VGC Swag Attack! 2.0 - VGC Bulky offence team

If anyone saw Wolffe Glick's team for the athens regionals, they will know how well swagger works with misty terrain (or anything that prevents status), and tapu fini WRECKS!

However, I truly believe (although my opinion is absolutely irrelevant) that this team is an improvement on that concept. In this RMT, I explain the pokemon, and the strategy behind the team. I truly hope that you learn something from this, and Feel free to give me your opinion in the comments.

THE TEAM

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 48 SpA / 112 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast/Taunt
- Swagger
- Protect

Tapu Fini is the core defense of the team, even though the whole team has decent bulk. Swagger combined with misty surge is suprisingly powerful, as i can boost the attack of an ally without confusion, and they cannot get burned. Muddy Water is there for a strong multi-target move, that can lower accuracy, and protect because VGC. I am still tossing up over whether to use moonblast for offensive coverage, or taunt for a more utility-based set. Leftovers are for at least some recovery, and the EV's are in both defenses for survivability, and some in special attack for a slightly more powerful muddy water (or moonblast).

Metagross @ Steelium Z
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Protect
- Earthquake

Metagross is one of my two swagger-abusers (that's a thing now), with a monstrous attack stat, and a good aggressive typing. It has Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt for some really powerful STAB attacks, and Earthquake for a strong spread, and protect. I like to use Metagross as a Z-move pokemon, as it does insane damage to tanks like porygon, especially with a boosted attack. The EV spread is for a bulky physical set, as thats what it benifits most from. Clear body helps to keep it's attack up.

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Protect
- Poison Jab

Hariyama is the second Swagger abuser, and is a brilliant fake-outer. Fake out helps to buy time for allies, and for flame orb to activate. I like to use Close Combat over Superpower, as a massive-damage STAB attack. Poison jab gives good coverage against tapu's and other fairies, plus Protect. Guts is a really good ability combined with flame orb, and EV's are once again in HP and Attack.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Protect

Porygon works suprisingly well on this team, as most of my pokemon are in either the middle or low speed tiers. Trick room takes huge advantage of this. As well as this, thunderbolt for an attacking move and some decent special coverage, Recover gives porygon liveability and stalling options, and protect. Eviolite to make porygon-2 even bulkier, download in case of a possible special attack boost, and EV's for the highest special defense possible.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Hydro Pump
- Protect

These last 2 slots were made for coverage in typing, ability and movepool. Salamence was included for its wide special movepool, it's Intimidate ability, and the precious flying type. Draco Meteor is a High-risk, High-reward deal, with high base power, and lowering special attack after. Flamethrower for some fire-type coverage, something highly useful in this format. I run Hydro pump on salamence, which helps with the surprise factor, and then protect. Life orb helps to maximise damage output, as it is my fastest mon, at 100 base speed (This thrives against faster teams, however), and has that highly-esteemed Intimidate, to lower the opponents attack. The EV's Maximise Speed and Special attack, to maximise its attacking presence.

Gastrodon @ Maranga Berry
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Recover

Gastrodon is on this team because of its ground typing, as i find it difficult to deal with electric-types. I have considered replacing it with Alolan Marowak, but i am not too sure, so i'm keeping this for now. Needless to say, it thrives with this set. Scald and ice beam are strong coverage moves on its decent special attack. Recover helps it to stall it it can get a burn with scald, and protect. Maranga berry is a really good item that boosts special defence, and storm drain boost special attack, both of which are really useful. it has a physically defensive EV spread.

STRATEGY

In most battles, I will lead with either Tapu fini and metagross, or Hariyama and Porygon-2.

With TapuGross, I set up metagross with a high attack using tapu fini, and use offensive moves to pick up quick KO's. I usually also have Salamence and also either Hariyama or Gastrodon in the back.

Then, using PoryYama, I fake out (or protect) using hariyama, and trick room porygon, and next turn switch out porygon with tapu fini, and then swagger onto hariyama.

Thanks for reading, and I would really appreciate any feedback. ANY feedback.

Until next time

P. Wrath

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)