the most underrated threats in UU right now, as most people bash it in favour of Roserade (after the Deoxys-D ban it will be even worse for Shaymin probably), however, I really think Shaymin deserves more usage as it's a great mon overall. About the set, is just the standard offensive one, but I picked Hidden Power Ice most of the time, as deffensive Zapdos and Xatu were a big threat for my team, but I often used Psychic because it's shaymin strongest attack against Crobat (oh boy how I hate facing him), Roserade and it hits Heracross hard too.
  • Possible Changes: Air Slash to ensure the KO on Heracross, while still hitting grass types for SE damage, as well as having a cool 30% flinch chance but I usually prefer other attacks. Specs hits harder but being locked on a grass type move is horrible. I could use Leech Seed but it doesn't fit my team really well and I like having semi-reliable recovery and Synthesis doesn't work because shitty sand teams -.-''

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge

• Why this pokemon?: Cobalion is one of my favourite pokemon, but I don't only use it because of that. Its a good switch in to most Special Walls, like Snorlax or Umbreon, and scare them out. Aside from that, Cobalion is an important check to pokemon like Physical Kingdra or Bisharp, which could prove troublesome otherwise. With its great speed, it's a decent check to fast sweepers like LO Zapdos or Zoroark. When thinking about what set should I use on cobalion, I considered using the Calm Mind set, because it beats most common Cobalion counters. However, I decided using Swords Dance at the end because I hate Focus Blast and Gligar and Slowbro weren't huge threats for my team. As opposed to the set suggested on site, I used 3 attacks Cobalion, mainly because I think the 3 attacks are completely needed. Stone Edge is a 100% necessary attack on Cobalion lately, because losing against Chandelure, Zapdos and Victini, all of them being really common, is not worth. Iron Head hits Ghost and Psychic types for decent damage, as well as being Cobalion best shoot against Gligar, which you can beat with a bit of luck on your side. I didn't like Life Orb since Cobalion is supposed to long during the match and as a bulky sweeper, Leftovers is a given to be able to switch in various times on opponents such as Snorlax.
  • Possible Changes: I have considered using X-Scissor a lot of times to hit Slowbro for decent damage, and hit Mew and Psychic types stronger. Lum Berry is another interesting option, as having to switch in on Body Slam can be nefarious for Cobalion, and it would allow Cobalion to beat Mew and Mismagius without worrying about Will-O-Wisp. Air Balloon is another option as it beats Gligar and Flygon I suppose.

Krookodile (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

• Why this pokemon?: Krookodile is one of the most scary (as that picture shows) pokemon in UU when hazards are down, and for a good reason. Moxie is simply an amazing ability, which allows Krookodile to not only be a good revenge killer but a late game sweeper as well. The main reason to choose Krookodile was the necessity of a Psychic / Ghost type pokemon check, as well as a general revenge killer, so Krookodile filled the bill perfectly. Krookodile is pretty important at removing xatu, too, as its mere presence make Deoxys-D cry. However, if I double-switch correctly, I would get a pursuit on Xatu to either KO it or leave it on Night Shade KO range. Krookodile's fast pursuit is also very useful on the removal of pokemon like Azelf or Mismagius, which are very dangerous for my team.
    On most battles, I will try to see what I need to remove to allow Krookodile to sweep, and that's usually pretty easy, as Cobalion lures most Krookodile's checks to weaken them, so even if this team is based around Kingdra, Krookodile is on a lot battles my late game sweeper.
  • Possible Changes: Nothing really, all Krookodile's moves are completely needed, and the item as well. The only thing I could change is the nature, but tying with other Krookodile, as well as outspeeding Jolly Scarf Heracross is too important for this team.

Kingdra (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SAtk / 216 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Rain Dance
- Dragon Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump

• Why this pokemon?: This was the pokemon I built the team around, and I have never looked back really. RD Kingdra is one of the best late-game cleaners in UU, and it's also a good wallbreaker as well, so it means it's mere presence puts pressure to both ofensive and defensive teams.
    While this sets works really good on its own, it just shines with hazard support, as its ''counters'' can't simply switch in without getting OHKOed/2HKOed. This team also ensures that Kingdra will be able to do its job on almost every match, and I just can't count the number of times I have swept thanks to being able to set up rain on a flygon locked on EQ, or because opponent's milotic was killed by chandelure early on the match.
    I don't know what really say about it, we all know how it works I suppose.
  • Possible Changes: Hydro Pump misses piss me off a lot so I considered changing it to surf. However, the ability to 2HKO Snorlax and Umbreon under the rain is too good to pass up imo, so the set hasn't changed since I built the team. I have also considered running more bulk but I'm really paranoid about losing against other Kingdra :S

.·.·.·.·.·.

