SM Doubles OU Team Big Fat Cat Tats

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
or: a Feline Guide to Snorlax setup

Intro

This team started as a rough draft of a silly concept showcase. I first used the first draft of this team in my top 8 seasonal match vs demantoid. I lost the series, but this team won. Since then, I have brought it to multiple seasonal games and Doubles Tour games with a great showing. It originally had Curse Snorlax and Tailwind Mew. I planned to retire this team after the release of Marshadow.

But because I did not wish to reveal what I had brewing in my teambuilder for snake, I ended up bringing this draft plenty of times in the albeit unofficial TF circuit, where it went undefeated 11-0 against good players including stax, shaian, chase, and others. This, alongside getting drafted for snake, really boosted my confidence going into the tour.

In Snake, I learned the concept of using Dual Screens Tapu Koko (shoutouts qsns), allowing me to put a cool spin on this team. I put DS Koko + TR mew + BD Lax, which was also a very nice setup that accelerates the Snorlax win condition at cost of having to be more careful with my HP on Lax and Mew. I brought 3 different iterations of the same team through Snake and SPL, and went 3-0 with the Mew / Lax / Koko / Zygarde core, and inspired other people to bring very similar teams in high level tournaments. (https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7doublesou-349287)

Mew / Snorlax teams in Snake 1 / SPL 9

marilli's team: Zygarde / Mew / Tapu Koko / Tyranitar / Scizor / Snorlax

marilli's team: Mew / Zygarde / Tapu Koko / Gengar / Snorlax / Azumarill

marilli!_!'s team: Zygarde / Mew / Tapu Koko / Kyurem-Black / Metagross / Snorlax

marilli!_!'s team: Snorlax / Mew / Tapu Koko / Zygarde / Kyurem-Black / Scizor

miltankmilk's team: Snorlax / Zygarde / Aegislash / Tapu Koko / Salamence / Mew

The 2 other slots can vary a bit, but this core benefits from a chunky Steel-type for the resistances, and additional setup threat because of the preexisting synergy. It also appreciates something like Aegislash, Kyurem-B, Metagross, etc. that can actually pump out immediate damage from turn 1 without any setup necessary. Here I’ll post the 3rd version of the team, but the similar gist applies for other versions. As a big factor for movesets, I always used Trick Room on Mew with BD Lax, or Tailwind with Curselax in which case I would drop the screens Koko for a more aggressive set to take advantage of the Tailwind mode, and carry more proactive setup sweeper for a tempo Transform target.

Team

Mew @ Mago Berry
Ability: Synchronize
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 28 SpA / 164 SpD
Bold Nature
- Fake Out
- Trick Room
- Transform
- Ice Beam

Mew is the heart of this team. It has nice access to Fake Out which is incredibly useful when you’re trying to find time to set up Tailwind. The double threat of Fake Out and Speed Control puts the opponents in a bind from turn 1: protecting against the Fake Out will give me free setup, but attacking can let me simply Fake Out and use one of my many breakers to get a free KO. Transform is the move that really allows Mew to thrive, and allows Mew to be self-sufficient and exert enough pressure on its own. Transforming into my own setup Pokemon is the most common play and is correct most of the time when it’s available, but learning to spot appropriate Transform targets, especially on the opponent’s field of play, will drastically improve Mew’s versatility. Ice beam is a standard mono-coverage on support Pokemon like Mew, Cresselia, and Porygon2 for its ability to threaten common Pokemon such as Landorus and Salamence.

Nadeko (Zygarde) @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Thousand Waves
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower

One of the two sets I was trying to build around. Thousand Arrows is so weak at -1 but so strong at +1, because most teams do not carry resists to this. This still does not hit breaker status, but being able to lure in intimidators like Landorus and Scrafty and chipping it down to KO range, as well as threatening Mega Gengar and Tyranitar is very important to how this team functions. Arrows is the move you will be spamming most of the time. If your opponent does not have a levitator, use Thousand Waves to trap your opponents and deal massive damage at the same time. For instance, a lot of hard TR teams lack a levitator, and a common gameplan against them is to trap their Scrafty to stop it from pivoting with Intimidate and Fake Out, and win later with Snorlax with the Scrafty removed from play. Extremespeed is priority to an otherwise slow team, and the last slot threatens big damage on Ferrothorn and Snorlax, as well as one-shotting even the bulkiest of Tyranitars in spite of Intimidate support. You almost never click that 4th slot anyways. I believe matt is right in a way, and in a metagame without teamlock DOU needs to use more Choice items.

