Weakness:Fire, Ice, Flying, Poison and Bug
Resistances:Water, Electric, Grass, Ground

Abilities:
-Chlorophyll (speed boost in sunshine)
-Leaf guard (status heal in sunlight)
-Regeneration (heal when switched out)

Movepool:
-Eggmoves-
Flail, Confusion, Megadrain, Amnesia, Leech seed, Nature power, Endeavor, Leaf storm, Power swap, Gigadrain, Power rage, Natural gift.

-level up-
Level 1:Ingrain, Level 1:Constrict, Level 5:Sleep powder, Level 8:Absorb, Level 12:Growth, Level 15:Posion powder, Level 19: Vinewhip, Level 22: Bind, Level 26: Mega drain, Level 29:Stun spore, Level 33:Knock off, Level 36:Ancient power, Level 40: Natural gift, Level 43:Slam, Level 47:Tickle, Level 50:Power whip, Level 57:Block

-TM&HM-
TM06:Toxic, TM10:Hidden power, TM11:Sunny day, TM15:Hyper beam, TM17:Protect, TM21:Frustration, TM22:Solarbeam, TM26:Earthquake, TM27:Return, TM31:Brick break, TM32:Double team, TM33:Reflect, TM36:Sludge bomb, TM39:Rock tomb, TM40:Aerial ace, TM42:Facade, TM44:Rest, TM45:Attract, TM46:Thief, TM48:Sing a round, TM52:Focus blast, TM53:Energy ball, TM56:Fling, TM66:Payback, TM68:Giga impact, TM70:Swords dance, TM77:Psych up, TM78:Level Ground, TM80:Rock slide, TM84:Posion Jab, TM86:Grass knot, TM87:Swagger, TM90:Substitute, TM94:Rock Smash, HM01:Cut, HM04:Strength

What I think...
Wow... new ability, new egg moves, new tm's tangrowth got some new toys to use in this generation. But its my guess that he will go back to his old duties of being a tanking grass type. Tangrowths biggest gain is its ability, before it had potential but now with healing every switch its just become much more useful. Heres my guess of some of the movesets you will see:

Moveset#1 Physical wall
252 Hp/252 Def, 4 Atk or 4 sp Atk
Item:Leftovers
Ability:Regeneration
Moves:Sleep powder, Knock off, Leech seed, Powerwhip/Leafstorm

This moveset works like a charm most of the time and is great to shut down plenty of things that stand in tangrowths way. You can either be a physical attacker or sp attacker with this set depending on which move you prefer, with leaf storm the sp attack drop isnt so bad considering you might switch more often to make use of tangrowths new ability.

Moveset#2 ICWutUDidThar
252 Hp/ 252 Def 4 atk
Item:Leftovers
Ability:Regeneration
Moves:Psych Up, Sleep powder, Earthquake, Power whip

This is more of a gimmick designed to annoy one pokemon in particular... Gyrados. Gyrados can do 2 dragon dances and use ice fang and it wont even do half of tangrowths hp, from then on you psych up those boosts and shut them down with sleep powder and take it from there. Earthquake is just for coverage if you plan to sweep, but there are other moves that can be used instead.

Thats all ive got for now, leave comments and discuss opinions, especially if you think tangrowth is a bigger threat or more viable to use now!

