Project SV OU Teambuilding Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats to Wesleyy for winning Week 17!
Your team will be added to the Team Archive shortly.

----------------------------------------------

Onto Week 18!

1698533844983.png

Sinistcha

"Screw Great Tusk" -Sinistcha, probably.

Another new mon, Sinistcha uses bulk and utility where its Galarian cousin prefers all-out offense. A surprisingly solid defensive type, great stats, and a deep support movepool makes for a hard mon to take down. Matcha Gotcha is a hilarious signature move that, much like real tea, is nourishing and burning at the same time.

Notable Moves (Link to discussion thread)
- Calm Mind
- Leaf Storm
- Energy Ball
- Matcha Gotcha
- Nasty Plot
- Scald
- Stun Spore
- Strength Sap
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room
- Memento

It's tea time - what Sinistcha teams can you come up with?
Team submissions will be open through Friday, November 3rd.

(Voting for Week 18 will be simple "pick a winner" voting. Please let me know if you have any questions!)

Congrats to Wesleyy for winning Week 17!

Onto Week 18!

View attachment 565845

Sinistcha

"Screw Great Tusk" -Sinistcha, probably.

Another new mon, Sinistcha uses bulk and utility where its Galarian cousin prefers all-out offense. A surprisingly solid defensive type, great stats, and a deep support movepool makes for a hard mon to take down. Matcha Gotcha is a hilarious signature move that, much like real tea, is nourishing and burning at the same time.

Notable Moves (Link to discussion thread)
- Calm Mind
- Leaf Storm
- Energy Ball
- Matcha Gotcha
- Nasty Plot
- Scald
- Stun Spore
- Strength Sap
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room
- Memento

It's tea time - what Sinistcha teams can you come up with?
Team submissions will be open through Friday, November 3rd.

(Voting for Week 18 will be simple "pick a winner" voting. Please let me know if you have any questions!)
yo thats gasssss

SINISTCHA BALANCE
:Gliscor::Sinistcha::Great Tusk::Samurott-Hisui::Zapdos::Slowking-Galar:

This team likely has some optimizations that can be made, but so far from some of the basic testing I've done, its pretty OK. Sinistcha has an interesting defensive profile, with decent physical bulk and solid typing + Heat proof, giving it solid match-ups against Ogerpon, Great Tusk, Garganacl, and Rillaboom, while being difficult to switch into due to its good STAB Combo. Macha Gacha is also a great move with its 18% burn rate, which you can fish for on switch-ins like Kingambit. I decided early on I wanted to run Sinistcha with SD Taunt Gliscor, which was a set I got cooked by a few times here and their. It matches up very well vs other Gliscor and Corviknight, and does decently vs Cinderace. It also appreciate's Sinischa's solid match-up against Ogerpon.

The last 4 Pokemon were selected to give this team a decent amount of offensive prowess while still maintaining a solid defensive structure. Great Tusk offers a Kingambit check and Spin support, which sinistcha appreciates. Samurott-H is a good Spikes setter that pairs well with Sinistcha due to the latter's good MU with Great Tusk and Ogerpon. Zapdos offers paralysis support, which Sinistcha appreciates to give it more free Calm Mind boost and help with its sluggish speed. Lastly, Slowking-G is used to absorb T-Spikes and blanket check annoying special attackers like Iron Moth, Alolatales, and the like.

I tried making this team a lot less passive than a previous team I built, so Gholdengo likely isn't as big of an issue, but Manaphy still is somewhat annoying for this team, as is Weavile, though Weavile can at least be played around with Tera. Knock Off Ogerpon isn't something I've seen too much, but is another annoyance for this team as well.

https://pokepast.es/407ec1eea0b37e8c

:sinistcha: :ting-lu: :slowking: :landorus-therian: :heatran: :zamazenta:

Sinistcha is tera poison to be able to setup on gliscor late game. With strength sap you can PP stall its earthquakes and setup on it and not worry about it. It also gives it huge recovery and allows it to take a hit from smth like zama crunch, great tusk ice spinner, rillaboom knock off, and switch out to appropiate teammate to take advantage of the -1 attack

Ting Lu provides spikes support. Spikes help lando-t, zama, and sinistcha to take advantage of them late game by being able to force more damage on the pokemon that want to switch in. If many pokemon are boots then you can use ruination to force a lot of damage on them as they dont have recovery with lefties.