Ok so this is my team, I would really like to be able to keep using it so I'm hoping to find a replacement for Deoxys (or some way of revamping the team) Thanks for reading and luvdisc/comment if you liked it!

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
UU Offensive Threats

-Aerodactyl: Usually trolled by white herb lol. If it's offensive (never seen anyone though) it can be handled by shaymin and cobalion.
-Ambipom: LO Ambipom can be dangerous if played well but Chandelure and Cobalion are usually decent answers. Deoxys sets up if it lacks taunt.
-Arcanine: Kingdra and Chandelure laugh at it. It can't really switch into nothing safely.
-Azelf: pretty dangerous, especially because it's difficult to know what set it's running. Krookodile can revenge it but it doesn't like taking an U-turn.
-Azumarill: Kingdra and Shaymin are safe switch ins. It can be annoying on the late game because it keeps chandelure and krookodile in check.
-Bisharp: I lol at this. Every member of my team beats it 1on1 really
-Chandelure: Dangerous as I don't have any real switch in... However, it's slower than all my team, and Choice Scarf versions need a lot of prediction.
-Cobalion: Can be a prick sometimes. It doesn't find opportunities to set up (bar Krook locked on Crunch), but Shaymin and Kingdra can take a hit, Chandelure is a decent answer to CM versions and Krookodile can revenge. I can force the tie with Cobalion as well.
-Crobat: Annoying, even more because I lack Flying resist. Chandelure, Kingdra and Cobalion usually take it down.
-Darmanitan: Needs very good prediction and can't come on anything. LO versions are beaten by everything but chandelure.
-Durant: Cobalion is a decent counter and Krookodile can revenge. Iron Head flinches are scary though.
-Eelektross: does anybody actually use this? Chandelure and Shaymin handle it OK I suppose.
-Electivire: lol electivire. I don't have electric attacks so it won't sweep me !
-Escavalier: Chandelure gets a free switch in usually. Cobalion sets up on.
-Flygon: Actually dangerous. Shaymin can switch in on EQ, Cobalion on Outrage and it goes. I need to predict well really :/
-Froslass: Usually trolled by White Herb. Krookodile can kill and cobalion as well, but since sash versions are common nowadays it can be painful to kill
-Gallade: I don't have a proper counter, but Deoxys sets up on, chandelure can revenge, Krook and Cobalion can revenge it unless it has used Bulk Up
-Galvantula: A bit dangerous since I have 0 reliable switch ins. Chandelure and Cobalion can take a hit and KO back, and Krook can revenge
-Golurk: Shaymin beats it 100% of the time. It's too slow to be dangerous.
-Gorebyss: Smash Pass is annoying but it's pretty rare. Has a hard time to set up.
-Heracross: prediction. Chandelure can come on both stabs, cobalion on Stone Edge and etc. SD versions are a HUGE threat, especially if i'm not running Psychic on Shaymin
-Honchkrow: Cobalion beats it with SR down, Krook revenges, Chandelure can play mindgames and etc.