DAIMN AWESOME TANGROWTH.Wow i was waiting for this so thanks a lot =].I wonder why i didnt make the threat myself .___. .
Well anyway Tangrowth was somewhat few but significant new toys to play with..The most noticable one of these is deffinetly going to be regenaration.I mean its just such a wonderful ability for Walls and Sweepers alike but bulkier stuff are probably going to benifit the most from this.It might actually have enough potential with this ability to compete for a team slot with the likes of Celebi,Shaymin Etc.I mean this is like a free synthesis every damn time you switch in not to mention complete immunity to SR/Spikes.This is deffinetly every Wall's dream ability (Lol dream world puns)(Maybe not wob but yah).
Another Environmental benifit that tangrowth received is a new ally in the form of Ninetails.These to have prety good synergy as well and no one should Underestimate the power of a SD LO Tangrowth.
Anyway...Should't Synethesis/Level Ground/Earthquake be a option over Knock off/Leech seed?Synthesis is quite reliable on Sunny day teams now.The ground moves help with coverage and stops a lot of sweepers like Doryuzo,Luke using you as set up bait.The choice is between wether you want Utility or Power.Also Pain split should deserve a slash.It can be pretty effective but somewhat situational i suppose.And sharp recoil moves are deffinetly not even worth a consideration on a wall like Tangy.I suggest just going with Giga drain with its new 75 base if you want special as it eases the lack of reliable recovery move and its only 5 base away from energy ball so its deffinetly ideal.
All in all this guy has some real potential this gen checking a lot of the physical beasts unleashed such as Terakion and Birijion.Il be looking forward to seeing him in OU ^,^.
I might edit later with a set or two.

Tangrowth Fan 4 life.

Regeneration is great for Tangrowth, obviously - a real boon to its defensive capabilities.

It can still take on Gyarados, Tyranitar and everything it checked before but in Gen V, threats like Doryuuzu, Terakion, Birijion, Randorosu, Warubiaru etc can be decently taken on as well. I really think it has great potential this generation.

I would probably use this set: Sleep Powder / Power Whip / HP Ice / Level Ground or Earthquake which allows it to be a versatile wall.

With the event of drought ninetails he could become a serious threat with a set like:

Chlorophyll
4hp,252att,252spd

Sleep powder
Swords dance
Power whip
Equake/rock slide

Max speed for outspeeding stuff in sunlight, Max attack to beatdown stuff and equake or rock slide whether you want to kill gyarados faster

They take one of the best physical walls in the game (IMO), then made it so he heals his health every time he switches out, making him EVEN HARDER to kill.

...I have no objections.

I would probably use this set: Sleep Powder / Power Whip / HP Ice / Level Ground or Earthquake which allows it to be a versatile wall.
I would question the effectiveness of HP Ice.Generally this helps you beat Dragons but as they can easily Ohk0 you anyway and you dont have any hope of actually walling them would't something like Synthesis/Knock Off/Leech seed be a better option?Just my oppinion tho =P.

Btw is there any weird Illegality issue thats worth mentioning?

why dont you try a stall set with toxic, leech seed, synthisis and amnesia, it could stall pretty well when the taunt users are gone and if one does come regeneration gives a healing switch

They take one of the best physical walls in the game (IMO), then made it so he heals his health every time he switches out, making him EVEN HARDER to kill.

...I have no objections.
Cresselia is a heck of a lot harder to kill than Tangrowth, but at least Regeneration isn't hindered by Sandstorm.

I used Tangrowth in OU for a while and it was a great help. I think it suffers from the same problems as Cresselia; very common counters. Hopefully Regeneration will help.

I thought someone already did a Tangrowth thread? Probably my imagination....

Anyway Regeneration helps it a lot. It could be a great counter to things like Doryuuzu.

I would question the effectiveness of HP Ice.Generally this helps you beat Dragons but as they can easily Ohk0 you anyway
Tangrowth can take on SD Garchomp and Ononokusu well, since the former does 90% max with +2 LO Outrage and the latter only manages 75% at +1. HP Ice is useful for Birijion and Randorusu too. So personally, I would run HP Ice.

Yeh tangrowths sp def does let it down, but with its new ability it doesnt need to rely on synthesis as much and opens up another move slot so amnesia might get used a bit more to cover this.
Another good move set could be: Ingrain, Amnesia, powerwhip, and earthquake with the ability leaf guard in sunlight this thing could take hits like a champ both specially and physically without fear of status. (you can just tell tangrowth is gunna love ninetales)
Shame ingrain means you cant switch or an ingrain, leech seed, giga drain set with regeneration would be epic.

Regeneration means Tangrowth is going to be so hard to take out! Its still going to be UU in my opinion (though I'm just Theorymoning) but its going to be an even greater tank. Can't wait to try this out!