Slowking is the sp. def water... it helps the rain MU with the use of chilly reception and its strong bulk to take hits from things like WW, pelipper, greninja water moves, etc. With chilly reception it can bring in smth like heatran on a grass type like rillaboom or amoonguss or zamazenta on a dark type like kingambit, samu-h, greninja, and others.

Lando-t is a another member of the team. With its strong attack it can take advantage of the spikes to setup subs on turns where they want to recover, take advantage of switches it forces on fire types that may want to take advantage of sinistcha or physical pokemon in general who may be scared out like cind, kingambit, or tusk without spinner. Sub is the set I chose because with smack down it can force a lot of damage around with flying pokemon wanting to switch out like zapdos.

Heatran and zama are the final mons on the team. Zama-c is able to provide a lot of pseed control and abel to take much wanted advantage of the spikes, while also countering a late game gambit and providing counterplay to Physical valiant without fairy coverage. Heatran also takes great advantage of spikes and is able to provide great resistances to the team by taking advantage of amoonguss, can trap gliscor, and can output a lot of progress against pokemon like pex

:sinistcha: :great-tusk: :zapdos: :gholdengo: :samurott-hisui: :heatran:

Sinistcha is a potent late game sweeper, whilst also being good into rillaboom, great tusk, dragonite, zamazenta, and ogerpon-w with colbur berry to tank knock off and get the strength sap drop. tera steel allows you to 1v1 most gliscor clefable cores and with heatproof becomes very resilient to a lot of attacks. From here I chose spdef Zapdos to help with the matchup into opposing special attackers, which are often the biggest threats to Sinistcha. Samurott-Hisui helps with Gholdengo as well as providing some immediate power to break stall with and help spikestack since sinistcha is a very good spinblocker. Great-tusk synergises well with sinistcha defensively, and provides a great check to kingambit. heatran patches up the weakness to iron moth and helps with the gliscor matchup as well. Gholdengo provides speed control and trick to help with manaphy who can be a problem for this team.

Voting time! It's time to vote for your favorite - with simple "pick a winner" voting. Just leave a reply to the thread with your vote for the winner.

Below are this week's teams:

----------------------------

Team A

SINISTCHA BALANCE
:Gliscor::Sinistcha::Great Tusk::Samurott-Hisui::Zapdos::Slowking-Galar:

This team likely has some optimizations that can be made, but so far from some of the basic testing I've done, its pretty OK. Sinistcha has an interesting defensive profile, with decent physical bulk and solid typing + Heat proof, giving it solid match-ups against Ogerpon, Great Tusk, Garganacl, and Rillaboom, while being difficult to switch into due to its good STAB Combo. Macha Gacha is also a great move with its 18% burn rate, which you can fish for on switch-ins like Kingambit. I decided early on I wanted to run Sinistcha with SD Taunt Gliscor, which was a set I got cooked by a few times here and their. It matches up very well vs other Gliscor and Corviknight, and does decently vs Cinderace. It also appreciate's Sinischa's solid match-up against Ogerpon.

Team B

https://pokepast.es/407ec1eea0b37e8c

:sinistcha: :ting-lu: :slowking: :landorus-therian: :heatran: :zamazenta:

Sinistcha is tera poison to be able to setup on gliscor late game. With strength sap you can PP stall its earthquakes and setup on it and not worry about it. It also gives it huge recovery and allows it to take a hit from smth like zama crunch, great tusk ice spinner, rillaboom knock off, and switch out to appropiate teammate to take advantage of the -1 attack

Team C

:sinistcha: :great-tusk: :zapdos: :gholdengo: :samurott-hisui: :heatran:

Sinistcha is a potent late game sweeper, whilst also being good into rillaboom, great tusk, dragonite, zamazenta, and ogerpon-w with colbur berry to tank knock off and get the strength sap drop. tera steel allows you to 1v1 most gliscor clefable cores and with heatproof becomes very resilient to a lot of attacks. From here I chose spdef Zapdos to help with the matchup into opposing special attackers, which are often the biggest threats to Sinistcha. Samurott-Hisui helps with Gholdengo as well as providing some immediate power to break stall with and help spikestack since sinistcha is a very good spinblocker. Great-tusk synergises well with sinistcha defensively, and provides a great check to kingambit. heatran patches up the weakness to iron moth and helps with the gliscor matchup as well. Gholdengo provides speed control and trick to help with manaphy who can be a problem for this team.

----------------------------

Place your vote for the best :sinistcha: team by Tuesday, November 7th!

Thanks for your patience - congrats to Magcargo for winning Week 18!

Time for Week 19! Let's go off the board a lil with:

craig.gif

Torterra!