-Houndoom: can only trap chandelure really, and I play very carefully with Chandelure when I see on the preview.
-Kingdra: depends on the version, but Shaymin and Cobalion usually do a good job. Chandelure lures (no pun intended) and 2hkos
-Krookodile: It can sweep me if the op plays correctly. Shaymin is a good answer.
-Lilligant: annoying because of sleep powder, but it doesn't ever run Hp Ground so either Chandelure or Cobalion beat it.
-Machamp: Deoxys sets up, Chandelure can switch in... not much of a threat
-Mew: depends of the set, Stallbreaker is Chandelure's set up bait, Nasty plot can be dangerous if it's not on Krookodile's KO range.
-Mismagius: Krookodile and Cobalion do a fine job.
-Moltres: Krookodile and Cobalion revenge, Chandelure can take a hit, Kingdra as well.
-Nidoking: Shaymin, Cobalion and Krookodile revenge it, but I don't have a real switch in.
-Ninjask: LOL. Just taunt it.
-Omastar: won't set up ever, revenged by Krookodile
-Poliwrath: can be annoying for cobalion and krookodile but it's not much of a threat.
-Porygon-Z: Agility is the only troublesome one. Cobalion is a decent check to boltbeamers. Nasty Plot/Specs are too slow to damage me.
-Raikou: A threat if not handled well. I can pursuit/EQ with Krook and such, but it can can do a number
-Rhyperior: everything 2hkos/Ohkos it so I don't fear it much. No real switch-ins though.
-Rotom-C: Can't touch shaymin.
-Rotom-H: a bit annoying till I know what set it's running. Kingdra is a good switch in but it fears specs t-bolt
-Sceptile: Krook can revenge, Chandelure can take on special versions and Cobalion is decent against Acrobatics set
-Scolipede: Dangerous, usually beaten by cobalion or chandelure
-Scyther: Cobalion revenges it and can take any attack. Not much of an issue.
-Sharpedo: Cobalion can take a hit at 100%, Kingdra and Shaymin can take a hit and KO back.
-Shaymin: Problematic due to its bulk. I need to weaken it to put it on Cobalion's or Krookodile's KO range.
-Sigilyph: Chandelure hards counters it.
-Smeargle: Sub with Chandelure to avoid spore or taunt it.
-Snorlax: Cobalion takes it fine, but I need hazards up if it's on a defensive core with something like Gligar.
-Stoutland: Cobalion and Chandelure make it cry. Shaymin can take a hit and Kingdra can change the weather.
-Suicune: Shaymin scouts the set and generally threatens out/weakens CM versions
-Togekiss: really tough to beat. I don't have a real answer, so I have to hope to not get flinched too much and hit it before it paralyzes.
-Venomoth: fuck this thing, I really hate it, especially if I can't taunt it with Deoxys due to speed ties.
-Victini: Kingdra, Krookodile, Chandelure. I guess you get the point.
-Weavile: one of the biggest threats for the team, without Swords Dance is not much of a problem, but with SD only Shaymin (assuming no Ice Punch) and Kingdra can barely take a hit.
-Yanmega: dangerous, cobalion and chandelure can take a hit.
-Zoroark: it would be a mid threat but most people that use it play pretty bad.