I don't really see the point of Power Whip over say Giga Drain considering the buff it got this gen upto 10PP + 75 BP. Seems like Tangrowth would prefer the extra healing seeing its coming off a 110 S.atk w/ STAB along with its HP recovery in Regeneration.

Grass just isn't a very viable power attack without any effects for something thats mainly defensive, you'll always be better off running coverage attacks like Sludge Bomb/Poison Jab/HP Ice/Focus Blast etc.

EDIT:
Tangrowth can take on SD Garchomp and Ononokusu well, since the former does 90% max with +2 LO Outrage and the latter only manages 75% at +1. HP Ice is useful for Birijion and Randorusu too. So personally, I would run HP Ice.
Actually I just had a better idea after reading this, why not run Endeavor? Say Garchomp or Ononokusu SD up and you bring Tangrowth in on the switch, if Tangrowth does survive that well than simply Endeavor on the Outrage and cripple them. Switch out Tangrowth and let a steel type priority killer take another hit and finish the job and Tangrowth gets out of that situation with still 40%+ of his health to wall again.

Difference between most gimmicky Endeavor sets is Tangrowth doesn't have to be perma crippled to pull it off as he can simply switch out with a new bill of health.

What.. why Endeavour when you can just kill it straight off. It's too risky to pull off outside of the position, Tangrowth doesn't have a priority move, and it's just too slow to make good use of it.

Giga Drain is cool.

I don't really see the point of Power Whip over say Giga Drain considering the buff it got this gen upto 10PP + 75 BP. Seems like Tangrowth would prefer the extra healing seeing its coming off a 110 S.atk w/ STAB along with its HP recovery in Regeneration.

Grass just isn't a very viable power attack without any effects for something thats mainly defensive, you'll always be better off running coverage attacks like Sludge Bomb/Poison Jab/HP Ice/Focus Blast etc.
Yeh thats actually good point, I find power whip tends to miss when I really need it. And now that giga drain is more powerful it seems like a better option as the extra hp would be welcome on my tangrowth. Also coming off the higher attack stat doesnt hurt it either.

Nevermind, I forgot to account for Life Orb recoil making HP Ice a 2HKO just barely.

Though the train of thought I had was that if the +2 LO Outrage is enough to cripple even Tangrowth that badly without him getting a revenge kill in return. Endeavor would cripple the guy better than HP Ice and would be putting him into LO recoil death regions if you simply switch to something else to take the next attack.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Perhaps this would work on ol' Growth. This set is meant to be used with Droughtales.

Set: Leaf Guard Abuse
Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Ability: Leaf Guard
Nature: Bold
Spread: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SPA
~Leech Seed
~Synthesis/Giga Drain
~Amnesia/Giga Drain/Sleep Powder
~Substitute/HP Fire/HP Ground/HP Rock

Alright, I see a lot of talk of Chlorophyll and Regeneration, but Leaf Guard never gets any love. The purpose of using LG over the other two options is that now Tangrowth fears no status, a great thing for such a bulky tank as Growth.
Bold nature and the corresponding EVs to assure that he takes physical hits like a doorstop, most nothing will be able to get through this guy on the physical end.
First of his moves, the obvious Leech Seed. Additional Leech Seed HP on top of leftovers is great, and the residual damage on the opponent is nice too.
Second, a quicker method of recovery than LS, using Synthesis in perma sun will result in a 75% restoration in HP; nothing to scoff at. If you would rather have a move will better PP and takes advantage of STAB, Giga Drain is an excellent option with the buffs it received this gen.
Next, we have Amnesia. Tangrowth has a major problem with a special attacker that comes in to ruin its fun. Switch in on a physical attacker, and between Seeding and Recovering, slip in some Amnesias. If you can get this thing to +6 SPD, its a real force to be reckoned with. As before, if you are only wanting a Defensive Growth, you can opt for Giga Drain instead.
For the last moveslot, several choices. Substitute speaks for itself, if you want a more standard Seeding approach. HP Fire is boosted by the perma sun, and can hit Grass types, who you otherwise can't do anything to with this set. Lastly, A huge problem can arise with Fire types. They get the boost from sun just like you do, and with Ninetales running Drought instead of Flash Fire, there isn't much you can do about it. HP Ground comes in here, with the ability to hit them for SE damage, as well as many other things. HP Rock is the last option, in case you fear Moltres and Charizard, who can't be hit by HP Ground.