Let's do another Grass mon, shall we? The Gen 4 Grass starter got a bunch of new toys in SV; in addition to the endless possibilities that Tera provides, Game Freak bestowed upon this turtle Headlong Rush, Grassy Glide, Body Press, and - what everyone was waiting for - Shell Smash. But that's not to prescribe any specific sets upon y'all - with great 95/105/85 bulk, solid STABs, and the coverage it needs, Torterra's got more going for it than it's ever had.

Notable Moves (Link to Discussion Thread)
- Body Press
- Crunch
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Facade
- Grassy Glide
- Headlong Rush
- Heavy Slam
- High Horsepower
- Iron Head
- Leech Seed
- Outrage
- Rock Blast
- Rock Slide
- Shell Smash
- Smack Down
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Swords Dance
- Synthesis
- Wood Hammer
- Zen Headbutt

Submit your best Torterra teams this week!
Team submissions will be open through Monday, November 13th.

(Voting for Week 19 will be simple "pick a winner" voting.)

Webs GrassSpam Torterra
:Ribombee: - :Torterra: - :Rillaboom: - :Iron-Moth: - :Manaphy: - :Gholdengo:

Going for a more unconventional approach to Webs, I built this team in mind with taking advantage of how Torterra can spam two 120 BP STAB moves (before even remembering the Teambuilding Competition thread) while covering for its speed weakness in Ribombee’s Sticky Web and the recoil damage it suffers with complimentary wallbreaker Rillaboom’s Grassy Terrain. Grassy Terrain also gives the team a form of passive recovery and boosts Torterra’s Wood Hammer to 156 BP. I chose Tera Fire with Tera Blast for Torterra to help it smash through the annoying Steel types going around like Air Balloon Gholdengo and the occasional Corviknight, which also makes it immune to the Will-O-Wisps that might be thrown its way. Torterra covers Ceruledge and Skeledirge for Rillaboom and acts as the team’s main physical sweeper while Rillaboom helps as a wallbreaker/cleaner that can also cripple opponents with Knock Off. Manaphy and Gholdengo act as hard-to-stop Special wallbreakers, with Gholdengo assisting in the stall matchup. Iron Moth is the main special sweeper for the team to help get rid of the Steel type annoyances that face Torterra and Rillaboom ahead of time.

Link for those who can’t access parsed links: https://pokepast.es/f37672679986f0fa

Loaded Dice Torterra
Torterra -- Cinderace -- Ogerpon-Wellspring -- Grimmsnarl -- Rillaboom -- Glimmora

I figured if you could get up swords dances and trailblazes with torterra, then with the support of hazards and screens, Torterra can actually be pretty brutal. Torterra with loaded dice for bullet seed and rock blast, trailblaze for speed, swords dance for power, and tera water for survivability against pokemon like Iron Moth. Cinderace helps control hazards, screens, etc. Cinderace also cripples physical attackers that Torterra may struggle against (i.g kingambit). Ogerpon is another strong pokemon, also finishing this fire-water-grass core. Grimmsnarl helps all three swords dancers (torterra, ogerpon, rillaboom) to have a easier time setting up. Rillaboom boosts the power of the different grass moves on the team, while dealing quite a bit of damage. Glimmora sets hazards to break sash, or cripple flying/fire types with stealth rocks.

Here's the paste: https://pokepast.es/ee226b0b0b6002b7

Loaded Dice Torterra
Torterra -- Cinderace -- Ogerpon-Wellspring -- Grimmsnarl -- Rillaboom -- Glimmora

I figured if you could get up swords dances and trailblazes with torterra, then with the support of hazards and screens, Torterra can actually be pretty brutal. Torterra with loaded dice for bullet seed and rock blast, trailblaze for speed, swords dance for power, and tera water for survivability against pokemon like Iron Moth. Cinderace helps control hazards, screens, etc. Cinderace also cripples physical attackers that Torterra may struggle against (i.g kingambit). Ogerpon is another strong pokemon, also finishing this fire-water-grass core. Grimmsnarl helps all three swords dancers (torterra, ogerpon, rillaboom) to have a easier time setting up. Rillaboom boosts the power of the different grass moves on the team, while dealing quite a bit of damage. Glimmora sets hazards to break sash, or cripple flying/fire types with stealth rocks.