UU Defensive Threats

-Blastoise: annoying because it spins my hazards, but it can't do much otherwise. It's just predicting it correctly since Chandelure can beat it 1on1 if it's at max health
-Bronzong: can be problematic because it walls shaymin and krookodile. Kingdra and
-Claydol: ''lol'' Can only barely switch on cobalion and even then it doesn't do much.
-Clefable: Every member of my team beats clefable 1on1, it's inmune to hazards but I don't care.
-Cresselia: Chandelure set up bait.
-Cryogonal: Good luck spinning xD
-Deoxys-D: heh, not anymore. I used to taunt it with my own Deo-D, Chandelure beats deffensive versions.
-Drapion: Can't set up on anything.
-Dusclops: Chandelure/Shaymin get a free switch
-Dusknoir: the same as above, but it can actually do some damage.
-Empoleon: Only walls kingdra and they usually switch in on Chandelure for some reason (the hell, they don't resist fire -.-)
-Ferroseed: Chandelure, Deoxys and Cobalion set up bait.
-Gligar: Annoying, specially with Sand Veil, but it's not difficult to beat if I play correctly.
-Hippopotas: I hate sand, but Hippo does nothing bar setting it up.
-Hitmontop: Chandelure beats it unless I predict really badly or Fire Blast misses.
-Milotic: lured and killed by chandelure at the start of the game in 95% of the matches. I have to get the hazards up though.
-Nidoqueen: can be difficult to beat due to its bulk. However, Deoxys, Kingdra and Shaymin have an easy time with it. Krookodile can hit it hard but can't directly KO and fears Sheer Force Ice Beam.
-Porygon2: uh, this is serious business. I laugh at Download versions, but Trace users are a huge pain in the ass, which I need to beat with Shaymin+Hazards.
-Quagsire: walls Cobalion and Krookodile and... yeah they do nothing and they switch in on Chandelure for some reason, easy to beat really.
-Qwilfish: can only set up on cobalion, only gives a bit of trouble if paired with Snorlax, but they aren't that hard to beat.
-Registeel: Chandelure and Cobalion destroy it if I can switch them without getting paralyzed.
-Roserade: can't set up on nothing, even Shaymin can kill it unless I have no hazards up. Offensive is another story (fuck sleep powder) but they are easily revenge killed.
-Rotom: Shaymin, Kingdra and Krookodile have no trouble beating it.
-Sableye: Chandelure and Shaymin free switch in. Remember to switch Chandelure attack ivs to 0 to take as less damage as possible from Foul Play though.
-Slowbro: a bit annoying because it can take on Cobalion easily (and Krookodile if locked on Earthquake) but Shaymin, Kingdra and Chandelure beat it with ease. Specs versions are much more threatening since I have no safe switch ins.
-Spiritomb: can't wall anything and is easily koed.
-Swampert: usually lured and killed by chandelure. Deoxys set up bait, and Shaymin gets a free switch. Hazards hurt it a lot so it ends up too low on health to beat Cobalion or Krookodile.
-Tangrowth: Walls Cobalion and Krookodile but I don't really care about it since all the rest of my team shit on it.
-Umbreon: Cobalion lols at it. Can't switch in safely on anything.
-Uxie: Chandelure gets a free sub. Deoxys easily taunts it (nobody uses max Speed Uxie)
-Whimsicott: Shaymin lols at it, only annoys really.
-Xatu: it makes deoxys cry, but if I can double switch to krookodile probably is dead bird. For some reason people seem to use Physically Defensive Xatu, which can take a Crunch (and a boosted Pursuit then obviously) which is a bit more annoying.
-Zapdos: SubRoost is the only threatening one, the most defensive sets can't do anything.

Psychotic

Banned deucer.
That Krookodile pic is so badass.

Anyway, I honestly don't think there is any way that you would be able to replace Deoxys with out sabotaging the team, because of how important hazards are to Krook, and sadly no halfway-viable pokemon is able to stack both Spikes and Stealth Rocks at the same time. You could try Destiny Bond Froslass with Focus Sash to stack Spikes and annoy the other team to no end, but Stealth Rock is probably the more important move. Anyway, cool team and hope you find a replacement.

PS: Luvdisc

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
That Krookodile pic is so badass.

Anyway, I honestly don't think there is any way that you would be able to replace Deoxys with out sabotaging the team, because of how important hazards are to Krook, and sadly no halfway-viable pokemon is able to stack both Spikes and Stealth Rocks at the same time. You could try Destiny Bond Froslass with Focus Sash to stack Spikes and annoy the other team to no end, but Stealth Rock is probably the more important move. Anyway, cool team and hope you find a replacement.

PS: Luvdisc
Thanks for the reply :) Froslass was the first pokemon I considered as a replacement for Deoxys, but Stealth Rock is really important in UU atm, with pokemon like Zapdos or Chandelure being so high on usage.

What I have found being effective as a suicide hazards user is Smeargle, which has worked pretty good for me on this team. Any thoughts?

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Its kinda funny how most good teams last round look so similar. Anyway, nice team, Luvdisc'd.

PS. fuck smeargle.

First, congratulations for your #1 and you great team, DU ;)

Secondly, changes....well, I also think Smeargle can do a good job, because it has SR and Spikes; and Spore, that it would be very useful. It can also have Magic Coat, a good move in your team, because you haven't got Spinner. With Magic Coat, Smeargle can beat Sableye, one of the best Deoxys-D counters.

I also think the Lum Berry would be a good option in Cobalion, because thereby, you can switch in the common Scalds, Body Slams, or you can beat better the Sleep Powder Roserades or WoW Mismagius/Mews/Sableyes.

PD: Luvdisc^^

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Finally tested smeargle and it works way better than I expected ^^ Spore is simply awesome on a team like this so the team is still usable I suppose :D

Lum Berry is interesting on Cobalion but I really like Leftovers since it allows to not be 2HKOed by hits like T-Bolt from defensive Zapdos or random priority attacks, but being able to switch on Snorlax without fearing para is definitely worth trying though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)