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 204 Atk / 52 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Fusion Bolt
- Protect
- Ice Beam

The true breaking powerhouse of this team. Moves were far from standard the time I brought it in Week 1 of SPL, but it has now turned into the most popular Kyurem-B set. I wouldn’t quite credit myself for the change, though - the meta change and adaptation to AV Kyubey has turned for a need for a more aggressive Kyurem-B set that threatens Gothitelle and can do its job before Metagross switches in and pressures it out. Ice Beam is a solid STAB, and and Subzero Slammer is one heck of a nuke. Fusion Bolt with Electric Terrain allows me to OHKO Tapu Fini and Volcanion, while the solid defensive typing allows him to be one of my main gameplan against Rain Teams, and other offensive teams, for his ability to immediately threaten big damage and fake an Assault Vest set gives him a pseudo-Follow Me that it can take advantage of by going for the Protect. Take advantage of him against weather teams and Trick Room teams, and use Screens or Fake Out to let him easily take out any Pokemon before inevitably getting hit with some lame super effective move. Kyurem-B gives the team quite a bit of bulk to switch into general attacks, and take rain-boosted Water-type moves.

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Taunt
- Volt Switch

While Tapu Koko usually serves as a standalone attacker and pivot that acts as a speed safety net, this team tries to utilize it as a fast dual screener with utility in Taunt, Volt Switch pivoting, and Electric Surge denying Amoonguss. It is a very straightforward set, though heavily underutilized. Screens help my gameplan by letting my bulky attackers and my setup Pokemon take just about every hit.

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Stomping Tantrum
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Primary attacker and obligatory Steel-type. With Zygarde heavily pressuring the team, Mega Metagross finds a lot of opportunities to set up and clean through weakened teams. But usually, it usually acts as a standalone attacker that can pressure the opponent from many different angles with its coverage, earning free turns for its teammate by forcing the opponent to react to its threat. If Mew can transform into this after Kyurem-B and Zygarde does their job, then we’re in also in some prime position to clean up with 2 Metagross. Iron Head is primary STAB, while Ice Punch and Stomping Tantrum are great coverage moves that let me threaten Pokemon like Landorus-T as well as Aegislash / Volcanion / Gengar-Mega in 1 slot.

Snorlax @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Frustration
- Belly Drum
- Recycle
- Fire Punch

While Snorlax was initially an afterthought, it assumes the star of the show in many matches. Snorlax provides my primary win-condition, where I can set up my Trick Room with a +5 Snorlax, and I transform into the Snorlax for some fat damage. Snorlax also makes my Trick Room matchup pretty exceptional. Standard BD Lax moves, and this gives me the power to blast through opposing Curselax, Cresselia, and other BS. Alternatively, Snorlax was a Pokemon that could easily patch up any defensive holes. In the process of Drumming up or switching into damage, you usually end up shedding your Berry which is very helpful vs. checking Knock Off Landorus. Thanks to his obscene bulk, you could even afford to switch in and take damage, only to recover it off and set up later in the game anyways.

Conclusion

With the Snorlax ban I probably missed the optimal time to post this, but I thought it’s a pretty big shame to not have any post-Marshadow Snorlax meta RMTs posted for posterity. And the better reason is that I didn’t want to do a full team dump so I decided I might as well post this instead now that SPL is over.

As for this SPL I hate being a one-trick pony but this SPL obviously didn’t work out too great as individual performance goes. Regrettably, I ended up falling back to this more often than I’d like to admit in pursuit of quick wins. Which should be OK once in a while, but obviously it can get exploited. I know that I play and only represent my own self and my poor plays should reflect nothing other than my lack of skill, but you know that is not how everyone else sees it. I really regretted my level of plays - not only because I let myself down, but also knowing that it gives an excuse to trash my friends who really did play at a pretty high level, for both some OU tournament players and terrible players who think they’re the shit because they put VGC at the end of their name and it means they’re superior to all DOU players and smogon should stfu about doubles because “they” all suck and Snorlax ban only happened because “we” are terrible and only banned it cuz they lost to it to some vgc players on the ladder or some retarded nonsensical garbage. I was quite stressed out with mental burden knowing full well that whenever I lose, I don’t just let myself and my team down, but also my friends.

At least I’ll be free from that for some time, and I’ll come back stronger if I can. Cheers.

Importables & Replays

Nadeko (Zygarde) @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Thousand Waves
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower

Mew @ Mago Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 28 SpA / 164 SpD
Bold Nature
- Fake Out
- Trick Room
- Transform
- Ice Beam

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Taunt
- Volt Switch

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 204 Atk / 52 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Fusion Bolt
- Protect
- Ice Beam

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Stomping Tantrum
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Snorlax @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Frustration
- Belly Drum
- Recycle
- Fire Punch

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)