Sorry there's only 2 swords dance users on this team.

kd458

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Assuming that this is still open cus of there only being 2 submissions so far:

Grassy Tort Wish Pass Bulky Offense

:sv/Rillaboom: :sv/Heatran: :sv/Alomomola: :sv/Torterra: :sv/Slowking_Galar: :sv/Great_Tusk:

For the third time this week, here's a team pairing Shell Smash Torterra with Grassy Terrain support; however, this team is less of a Hyper Offense and more of a Bulky Offense that looks to find opportunities to bring in Torterra over the course of a game. One major issue that I notice with Tort is that, even after a Shell Smash, you are still very slow, and so I aimed to make a build where Torterra can be brought in, get off a Shell Smash and claim a kill or two then be switched out and potentially even come back in later for another chance to sweep.

This fits perfectly with one of my personal favourite cores of Rilla - Heatran - Alo, and while going for a Fire-Water-Grass core is a very basic approach to teambuilding these mons cover each others' weaknesses very well and provide excellent support for each other. Grassy Terrain gives Heatran incredible longevity, while Wish support not only heals up Heatran but can also offset damage taken by Rillaboom from hazards and Wood Hammer recoil. These also synergise well with Torterra, as Alomomola can wish pass to heal up Tort if it takes damage while attempting a sweep, Heatran resists all 4 of Torterra's weaknesses and Rillaboom powers up Bullet Seed into a 130-162.5BP STAB option with Grassy Terrain while also providing some passive recovery.

Great Tusk is a logical pairing with these mons, as hazard control is an important consideration when Heatran, Rillaboom and Torterra will take them on entering the field; this slot was initially a Leftovers support Tusk set, but the team struggled heavily with speed control and so Booster Speed allows for Tusk to act as a check to faster mons like Dragapult, Weavile and the Ogerpons while Tera Poison gives it a much better chance of muscling through Zamazenta. Wish passing helps to offset the lack of Leftovers or Boots and better check Kingambit over the course of a game.

Although this team has Heatran as a Fairy resist, with these members it struggles against CC Iron Valiant, Earth Power Enamorus and gets rolled over hard by sun, as even with Sp.Def investment Alomomola is OHKOd by Booster Sp.Atk Wake's Draco. Zamazenta is also an issue, as Iron Defense - Body Press variants would typically force Tera Ghost on Heatran or Tera Poison Great Tusk (which still doesn't comfortably beat it without prior chip). Enter Slowking-Galar, who can not only provide key resistances but act as another bulky pivot to bring in Torterra, with Future Sight support being fantastic as FS -> Chilly into Tort will often force the Torterra answer to stay off the field for another turn and allow for a Shell Smash. Toxic Spikes is a great niche option that I've been teching onto GKing recently as many offensive teams will have no absorber or the absorber will come in on GKing, while FSight forces in things like Lu that hate the status; it also can help as an unexpected option if the Tspike absorber ever goes down and softens up a team for Torterra to sweep, with mons like ID Zamazenta no longer able to set up and wall the turtle. Tera Grass exists as a panic check to the threatening Ogerpon-W, but isn't usually necessary.

Hope you enjoy the team! Let me know if you want any more details on the spreads, and this team initially had an Ursaluna over the Torterra (hint: the Shadow Ball switch in is now uhhhhh keep Heatran healthy with Wish and don't let max hazards go up). Wish Pass Bulky Offence is one of my favourite more niche playstyles that I've found success with this gen and it enables Tort to come in and set up a Shell Smash more than once per game, have done a little testing on the ladder and got up to the 1700s with it so it's definitely functional even if there may be better mons for this than Torterra lmao. Also if you run into stall with this core it's genuinely pretty unlosable because double regen + Heatran + Band Rilla which is always a nice feeling, Tort can kinda just sit back and watch for that matchup although being a setup sweeper that threatens Dondozo is very fun.

Thanks for your patience, and thanks for the great submissions! It's time to vote for the Week 19 winning team:

Team A

Webs GrassSpam Torterra
:Ribombee: - :Torterra: - :Rillaboom: - :Iron-Moth: - :Manaphy: - :Gholdengo:

Going for a more unconventional approach to Webs, I built this team in mind with taking advantage of how Torterra can spam two 120 BP STAB moves (before even remembering the Teambuilding Competition thread) while covering for its speed weakness in Ribombee’s Sticky Web and the recoil damage it suffers with complimentary wallbreaker Rillaboom’s Grassy Terrain. Grassy Terrain also gives the team a form of passive recovery and boosts Torterra’s Wood Hammer to 156 BP. I chose Tera Fire with Tera Blast for Torterra to help it smash through the annoying Steel types going around like Air Balloon Gholdengo and the occasional Corviknight, which also makes it immune to the Will-O-Wisps that might be thrown its way. Torterra covers Ceruledge and Skeledirge for Rillaboom and acts as the team’s main physical sweeper while Rillaboom helps as a wallbreaker/cleaner that can also cripple opponents with Knock Off. Manaphy and Gholdengo act as hard-to-stop Special wallbreakers, with Gholdengo assisting in the stall matchup. Iron Moth is the main special sweeper for the team to help get rid of the Steel type annoyances that face Torterra and Rillaboom ahead of time.