Edit: My god, how did I forget about Sleep Powder on Tangrowth? Well, that can be used to take care of Fire types, as well as other Grass Types.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Tangrowth seems like an Excellent Chlorophyll Sweeper.

Tangrowth @ Life Orb
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def Adamant
-Sleep Powder
-Power Whip
-Earthquake
-Swords Dance / Rock Slide

Or a Special Set....

Tangrowth @ Life Orb
252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def Modest
-SolarBeam / Giga Drain / Grass Knot
-Focus Blast
-Sleep Powder
-Hidden Power [Ice]

Tangrowth can finally distinguish himself from celebi. On another note, has anyone thought of using him as one of those force a switch choice banders?

Regeneration!

Tangrowth @ big root/Leftovers
252 HP 252 Def 4Sp.def
Regeneration - Calm nature
- Giga drain
- Leech seed
- Energy Ball
- Amnesia

Switch in on a poke which can't hande grass types, use amnesia, use leech seed, etc etc. Switch out when you need the 33% regen.

Pro's: Hard to kill, annoying bla bla

Con's easily walled by other grass types/pokes that resist grass

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Regeneration!

Tangrowth @ big root/Leftovers
252 HP 252 Def 4Sp.def
Regeneration - Calm nature
- Giga drain
- Leech seed
- Energy Ball
- Amnesia

Switch in on a poke which can't hande grass types, use amnesia, use leech seed, etc etc. Switch out when you need the 33% regen.

Pro's: Hard to kill, annoying bla bla

Con's easily walled by other grass types/pokes that resist grass
Giga Drain AND Energy Ball...? What?

YouAreOuttaHere!
Relaxed: 252 Hp/ 252 Def/ 4 sp attk
Ability:Chlorophyl/Regeneration
Item:Red card
Moves:Sleep powder, Knock off, Leech seed, Giga drain

What the fudge is this you might ask, well its something unexpected thats what! Standard ability and moves just different item. Next question is why would you use that? Simple to shut down two pokemon at once or eliminate a big threat.
Red card makes the pokemon that hit you get switched out. Now im not sure if its a random switch or not but if it is then thats great! Lets say tangrowth outspeeds something that is a possible threat, say a choice bander or something with an item you dont like, simply knock it off before they attack, then when they do attack the poke is forced to switch and bam you hit it with sleep powder and they are almost forced to switch again meaning one pokemon has lost its item and another is asleep.

Also if something gets a bigstat boost you dont like and cant take out and need to get rid of, offer tangrowth as fodder and the pokemon is forced to switch, if tangrowth lives then switch him out and get some nice regeneration and he's back in the game!

Edit: My bad I should have said relaxed or bold nature, depending on which ability your using

Actually I just had a better idea after reading this, why not run Endeavor? Say Garchomp or Ononokusu SD up and you bring Tangrowth in on the switch, if Tangrowth does survive that well than simply Endeavor on the Outrage and cripple them. Switch out Tangrowth and let a steel type priority killer take another hit and finish the job and Tangrowth gets out of that situation with still 40%+ of his health to wall again.
Tangrowth gets pretty good coverage with Power Whip/EQ/Rock Slide, two moves you didn't mention at all. Base power makes PW far more powerful that Giga Drain - its main selling point.

Endeavour like the other guy said is pointless when you can take the hit and just KO back with your own attacks.

Tangrowth now has a pretty good movepool on both special and physical sides - Power Whip, EQ, Rock Slide, Return, Brick Break (generally outclassed by EQ), Payback, Poison Jab are its best physical moves; Leaf Storm, Giga Drain, Grass Knot, Focus Blast, Sludge Bomb, and HP are on offer specially.

Physical has better coverage and reliability but slightly less power. I'm definitely gonna be trying out a bulky Sun set as well as a frailer Chlorophyll sweeper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)