Link for those who can’t access parsed links: https://pokepast.es/f37672679986f0fa

Team B

Loaded Dice Torterra

Team C

Assuming that this is still open cus of there only being 2 submissions so far:

Grassy Tort Wish Pass Bulky Offense

:sv/Rillaboom: :sv/Heatran: :sv/Alomomola: :sv/Torterra: :sv/Slowking_Galar: :sv/Great_Tusk:

For the third time this week, here's a team pairing Shell Smash Torterra with Grassy Terrain support; however, this team is less of a Hyper Offense and more of a Bulky Offense that looks to find opportunities to bring in Torterra over the course of a game. One major issue that I notice with Tort is that, even after a Shell Smash, you are still very slow, and so I aimed to make a build where Torterra can be brought in, get off a Shell Smash and claim a kill or two then be switched out and potentially even come back in later for another chance to sweep.

This fits perfectly with one of my personal favourite cores of Rilla - Heatran - Alo, and while going for a Fire-Water-Grass core is a very basic approach to teambuilding these mons cover each others' weaknesses very well and provide excellent support for each other. Grassy Terrain gives Heatran incredible longevity, while Wish support not only heals up Heatran but can also offset damage taken by Rillaboom from hazards and Wood Hammer recoil. These also synergise well with Torterra, as Alomomola can wish pass to heal up Tort if it takes damage while attempting a sweep, Heatran resists all 4 of Torterra's weaknesses and Rillaboom powers up Bullet Seed into a 130-162.5BP STAB option with Grassy Terrain while also providing some passive recovery.

Great Tusk is a logical pairing with these mons, as hazard control is an important consideration when Heatran, Rillaboom and Torterra will take them on entering the field; this slot was initially a Leftovers support Tusk set, but the team struggled heavily with speed control and so Booster Speed allows for Tusk to act as a check to faster mons like Dragapult, Weavile and the Ogerpons while Tera Poison gives it a much better chance of muscling through Zamazenta. Wish passing helps to offset the lack of Leftovers or Boots and better check Kingambit over the course of a game.

Although this team has Heatran as a Fairy resist, with these members it struggles against CC Iron Valiant, Earth Power Enamorus and gets rolled over hard by sun, as even with Sp.Def investment Alomomola is OHKOd by Booster Sp.Atk Wake's Draco. Zamazenta is also an issue, as Iron Defense - Body Press variants would typically force Tera Ghost on Heatran or Tera Poison Great Tusk (which still doesn't comfortably beat it without prior chip). Enter Slowking-Galar, who can not only provide key resistances but act as another bulky pivot to bring in Torterra, with Future Sight support being fantastic as FS -> Chilly into Tort will often force the Torterra answer to stay off the field for another turn and allow for a Shell Smash. Toxic Spikes is a great niche option that I've been teching onto GKing recently as many offensive teams will have no absorber or the absorber will come in on GKing, while FSight forces in things like Lu that hate the status; it also can help as an unexpected option if the Tspike absorber ever goes down and softens up a team for Torterra to sweep, with mons like ID Zamazenta no longer able to set up and wall the turtle. Tera Grass exists as a panic check to the threatening Ogerpon-W, but isn't usually necessary.

Hope you enjoy the team! Let me know if you want any more details on the spreads, and this team initially had an Ursaluna over the Torterra (hint: the Shadow Ball switch in is now uhhhhh keep Heatran healthy with Wish and don't let max hazards go up). Wish Pass Bulky Offence is one of my favourite more niche playstyles that I've found success with this gen and it enables Tort to come in and set up a Shell Smash more than once per game, have done a little testing on the ladder and got up to the 1700s with it so it's definitely functional even if there may be better mons for this than Torterra lmao. Also if you run into stall with this core it's genuinely pretty unlosable because double regen + Heatran + Band Rilla which is always a nice feeling, Tort can kinda just sit back and watch for that matchup although being a setup sweeper that threatens Dondozo is very fun.

Place your vote for the best :torterra: team by Tuesday, November 28th!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)